Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No more two-a-days

Started by ricepig, April 14, 2017, 10:55:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Vantage 8 dude

April 14, 2017, 11:04:44 am #1 Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 03:19:28 pm by Vantage 8 dude
I would suspect that more than a few players will be shedding "crocodile tears" over this one. :'( :'( 8)

ricepig

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on April 14, 2017, 11:04:44 am
I would suspect that more an a few players will be shedding "crocodile tears" over this one. :'( :'( 8)

Nah, according to 12345, Bielema is behind this, he didn't want to have to work more than 3hrs a day.

MultipleScoreGasms

I get the intent, but I think conditioning activities should be allowed during walk through practices.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: MultipleScoreGasms on April 14, 2017, 11:52:26 am
I get the intent, but I think conditioning activities should be allowed during walk through practices.
I understand what they are trying to do with that decision. I am not knowledgeable enough to say if it will hurt conditioning but I'm sure they had a number of coaches involved in this

factchecker

Quote from: ricepig on April 14, 2017, 11:25:00 am
Nah, according to 12345, Bielema is behind this, he didn't want to have to work more than 3hrs a day.

The NCAA just doesn't have enough "fire in their bellies".
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

Quote from: MultipleScoreGasms on April 14, 2017, 11:52:26 am

It's a different world these days, the kids workout all summer under guidance, so they aren't coming in off the couch, like the "good ole days". I was talking with my CPA the other day, we were laughing how we hauled watermelons to get in shape before fall, actually hottest part of summer, practice.

phadedhawg

Quote from: ricepig on April 14, 2017, 12:18:36 pm
It's a different world these days, the kids workout all summer under guidance, so they aren't coming in off the couch, like the "good ole days". I was talking with my CPA the other day, we were laughing how we hauled watermelons to get in shape before fall, actually hottest part of summer, practice.

Yeah I guess that makes sense.  If they are doing year round conditioning 2 a days might not be as essential as they once were.

MultipleScoreGasms

Perhaps, but we had a habit of running out of gas in the 2nd half, blowing leads, and losing games.  Less conditioning may not be in our best interest.

ricepig

Quote from: MultipleScoreGasms on April 14, 2017, 01:30:57 pm
Perhaps, but we had a habit of running out of gas in the 2nd half, blowing leads, and losing games.  Less conditioning may not be in our best interest.

So, did we have "gas" in the wins? I think adequate subs have more to do with your perceived lack of conditioning, than there preparations getting there.

hogcard1964

When do they start playing touch football while wearing skirts?

theFlyingHog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 14, 2017, 01:49:26 pm
I get what you're saying but sometimes things change for the better. "Back in my day" we weren't allowed to hydrate during practice since going to get some water was seen as weakness or some ish. I don't think anyone these days would argue against proper hydration

Pigsknuckles

I tend to put most of that on our overall game preparation, and second half coaching strategies. Still, maybe this will reduce pre-season injuries (broken feet?). Can't say I am a fan of the no conditioning restriction on walk throughs though. Should at least let them wear helmets.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

ricepig

I don't know, why don't you ask one of the players face to face?

bennyl08

Quote from: theFlyingHog on April 14, 2017, 01:57:11 pm
I get what you're saying but sometimes things change for the better. "Back in my day" we weren't allowed to hydrate during practice since going to get some water was seen as weakness or some ish. I don't think anyone these days would argue against proper hydration

Never underestimate what people will hold on to from the past despite facts that go against it.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Kevin

This culture just keeps moving from hard to soft, softer, & finally to softest
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Kevin on April 14, 2017, 02:47:00 pm
How do you think top teams today would stack up against the top teams of yesteryear?

bennyl08

Quote from: theFlyingHog on April 14, 2017, 02:51:01 pm
How do you think top teams today would stack up against the top teams of yesteryear?

