• 377,092 Topics
• 20,991 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scott Sutton out at ORU  (Read 2033 times)

husker71

• All-American Hogvillian
Scott Sutton out at ORU
« on: April 10, 2017, 06:40:51 pm »

kind of surprising to me.  Maybe somebody at Oral Roberts thinks Ken Trickey is going to walk back in those doors with Richie Fuqua and that bunch of players he brought in from Memphis

Pancetta

• Senior
Re: Scott Sutton out at ORU
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 10:53:45 pm »

I wonder if TJ could get a look there? 

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...
Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.

The_Bionic_Pig

• VICTORY IS MINE!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Orlando, Florida
    • My YOUTUBE profile & vids
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 04:05:02 am »

I wonder if TJ could get a look there? 

That would be a awesome opportunity to start his head coaching carreer...and in time take over for a retired MA

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 08:36:53 am »

kind of surprising to me.  Maybe somebody at Oral Roberts thinks Ken Trickey is going to walk back in those doors with Richie Fuqua and that bunch of players he brought in from Memphis

Only surprise is the way they handled it.

Last 3 Year record
19-15
14-17
8-22

2 postseason tournaments in last 5 years and they were CBI/CIT.  Average of 17 losses per year over the last 5 years.

It's the definition of not surprising.  They handled it in the worst way possible though.

Sho Nuff

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 09:06:16 am »

Only surprise is the way they handled it.

Last 3 Year record
19-15
14-17
8-22

2 postseason tournaments in last 5 years and they were CBI/CIT.  Average of 17 losses per year over the last 5 years.

It's the definition of not surprising.  They handled it in the worst way possible though.
How did they handle it?

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 12:11:32 pm »

How did they handle it?

From what I've read and heard, they told all the players but told them do not say anything.  This was before Sutton even knew.  Sutton found out on Twitter.

NWAHog479

• Varsity
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 02:02:46 pm »

What about Lee Mayberry? Has 2 daughters going there, is a Tulsa guy...

Porked Tongue

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 07:09:54 pm »

According to reports from the Tulsa World and local TV station KTOV, the school’s July 2013 hiring of new university president Billy Wilson spelled the beginning of the end for Sutton. Wilson reportedly told Sutton he had to adhere more closely to the school’s evangelist roots, and would only be allowed to sign players without tattoos. Incoming players would also have to pass a “faith exam,” and prove their Christian bona fides.

LINK

Porked Tongue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 07:10:52 pm »

Pretty informative article.

Once given those parameters, he had his worst seasons.

husker71

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 08:02:55 pm »

Billy Wilson must be stuck in the 60s.  My gosh I hate tattoos BUT is that a reason not to recruit a good player??  I used to work for a company that after a Christmas party drafted a no "visible" tattoo policy.   It was a darn storm for awhile and that was 12 years ago.  In their defense they are  a private university.  I wonder if Liberty has any such rules.

Slater

• Varsity
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2017, 08:13:47 pm »

If TJ is the choice, any chance Todd Day takes his spot?

Arazorbackguy1

• Alive!
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2017, 08:17:22 pm »

Based on those rules, I hope TJ passes on ORU.  Sounds like that job is setup for failure

Sho Nuff

• Varsity
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 09:19:11 am »

From what I've read and heard, they told all the players but told them do not say anything.  This was before Sutton even knew.  Sutton found out on Twitter.
Wow - that's insane!

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Trust in the Lord with all your heart
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 09:40:10 am »

According to reports from the Tulsa World and local TV station KTOV, the school’s July 2013 hiring of new university president Billy Wilson spelled the beginning of the end for Sutton. Wilson reportedly told Sutton he had to adhere more closely to the school’s evangelist roots, and would only be allowed to sign players without tattoos. Incoming players would also have to pass a “faith exam,” and prove their Christian bona fides.

LINK

that is a text book example of the difference between religion &  a Christ follower.

husker71

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 01:30:58 pm »

have a feeling the list of candidates will be very small

Rock City Razorback

• Senior
  • Gotta love that helmet!
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 02:44:00 pm »

that is a text book example of the difference between religion &  a Christ follower.

hahaha that's terrible! He obviously doesn't care for winning

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2017, 07:03:34 am »

Billy Wilson must be stuck in the 60s.  My gosh I hate tattoos BUT is that a reason not to recruit a good player??  I used to work for a company that after a Christmas party drafted a no "visible" tattoo policy.   It was a darn storm for awhile and that was 12 years ago.  In their defense they are  a private university.  I wonder if Liberty has any such rules.

I guess you've never been on ORU's campus. They are about as strict as any in their administration.

Slater

• Varsity
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2017, 12:26:43 pm »

Mentioned on radio this morning, Sutton was not recruiting guys that appealed to their "fans" and they looked too inner city. If accurate then they will be a bunch of white guys without ink, outside of Wisconsin or Hooisers can't think of a winning team that looks like that.

Hogginintheville

• Varsity
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2017, 12:54:54 pm »

Quite a few mid/low major schools

FineAsSwine

• Hogville think tank
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2017, 01:56:33 pm »

UofMemphis

• Varsity
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2017, 11:06:05 am »

Mentioned on radio this morning, Sutton was not recruiting guys that appealed to their "fans" and they looked too inner city. If accurate then they will be a bunch of white guys without ink, outside of Wisconsin or Hooisers can't think of a winning team that looks like that.

the 'inner city' kids won games, though...

from 2003-2015 Scott Sutton and ORU went 266-158 featuring 3 NCAAs, 2 NITs, 2 CITs, and a CBI.

Birminghog

• Hogvillian
  • Ludwig calls the Hogs at Hogville.net
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2017, 12:10:46 pm »

Agreed, Kevin. Never understood how a "Christian" institution could condone conducting themselves with their personnel in such unchristian ways. I worked for two different Christian universities, covering 24 years, and I saw it time and time again. Huge double standard in what they say to their faculties and how they act toward their faculties. If you're going to claim the Name, claim it all the way or not at all.

As for Liberty (a school at which I never worked), I had a friend told me he was kicked out for dating a black girl (he was white). His dad was a buddy of Jerry's and talked Jerry into letting my friend back in if he would toe the line.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

• Hogvillian
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2017, 01:48:24 pm »

It's long overdue.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2017, 06:55:10 am »

LINK

I find it interesting they are biased against tattoos. Without men with tattoos we might not win WWII and they might not have the freedom to not want them playing there if they even had a school at all.

ShadowHawg

• Hogvillian
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2017, 07:27:17 am »

I find it interesting they are biased against tattoos. Without men with tattoos we might not win WWII and they might not have the freedom to not want them playing there if they even had a school at all.

There is an Old Testament verse that says not to get tattoos to honor the dead.

Some take it as a prohibition against all tattoos. Thing is, if you believe that way, then don't get a tattoo.

According to Jesus, the greatest commandment is to love God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength and love your neighbor as yourself. ............except if he has tattoos.

I added the except part to emphasize that there are NO exceptions in that commandment.  Sadly there are many people who think that following Christ is about judging others instead of using every tool at their disposal for spreading the gospel........even to people with tattoos.

FineAsSwine

• Hogville think tank
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2017, 01:43:24 pm »

There is an Old Testament verse that says not to get tattoos to honor the dead.

Some take it as a prohibition against all tattoos. Thing is, if you believe that way, then don't get a tattoo.

According to Jesus, the greatest commandment is to love God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength and love your neighbor as yourself. ............except if he has tattoos.

I added the except part to emphasize that there are NO exceptions in that commandment.  Sadly there are many people who think that following Christ is about judging others instead of using every tool at their disposal for spreading the gospel........even to people with tattoos.

Does a tattoo of the mark of the beast matter? Thinking of changing my handle to 666Hog. I know it's not a tattoo but I just want to ease into it.  :-X

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2017, 02:00:19 pm »

Does a tattoo of the mark of the beast matter? Thinking of changing my handle to 666Hog. I know it's not a tattoo but I just want to ease into it.  :-X

According to Jesus. That's always the first thing said. Thus if you believe in Jesus then it's only a matter of interpretation. VERY FEW people have the ability to interpret ancient texts in any way. Not to mention the things that were left out of the Bible.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 04:30:33 pm by Inhogswetrust »

ShadowHawg

• Hogvillian
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2017, 02:44:00 pm »

No one knows that 666 will be the mark.

Smokehouse

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2017, 08:56:21 pm »

LINK

They also lied and denied the existence of the faith exam after the TW ran the story (a copy of it was promptly leaked to the press.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.
Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please. KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas