Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

QB Guru Ken Mastrole "Bright future for Allen & AR"

Started by jcbville, April 07, 2017, 02:09:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jcbville

"You can count Ken Mastrole among those impressed with Austin Allen following his first year as a starting quarterback at the SEC level. After spending a week training with Allen this offseason, the former NFL quarterback — now a renowned quarterback coach, believes the best is yet to come for the leader of the Arkansas offense."

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/qb-guru-ken-mastrole-discusses-training-austin-allen-sees-bright-future-arkansas

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: jcbville on April 07, 2017, 02:09:37 pm
"You can count Ken Mastrole among those impressed with Austin Allen following his first year as a starting quarterback at the SEC level. After spending a week training with Allen this offseason, the former NFL quarterback — now a renowned quarterback coach, believes the best is yet to come for the leader of the Arkansas offense."

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/qb-guru-ken-mastrole-discusses-training-austin-allen-sees-bright-future-arkansas
Well obviously he's missing so many of the negatives that many other writers/prognosticators seem to be picking up on. Heck, some find it difficult to even place him in their top 3 or 4 in the conference.

Cambridge Hog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on April 07, 2017, 03:03:42 pm
Well obviously he's missing so many of the negatives that many other writers/prognosticators seem to be picking up on. Heck, some find it difficult to even place him in their top 3 or 4 in the conference.

That's fine. Let the haters hate. A GOOD senior QB in this league is a sweet asset to have. A lot of SEC coaches will be happy he is gone after this year.

hogcard1964

There's not a better QB in the SEC West.  There's simply not.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Cambridge Hog on April 07, 2017, 03:16:11 pm
That's fine. Let the haters hate. A GOOD senior QB in this league is a sweet asset to have. A lot of SEC coaches will be happy he is gone after this year.
Pretty much how I feel. Look, I get that he has some flaws and that for some his lack of real "dual threat" means he's not going to be seriously considered for his overall effectiveness. However, as a Hog fan I honestly wouldn't trade him for any of our opponents' QBs.

flagstaffhog

Go HOGS Go!

nchogg

Austin will look much better with an improved line and better blocking. I don't care what the media says they just need something to talk about. Their opinions will change when we play the better defenses in the SEC.  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Cmheinley

AA is going to put up serious numbers this year. I can't wait to watch him pick apart opposing defenses

go hogues

Too many others they've been hyping since high school.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

NotSoFastMyFriend

But...but...but...he's only starting on account of his daddy's influence just like his brother that's in the NFL oh wait.

razorsharptusk

April 17, 2017, 06:39:29 pm #10 Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 06:56:09 pm by razorsharptusk
In my opinion, I think having a duel threat qb has proven to be a powerful element in college football.  Look at most  competitive teams last year and most have a qb that can run like a runningback if need be.  Defenses have to account for someone else in the backfield and that is an advantage for an offense, no matter how you look at it.  How many times did that happen to the Hogs last year. Kill a good defensive stand with their legs?

Allen will have some good backs.  He can throw the ball really well, but I'm concerned about the receivers that will step up for us. Cornelius is clutch, but realize what we lost and have to replace. Massive.  We threw the ball alot last year to some sure handed receivers.

It's not a knock on Allen. I appreciate his leadership and what he brings to table. I'm glad he is back. But a duel threat  qb is a huge asset in college football right now.  I wish we had a bit more of that.

Our oline has to gel and play better in order for this team to show what it can do.  Else all the weapons in the world will not matter.  For Allen to have the year this guy thinks he can have, it will have to play physical like it did a couple years back.  The big nasties.
GO HOGS!!

PorkSoda

you don't have to be a "dual threat" to take advantage of the opportunities to run when they are there.  AA is plenty athletic enough to do that.  The primary job of the QB though is to deliver the ball to the receivers, and I think AA has the ability to do that as well of better than any of them.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

razorsharptusk

I understand what you are saying PorkSoda.  And i respect it. But having a qb with the physical stature to line up and get you a couple of hard yards and the defense having to decide if the running back will get the nod or the Qb is valuable.  It's like a qb passing deep and being able to keep the safeties and linebackers honest.  Once you prove that you can do that, you have to respect it.