Only a softy puts in the time and dedication to something likes the kids today do. A true football player maxes out in weight b/w 260 and 280 and is only doing football things about 6 months a year. Softies today are playing with 320+ and are just as fast if not a bit faster. Softies today spend all year practicing and working out and I mean, what is more soft than having much more complicated and advanced schemes to have to know?
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: ricepig on April 14, 2017, 02:15:54 pm
I don't know, why don't you ask one of the players face to face?
Rice, if he wants their contact info, I can hook hogcard up with any of these lazy and soft Oliemen.  I'm sure they would appreciate his input face to face.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

TomasPistola

Quote from: theFlyingHog on April 14, 2017, 11:58:52 am
I understand what they are trying to do with that decision. I am not knowledgeable enough to say if it will hurt conditioning but I'm sure they had a number of coaches involved in this
Blah Blah Blah wussification of the sport yadda yadda pink uniforms
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Allhawgdawg

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on April 14, 2017, 05:08:11 pm
Rice, if he wants their contact info, I can hook hogcard up with any of these lazy and soft Oliemen.  I'm sure they would appreciate his input face

Great pic! Man I did not realize how tall Colton Jackson is. He darn near looks as tall as skipper and I'm not sure if that's a positive or negative but big Dan is one of my all time favorite Hogs! Correct me if I'm wrong but that is Colton Jackson to the left of Froholdt, correct?

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Allhawgdawg on April 14, 2017, 07:25:09 pm
Rice, if he wants their contact info, I can hook hogcard up with any of these lazy and soft Oliemen.  I'm sure they would appreciate his input face

Great pic! Man I did not realize how tall Colton Jackson is. He darn near looks as tall as skipper and I'm not sure if that's a positive or negative but big Dan is one of my all time favorite Hogs! Correct me if I'm wrong but that is Colton Jackson to the left of Froholdt, correct?
That is Colton.  He's a legit  6'6".  Pic was just before last season.  I posted pic before, in case anyone was interested.

Back Row: Johnny Gibson, Jake Heinrich, Paul Ramirez, Coach Anderson, an old friend of coach, Grad Asst Brey Cook, Jake Raulerson, Brian Wallace, Dylan Hayes

Front: My little kid Cooper Sone, Jackson Hannah, Colton Jackson, Hjalte Froholdt, Frank Ragnow, Zach Rogers, Dan Skipper,  Jake Hall (moved back to DE this spring), Jalen Merrick, Tyler Hall, Deion Malone

All are back with the Oline except Skip and Jake hall and you can add the three new freshmen. 
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

bennyl08

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on April 14, 2017, 07:51:25 pm
That is Colton.  He's a legit  6'6".  Pic was just before last season.  I posted pic before, in case anyone was interested.

Back Row: Johnny Gibson, Jake Heinrich, Paul Ramirez, Coach Anderson, an old friend of coach, Grad Asst Brey Cook, Jake Raulerson, Brian Wallace, Dylan Hayes

Front: My little kid Cooper Sone, Jackson Hannah, Colton Jackson, Hjalte Froholdt, Frank Ragnow, Zach Rogers, Dan Skipper,  Jake Hall (moved back to DE this spring), Jalen Merrick, Tyler Hall, Deion Malone

All are back with the Oline except Skip and Jake hall and you can add the three new freshmen.

Your "little" kid...

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 14, 2017, 08:01:09 pm
Your "little" kid...

He and Coach Herbert are working on it.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Kevin on April 14, 2017, 02:47:00 pm

In the "good ol days" I loathed two-a-days. But I absolutely hated three-a-days which actually turned out to be four-a-days if you counted the practice at 8:30 p.m. every night that was for "Skilled Players" only, essentially passing and kicking practice.

Multiple practices each day weren't as much about getting the offense or defense installed or honed to a fine edge as much as they were about physical exhaustion, developing mental toughness and being able to push through all of that and still execute at a high level. 4th quarters against any team took you back to multiple practices in August.

I am a fan of multiple practices each day for these reasons but when the NCAA rules them out it is o.k. by me because everyone has to abide by the same rules. If some teams were still going to do it while others weren't, you might see a difference between teams. But I don't think that we will even notice the difference.

Believe it or not, they will still get everything in and be ready for the first game. These kids are still going to have a lot of practice, meeting and conditioning time and everything will get done.

If I had to choose I would still choose two-a-days because of the mental toughness that it instilled in players that tended to show itself in the 4th quarter of games. But things are changing and at least everyone has to abide by the same rules. We will still enjoy football just as much when they tee it up and kick it off.
Go Hogs Go!

Inhogswetrust

Good point. You're correct. Nowadays they work out much more during the offseason. It's now a full year deal. Practically no time off.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Rice, if he wants their contact info, I can hook hogcard up with any of these lazy and soft Oliemen.  I'm sure they would appreciate his input face to face.
And I can get him in contact with some of the D Linemen if he wants to go that route lol
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

(notOM)Rebel123

Yep. It was a treat to get to go to Portia to the Watermelon Grove to help unload.
Got to rest in the shade while waiting in line. Was also thrilled when dad switched from square to round bales at the hill farm. Good times. 😉
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Svrdhd

Water used to be forbidden during two-a-days at our high school because 'it will make you sick'. And vomiting during practice was considered a mark of toughness and dedication. I also used to be drenched at times in 2,4,5-T. Ignorance can be overcome, this is progress.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

jrhardy88

Always the "kids are soft these days" nonsense.
Standing on the shoulders of giants.

majestic

When do you do anything more strenous than grab a mouse? Two-a-days for you involve lube and a CatFancy magazine. Go be a loser somewhere else. You won't be missed.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

Stephen Greene

:-\

Youngsta71701

As long as we're on the same playing field as the rest of the NCAA.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: TomasPistola on April 14, 2017, 06:33:23 pm
Blah Blah Blah wussification of the sport yadda yadda pink uniforms

Wussification is not related to practice limits being set since they work out extensively year round now. Wussification does relate to some of the during the game rule changes.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogcard1964

No need to respond any longer chieftan.

majestic

View Profile
Personal Message (Offline)

Re: No more two-a-days

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2017, 05:24:05 pm »

ReplyQuote

You are ignoring this user. 

take care brah and peace.

Jackrabbit Hog

Next thing you know they'll be giving them an extra salt tablet after practice.

Pansies...
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

majestic

You are going to have a pretty lonely existence on this board if you put everyone on ignore who thinks you are a troll.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

hogcard1964

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 18, 2017, 01:13:21 pm

Pansies...

I'll tell ya, when I was their age I'd walk 4 miles uphill in the snow in order to get to class, and 8 miles down hill in the sleet just to get home.

...AND I LIKED IT!!!

DeltaBoy

Horrible just Horrible how can you develop mental toughness via exhaustion without 2 a days.  Bear Bryant is spinning in his grave.   
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ricepig

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 18, 2017, 02:44:57 pm
Horrible just Horrible how can you develop mental toughness via exhaustion without 2 a days.  Bear Bryant is spinning in his grave.   

I guess there will be mental weakness all across college football this fall, probably won't be worth watching.

twistitup

Maybe our opponent will now run out of gas in the second half like we do.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

theFlyingHog

Quote from: twistitup on April 19, 2017, 05:24:54 am
Maybe our opponent will now run out of gas in the second half like we do.
Oh we didn't run out of gas. We just don't have a killer instinct. I blame it on reggae and flip flops. We need death metal and steel-toes

zebradynasty

Our second half meltdowns had nothing to do with conditioning of the body it was the condition of our minds that led to the meltdowns. Some on here are underestimating the kids offseason workouts. I think most athletes today like working out and who can blame them with whats available today to train and workout.

Aww.... the "good ole days", 2-3 practices a day, not enough water, poor nutrition, little if any game study, workouts under the watchful eye of the coach. We trade all that in for less practices, better player development, athletes taking the responsibility for their conditioning, better nutrition, better care of injuries, better training techniques....I'm an ole school type dude but it's crazy not see that kids now are bigger, faster, and more prepared than they were 25 plus years ago. What we ole schoolers should be saying is how much better we would have been had we been given the same access to modern day football techniques!

sowmonella

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 18, 2017, 01:13:21 pm

Pansies...
My coach gave me a salt tablet when I broke my arm.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

ricepig

Quote from: sowmonella on April 19, 2017, 12:05:17 pm
My coach gave me a salt tablet when I broke my arm.

Did he tell you to rub it on your arm?

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on April 19, 2017, 01:07:08 pm
Did he tell you to rub it on your arm?

Geez, talk about rubbing salt into a wound!
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

tbhogfan

Some of us are old enough to remember the great R.C. Thielemann, who was an oustanding lineman for the Hogs in the late 70's, and then went on to an 12-year career with the Falcons and Redskins, and being named All-NFL one year.  RC was 6-4, 245 in college, and grew to 255 in the pros.  We have Tight Ends on our current team larger than RC.

Other great linemen from the time:
Greg Koch 265 lbs (11 year NFL Career)
Leotis Harris 267 lbs (6 year NFL Career)

DL Dan Hampton 267 lbs (12 year NFL Career, NFL Hall of Fame)

Now we have OL's that average 300+ lbs/man and are just as fast (if not faster) as the greats from my youth.

The players are so much larger and faster now (and in year-round conditioning programs), that it makes sense not to have 2-a-days.
Go Hogs!

LRHawg

Quote from: zebradynasty on April 19, 2017, 11:25:39 am
Our second half meltdowns had nothing to do with conditioning of the body it was the condition of our minds that led to the meltdowns.

From what I can tell, there was a lack of leadership amongst the players. Just my opinion. Hope someone emerges this next year. I think Agim can be that leader we need, with Ragnow leading on offense.

Rice, you and Factchecker must be missing me.  I been busy and away from Hogville.  But I'll voice.  Today's players stay in far better shape year round then we did.  They are faster, larger and likely know more about the game than most of us ever will.

They mostly don't play both ways, don't have 8 to 10 hour daily jobs like I had that I had to work around just to get to play the game and I didn't have access to proper diet.  We had fewer player on a team and you better have stamina or don't show up.  Most of the training techniques of yesteryear have been proven wrong.  No water, no resting during practice, etc..  During football season, I might get an average of 4 hours sleep out of each 24 hours.

I contend that we don't get enough out of practice as we should, that we don't have mental toughness, that we are usually not prepared for the game, that lack of practice for the 2's and 3's is one main cause of our failures late in games and I damn well blame the HC for most of that.  That's my opinion.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: 12247 on April 21, 2017, 08:24:28 pm
Rice, you and Factchecker must be missing me.  I been busy and away from Hogville.  But I'll voice.  Today's players stay in far better shape year round then we did.  They are faster, larger and likely know more about the game than most of us ever will.

They mostly don't play both ways, don't have 8 to 10 hour daily jobs like I had that I had to work around just to get to play the game and I didn't have access to proper diet.  We had fewer player on a team and you better have stamina or don't show up.  Most of the training techniques of yesteryear have been proven wrong.  No water, no resting during practice, etc..  During football season, I might get an average of 4 hours sleep out of each 24 hours.

I contend that we don't get enough out of practice as we should, that we don't have mental toughness, that we are usually not prepared for the game, that lack of practice for the 2's and 3's is one main cause of our failures late in games and I damn well blame the HC for most of that.  That's my opinion.

Practice times are limited. The 1's don't work hard enough to develop mental toughness, yet the 2's and 3's should get more reps?

Don't ask me what my opinion of your BS is.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.