Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Uhhhh...Macon tweet

Started by batmanfan, April 14, 2017, 08:17:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TexArkHogFan

If they stick around and have even a remote possibility of being drafted in the NBA next year, a signing bonus even in the late second round will more than make up for a lost 50,000 for playing overseas for one year - and many more. Unless somebody is telling them a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. then let's hope they both can see further down the road than the next stop light. 
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

latrops

Quote from: What's Shakin' Macon on April 17, 2017, 07:19:33 pm
For those who are certain this means Macon is leaving, the question of why he hasn't hired an agent is unavoidable. I would like to hear an explanation.

I know things usually don't swing this way in Hogs' basketball, but I'm gonna predict both come back.

There is no certainty at this point.  Initially it was reasonably interpreted as Macon looking back at his time as a Hog fondly...but also in the past tense.  Given that the tweet has been deleted and he hasn't clarified anything, we are back in wait and see mode.

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 17, 2017, 04:38:31 pm
The key is to recruit and coach up quality players every year.  Yes, other programs lose players, too.  The ones that are successful year after year don't have to discuss for three years how much better they would have been if a player or two had stayed around.

true, but that is a different conversation. A conversation that was had after Portis and Qualls left.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HoopS

Quote from: hogsanity on April 17, 2017, 08:06:38 pm
true, but that is a different conversation. A conversation that was had after Portis and Qualls left.
and lasted one season not three.

factchecker

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 17, 2017, 08:31:44 am
South Carolina just got hit bad with it too:

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/853960605593726976

Crazy..... seems like we aren't the only one's who has this issue.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

rzrbackramsfan

Dozier is a second rounder at least

Big Nasty 34

It surprises me that we're having these conversations about Macon and not Barford. Jaylen has a son to provide for, while I thought Macon's Arkansas' pride and drive to bring us back to greatness would leave him hungry for a senior season. Hoping they both make the right decision and return to the Hill. But, it is Arkansas hoops so not getting my hopes up lol.

hogsanity

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on April 18, 2017, 08:45:53 am
Hoping they both make the right decision and return to the Hill.

I keep seeing this, but how do any of us KNOW that is the right decision FOR THEM? We want them back because we think it will help the team win, I get that, but lets not act like it is because we think it is best for them, it is best for us, as fans.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HogBeliever625

Quote from: hogsanity on April 18, 2017, 10:32:04 am
I keep seeing this, but how do any of us KNOW that is the right decision FOR THEM? We want them back because we think it will help the team win, I get that, but lets not act like it is because we think it is best for them, it is best for us, as fans.
Because there goal is to make as much money as they can and they will get more of it by returning.

hogsanity

Quote from: HogBeliever625 on April 18, 2017, 10:53:24 am
Because there goal is to make as much money as they can and they will get more of it by returning.

Again, there is no way to prove that. We, as fans, want them back to win games. I am fine admitting that, but I do not presume to know what is the best decision for them.

hvsupastar

Olu Famutimi.... lets hold off on that sequel
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: hogsanity on April 18, 2017, 10:32:04 am

I mean if it was all about money, they could've gone overseas right after JUCO ball I'm sure. If it's about making it to the NBA, then they need to come back and continue improving on fine tuning their games.

hogsanity

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on April 18, 2017, 11:32:49 am
I mean if it was all about money, they could've gone overseas right after JUCO ball I'm sure. If it's about making it to the NBA, then they need to come back and continue improving on fine tuning their games.

I am not arguing that is a wrong view. I just find it funny how many here, never having met them think they KNOW what is best for these two guys. I want them to come back because it makes the team better, that part I do know.

niels_boar

Dozier shot 45% from the field, 30% from the arc, 60% from the line, and had a sub-100 ORtg.  Otherwise, a can't-miss NBA prospect.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

The Hogfather

Quote from: hogsanity on April 18, 2017, 11:19:17 am
Again, there is no way to prove that. We, as fans, want them back to win games. I am fine admitting that, but I do not presume to know what is the best decision for them.

I love guys like you who say things like, "only they know what is best for them and their family", etc., like kids their age don't get caught up in visions of grandeur and f up their lives all the time by making the "right decision for their family".  Just because they make a decision doesn't mean it is the BEST decision.  Many times for kids this age, it is NOT.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: factchecker on April 18, 2017, 12:45:04 am
Crazy..... seems like we aren't the only one's who has this issue.

Signing with a agent! Big difference

hogsanity

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 18, 2017, 01:59:51 pm
I love guys like you who say things like, "only they know what is best for them and their family", etc., like kids their age don't get caught up in visions of grandeur and f up their lives all the time by making the "right decision for their family".  Just because they make a decision doesn't mean it is the BEST decision.  Many times for kids this age, it is NOT.

Never said they will make the best decision, I said none of us knows what the best decision is for the players, we know what is best for us as fans.

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on April 18, 2017, 11:32:49 am

Very true.  There is more to this equation than up front money.  Playing as a junior got them (1) exposure, (2) development (both physical and of their skillset), and (3) maturity.  And truthfully, if your primary concern is leveraging your professional basketball window for maximization of career money, #3 on that list is probably most important of all....who cares how much money you make at age 20 if it's all gone by age 25. 

Who knows how much each of those three factors will be further enhanced by playing as a senior as well.  Definitely helped them as a junior.  Like I said, it is a complex equation.  Hard to do a discounted cash flow model on maturity.   

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: hogsanity on April 19, 2017, 08:49:53 am
Never said they will make the best decision, I said none of us knows what the best decision is for the players, we know what is best for us as fans.

You're right, none of us are God no need to act like we are. It sure would be nice to have them back though!

The Hogfather

Quote from: hogsanity on April 19, 2017, 08:49:53 am

We're on a message board.  I think a decision to leave school at this point would be terrible.  Could they end up doing well?  Sure.  I think they lower their odds of being successful in the future by leaving before finishing at the U of A (basketball/degree).  I would say the same thing if they were players at any other school.  This isn't me saying this from the perspective of what is best for Arkansas basketball.

jry04

Quote from: HogBeliever625 on April 18, 2017, 10:53:24 am
Not necessarily. Macon likely has no chance to go to the NBA out of college. He is going to go overseas or the d-league whenever he is done regardless of coming back another year, in my opinion. If he leaves now, he has an extra year added to his career of being paid to play basketball. Let's say he will make $100k next year in a foreign country playing basketball. Will him returning allow him to make so much more money that it will make up for leaving 6 figures on the table this year? You also have to keep in mind that the second contract is where you see a big boost in money. Let's say Macon plans on playing 10 more years in his career. He leaves this year, so he has 10 years as a pro. His first 4 years he is on contract for $100k/yr. That totals $400k in 4 years plus has an opportunity to get to the second contract by 2021, where he may make $500k/yr for his last 6 years as a pro. That would mean in his 10 years as a pro he totals $3.4 million in his 10 year career. Under the same scenario, he goes back to school for 1 of his 10 years. Now he is not getting his 2nd contract until 2022, and has just 5 years of pro basketball left before he plans on retiring. He came back to school and made himself more money at $150k/yr for 4 years totaling $600k on his first contract, but his $500k/yr for 5 years on his second contract only nets him $3.1 million in his career. So his maximum potential earnings may actually be less for his career despite being more on his first contract if he returns to college for 1 more year just because he will play less years on a larger contract due to playing an extra year in college.

FYI, this is all speculation because I have no clue what the market for him would be overseas. I am just using it as an example of how it could be beneficial for him to leave. People think coming back to school and making a few thousand or hundred thousand more makes you more money, but in the life of a career if you have a contract you should take it because you only have so many years to play. Portis may see a few million dollar boost when he signs a new deal in a couple of years. Had he returned to Arkansas, he may have made himself a few hundred thousand in his first few years on his rookie contract, but it would have taken him longer to get that second contract that will pay him millions more, so he actually made the right decision for his career.

The Hogfather

Quote from: jry04 on April 19, 2017, 09:32:11 am
Not necessarily. Macon likely has no chance to go to the NBA out of college. He is going to go overseas or the d-league whenever he is done regardless of coming back another year, in my opinion. If he leaves now, he has an extra year added to his career of being paid to play basketball. Let's say he will make $100k next year in a foreign country playing basketball. Will him returning allow him to make so much more money that it will make up for leaving 6 figures on the table this year? You also have to keep in mind that the second contract is where you see a big boost in money. Let's say Macon plans on playing 10 more years in his career. He leaves this year, so he has 10 years as a pro. His first 4 years he is on contract for $100k/yr. That totals $400k in 4 years plus has an opportunity to get to the second contract by 2021, where he may make $500k/yr for his last 6 years as a pro. That would mean in his 10 years as a pro he totals $3.4 million in his 10 year career. Under the same scenario, he goes back to school for 1 of his 10 years. Now he is not getting his 2nd contract until 2022, and has just 5 years of pro basketball left before he plans on retiring. He came back to school and made himself more money at $150k/yr for 4 years totaling $600k on his first contract, but his $500k/yr for 5 years on his second contract only nets him $3.1 million in his career. So his maximum potential earnings may actually be less for his career despite being more on his first contract if he returns to college for 1 more year just because he will play less years on a larger contract due to playing an extra year in college.

FYI, this is all speculation because I have no clue what the market for him would be overseas. I am just using it as an example of how it could be beneficial for him to leave. People think coming back to school and making a few thousand or hundred thousand more makes you more money, but in the life of a career if you have a contract you should take it because you only have so many years to play. Portis may see a few million dollar boost when he signs a new deal in a couple of years. Had he returned to Arkansas, he may have made himself a few hundred thousand in his first few years on his rookie contract, but it would have taken him longer to get that second contract that will pay him millions more, so he actually made the right decision for his career.

1st, I think $100k would be pretty high for a player like him in his 1st year.  2nd, your scenario assumes he gets a baller 2nd contract.  Whether he wants to or not, he should be planning for a scenario in which he doesn't even make it through his 1st contract.

Your logic is correct for guys who are basically locks to be drafted and make it to that 2nd contract in a position to get a baller contract.  Macon/Barford definitely aren't in that category, although they could still possibly make it there.

Hawg Red

My assumption based on the fragmented knowledge I have on the subject is that, in Year 1, Macon would likely fetch something like 60-70k overseas. Would be in a lesser league in Serbia, Poland or the Czech Republic similar to where Marshawn Powell and Rashad Madden ended up. It's okay money, really. But I'm not sure how strong those leagues are in terms of making payments on time or perks (like taxes paid, living arrangements paid for, etc.). You get those perks on Euroleague teams, but I don't think people understand how few teams are actually "Euroleague" teams. There are teams and leagues of all sizes all over the globe. Not all of those leagues/teams are paying six figures. So for Macon to come out now as a non-NBA prospect really puts him at risk to end up in one of these potentially nebulous leagues. He has no name right now. He's not going to be highly-sought after on the international market. Also, we have to keep in mind that many leagues place a restriction on the number of foreign players a team is allowed to have, so he'd have that working against him. There is no doubt he can make money as professional basketball, but there is a great, great amount of doubt as to whether or not it'd be a good decision to do that right now. The best players that don't get drafted or sign with NBA teams as undrafted free agents or as D-League placements (meaning a team signs them to a partially guaranteed contract with the full intent to cut them and retain their D-League rights, allowing the player to pull in close or just over six figures between that guaranteed money and D-League pay) are the ones who are going to get those six figure paydays as rookies overseas. There's a pecking order over there, too, and outside the NBA, teams value experience. Macon has a lot to work on. His best shot, undoubtedly, is to come back to school even if he's never going to play in the NBA. Needs to have a strong senior season if he wants to walk into an overseas league command a contract at or more than 100k annually.

navyhog24

Then take into account how much the Euro is to the dollar. $70k in the US isn't that much in Europe

niels_boar

April 19, 2017, 11:26:58 am #224 Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 01:32:40 pm by niels_boar
If the salary scale comments are accurate, getting a degree in an employable field is worth a lot more over a lifetime than a European career.  It's certainly worth a lot more than one extra year in Europe.  Total cost of attendance at U of A is supposedly about  $24,000 per year.  Subtract that from your first-year salary if you ultimately want to come back and finish your degree.

In the last five years only 12 of a possible 50 slots for All-Euroleague were filled by Americans.  Of those Americans the only one who went undrafted and has ever signed an NBA contract to this point is Malcolm Delaney, who became the backup PG for Atlanta this season.  The odds aren't great of making it back to the NBA if you get drafted in the second round and get stashed in Europe for seasoning, but they are a lot better than going over there undrafted.  Even Beverley was initially drafted in the second round.

I just don't see where it makes a lot of financial sense in the long term to leave one year early for Europe.  If Europe is your primary option, the books on the desk are more of a golden ticket.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

colbs

Also, it was pointed out on Bo's show he would have a lot more NBA scouts watching him in the SEC vs overseas.  Especially if he ended up in a lesser league overseas.

bob slydell

Quote from: navyhog24 on April 19, 2017, 10:43:53 am
Then take into account how much the Euro is to the dollar. $70k in the US isn't that much in Europe

$70K would be €65,352.  It's actually pretty close to 1 to 1 rate now.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

VirginiaHog

Until he signs with an agent, I will continue to believe that he is coming back.

hogsanity

Are either of them likely draft picks after the 17/18 season?

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on April 19, 2017, 12:46:04 pm
Are either of them likely draft picks after the 17/18 season?

If they both come back and work on their game and become All-SEC guards on a potential Sweet 16 team....yeah, I think they could get selected.

jry04

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 19, 2017, 10:19:15 am
1st, I think $100k would be pretty high for a player like him in his 1st year.  2nd, your scenario assumes he gets a baller 2nd contract.  Whether he wants to or not, he should be planning for a scenario in which he doesn't even make it through his 1st contract.

Your logic is correct for guys who are basically locks to be drafted and make it to that 2nd contract in a position to get a baller contract.  Macon/Barford definitely aren't in that category, although they could still possibly make it there.
100k is an example, not me saying they will. It was an easy number to use. That is why I said I do not know what he would get.

Also, for those saying they could make the NBA if they come back, I just do not see it for Macon. Barford definitely could with improvement, but Macon is D-league or over seas regardless in my opinion, so I would not blame him to just head there now.

The Hogfather

Quote from: jry04 on April 19, 2017, 01:45:21 pm
100k is an example, not me saying they will. It was an easy number to use. That is why I said I do not know what he would get.

Also, for those saying they could make the NBA if they come back, I just do not see it for Macon. Barford definitely could with improvement, but Macon is D-league or over seas regardless in my opinion, so I would not blame him to just head there now.

That makes no sense.  Even more reason for him to stay and get a degree.  Also, I think Macon could play his way into being drafted.  He has a lot of work to do in the offseason, but if he puts on a few pounds and works on his defense, I think he could be drafted or at least get a look from some teams.

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 19, 2017, 01:07:19 pm
If they both come back and work on their game and become All-SEC guards on a potential Sweet 16 team....yeah, I think they could get selected.

Now we are getting to the heart of the issue for both. They are borderline NBA draft prospects, at best, even with another really good year. So, is the risk of coming back for no $$$ worth it when they could go somewhere and get paid ( maybe not great pay, but pay none the less ).

jry04

Quote from: hogsanity on April 19, 2017, 03:28:34 pm
Now we are getting to the heart of the issue for both. They are borderline NBA draft prospects, at best, even with another really good year. So, is the risk of coming back for no $$$ worth it when they could go somewhere and get paid ( maybe not great pay, but pay none the less ).
Exactly. You can make a case for both to stay or go. If they truly want to give the NBA every shot they can until their exhaust all eligibility, then fine. I think Barford has much more potential to get drafted than Macon, but it is just my opinion. Regardless, they can play for free another year and probably go overseas, or they can go overseas and start making money now.

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 19, 2017, 02:02:53 pm
That makes no sense.  Even more reason for him to stay and get a degree.  Also, I think Macon could play his way into being drafted.  He has a lot of work to do in the offseason, but if he puts on a few pounds and works on his defense, I think he could be drafted or at least get a look from some teams.
How does it make not make sense? People keep saying "if he comes back to school he could be drafted, but if he leaves now he has no chance." In my opinion, he has no chance either way. There isn't a huge market for a 6'2" 180lb SG who is an average defender. He would have to play PG, and I am not sure he can play PG at the NBA level. If you are going overseas now or in a year to make money playing basketball, why not just go now and make your money? You only have so long to play basketball, but you can come back and finish your last year or two of school anytime. I personally think Macon is good enough to show out for 3-4 years and get a really good second contract in a foreign league.

hawgfan4life

Staying and helping AR Basketball raise its level of performance by advancing, while deepening their endearment to AR fans could mean far greater long term value and money than simply going overseas one year early for a modest income.  Stay, get a degree, prove your ability to stick things through, and etc can possibly mean far more over time through job opportunities with corporations and boosters that are "friends" to the program.  Leave early, and that lifetime opportunity goes with you out the door.

hogsanity

Quote from: hawgfan4life on April 19, 2017, 04:03:28 pm
Staying and helping AR Basketball raise its level of performance by advancing, while deepening their endearment to AR fans could mean far greater long term value and money than simply going overseas one year early for a modest income.  Stay, get a degree, prove your ability to stick things through, and etc can possibly mean far more over time through job opportunities with corporations and boosters that are "friends" to the program.  Leave early, and that lifetime opportunity goes with you out the door.

I wont argue the value of a degree, but the rest is romanticized thoughts on how beloved Razorback ( and the same with other schools in their own states ) athletes are. Not saying boosters do not hire ex-players, but it is not as often as people think.

EastexHawg

What are their majors and what are the average salaries for the first five years out of college for graduates with their degrees?  That's assuming that a player who stays for his senior year of eligibility actually gets a degree.

Hawg Red

Their international stock is more important, IMO. Coming back makes the most sense no matter how you slice it. I don't think either are in a position to command a six-figure salary right now overseas. I wouldn't give up the stage and opportunity their senior season offers for anything less than that. The NBA is unlikely for either, but they could both make some good money overseas. Just not next season. If they feel like their best move to go to how-knows-where and make 50/60/70k (maybe, and if the game checks don't bounce, and if they even get paid when they're supposed and for the full amount), they are really selling themselves short.

B.J. Young has played in two different countries (Georgia and Slovakia) in two different seasons since leaving the D-League (can't find any info on where he played this season). Marshawn Powell has played in Italy, Germany, and I'm pretty sure at least two other countries. Rashad Madden's gone from Poland to Greece to Israel. Courtney Fortson has played China, Turkey, Russia, Venezuela, and Romania. There's a reason why it seems like these players are playing for a different team in a different country every year. It's not a stable situation most of the time. People act like these guys can just go overseas and rake in six figures and it's not always like that. You come back to school and you can at least give yourself another shot at the NBA and you can improve your international profile and hopefully get on with a good, stable club over there. I guarantee you between the former Hogs I just mentioned that there are more than a couple missed paychecks.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 19, 2017, 04:48:59 pm
Their international stock is more important, IMO. Coming back makes the most sense no matter how you slice it. I don't think either are in a position to command a six-figure salary right now overseas. I wouldn't give up the stage and opportunity their senior season offers for anything less than that. The NBA is unlikely for either, but they could both make some good money overseas. Just not next season. If they feel like their best move to go to how-knows-where and make 50/60/70k (maybe, and if the game checks don't bounce, and if they even get paid when they're supposed and for the full amount), they are really selling themselves short.

B.J. Young has played in two different countries (Georgia and Slovakia) in two different seasons since leaving the D-League (can't find any info on where he played this season). Marshawn Powell has played in Italy, Germany, and I'm pretty sure at least two other countries. Rashad Madden's gone from Poland to Greece to Israel. Courtney Fortson has played China, Turkey, Russia, Venezuela, and Romania. There's a reason why it seems like these players are playing for a different team in a different country every year. It's not a stable situation most of the time. People act like these guys can just go overseas and rake in six figures and it's not always like that. You come back to school and you can at least give yourself another shot at the NBA and you can improve your international profile and hopefully get on with a good, stable club over there. I guarantee you between the former Hogs I just mentioned that there are more than a couple missed paychecks.
I'd be interested in what the average salary is for players of Macon/Barford skill level overseas. I'd guess it's no less than 50k and no more than 100k, but you raise a good point when asking if it is worth it. I watched a documentary a few years ago, and it followed two guys playing overseas and the ups and downs of that. They missed getting their regular paycheck on multiple occasions and had more headaches with the team owner than they could ultimately tolerate. Including randomly not having a coach for a game or two stretch, a multitude of times.
Additionally, one has to ask if moving is worth it for that level of salary. If I received an offer from a company in Greece for twice my current yearly salary, and it promised to be a more fulfilling/easier position, I'm still not sure it would be worth it. To leave one's family, live where you don't speak the language, and just deal with the adjustment of living in a foreign country, is it possibly worth it?

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: hogsanity on April 19, 2017, 04:18:27 pm
I wont argue the value of a degree, but the rest is romanticized thoughts on how beloved Razorback ( and the same with other schools in their own states ) athletes are. Not saying boosters do not hire ex-players, but it is not as often as people think.

You are wrong! Just dead wrong I know this for a fact. Play for the Hogs and you will have all kinds of opportunity it's there. Up to you how you handle yourself but you get taken care of to speak as long as you are a decent human .

rzrbackramsfan

Holy ish.  We gotta get this message to Macon and Barford. 

azhog10

Quote from: jry04 on April 19, 2017, 09:32:11 am

he ain't making 100k his first year if he goes out.

King Kong

One thing I would add is those teams have a limit to # of Foreign players they can have on their roster. Which adds to the constant changing of teams.

Hawg Red

Quote from: King Kong on April 20, 2017, 06:16:18 am
One thing I would add is those teams have a limit to # of Foreign players they can have on their roster. Which adds to the constant changing of teams.

Yes, I mentioned the limit on foreign players in post #229 but not in the one you quoted. It limits the spots available in good leagues and causes players to just from team/country to team/country. Makes it all that more important to be able to sign a stable contract (I need to look into how feasible this statement is).

There's also the intangible at play here. The sentimental. No amount of money in the world can buy back that senior year playing for the Hogs. That might not mean as much to Barford (who, by all accounts, seems intent on returning after getting feedback), but we know it was a dream for Macon. It'd be understandable to end that dream for millions of dollars or for entry-level spot in the NBA. But is it really worth it for 50-70k in a foreign country? I don't know his financial situation, but I do know that the school is paying for him to sleep and eat, and he's getting stipend. He really doesn't have "bills" like us adults in the real world. I realize he might want to help his family, but the kind of pay we're talking about (if he even gets all of it) isn't going to go very far trying to support multiple people. It's very much short-term money. Is that worth ending your dream when you could come back, get better, improve your standing, and possibly get the Hogs into that Sweet 16-Elite 8 territory? What price do you put on being a central figure in getting the Hogs back into the second weekend of the tournament? He was just months old the last time we were in the Sweet 16. I'd put a much greater value on that than 70k. That's something that will last a lifetime.

navyhog24

Supposedly, Macon hasn't been attending classes. I don't know if this means anything or how true/false it may be. Just passing it along.

Hawg Red

Quote from: navyhog24 on April 20, 2017, 09:08:03 am
Supposedly, Macon hasn't been attending classes. I don't know if this means anything or how true/false it may be. Just passing it along.

If it's true, we all know what it means.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 20, 2017, 08:13:21 am

There's also the intangible at play here. The sentimental. No amount of money in the world can buy back that senior year playing for the Hogs.

Could we romanticize this a little more. Most players are in it to better themselves, where they do that is just a matter of personal choice most of the time. Yes, to a in state player there may be some level of sentimentality. but not to the point that would be the deciding factor on coming back.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 20, 2017, 09:10:28 am
If it's true, we all know what it means.
He's sick ;). :razorback:
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

EastexHawg

Does anyone know were to find recent graduation rates for Razorback men's basketball?  The latest numbers I can find are from 2009.

When I read comments that players need to come back and get their degrees I always wonder how many of them are on track to graduate in another year...or two...or ever.

Hawg Red

Quote from: hogsanity on April 20, 2017, 09:30:28 am
Could we romanticize this a little more. Most players are in it to better themselves, where they do that is just a matter of personal choice most of the time. Yes, to a in state player there may be some level of sentimentality. but not to the point that would be the deciding factor on coming back.

I just simply don't agree with you. Again, we're not talking about a kidding making the decision to pass on millions of dollars to return to school for one last season. We're talking about a kid making the decision to pass on tens of thousands of dollars in a foreign country to return for his senior season (and he's only played one season at his dream school).