Jalen Hurts was under appreciated early in the seaon. But look at how he was able to allude defenses.  I do understand however that he is physically built to do those things.

I'm hoping Allen has a great Senior year. If he does, it will be because the line gave him time to make the proper check Downs and throws to some very young receivers, and the running backs some holes.  The ability to create something from nothing is an element I like in a duel threat qb.
GO HOGS!!

PorkSoda

Quote from: razorsharptusk on April 17, 2017, 07:00:08 pm
I understand what you are saying PorkSoda.  And i respect it. But having a qb with the physical stature to line up and get you a couple of hard yards and the defense has to decide if the running back will get the nod or the Qb is valuable.  It's like a qb passing deep and being able to keep the safeties and linebackers honest.  Once you prove that you can do that, you have to respect it.

Jalen Hurts was under appreciated early in the seaon. But look at how he was able to allude defenses.  I do understand however that he is physically built to do those things.

I'm hoping Allen has a great Senior year. If he does, it will be because the line gave him time to make the proper check Downs and throws to some very young relievers, and the running backs some holes.
I hear what you are saying about giving the defense another threat to consider, but where AA can shine if he can make quick decisions and accurate / timely throws.  If he can do that at a high level, to me that is worth more to the team than the proverbial athlete with an adequate arm.

IOW, I would choose the hypothetical elite QB with average athleticism, than an average QB with elite athleticism.  as much as I loved watching Matt Jones play.  I just think the former will be more consistent, while the latter usually excels when the play breaks down.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Hawgar The Horrible

I seriously doubt 3 of the most heralded Juco receivers in the Country last year will forgot how to catch the ball this fall.

Bama has unproven talent on their roster galore each and every year. And what do their fans say? I can't wait to see that stud play!
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

bennyl08

Quote from: razorsharptusk on April 17, 2017, 07:00:08 pm
I understand what you are saying PorkSoda.  And i respect it. But having a qb with the physical stature to line up and get you a couple of hard yards and the defense has to decide if the running back will get the nod or the Qb is valuable.  It's like a qb passing deep and being able to keep the safeties and linebackers honest.

You are absolutely correct. However, having that is incredibly hard to find. Further, a coach, at least a good coach, is always going to go with the player that is better a majority of the time over the player who is better only a small fraction of the time. The RB who can run a 4.37 forty but goes down on contact and needs a hole that Tretola can run through to hit is going to be better on a small number of plays, but the 4.55 back with good vision and leg drive will be the superior option of the vast majority of plays. The QB who can hit a dime with the football 60 yards downfield but can't read a defense to save his life or throw anything less than his hardest throw on a dumpoff pass is going to not win the starting job over the qb who can read the defense like an open book and is absolutely surgical within 30 yards but can't hit the broad side of a barn any further.

Same thing is true with qb's. If you have 2 qb's that are similar in skills passing but one is greatly superior at running, yeah, no question, the runner gets the job. However, if one of the qb's is a largely superior passer, doesn't matter what their running ability is, they get the job. For example, compare and contrast Andrew Luck with Cam Newton. Both are almost identical athletically. Cam has steadily become more and more of pocket passer and took longer to find success than Luck did.

Why? One simple concept. You can pass the ball faster than you can run it. Every time. Well, unless you are Barry Allen or Wally West or something. The best qb's who are also very athletic always become pass first guys because passing is way more important than running for the qb.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

HamSammich

Ill be honest. Ive never been sold on the Allen brothers. Will never be. I'm looking forward to 2018.

What CBB has achieved with the allens is incredible so I give him credit. A lot of credit. The fact he doesn't see more upside in other QBs on his team I blame him.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: HamSammich on April 17, 2017, 07:26:47 pm
Ill be honest. Ive never been sold on the Allen brothers. Will never be. I'm looking forward to 2018.

What CBB has achieved with the allens is incredible so I give him credit. A lot of credit. The fact he doesn't see more upside in other QBs on his team I blame him.

How many losses are acceptable to you before the QB with more "upside" is fully developed?

HamSammich

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on April 17, 2017, 07:33:24 pm
How many losses are acceptable to you before the QB with more "upside" is fully developed?

you are right... those whooping 6,7,8 win seasons... we cannot sacrifice those to get the future on the field. We are mediocre. We are actually a sub mediocre team. Get the kids on the field that may be the next Prescott that takes us to #1 in the country.

The Allens ceiling was a low ceiling and they are good QBs.... But that era is what has killed CBB. jimo.

factchecker

Top 10 returning SEC players:

Quote8. Arkansas QB Austin Allen
The only quarterback on this list, Allen surprised a lot of people by stepping in and taking over as the team's starting quarterback with ease last year. He stood out in particular throwing the ball downfield, throwing eight touchdowns to one interception on throws travelling at least 20 yards downfield. One key thing he'll have to work on in 2017 is improving under pressure. In 2016, his completion percentage dropped from 72.8 percent when kept clean, to 44.1 percent when pressure got to him.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/college-football-the-top-10-returning-sec-players/
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: HamSammich on April 17, 2017, 07:35:50 pm
you are right... those whooping 6,7,8 win seasons... we cannot sacrifice those to get the future on the field. We are mediocre. We are actually a sub mediocre team. Get the kids on the field that may be the next Prescott that takes us to #1 in the country.

The Allens ceiling was a low ceiling and they are good QBs.... But that era is what has killed CBB. jimo.

Brilliant. CBB should bench his upperclassmen so the youngsters will be beasts 3 to 4 years from now.

Hey, Jeff, Bielema is going to need another extension!

factchecker

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/austin-allen-qb-at-arkansas-best

QuoteAustin Allen is the same way. There is no PizzaGate, no ChemTrail, no Flat-Earth conspiracy. Pro Football Focus named Allen the eighth-best returning player in the SEC for 2017. You know who wasn't on that list? Literally any other quarterback in the conference.

Allen finished with the third-best passer rating in the SEC last season. He was second in touchdown passes. He led the league in yards. None of that has anything to do with his father being a former Arkansas assistant and current member of the support staff. None of it has to do with Brandon being an NFL player.

Still, somehow, someone, somewhere thinks Cole Kelley or Ty Storey deserves to be handed the reins. Not "have an open competition." No, give Kelley or Storey the gig.

These must be the kind of people who think Ricky Town still is on the roster.

Allen could turn this Arkansas offense into the best in the SEC next season. For real. He can be that good. A lot needs to happen around him — a better offensive line, continued success from the running backs, development of inexperienced wideouts — but Allen has enough talent to make the Razorbacks dynamic.

And, despite what silly text messages you may send or read, no other quarterback on the roster has it.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

HogHomer

Quote from: HamSammich on April 17, 2017, 07:35:50 pm

Wow I've seen it all some of our fans actually want us to not play our experienced players just to hope we strike gold with a once in a generation talent.

Using the example that was given of Prescott I guess Mullen did it wrong too. It took almost 2 and a half years of Prescott being on campus before he got the starting job and it was because of an injury to the starting QB.

Also how low is the ceiling you are talking about if BA made an NFL roster?

HamSammich

Quote from: HogHomer on April 17, 2017, 10:53:28 pm
Wow I've seen it all some of our fans actually want us to not play our experienced players just to hope we strike gold with a once in a generation talent.

Using the example that was given of Prescott I guess Mullen did it wrong too. It took almost 2 and a half years of Prescott being on campus before he got the starting job and it was because of an injury to the starting QB.

Also how low is the ceiling you are talking about if BA made an NFL roster?

Credit CBB , Enos and a friendly play action offense... this allen may sit at third string for some NFL team too. Proves that I'm right fornsupporting CBB

Edit and strike gold my ass there are better qbs on our roster!

colbs

The fact that you say you will "never be sold" on Austin shows how close minded you are.  You already have you mind made up.

HamSammich

Quote from: colbs on April 17, 2017, 11:07:45 pm
The fact that you say you will "never be sold" on Austin shows how close minded you are.  You already have you mind made up.

What is he going to sell me this year??? I didn't see anything but a qb who was a product of a system that scowled and whined every time he got touched.

factchecker

Quote from: HamSammich on April 17, 2017, 11:10:43 pm

What is he going to sell me this year??? I didn't see anything but a qb who was a product of a system that scowled and whined every time he got touched.

Now you are questioning Allen's toughness?

https://twitter.com/colecubelic/status/847168504981786624
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

HogHomer

Quote from: HamSammich on April 17, 2017, 11:07:41 pm
Credit CBB , Enos and a friendly play action offense... this allen may sit at third string for some NFL team too. Proves that I'm right fornsupporting CBB

Edit and strike gold my ass there are better qbs on our roster!
Would you like to tell me who and where you've seen them? Because I've seen all the QBs in practice at the UA multiple times. Have you?

Also of your supporting CBB and Enos and saying he did a great job with the Allen's. So this means you think they are good at identifying talent and maximizing it? Then that means they've evaluated the other QBs in practice. You know the thing they are at everyday watching these players. Instead of going off of years old High school Highlight tape and your evaluation "talent" you seem to think you have.

Dwillhog66

Why r u here. You've made it very clear you think the hogs can only be mediocre at best this year. Trolling hog fans seems to be your only motivation. The mods should just get it over with now because it's definitely coming.

HamSammich

Quote from: factchecker on April 17, 2017, 11:13:54 pm
Now you are questioning Allen's toughness?

https://twitter.com/colecubelic/status/847168504981786624

I've watched every 2016 game almost three times now. I question his attitude after contact. Good kid ... decent qb....

Just not my hero like he is all of yours.  My opinion and I'll keep it

HamSammich

Quote from: Dwillhog66 on April 17, 2017, 11:16:49 pm
Why r u here. You've made it very clear you think the hogs can only be mediocre at best this year. Trolling hog fans seems to be your only motivation. The mods should just get it over with now because it's definitely coming.

Hogs are going through a transition year and will do better than they should and the coach will get a deserved extension..... but yeah do your narrative.

factchecker

April 17, 2017, 11:21:55 pm #31 Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 02:37:20 am by factchecker
Quote from: HamSammich on April 17, 2017, 11:17:22 pm
I've watched every 2016 game almost three times now. I question his attitude after contact. Good kid ... decent qb....

Not my hero either.  I don't follow college athletes around looking for heroes. Any adult who does is a creep.

I respect the hell out of Austin because of his talent and his toughness. He is the best option at QB right now.  If you don't see that then that is on you.  I don't care for your opinion.  Not many people do.  The only people who I even listen to are the professionals who get paid to write about football and the one's who evaluate quarterbacks - like the one's I've already cited.

https://twitter.com/colecubelic/status/847634308651139073

https://twitter.com/WurthDraft/status/791416055981830154

https://twitter.com/gamscout/status/780536101916205057

https://twitter.com/gamscout/status/790672501126803457

https://twitter.com/YourNaborJohn/status/775092230382034944

https://twitter.com/davidubben/status/774805559362981888
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

bennyl08

I love Hatcher's leap over the defender just to run down field and maybe block somebody for Cornelius.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

factchecker

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 17, 2017, 11:44:15 pm
I love Hatcher's leap over the defender just to run down field and maybe block somebody for Cornelius.

We are going to miss Hatcher's toughness a ton.  I hope we find someone mean enough to down block like Keon.

https://twitter.com/SharpTusk/status/550143184291254272
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

bennyl08

You know, normally I'd say my jaw dropped seeing a WR do that. However, Hatcher's been doing that his whole career here. I remember that play from the Texas Bowl and by then, my reaction was just like 'atta boy' .

His pro day numbers compare extremely favorably to Anquan Boldin's who is also his strongest NFL style comparison.

If I'm an NFL scout, my one big question for Hatcher is how consistent are his hands? That was a genuine issue for him early on in his career here. Then in 2015 he started strong but was quickly injured. In 2016, there were a lot of targets getting passes so his workload wasn't too high. If that checks out and physical WR is on my checklist, I'm looking at him starting somewhere in the 5th.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 17, 2017, 11:58:27 pm
You know, normally I'd say my jaw dropped seeing a WR do that. However, Hatcher's been doing that his whole career here. I remember that play from the Texas Bowl and by then, my reaction was just like 'atta boy' .

His pro day numbers compare extremely favorably to Anquan Boldin's who is also his strongest NFL style comparison.

If I'm an NFL scout, my one big question for Hatcher is how consistent are his hands? That was a genuine issue for him early on in his career here. Then in 2015 he started strong but was quickly injured. In 2016, there were a lot of targets getting passes so his workload wasn't too high. If that checks out and physical WR is on my checklist, I'm looking at him starting somewhere in the 5th.
Hatcher was the most physical WR we've had since, and basketball fans forgive me for invoking the name of Monk, but Marcus Monk was very physical
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

southeasthog

Austin is a "system" QB?

Quote from: 1990sHogBallChild on March 04, 2023, 04:08:32 pmWe have peaked... lucked his way to two elite 8s by getting the most favorable draws in tourney history. Beat the most over-rated 1 seed in the history of college basketball in Gonzaga who would be a 6 seed if they played in a real conference. Then Muss's other 5 tourney wins are against an average of a 12 seed. A few dozen coaches could have done that. Two losing records in SEC play is as much as MA had in 8 years.

Cure

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on April 18, 2017, 03:56:40 am
Hatcher was the most physical WR we've had since, and basketball fans forgive me for invoking the name of Monk, but Marcus Monk was very physical
Childs please.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

hogcard1964

Yea, those professional football players are a real hindrance, aren't they? 

HamSammich

We all have opinions people. It's funny what will turn the masses here though.... say anything other than our allen isn't the greatest thing since the model T and the populace grabs their pitchforks and shovels.

This is just my opinion and I'm not changing it.

hogcard1964

Quote from: HamSammich on April 18, 2017, 10:08:44 am
We all have opinions people. It's funny what will turn the masses here though.... say anything other than our allen isn't the greatest thing since the model T and the populace grabs their pitchforks and shovels.

This is just my opinion and I'm not changing it.

+1000

I support the right for you to have an opinion without being lambasted.  ...although I disagree with this one for the most part.  B.A. was/is a very solid QB.

There's far too much triggering and subsequent melting going on here.

Hoggish1

AA will be deadly when we are moving the ball on the ground.  His numbers won't be bigger, but his percentages will be off the chart.

PorkRinds

And you wonder why people call you names and think you're stupid?

Let me turn your attention to exhibit A.

ChitownHawg

What do you mean by attitude after contact? Are you seeing him throw picks or wild balls after he is hit?
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 18, 2017, 10:21:31 am
+1000

I support the right for you to have an opinion without being lambasted.  ...although I disagree with this one for the most part.  B.A. was/is a very solid QB.

There's far too much triggering and subsequent melting going on here.

I see you learned a new word, "triggered" and use the heck out of it. And playing the victim is weak on your part.  :puke:
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

hogsfan31

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 18, 2017, 11:13:01 am
What do you mean by attitude after contact? Are you seeing him throw picks or wild balls after he is hit?

No he's talking about the scowl and hurt look on his face after he just picked himself up off the turf time after time after getting hit by DEs like Myles Garrett and DLman like Allen all game long. You know because it's not the Olines fault they couldn't block anyone, it must have been Austin allens.

hogcard1964

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 18, 2017, 11:16:20 am
I see you learned a new word, "triggered" and use the heck out of it. And playing the victim is weak on your part.  :puke:

...and you continue to melt.   :D

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 18, 2017, 11:29:31 am
...and you continue to melt.   :D

Poor little victim. You do wish you have the intellectual capability to make someone melt, but you don't. Carry on.  ;D

Deep Shoat

You are free to have an opinion.

I am free to call your opinion retarded, if it is.  Because that's MY opinion.

Obviously, some opinions have more validity than others...
All Gas, No Brakes!

majestic

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 18, 2017, 12:33:59 pm
Poor little victim. You do wish you have the intellectual capability to make someone melt, but you don't. Carry on.  ;D
Dumbest poster on Hogville. HC is a master troll. Don't worry, though, you will soon join the other 4000 he has on ignore.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08