• 388,731 Topics
• 22,000 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Uhhhh...Macon tweet  (Read 27627 times)

Hawg Red

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
Re: Uhhhh...Macon tweet
« Reply #250 on: April 20, 2017, 09:10:28 am »

Supposedly, Macon hasn't been attending classes. I don't know if this means anything or how true/false it may be. Just passing it along.

If it's true, we all know what it means.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Is there a problem here?
« Reply #251 on: April 20, 2017, 09:30:28 am »

There's also the intangible at play here. The sentimental. No amount of money in the world can buy back that senior year playing for the Hogs.

Could we romanticize this a little more. Most players are in it to better themselves, where they do that is just a matter of personal choice most of the time. Yes, to a in state player there may be some level of sentimentality. but not to the point that would be the deciding factor on coming back.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Youngsta71701

• There's a God somewhere.
« Reply #252 on: April 20, 2017, 09:47:57 am »

If it's true, we all know what it means.
He's sick ;). :razorback:

EastexHawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #253 on: April 20, 2017, 09:52:08 am »

Does anyone know were to find recent graduation rates for Razorback men's basketball?  The latest numbers I can find are from 2009.

When I read comments that players need to come back and get their degrees I always wonder how many of them are on track to graduate in another year...or two...or ever.

Hawg Red

« Reply #254 on: April 20, 2017, 10:13:19 am »

Could we romanticize this a little more. Most players are in it to better themselves, where they do that is just a matter of personal choice most of the time. Yes, to a in state player there may be some level of sentimentality. but not to the point that would be the deciding factor on coming back.

I just simply don't agree with you. Again, we're not talking about a kidding making the decision to pass on millions of dollars to return to school for one last season. We're talking about a kid making the decision to pass on tens of thousands of dollars in a foreign country to return for his senior season (and he's only played one season at his dream school).

hawg66

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #255 on: April 20, 2017, 10:49:31 am »

Lots of kids quit college to take a job. Not usually the best decision but not an unusual one.

niels_boar

• Varsity
« Reply #256 on: April 20, 2017, 12:46:08 pm »

Lots of kids quit college to take a job. Not usually the best decision but not an unusual one.

Lots of kids are also paying their own way or accumulating debt to go to college.  College is expensive. One problem with the "they can always finish school later" argument is that they now have to pay their own way.  That's a big hit to the money that you earn for just one extra year in Europe.  Also, there are horror stories about not getting paid at all overseas.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/9/20/2436043/nba-overseas-payment-dan-grunfeld

It's far from a certainty, but both Barford and Macon have skills that translate to the NBA.  If I were a scout, I would be intrigued by Barford's ability to finish in traffic, and he looks capable of significantly improving his accuracy on jump shots. 

Likewise, Macon can make treys off the bounce.  A lot of guys can down about 40% from the arc after a pass from penetration, but the skill to create and make a shot from range is a lot less common.  He needs to improve his ballhandling to make himself a viable point guard at the next level. His template ought to be Malcolm Delaney, who is the same size and was a very similar player in college, i.e. a 6-3 combo guard who was more a scorer than a distributor.  Macon is probably a better athlete than Delaney.  Delaney was able to convince the NBA that he could play PG after five years in Europe.  Macon could accelerate that process and draw a lot more attention by schooling opponents like UK on national TV next season.

azhog10

• Razorback Basketball on the rise!
« Reply #257 on: April 20, 2017, 02:20:03 pm »

If he's not attending classes it would be pretty easy for the staff to know they have two scholarships to fill instead of just one. So if we get two commits in the coming weeks we know exactly where we are at. I really like Macon, I think he could have a heck of a season next year. But the drama with the tweets, and deleting them, has gotten old. There is little to no excuse to leaving. I have a number of former teammates of mine that are playing over seas that worked out with NBA teams and have played in some of the top leagues over seas. Not a single one sniffed six figures in their first two or three seasons. None of them played on the same team from one year to the next. Getting his degree will be more beneficial to him than the 6-10 seasons he may get over seas. Get that paid for now and then make your money and get out.

