Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Uhhhh...Macon tweet

Started by batmanfan, April 14, 2017, 08:17:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawg66

Lots of kids quit college to take a job. Not usually the best decision but not an unusual one.

niels_boar

Quote from: hawg66 on April 20, 2017, 10:49:31 am
Lots of kids quit college to take a job. Not usually the best decision but not an unusual one.

Lots of kids are also paying their own way or accumulating debt to go to college.  College is expensive. One problem with the "they can always finish school later" argument is that they now have to pay their own way.  That's a big hit to the money that you earn for just one extra year in Europe.  Also, there are horror stories about not getting paid at all overseas.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/9/20/2436043/nba-overseas-payment-dan-grunfeld

It's far from a certainty, but both Barford and Macon have skills that translate to the NBA.  If I were a scout, I would be intrigued by Barford's ability to finish in traffic, and he looks capable of significantly improving his accuracy on jump shots. 

Likewise, Macon can make treys off the bounce.  A lot of guys can down about 40% from the arc after a pass from penetration, but the skill to create and make a shot from range is a lot less common.  He needs to improve his ballhandling to make himself a viable point guard at the next level. His template ought to be Malcolm Delaney, who is the same size and was a very similar player in college, i.e. a 6-3 combo guard who was more a scorer than a distributor.  Macon is probably a better athlete than Delaney.  Delaney was able to convince the NBA that he could play PG after five years in Europe.  Macon could accelerate that process and draw a lot more attention by schooling opponents like UK on national TV next season.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

azhog10

If he's not attending classes it would be pretty easy for the staff to know they have two scholarships to fill instead of just one. So if we get two commits in the coming weeks we know exactly where we are at. I really like Macon, I think he could have a heck of a season next year. But the drama with the tweets, and deleting them, has gotten old. There is little to no excuse to leaving. I have a number of former teammates of mine that are playing over seas that worked out with NBA teams and have played in some of the top leagues over seas. Not a single one sniffed six figures in their first two or three seasons. None of them played on the same team from one year to the next. Getting his degree will be more beneficial to him than the 6-10 seasons he may get over seas. Get that paid for now and then make your money and get out.

IF not, then just go, let the staff find your replacement and let us all move on.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: navyhog24 on April 20, 2017, 09:08:03 am
Supposedly, Macon hasn't been attending classes. I don't know if this means anything or how true/false it may be. Just passing it along.
Where did you get this info? I mean from somebody that would know? I haven't read that anywhere but from you that he isn't going to class?

PorkRinds

FWIW Dudley just said on the radio that from what he's hearing he expects Macon to leave and play overseas.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 21, 2017, 04:49:53 pm
FWIW Dudley just said on the radio that from what he's hearing he expects Macon to leave and play overseas.

I remember Dudley saying several times that he believed Portis and Qualls were both coming back.  Let's hope his accuracy here is the same.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Letsroll1200

What show?

HOGINTENNESSEE

Did he say anything on Barford?

Quote from: azhog10 on April 20, 2017, 02:20:03 pm
If he's not attending classes it would be pretty easy for the staff to know they have two scholarships to fill instead of just one. So if we get two commits in the coming weeks we know exactly where we are at. I really like Macon, I think he could have a heck of a season next year. But the drama with the tweets, and deleting them, has gotten old. There is little to no excuse to leaving. I have a number of former teammates of mine that are playing over seas that worked out with NBA teams and have played in some of the top leagues over seas. Not a single one sniffed six figures in their first two or three seasons. None of them played on the same team from one year to the next. Getting his degree will be more beneficial to him than the 6-10 seasons he may get over seas. Get that paid for now and then make your money and get out.

IF not, then just go, let the staff find your replacement and let us all move on.
True. Also takes away the excuse "we were stunned he left so we didn't fill the spot."

FineAsSwine

Hogs up! Covid down!

Hawg Red

Hawg Red

I hope Daryl sees a greater value in playing in the SEC next year rather than a lower-level foreign league where he may not get the money agreed to.

PorkRinds

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 21, 2017, 06:33:00 pm
Did he say anything on Barford?

He said he expects barford back and Macon to leave.  Basically said Macon realizes he may not be an NBA prospect so why not go now? At least that was my impression of what he said.

FineAsSwine

Wish he would make his decision official so the coaches can get his spot filled.
Hogs up! Covid down!

FineAsSwine

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 21, 2017, 07:07:02 pm
He said he expects barford back and Macon to leave.  Basically said Macon realizes he may not be an NBA prospect so why not go now? At least that was my impression of what he said.

Very pragmatic, if true.
Hogs up! Covid down!

batmanfan

It sure seems like Macon is leaning that way,which means this staff needs to really get on it and find a grad transfer or a juco guard to help soften the blow. I'm not expecting that however.....
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

latrops

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 20, 2017, 10:13:19 am
I just simply don't agree with you. Again, we're not talking about a kidding making the decision to pass on millions of dollars to return to school for one last season. We're talking about a kid making the decision to pass on tens of thousands of dollars in a foreign country to return for his senior season (and he's only played one season at his dream school).

This times a thousand.

Yes, good college players can make a decent living playing overseas.  The more lucrative deals that would compel someone to leave school early, however, aren't automatic.     

rzrbackramsfan

Wow I guess he was probably in a juco in the first place cause he hates school.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: batmanfan on April 21, 2017, 07:46:36 pm
It sure seems like Macon is leaning that way,which means this staff needs to really get on it and find a grad transfer or a juco guard to help soften the blow. I'm not expecting that however.....

Juco market is weak this year. Quality grad transfers are hard to get.

Our hope will probably have to be that one of Garland or Hall is ready right away. And of course that assuming CJ is the impact player we all think he can be.

batmanfan

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 21, 2017, 07:53:54 pm
Juco market is weak this year. Quality grad transfers are hard to get.

Our hope will probably have to be that one of Garland or Hall is ready right away. And of course that assuming CJ is the impact player we all think he can be.

Yet Florida, Okie St., Ole Miss are all getting quality grad transfers. Our best shot was likely Crawford but it sure did seem like we took our sweet little ole time contacting him. Not alot of effort there it seemed.

Darrington, a scoring guard from the Juco ranks would also be a good option. But that might make to much sense as well.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

jjdlc

If Macon goes, it probably makes Hardy a more realistic possibility since playing time would be more readily available.  Hope it gets sorted soon, glad the coaches seem to be working hard to cover the possibility.

King Kong

Quote from: batmanfan on April 21, 2017, 08:14:18 pm
Yet Florida, Okie St., Ole Miss are all getting quality grad transfers. Our best shot was likely Crawford but it sure did seem like we took our sweet little ole time contacting him. Not alot of effort there it seemed.

Darrington, a scoring guard from the Juco ranks would also be a good option. But that might make to much sense as well.

Okay, you want a cookie? Would that help you act like you aren't on your period?

batmanfan

Hey, just calling it like I see it. Right now it looks like another Spring whiff fest that we are all use 2 at this point. Let's hope it gets turned around.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: batmanfan on April 21, 2017, 08:34:21 pm
Hey, just calling it like I see it. Right now it looks like another Spring whiff fest that we are all use 2 at this point. Let's hope it gets turned around.

I agree just the truth. We seem at this time to be lagging.

reddawg213

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on April 21, 2017, 08:53:14 pm
I agree just the truth. We seem at this time to be lagging.

Not good when you have 3 guards thinking of walking. . . . .

batmanfan

ShadowHawg

Quote from: batmanfan on April 21, 2017, 08:14:18 pm

We keep getting shot down because of playing time and location have hurt us.

Crawford went to Ole Miss because it's practically the next thing to Memphis.

Smith went to Tech onerous playing time. Hardy has stalled because of playing time.

Macon announcing either way would help a ton.

jjdlc

SONofHAM

We shouldn't be surprised.  Macon and Barford said they planned on leaving after 1 year here when they signed. 

Coaches should have been prepared for this.  Hopefully there were.
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: SONofHAM on April 21, 2017, 11:58:12 pm
We shouldn't be surprised.  Macon and Barford said they planned on leaving after 1 year here when they signed. 

Coaches should have been prepared for this.  Hopefully there were.

Not exactly what they said.

SONofHAM

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 22, 2017, 12:14:11 am
Not exactly what they said.
Ummm, yes.  They have been talking about being one and done since before the 16-17 season.

King Kong

Quote from: SONofHAM on April 22, 2017, 12:23:21 am
Ummm, yes.  They have been talking about being one and done since before the 16-17 season.

They said if they come in we do want they are capable of they could possibly be one and done.

They never said we will only play one year. That would not be correct

SONofHAM

Quote from: King Kong on April 22, 2017, 12:25:35 am
They said if they come in we do want they are capable of they could possibly be one and done.

They never said we will only play one year. That would not be correct
You guys can argue semantics all you want.  The point of the post is that these 2 have been saying their goals are to be at Arkansas for 1 year as far back as when they signed. 

This shouldn't be shocking to the coaches.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: SONofHAM on April 22, 2017, 12:23:21 am

Ummm....No it wasn't. You are  exaggerating what was actually said.

King Kong

Quote from: SONofHAM on April 22, 2017, 12:29:35 am
You guys can argue semantics all you want.  The point of the post is that these 2 have been saying their goals are to be at Arkansas for 1 year as far back as when they signed. 

This shouldn't be shocking to the coaches.

I'm sure it's every top prospects goal to be a one and done. Doesn't make it a reality. My Madden told ppl he would be here 2 years tops. Played all 4

SONofHAM

Quote from: King Kong on April 22, 2017, 12:36:49 am
I'm sure it's every top prospects goal to be a one and done. Doesn't make it a reality. My Madden told ppl he would be here 2 years tops. Played all 4
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=612246.0

I'm not sure what you're arguing.  They brought up the possibility of leaving after one year.  The coaches knew this.  Gotta have a plan in place just in case.  I'm not saying they failed to do so...just saying I hope they have a card up their sleeves in case they do opt to leave.

King Kong

Quote from: SONofHAM on April 22, 2017, 12:43:24 am
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=612246.0

I'm not sure what you're arguing.  They brought up the possibility of leaving after one year.  The coaches knew this.  Gotta have a plan in place just in case.  I'm not saying they failed to do so...just saying I hope they have a card up their sleeves in case they do opt to leave.

I listened to the interview. I know what was said. Apparently you haven't.

TNhawgfan

So there's no chance with a great senior season he could be an NBA signee?
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: TNhawgfan on April 22, 2017, 09:02:15 am

Yep. A great Senior year won't make him 6'5

SONofHAM

Quote from: King Kong on April 22, 2017, 01:32:33 am
I listened to the interview. I know what was said. Apparently you haven't.
So signed recruits go on statewide radio and mention the possibility of leaving after one year.  What am I missing?

They gave the coaching staff a full year's warning that this could happen.  Surely they are prepared?

PorkRinds

Quote from: TNhawgfan on April 22, 2017, 09:02:15 am

Not my contention. Just what impression I got from DD.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 22, 2017, 09:03:46 am
Yep. A great Senior year won't make him 6'5

There are plent of people in the NBA not 6'5

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on April 22, 2017, 10:48:12 am

There is 2 players currently that are both 5'9".
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

FineAsSwine

Quote from: The ColonelHog on April 22, 2017, 11:26:34 am
I just don't understand all the hand wringing about whether one or both of these young men stay or go.  Does anyone on this board really think a coach who has been in the business as long as CMA not understand some young men will leave early, not transition to college life and not meet academic standards, or even get injured?  I keep seeing some posters suggesting losing players is a shock to the coaching staff.  None of us on HV has a clue concerning his strategy on building HIS program.  For all we know, CJ was the better shooter of he and Macon but could have been in CMA's dog house.  His intent may be to turn over PG duties to Beard.  Who knows his plans and I find it quit entertaining reading all the posts by all these premier D1 coaches on HV.  Lol!  That's why I have to read more and more.  It just crack me up so much!  LOL!

Yeah, it's like open mike night at the local comedy club. Maybe should change the name to Comedy Central cause that what it seems like sometimes.
Hogs up! Covid down!

King Kong

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on April 22, 2017, 10:48:12 am

Yep, and the majority aren't playing off guard

HOGINTENNESSEE

April 22, 2017, 11:44:30 am #296 Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 02:13:18 pm by HOGINTENNESSEE
Quote from: HiggiePiggy on April 22, 2017, 11:06:47 am
There is 2 players currently that are both 5'9".

Not playing shooting guard or small forward.

Listen the NBA has prototype sizes they want from certain positions Macon doesn't fit that. Now of course there are exceptions Malik Monk will be one.

Hawg Red

So much noise around this situation.

I hope Daryl stays because it'd be what's best for everyone (him, us, program), but if he has made his mind up to leave, he needs to announce that publicly so we can move on hopefully seal the deal with Amauri Hardy.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 22, 2017, 11:56:04 am
So much noise around this situation.

I hope Daryl stays because it'd be what's best for everyone (him, us, program), but if he has made his mind up to leave, he needs to announce that publicly so we can move on hopefully seal the deal with Amauri Hardy.

I think he has one foot out the door. Maybe he has a last minute change of heart though. Would be nice for the teams prospects next year.

Still, if ya gonna go, now would be a good time to go ahead and sign with an agent and remove all doubt.
Hogs up! Covid down!

TexArkHogFan

As I understand it, both Macon and Barford have declared for the NBA draft without signing an agent.  Now supposedly Macon already knows he ain't gonna be drafted so his only option if playing overseas.  If that be the case, my question is why the delay.  If he knows he's going overseas why hasn't he already done so?  That's why I believe their intentions is to get a feel for what they need to improve on and come back for another year just as Moses did.  Now, they may have said they wanted to be one and done before the season started but since found out it ain't all that easy.  As my old granny used to say "don't develop champagne taste on a beer pocketbook".
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming