• 378,311 Topics
• 21,026 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arkansas lost its identity in 2016  (Read 1730 times)

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Arkansas lost its identity in 2016
« on: April 10, 2017, 10:45:59 am »

Cole Cubelic (ESPN) stated that Arkansas became a spread offense last year, and after thinking back on it, I have to agree. Granted it may have been due to the fact that our OL limited our ability to run effectively, it still holds true. Could that be the reason Arkansas underachieved in 2016? Will we see the hogs go back to "big boy" football in 2017?

hawginbigd1

• All-American Hogvillian
Re: Arkansas lost its identity in 2016
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 11:01:40 am »

We are not a spread team, but we are no longer a power run team 1st, the OL had some to do with it, but we won't go back to where we were as long as Enos is here IMO. He was brought in to bring some evolution to our offense, and he has. JMO.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...
Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.

Sed76

• Hogvillian
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 11:13:10 am »

Underachieved because the defense was historically bad and the offense disappeared in the second half of games. We tried big boy football on the goal line against A&M and that was a disaster.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 11:25:01 am »

It was the Swiss Cheese D and the NO SHOW Offence in the 2nd half that killed us.  We lost our edge after the ABARN blow out.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Future Global Moderator Now Posting Cautiously!
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 11:31:46 am »

Underachieved because the defense was historically bad and the offense disappeared in the second half of games. We tried big boy football on the goal line against A&M and that was a disaster.

It will always be a disaster when a team tries to play big boy football with an offensive line built for a high powered passing game. Compare the individual weights of last years OLine starters to those of the 2014 Oline starters and you'll see what I mean.

Poker_hog

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 11:52:30 am »

Cole Cubelic (ESPN) stated that Arkansas became a spread offense last year, and after thinking back on it, I have to agree. Granted it may have been due to the fact that our OL limited our ability to run effectively, it still holds true. Could that be the reason Arkansas underachieved in 2016? Will we see the hogs go back to "big boy" football in 2017?

The same can be said about Alabama and many other teams.  I have no problem with cbb adapting.  If anything it was probably overdue.

Royal Fortune

• Your Kung Fu is not strong.
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 11:53:59 am »

It was the Swiss Cheese D and the NO SHOW Offence in the 2nd half that killed us.  We lost our edge after the ABARN blow out.

I agree. The Auburn game dismantled our confidence and gave everyone else a nice blue print to our demise.

theshiva

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 11:54:29 am »

I think alot of people just mis-characterize what BB wants to do. He's stated many times that he wants a 50/50 split on run and pass, not just be a big lumbering power running team. He basically wants to be a true pro-style team. With Chaney, the passing game was never quite there, so the running game had to pick up the slack. Enos, just brought balance back to what he originally wanted.

zane

• Go Hogs!
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 11:54:55 am »

for Arkansas to maintain its power run identity, we must be able to pick up 4 yards on 1st down. We had big trouble doing that last year.

Hoggish1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 11:55:43 am »

You answered the problem with that statement. 

Moving back to O-line dominance and running the ball all day with selective passing when needed.

Poker_hog

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 12:28:17 pm »

I think alot of people just mis-characterize what BB wants to do. He's stated many times that he wants a 50/50 split on run and pass, not just be a big lumbering power running team. He basically wants to be a true pro-style team. With Chaney, the passing game was never quite there, so the running game had to pick up the slack. Enos, just brought balance back to what he originally wanted.

I think cbb would prefer to have a ball control type offense.  I think if you asked him if he would rather have a 15 play 80 yard drive or a 5 play 80 yard drive he'd choose the former.  However most of college football is gravitating to the later.

jkstock04

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 12:45:38 pm »

It's one thing people really aren't talking about. Last year was a passing offense with zero defense. Opposite of what Bielema is supposedly all about.

What will our identity be this year?

HiggiePiggy

• Hope...
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 02:17:33 pm »

Last year we were pretty balanced as far as our play selections.  We ran the ball more than we passed.  Problem in my opinion is we decided to give up on the run especially in games where we had a huge lead. 

sowmonella

• I am the danger.
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2017, 04:52:53 pm »

We scored enough points to win 10 games last year. The D let us down.

twistitup

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm feeling borderline erotic
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2017, 04:58:57 pm »

Coach B changed because he had to...pressure to win does strange things to coaches

hogcard1964

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2017, 05:11:56 pm »

Yes, no doubt.  Look for ball control with the the pass being used as a necessity only.

hogfan870

• Senior
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2017, 06:14:24 pm »

We were just better at passing than running.  We have a good QB, had some great receivers and a good TE.  Decent, but not world beater (at least not yet) RBs, one of whom was a true freshman, and a less than stellar O-line.  I don't think there was much the coaches could do about that (other than go back and recruit better o-linemen).  That is why our identity was what it was.   

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2017, 06:27:38 pm »

Not sure that I agree with his take. Spread QB's have a different passing game than a Pro Style offense. We had issues in the offensive line coming together and we had protection issues at the LOS, at times with TE's and with RB's picking up their pass protection blocks. It took time for the OL to gel in the run game and our Receiver's weren't taught to execute a typical spread concept in terms of route running and all of this contributed to the sluggishness that we witnessed on offense last season, IMO. We definitely didn't get away from our identity, we just couldn't execute our identity very well. I think that changes this year.

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Resident Armchair Philosopher
    • It's a Jeep thing...
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2017, 07:19:30 pm »

Even Petrino heavily run oriented in his first year. (with michael smith at RB no less) I think that is normal when starting out because complex passing games take time to teach. 

I expect our passing game to continue to develop with maybe a 60/40 lean towards running of first down to keep the defense honest.

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Resident Armchair Philosopher
    • It's a Jeep thing...
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2017, 07:23:05 pm »

Not sure that I agree with his take. Spread QB's have a different passing game than a Pro Style offense. We had issues in the offensive line coming together and we had protection issues at the LOS, at times with TE's and with RB's picking up their pass protection blocks. It took time for the OL to gel in the run game and our Receiver's weren't taught to execute a typical spread concept in terms of route running and all of this contributed to the sluggishness that we witnessed on offense last season, IMO. We definitely didn't get away from our identity, we just couldn't execute our identity very well. I think that changes this year.
yeah I think some people naturally want to label any team that uses the passing game as a spread team.  that is not necessarily the case.

younghog

• Keep em coming
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2017, 08:25:29 pm »

for Arkansas to maintain its power run identity, we must be able to pick up 4 yards on 1st down. We had big trouble doing that last year.

I honestly can not recall a time we didn't get 4 yards on a run on 1st down last year.. Please advise on a game

(notOM)Rebel123

• Hogville.net
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2017, 09:07:18 pm »

I honestly can not recall a time we didn't get 4 yards on a run on 1st down last year.. Please advise on a game

No idea about 1st down, but we averaged 4.1 yds. per carry in 2016.
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/stats/football/2016/season.pdf

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2017, 09:38:31 pm »

Overall, RW3 averaged 5.0 ypc on first down, with the large majority of his carries on that down.

On first and 1-2, he had 7 carries, -2 yards, -0.3 ypc
1st and 3-7 yards, he had 8 carries, 21 yards, for 2.6 ypc average
1st and 8-10, 128 carries, 701 yards, 5.5 ypc, long 53 (still averaging 5.1 ypc removing the long run)
1st and 11+, 2 carries, 9 yards, 4.5 ypc

So, first and short, defenses expected the run and he did not produce. First and medium, similar but slightly better results. First and normal was at the best, and first and long was solid.

What's also cool with Rawleigh is his third downs.

3rd and 1-2: 13 carries, 29 yards, 2.2 average, long of 6 so the average isn't super skewed.
3rd and 3-7: 8 carries, 87 yards, 10.9 ypc, however, long of 41, meaning the other 7 carries went for 6.6. which is still good for the first on all but 3rd and 7.
3rd and 8-10: 1 carry, 0 yards.
3rd and 11+, 1 carry, 14 yards.

Devwah averaged 4.6 ypc on first down overall.
1st and 1-2: 0 carries
1st and 3-7: 2 carries, 5 yards, long of 4.
1st and 8-10: 64 carries 305 yards, 4.8 ypc, long of 75 (so other carries avg 63 with 3.7 ypc)
1st and 11+: 2 carries, 6 yards, long 5.

So, Devwah didn't fare as well as RW3 on first downs though he still did alright. However, he did much worse than Williams on third down.

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2017, 09:45:26 pm »

Our O-line was not up to the normal you would expect to win mostly running the ball, our D mostly didn't have a clue with strokes of busting butt and looking good just on effort, but overall, we were not at all mentally tough and that is why we lost 2 or 3 of the games we lost.

exit followed by a boar

• Senior
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2017, 07:16:51 am »

I think cbb would prefer to have a ball control type offense.  I think if you asked him if he would rather have a 15 play 80 yard drive or a 5 play 80 yard drive he'd choose the former.  However most of college football is gravitating to the later.

He may build for a fifteen-play drive, but I fervently believe he's quite happy when the O scores in five plays.  Why wouldn't he be?

EFBAB

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

• Senior
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2017, 07:24:11 am »

We keep saying the D let us down, but really the entire team did. We lost to auburn by 50, so not only was our defense unable to stop them, our offense was outscored by 50. Plenty blame to go around

carolinahogger

• Senior
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2017, 08:47:41 am »

Your offense should be based upon what your players do best and what the defense gives you.  This 'identity' concept is just an invention of sportscasters who have way too much time to fill.

'Arkansas had a bad season because they lost their identity' sounds smarter than 'Arkansas had a mediocre season because they had an inexperience OL and a terrible defense'.

Snortingred1

• Varsity
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2017, 09:21:17 am »

There's a different between being a spread team, with four and five wide, and our "take what the defense gives us" mentality.  I would not call two TE sets, spreading it out.  We had some tools, and they were effective in taking what we could get.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2017, 09:39:54 am »

Damn straight.....+1

And spread team?  Where the hell did that come from?

Poker_hog

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2017, 10:24:35 am »

He may build for a fifteen-play drive, but I fervently believe he's quite happy when the O scores in five plays.  Why wouldn't he be?

EFBAB

I'm sure he's happy anytime we score but due to the lack of depth on defense I think it's important to him to win the time of possession battle.

HardCore

• Senior
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2017, 05:59:26 pm »

Lost their double digit leads too

HamSammich

• Senior
  • Sports huh?
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2017, 06:01:26 pm »

The offense let us down in the second half as well.

Al Boarland

• Senior
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2017, 06:15:54 pm »

Looking at the data it's not possible to say we underachieved with CBB running the show at the UofA. I think our record was in line with external expectations and the trend has been ~7 wins.

Hollywood_HOGan45

• Hollywood could coach better than nutt.
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2017, 06:20:25 pm »

The  absolute best offense is excelling at both which is what we did in 2015. 2015 should have been a 10 win team but that's another story. Maybe if JW had been healthy we do win ten.

That offense was a machine. BA had an all time Arkansas passing season and we had the line and backs to close games out.
Id love to see a version of what we had in 2015 with a better defense.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please.
Your browser is archaic. Your browser is antiquated. Your browser... it FILS! Update it, please. KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas