• 376,966 Topics
• 20,989 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: College Schools Hiring High School Coaches  (Read 1180 times)

Next1_04

• Senior
  • I come with Links
College Schools Hiring High School Coaches
« on: April 13, 2017, 11:30:37 am »

Looks like its still up in the air? Haven't heard if it has passed to keep it from happening. The Gus Bus isn't happy.  :puke:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/19144523/gus-malzahn-auburn-tigers-critical-proposed-ncaa-role

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn told ESPN on Wednesday that it would be a huge mistake for the NCAA to pass a proposed rule restricting colleges from hiring high school coaches in non-field roles.

"What you're going to do is hurt every high school coach who has a dream of coaching college football, and I don't think that's fair," said Malzahn, whose route to college football was by way of the high school ranks.

The proposed rule, bylaw 11.4, prohibits a college program from hiring a high school coach for a non-field or support role if it had recruited a player from that coach's high school in the previous two years. The program also would be prohibited from recruiting players from that high school for two years after hiring the coach.

As an example, if Auburn were to hire a high school coach as a quality control assistant on Malzahn's staff, the Tigers couldn't recruit a prospect from that coach's former high school for two years.

The rule proposal is part of a recruiting reform package that the NCAA's Division I Council is considering this week.

"They're wanting to copy the basketball rule and keep schools from hiring high school coaches just to get one of their top players to follow, and I understand that's going to happen at some places, but the bigger issue if this rule passes is that high school coaches' availability to go to college is done," said Malzahn, who's entering his fifth season at Auburn. "For me, it's a way to give talented high school coaches a chance to get into college football. We've had great success with that during my time here at Auburn."

The rule would not affect high school coaches hired into one of the nine on-field coaching positions; it is rare for a coach to go directly from high school to being a position coach on an FBS staff.

Malzahn, however, did transition from a highly successful career as a high school coach in Arkansas to the offensive coordinator under Houston Nutt at University of Arkansas staff in 2006.

"In my case, it wouldn't have applied, but just from my experience here at Auburn, it's going to be a huge blow to high school coaches," Malzahn said.

Since taking the Auburn job in 2013, Malzahn pointed out that eight of the high school coaches he's hired into non-field roles have all gone on to bigger jobs, including seven currently coaching on FBS staffs. Among them: Chip Lindsey (Auburn offensive coordinator), Eli Drinkwitz (North Carolina State offensive coordinator), Travis Williams (Auburn linebackers coach), Dell McGee (Georgia running backs coach) and Bobby Bentley (South Carolina running backs coach).

"Of those guys we hired from high school, I did not sign one of their players here at Auburn," Malzahn said. "Those coaches are all doing very well now at other schools, and if you look at Chad Morris, Hugh Freeze, Todd Graham, myself -- the high school coaches who went on to college football -- I don't think you're going to see those guys getting those chances any more if we pass this rule."

In other Auburn news, Malzahn told ESPN that he's hired former Tigers offensive coordinator Al Borges as an offensive analyst who will work under Lindsey. Borges, the offensive coordinator on Auburn's unbeaten 2004 team, was most recently at San Diego State as offensive coordinator. He also was Michigan's offensive coordinator from 2011 to '13.

azhog10

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Razorback Basketball on the rise!
Re: College Schools Hiring High School Coaches
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 11:42:52 am »

I agree it sucks. But maybe him and other coaches should have realized the impact of hiring a coach of a recruit. Don't ban hiring coaches, but ban hiring coaches of a recruit they are after.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...
Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 11:47:22 am »

I cant stand Gus, but I agree with him on this one

NuttinItUp

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 11:53:34 am »

It would probably be a good rule to have.

Hawgar The Horrible

• Senior
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 12:06:47 pm »

Gus, Gus, Gus. This does not prevent you from hiring high school coaches at all. Unless of course you value his players more. Which is essentially what you just admitted.

ChicoHog

• RIP Glenn. You're "Already Gone" way too soon
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 02:34:47 pm »

I think it's a good rule to prevent college coaches from hiring guys just to get a player from their school.  If you really want the coach you will hire him but if it's because you want the player more than the coach this will help prevent that. 

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Resident Armchair Philosopher
    • It's a Jeep thing...
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 02:44:03 pm »

I agree it sucks. But maybe him and other coaches should have realized the impact of hiring a coach of a recruit. Don't ban hiring coaches, but ban hiring coaches of a recruit they are after.

"The proposed rule, bylaw 11.4, prohibits a college program from hiring a high school coach for a non-field or support role if it had recruited a player from that coach's high school in the previous two years. The program also would be prohibited from recruiting players from that high school for two years after hiring the coach."

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 03:42:53 pm »

"The proposed rule, bylaw 11.4, prohibits a college program from hiring a high school coach for a non-field or support role if it had recruited a player from that coach's high school in the previous two years. The program also would be prohibited from recruiting players from that high school for two years after hiring the coach."
So a high school coach from a HS program that sends a lot of kids to college would effectively be prevented from being hired by any college.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Is there a problem here?
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 03:52:18 pm »

So a high school coach from a HS program that sends a lot of kids to college would effectively be prevented from being hired by any college.

No, just any college that recruited a player from his school in the past two years. I wouldn't think any HS coach has a kid recruited by all 128 fbs level schools.

nchogg

• Senior
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 03:59:27 pm »

You really can't blame Gus for taking advantage of an opportunity. The blame goes to Nutt, he is the one that hired Gus to get his HS recruits.