IF not, then just go, let the staff find your replacement and let us all move on.

AlmaHog2011

• Senior
« Reply #258 on: April 20, 2017, 08:08:44 pm »

Supposedly, Macon hasn't been attending classes. I don't know if this means anything or how true/false it may be. Just passing it along.
Where did you get this info? I mean from somebody that would know? I haven't read that anywhere but from you that he isn't going to class?

PorkRinds

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #259 on: April 21, 2017, 04:49:53 pm »

FWIW Dudley just said on the radio that from what he's hearing he expects Macon to leave and play overseas.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #260 on: April 21, 2017, 05:09:33 pm »

FWIW Dudley just said on the radio that from what he's hearing he expects Macon to leave and play overseas.

I remember Dudley saying several times that he believed Portis and Qualls were both coming back.  Let's hope his accuracy here is the same.

Letsroll1200

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #261 on: April 21, 2017, 05:35:54 pm »

What show?

PorkRinds

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #262 on: April 21, 2017, 06:24:50 pm »

HOGINTENNESSEE

• Ryan Mallett: "I don't get nervous"
« Reply #263 on: April 21, 2017, 06:33:00 pm »

Did he say anything on Barford?

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #264 on: April 21, 2017, 06:59:42 pm »

If he's not attending classes it would be pretty easy for the staff to know they have two scholarships to fill instead of just one. So if we get two commits in the coming weeks we know exactly where we are at. I really like Macon, I think he could have a heck of a season next year. But the drama with the tweets, and deleting them, has gotten old. There is little to no excuse to leaving. I have a number of former teammates of mine that are playing over seas that worked out with NBA teams and have played in some of the top leagues over seas. Not a single one sniffed six figures in their first two or three seasons. None of them played on the same team from one year to the next. Getting his degree will be more beneficial to him than the 6-10 seasons he may get over seas. Get that paid for now and then make your money and get out.

IF not, then just go, let the staff find your replacement and let us all move on.
True. Also takes away the excuse "we were stunned he left so we didn't fill the spot."

FineAsSwine

• Hogville think tank
« Reply #265 on: April 21, 2017, 07:04:12 pm »

Has Crawford committed?

Hawg Red

« Reply #266 on: April 21, 2017, 07:04:43 pm »

Hawg Red

« Reply #267 on: April 21, 2017, 07:06:40 pm »

I hope Daryl sees a greater value in playing in the SEC next year rather than a lower-level foreign league where he may not get the money agreed to.

PorkRinds

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #268 on: April 21, 2017, 07:07:02 pm »

Did he say anything on Barford?

He said he expects barford back and Macon to leave.  Basically said Macon realizes he may not be an NBA prospect so why not go now? At least that was my impression of what he said.

FineAsSwine

• Hogville think tank
« Reply #269 on: April 21, 2017, 07:08:02 pm »

Wish he would make his decision official so the coaches can get his spot filled.

FineAsSwine

• Hogville think tank
« Reply #270 on: April 21, 2017, 07:09:17 pm »

He said he expects barford back and Macon to leave.  Basically said Macon realizes he may not be an NBA prospect so why not go now? At least that was my impression of what he said.

Very pragmatic, if true.

batmanfan

• Hogvillian
« Reply #271 on: April 21, 2017, 07:46:36 pm »

It sure seems like Macon is leaning that way,which means this staff needs to really get on it and find a grad transfer or a juco guard to help soften the blow. I'm not expecting that however.....

latrops

« Reply #272 on: April 21, 2017, 07:48:15 pm »

I just simply don't agree with you. Again, we're not talking about a kidding making the decision to pass on millions of dollars to return to school for one last season. We're talking about a kid making the decision to pass on tens of thousands of dollars in a foreign country to return for his senior season (and he's only played one season at his dream school).

This times a thousand.

Yes, good college players can make a decent living playing overseas.  The more lucrative deals that would compel someone to leave school early, however, aren't automatic.     

rzrbackramsfan

• "Winners never quit, quitters never win"
« Reply #273 on: April 21, 2017, 07:53:23 pm »

Wow I guess he was probably in a juco in the first place cause he hates school.

HOGINTENNESSEE

« Reply #274 on: April 21, 2017, 07:53:54 pm »

It sure seems like Macon is leaning that way,which means this staff needs to really get on it and find a grad transfer or a juco guard to help soften the blow. I'm not expecting that however.....

Juco market is weak this year. Quality grad transfers are hard to get.

Our hope will probably have to be that one of Garland or Hall is ready right away. And of course that assuming CJ is the impact player we all think he can be.

batmanfan

• Hogvillian
« Reply #275 on: April 21, 2017, 08:14:18 pm »

Juco market is weak this year. Quality grad transfers are hard to get.

Our hope will probably have to be that one of Garland or Hall is ready right away. And of course that assuming CJ is the impact player we all think he can be.

Yet Florida, Okie St., Ole Miss are all getting quality grad transfers. Our best shot was likely Crawford but it sure did seem like we took our sweet little ole time contacting him. Not alot of effort there it seemed.

Darrington, a scoring guard from the Juco ranks would also be a good option. But that might make to much sense as well.

jjdlc

« Reply #276 on: April 21, 2017, 08:16:32 pm »

If Macon goes, it probably makes Hardy a more realistic possibility since playing time would be more readily available.  Hope it gets sorted soon, glad the coaches seem to be working hard to cover the possibility.

King Kong

« Reply #277 on: April 21, 2017, 08:31:00 pm »

Yet Florida, Okie St., Ole Miss are all getting quality grad transfers. Our best shot was likely Crawford but it sure did seem like we took our sweet little ole time contacting him. Not alot of effort there it seemed.

Darrington, a scoring guard from the Juco ranks would also be a good option. But that might make to much sense as well.

Okay, you want a cookie? Would that help you act like you aren't on your period?

batmanfan

• Hogvillian
« Reply #278 on: April 21, 2017, 08:34:21 pm »

Hey, just calling it like I see it. Right now it looks like another Spring whiff fest that we are all use 2 at this point. Let's hope it gets turned around.

AlmaHog2011

• Senior
« Reply #279 on: April 21, 2017, 08:53:14 pm »

Hey, just calling it like I see it. Right now it looks like another Spring whiff fest that we are all use 2 at this point. Let's hope it gets turned around.

I agree just the truth. We seem at this time to be lagging.

reddawg213

• Band Nerd
« Reply #280 on: April 21, 2017, 08:56:09 pm »

I agree just the truth. We seem at this time to be lagging.

Not good when you have 3 guards thinking of walking. . . . .

batmanfan

• Hogvillian
« Reply #281 on: April 21, 2017, 09:44:42 pm »

3?

ShadowHawg

« Reply #282 on: April 21, 2017, 10:35:31 pm »

We keep getting shot down because of playing time and location have hurt us.

Crawford went to Ole Miss because it's practically the next thing to Memphis.

Smith went to Tech onerous playing time. Hardy has stalled because of playing time.

Macon announcing either way would help a ton.

jjdlc

« Reply #283 on: April 21, 2017, 11:09:35 pm »

3?

I would guess Glasper is the 3rd he is referring to.

SONofHAM

• Hogvillian
« Reply #284 on: April 21, 2017, 11:58:12 pm »

We shouldn't be surprised.  Macon and Barford said they planned on leaving after 1 year here when they signed. 

Coaches should have been prepared for this.  Hopefully there were.

HOGINTENNESSEE

« Reply #285 on: April 22, 2017, 12:14:11 am »

We shouldn't be surprised.  Macon and Barford said they planned on leaving after 1 year here when they signed. 

Coaches should have been prepared for this.  Hopefully there were.

Not exactly what they said.

SONofHAM

• Hogvillian
« Reply #286 on: April 22, 2017, 12:23:21 am »

Not exactly what they said.
Ummm, yes.  They have been talking about being one and done since before the 16-17 season.

King Kong

« Reply #287 on: April 22, 2017, 12:25:35 am »

Ummm, yes.  They have been talking about being one and done since before the 16-17 season.

They said if they come in we do want they are capable of they could possibly be one and done.

They never said we will only play one year. That would not be correct

SONofHAM

• Hogvillian
« Reply #288 on: April 22, 2017, 12:29:35 am »

They said if they come in we do want they are capable of they could possibly be one and done.

They never said we will only play one year. That would not be correct
You guys can argue semantics all you want.  The point of the post is that these 2 have been saying their goals are to be at Arkansas for 1 year as far back as when they signed. 

This shouldn't be shocking to the coaches.

ShadowHawg

« Reply #289 on: April 22, 2017, 12:36:35 am »

Ummm....No it wasn't. You are  exaggerating what was actually said.

King Kong

« Reply #290 on: April 22, 2017, 12:36:49 am »

You guys can argue semantics all you want.  The point of the post is that these 2 have been saying their goals are to be at Arkansas for 1 year as far back as when they signed. 

This shouldn't be shocking to the coaches.

I'm sure it's every top prospects goal to be a one and done. Doesn't make it a reality. My Madden told ppl he would be here 2 years tops. Played all 4

SONofHAM

• Hogvillian
« Reply #291 on: April 22, 2017, 12:43:24 am »

I'm sure it's every top prospects goal to be a one and done. Doesn't make it a reality. My Madden told ppl he would be here 2 years tops. Played all 4
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=612246.0

I'm not sure what you're arguing.  They brought up the possibility of leaving after one year.  The coaches knew this.  Gotta have a plan in place just in case.  I'm not saying they failed to do so...just saying I hope they have a card up their sleeves in case they do opt to leave.

King Kong

« Reply #292 on: April 22, 2017, 01:32:33 am »

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=612246.0

I'm not sure what you're arguing.  They brought up the possibility of leaving after one year.  The coaches knew this.  Gotta have a plan in place just in case.  I'm not saying they failed to do so...just saying I hope they have a card up their sleeves in case they do opt to leave.

I listened to the interview. I know what was said. Apparently you haven't.

TNhawgfan

• Vader watching the 2017 season
« Reply #293 on: April 22, 2017, 09:02:15 am »

So there's no chance with a great senior season he could be an NBA signee?

HOGINTENNESSEE

« Reply #294 on: April 22, 2017, 09:03:46 am »

Yep. A great Senior year won't make him 6'5

SONofHAM

• Hogvillian
« Reply #295 on: April 22, 2017, 09:11:55 am »

I listened to the interview. I know what was said. Apparently you haven't.
So signed recruits go on statewide radio and mention the possibility of leaving after one year.  What am I missing?

They gave the coaching staff a full year's warning that this could happen.  Surely they are prepared?

PorkRinds

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #296 on: April 22, 2017, 09:26:34 am »

Not my contention. Just what impression I got from DD.

rzrbackramsfan

• "Winners never quit, quitters never win"
« Reply #297 on: April 22, 2017, 10:48:12 am »

Yep. A great Senior year won't make him 6'5

There are plent of people in the NBA not 6'5

HiggiePiggy

• Hope...
« Reply #298 on: April 22, 2017, 11:06:47 am »

There are plent of people in the NBA not 6'5

There is 2 players currently that are both 5'9".

FineAsSwine

• Hogville think tank
« Reply #299 on: April 22, 2017, 11:39:33 am »

I just don't understand all the hand wringing about whether one or both of these young men stay or go.  Does anyone on this board really think a coach who has been in the business as long as CMA not understand some young men will leave early, not transition to college life and not meet academic standards, or even get injured?  I keep seeing some posters suggesting losing players is a shock to the coaching staff.  None of us on HV has a clue concerning his strategy on building HIS program.  For all we know, CJ was the better shooter of he and Macon but could have been in CMA's dog house.  His intent may be to turn over PG duties to Beard.  Who knows his plans and I find it quit entertaining reading all the posts by all these premier D1 coaches on HV.  Lol!  That's why I have to read more and more.  It just crack me up so much!  LOL!

Yeah, it's like open mike night at the local comedy club. Maybe should change the name to Comedy Central cause that what it seems like sometimes.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 12   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas