Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spring practice

Started by parallaxpig, April 07, 2017, 09:02:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

parallaxpig

The usual enthusiasm for spring practice doesn't seem to be there this year. Maybe the up swing in basketball and baseball has something to do with it.  Even the sports radio types are dogging it.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

The_Iceman

Quote from: parallaxpig on April 07, 2017, 09:02:20 am
The usual enthusiasm for spring practice doesn't seem to be there this year. Maybe the up swing in basketball and baseball has something to do with it.  Even the sports radio types are dogging it.

Three main things are the reason:

1) the way we ended 2016 season
2) success of basketball and baseball
3) no new QB or big time recruit to see

Next1_04

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 07, 2017, 10:33:44 am
Three main things are the reason:

3) no new QB or big time recruit to see

Hopefully having veterans will prove to be a good thing.

lakecityhog

I think that BB making the decision to close practices has a LOT to do with less enthusiasm. Very little to no information being available does little to generate enthusiasm.

Fans seeing practice and talking about it during the week, others posting on message boards about it and even the media being able to report on things ALL generate interest. From what Bo says on media days they get about the 1st 20 to 25 minutes and a lot of that is warm-up time.

Is this the "new" thing with P5 programs or just us?

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: lakecityhog on April 07, 2017, 04:43:29 pm
I think that BB making the decision to close practices has a LOT to do with less enthusiasm. Very little to no information being available does little to generate enthusiasm.

Fans seeing practice and talking about it during the week, others posting on message boards about it and even the media being able to report on things ALL generate interest. From what Bo says on media days they get about the 1st 20 to 25 minutes and a lot of that is warm-up time.

Practices have only been closed since CBB arrived.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

bennyl08

If by "thing" you mean a trend or fashion, I can't say. I mean, you can look around at a lot of programs and see that practices are closed. Heck, this year, Miami isn't even having a spring game for the public, and they aren't the first.

However, I bet you can find that at any time. I'd guess that it is more a coach's preference than a trend, but that's a hunch and I didn't back it up with research.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

OnTheHillHogFan

It happens at almost every school. The media at Arkansas is given more access to watch practices than at most schools.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

MuskogeeHogFan

Let the public in, you also let those who would scout you to come in and then that would limit what they can practice and look at in scrimmages/live contact game type situations.

And this is the reason that when you go to a Spring Game it is very, very vanilla and not very exciting. They aren't going to show anything of real value.

There will be plenty of enthusiasm, support and discussion come August.
Go Hogs Go!

PorkSoda

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on April 07, 2017, 04:56:46 pm
Petrino closed practices too.  its not new.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

lakecityhog

I seem to remember practice reports almost daily from guys like Ugly Uncle. Far more open practices in past years than were closed and now it seems to be just the opposite.

Not a big deal to me other than missing the practice reports, I live so far away that I couldn't attend practice anyway.

My post was not meant as a knock on BB so  lower the hackles!
Just stating my opinion that a few open practices might generate a little more enthusiasm.

What people don't see in the spring or in the fall will be COMMON knowledge after Game 1 so that kinda defeats the purpose. Sure, I guess we could play game 1 purely vanilla and try to come out against TCU and trot out the new stuff with zero game experience????? By our 1st SEC game there will be TONS of film available. Not a very viable reason to me.

Now if BB said I close practice to avoid crowd distractions I MIGHT could buy that, but it appears that parents, close friends and friends of the program attend on a regular basis.

Hawgar The Horrible

There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: lakecityhog on April 07, 2017, 06:21:33 pm
I seem to remember practice reports almost daily from guys like Ugly Uncle. Far more open practices in past years than were closed and now it seems to be just the opposite.

Not a big deal to me other than missing the practice reports, I live so far away that I couldn't attend practice anyway.

My post was not meant as a knock on BB so  lower the hackles!
Just stating my opinion that a few open practices might generate a little more enthusiasm.

What people don't see in the spring or in the fall will be COMMON knowledge after Game 1 so that kinda defeats the purpose. Sure, I guess we could play game 1 purely vanilla and try to come out against TCU and trot out the new stuff with zero game experience????? By our 1st SEC game there will be TONS of film available. Not a very viable reason to me.

Now if BB said I close practice to avoid crowd distractions I MIGHT could buy that, but it appears that parents, close friends and friends of the program attend on a regular basis.

Most of UU's practice reports came during August camp. And they don't usually show everything (or hardly anything special) that they have been working on in game 1.
Go Hogs Go!

bythelake

I for one am very enthusiastic about spring practice.  I enjoy any and all info that I run across either on radio sport shows or on my iphone.  Exciting times.

Arthur pigby sellers.

Honestly practice reports are fun to read, but you can get most of the relevant information by listening to the coach press conference.  Also a lot of those reports tended to overhype players or position groups only for us to be letdown when they started SEC play

cpohog

Installing a new defense and maybe a few wrinkles that you do not want your opponents to know about and installing new things for the offense are both valid reasons to close the practices.

hobhog

Quote from: cpohog on April 09, 2017, 12:45:27 am
Installing a new defense and maybe a few wrinkles that you do not want your opponents to know about and installing new things for the offense are both valid reasons to close the practices.

I think a lot has to do with injuries too. Seems I remember a player getting hurt and someone posting it on social media before coaches could contact parents and it caused an issue.

woodhog14

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on April 07, 2017, 04:56:46 pm

No they haven't. Nutt closed them towards the end of his tenure here and BP always had closed practices.

bennyl08

Quote from: woodhog14 on April 09, 2017, 01:14:48 pm
No they haven't. Nutt closed them towards the end of his tenure here and BP always had closed practices.

Then how was I and usually about 50+ other people there to watch so many?
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

PonderinHog

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 09, 2017, 06:08:03 pm
Then how was I and usually about 50+ other people there to watch so many?
I just assumed this was you.

Maybe not...

RazorWest

It's no secret that NFL ratings were drastically down this past season.  That might be spreading to the college game.  Football has been at the pinnacle for the last decade or so, eventually it's going to subside some.  I think we are seeing that now a little.  Just an opinion though, I'm still excited

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 07, 2017, 06:23:30 pm
Most of UU's practice reports came during August camp. And they don't usually show everything (or hardly anything special) that they have been working on in game 1.
And he had a media credential.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

razorsharptusk

I just hope this "Being Brett Bielema" is over with and done. I'd like to coaches mind strictly on football.  I believe that had to be somewhat of a distraction.  We can figure out who Brett is with how he steers the football program. 
GO HOGS!!

ricepig

Quote from: razorsharptusk on April 14, 2017, 07:39:33 am
I just hope this "Being Brett Bielema" is over with and done. I'd like to coaches mind strictly on football.  I believe that had to be somewhat of a distraction.  We can figure out who Brett is with how he steers the football program. 
Nobody's mind is on football 100% of the time, we once had a guy who liked to ride his motorcycle.

Arthur pigby sellers.

And another who sent like 3,000 text to a certain female News women during the middle of the football season but didn't have any time to text our recruits back when it was legal to do that.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: razorsharptusk on April 14, 2017, 07:39:33 am
I hope hope it continues.  Calloway saw it after committing to Iowa and thought that maybe he made a mistake.  That is arguably our best recruit, and it helped in his recruitment.  I'm ready for a new episode. 

Al Boarland

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on April 08, 2017, 10:40:18 pm
Honestly practice reports are fun to read, but you can get most of the relevant information by listening to the coach press conference.  Also a lot of those reports tended to overhype players or position groups only for us to be letdown when they started SEC play

CBB overhyped the DL last season. Take press conferences with a grain of salt. After all, they are going against fellow Hogs.

Al Boarland

Quote from: cpohog on April 09, 2017, 12:45:27 am
They aren't implementing game plans right now and the 3-4 isn't a new defense.  The only thing I can think of is they don't want anyone to see the abilities of players.

bennyl08

Quote from: Al Boarland on April 14, 2017, 12:39:31 pm
CBB overhyped the DL last season. Take press conferences with a grain of salt. After all, they are going against fellow Hogs.

I don't think he did. And I think that's why Robb Smith is no longer here. We saw what Wise Jr and Ledbetter did during the senior bowl and their performances during the combine/pro day. Combined with the likes of Agim, Capps, Winston, etc... that was a very good DL that wasn not used properly.

Al Boarland

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 14, 2017, 12:43:01 pm
I don't think he did. And I think that's why Robb Smith is no longer here. We saw what Wise Jr and Ledbetter did during the senior bowl and their performances during the combine/pro day. Combined with the likes of Agim, Capps, Winston, etc... that was a very good DL that wasn not used properly.
I'll be honest, benny. I rarely agree with your posts. Why didn't former DC CBB step in if it was just a matter of utilization? We'll see what becomes of the D, but my opinion is it will struggle again this season.

ricepig

Quote from: Al Boarland on April 14, 2017, 12:42:49 pm
They aren't implementing game plans right now and the 3-4 isn't a new defense.  The only thing I can think of is they don't want anyone to see the abilities of players.

There's no room at the practice fields, and the stadium is a construction zone.

bennyl08

Quote from: Surfing8 on April 14, 2017, 12:46:21 pm
Bielema had plenty of time and the authority to make adjustments at any time before and during the season.

Quote from: Al Boarland on April 14, 2017, 12:49:21 pm
I'll be honest, benny. I rarely agree with your posts. Why didn't former DC CBB step in if it was just a matter of utilization? We'll see what becomes of the D, but my opinion is it will struggle again this season.

You both are right that he could have, but neither is a counter to us having a good argument. We could have a WR corp with Julio Jones, AJ Green, Antonio Brown, and Doug Baldwin that only gets a total of 1500 combined yards. Coaches would still be justified in hyping up that receiver corp as being very good. Because that would be an incredible receiving corp.

Also, sorry but I don't remember any of your posts boarland.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Al Boarland on April 14, 2017, 12:39:31 pm
I'm going to hold on to my hope that Jackson's quotes about the DL being restricted under Smith mean that we actually have a good DL and will see that now

Mike_e

Quote from: Surfing8 on April 14, 2017, 12:46:21 pm
Bielema had plenty of time and the authority to make adjustments at any time before and during the season.

Wouldn't have happened before the season because our O line wasn't good enough to show the weakness.

The first part of the season we were getting by.

The middle of the season you've drawn to an inside straight and haven't gotten all of your cards yet.

The last few games are no time to change scheme unless you have no hope of winning those games.

After the season there was a change in both DCs and schemes.

Sure is easy to gripe about it though, isn't it.  ;)

Edit:  man I miss getting smited.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

PorkSoda

Quote from: Al Boarland on April 14, 2017, 12:49:21 pm
its management style, sometime you have to give someone enough rope to hang themselves with.  if CBB had stepped in and changed things in the last few games and it didn't work, then the DC can complain that CBB meddling was why things didn't work.

CBB handled it correctly.  he gave RS the opportunity to prove he could make improvements.  it didn't work out, a change was made after the season as it should be.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Al Boarland

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 14, 2017, 03:27:56 pm
its management style, sometime you have to give someone enough rope to hang themselves with.  if CBB had stepped in and changed things in the last few games and it didn't work, then the DC can complain that CBB meddling was why things didn't work.

CBB handled it correctly.  he gave RS the opportunity to prove he could make improvements.  it didn't work out, a change was made after the season as it should be.
I think we will all come away understanding it's the jimmies and joes.  Just my  2 cents. A lot of credit is being given to a guy that has yet to break the 7 win regular season mark. Sitting back letting things play out while your team is getting ran all over isn't handling it right.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Al Boarland on April 14, 2017, 03:44:36 pm
I think we will all come away understanding it's the jimmies and joes.  Just my  2 cents. A lot of credit is being given to a guy that has yet to break the 7 win regular season mark. Sitting back letting things play out while your team is getting ran all over isn't handling it right.
we just see it differently.  team chemistry is important.  sometimes the boss running around playing billy badass isn't the best strategy when things are going their way.

some times its more important to try to get everyone on the same page and work with what you have.

rljjr

It's spring. Practices are closed. The stadium is in a state of change. Baseball is going great so far. The coaches aren't raising expectations with their comments. They seem dialed in on improving the team and recruiting. It's as I like it. The less hype, the less puffery the better. Ramp it up toward the beginning of the season. Quiet confidence. Prove it on the field. I'd rather do it that way than be Tennessee with wildly unrealistic expectations every year.

Al Boarland

Quote from: rljjr on April 14, 2017, 05:14:05 pm
It's spring. Practices are closed. The stadium is in a state of change. Baseball is going great so far. The coaches aren't raising expectations with their comments. They seem dialed in on improving the team and recruiting. It's as I like it. The less hype, the less puffery the better. Ramp it up toward the beginning of the season. Quiet confidence. Prove it on the field. I'd rather do it that way than be Tennessee with wildly unrealistic expectations every year.
Agreed. 7/8 wins are my expectation. Pretty realistic IYAM.

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

rogers-hog

I also think that the presence of social media and the gotcha mentality these days requires coaches to close practices. This allows them to keep the kids and people with alternate agendas from torpedoing coaches or players. Think Reggie herring and how hard they went after us for pink jerseys can you imagine if they had video of him in a kids face telling him exactly why he was wearing one.