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
    • It's a Jeep thing...
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 04:03:46 pm »

I get that they are trying to prevent corruption, but it is kind of a silly rule.  its not like the Head coach makes the decision for the recruit.  they might advise them, but so are like a 100 other people in their lives.  in the end the recruit gets no benefit either way if they hire his coach or not. 

azhog10

• Razorback Basketball on the rise!
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2017, 04:12:12 pm »

I can agree to that. If you really want the guy, then hire him to a field role. If you want to hire a guy to a non-field role, then don't sign kids from that school. I like the rule, I didn't read it fully apparently.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2017, 05:13:29 pm »

Change it so sign instead of recruit and I like it.

If you do a good job of building some kids into football players,  your peak opportunity at a job will probably be after you've had some good kids come through and you'll probably have some good kids in the future. If you have 2 years with 2 highly recruited players in a row, the number of schools that can sign you just dropped by 100 or so. By the time all your students worth recruiting are out and a school will pursue you, you're stock won't be as high.

It'd be like the NFL not allowing a team to sign any coach who previously coached a player they are interested in signing or recently thought about signing.

Al Boarland

• Senior
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2017, 06:16:29 pm »

I don't get the intent. Even in the rare occurance a coach steers a player to a school. The kid has an opportunity to get a an education. Giving a guy a job to break into college coaching is better than a lot of the other stuff that goes on with boosters.

bell2629

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2017, 06:23:40 pm »

I agree with the intent of the rule, but how friggin terrible is the NCAA at doing anything right? The rule is totally incomplete if it doesn't include family. Seems to me like they're saying: "If you want to steal a recruit you're going to have to do it the old fashioned way and get his parents cushy jobs."

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
    • It's a Jeep thing...
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2017, 07:14:58 pm »

Change it so sign instead of recruit and I like it.

If you do a good job of building some kids into football players,  your peak opportunity at a job will probably be after you've had some good kids come through and you'll probably have some good kids in the future. If you have 2 years with 2 highly recruited players in a row, the number of schools that can sign you just dropped by 100 or so. By the time all your students worth recruiting are out and a school will pursue you, you're stock won't be as high.

It'd be like the NFL not allowing a team to sign any coach who previously coached a player they are interested in signing or recently thought about signing.
yeah, its pretty nonsensical.  this reeks of JYP (justify your position).  if they aren't coming up with idiotic rules, then someone might wonder what they are paid for.

Hoggish1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2017, 08:51:57 pm »

Gus, Gus, Gus. This does not prevent you from hiring high school coaches at all. Unless of course you value his players more. Which is essentially what you just admitted.

I hold Gus in lower esteem that Cal. 

Don't believe I just said that...

sowmonella

• I am the danger.
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2017, 09:17:52 pm »

I hold Gus in lower esteem that Cal. 

Don't believe I just said that...

At least Cal admits he's a sleaze ball. St. Gus makes me  :puke:

TheGrove68

• Varsity
  • Mizz...Zou
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2017, 11:24:04 pm »

Stupid rule that will do nothing.....If they want to clean up college sports make the student/ATHLETE actually make the Grades in high school and earn legit ACT/SAT scores no help, same goes for College no special Educational learning centers, tutors, etc., force them to live in normal housing no training table or stipend and treat them like everyday students. If that was done then about 95% of the issues would go away with cheating, poor character players and all the other issues that abound now in College sports.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2017, 09:52:59 am »

Horrible rule that we don't need.

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
    • It's a Jeep thing...
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2017, 03:29:50 pm »

Stupid rule that will do nothing.....If they want to clean up college sports make the student/ATHLETE actually make the Grades in high school and earn legit ACT/SAT scores no help, same goes for College no special Educational learning centers, tutors, etc., force them to live in normal housing no training table or stipend and treat them like everyday students. If that was done then about 95% of the issues would go away with cheating, poor character players and all the other issues that abound now in College sports.

yeeeah, no

Poker_hog

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2017, 03:51:34 pm »

It's a good rule.  Coaches shouldn't leverage thier players to get a job.  It's pretty obvious that's what Gus did.  It worked out great for him but not so much for his players.  Protect the ametuer atheletes not middle age coaches.

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
    • It's a Jeep thing...
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2017, 03:56:02 pm »

It's a good rule.  Coaches shouldn't leverage thier players to get a job.  It's pretty obvious that's what Gus did.  It worked out great for him but not so much for his players.  Protect the ametuer atheletes not middle age coaches.
not arguing with that, but to me it seems a risky move for a coach in the first place.  lets say you have been coaching at a school for 10 years, are you going to throw that career away to get a desk job paying a little more money in order for the school to get one of your players.  then what? you could be out of a job in a year or two when they are looking to get a different recruit at a different school.  seems like a pretty sketchy premise to base your career on.

rogers-hog

• Senior
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2017, 04:57:07 am »

"Of those guys we hired from high school, I did not sign one of their players here at Auburn," Malzahn said.  If this is true then the rule wouldn't have applied anyway. What is he crying about.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2017, 09:19:57 am »

You really can't blame Gus for taking advantage of an opportunity. The blame goes to Nutt, he is the one that hired Gus to get his HS recruits.

There's plenty of blame for both of them and a parent or two as well...

BigE_23

• Senior
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2017, 10:11:37 am »

"Of those guys we hired from high school, I did not sign one of their players here at Auburn," Malzahn said.  If this is true then the rule wouldn't have applied anyway. What is he crying about.

Exactly...the issue isn't hiring high school coaches. The issue is hiring high school coaches in order to sign their prospects. That's a whole other situation...and by Gus's own admission, it wouldn't have affected him hiring any of the coaches he's had on his staff.

Gus however...he wouldn't have gotten his job at UA if it wasn't for the Springdale 5.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.
Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please. KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas