Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Markel Crawford. this thread from the Memphis forum

Started by forrest city joe, April 05, 2017, 09:47:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

forrest city joe

One poster says word on the street is he is Arkansas bound. i do not believe it.he would be a grad transfer.and it's if he leaves Tiger High. lots of players looking at Arkansas these days.that game against UNC help this program even more.Memphis Board.  http://csnbbs.com/thread-814577-page-4.html

King Kong

Hawg Red

Really, really hope this would be a "go for it" move to try to bolster our NCAA tournament chances/arsenal and not a response to a coming loss of Macon or Barford. Hope we'd be adding him to Macon and Barford and not him replacing one.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 05, 2017, 10:37:29 pm
Really, really hope this would be a "go for it" move to try to bolster our NCAA tournament chances/arsenal and not a response to a coming loss of Macon or Barford. Hope we'd be adding him to Macon and Barford and not him replacing one.

He's have to sit out next year anyways right, so it wouldn't be to replace them?

This guy sure was rated high out of high school.  I really have no problem with it.  I don't think we really need anybody else for 2017.  Were not going to improve our guards or forwards.  Moses will be missed the most and we won't find a better replacement for him than gafford.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on April 06, 2017, 12:27:52 am
He's have to sit out next year anyways right, so it wouldn't be to replace them?

This guy sure was rated high out of high school.  I really have no problem with it.  I don't think we really need anybody else for 2017.  Were not going to improve our guards or forwards.  Moses will be missed the most and we won't find a better replacement for him than gafford.

Grad Transfer. Crawford does not have to sit out

Hawg Red

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on April 06, 2017, 12:27:52 am

Clearly states that he's a grad transfer. He's 6'5, 208 and averaged 13 PPG last year. He'd start at the 3/big guard for the Hogs.

jry04

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 05, 2017, 10:37:29 pm
Barford is returning. I think Macon is too and doing all of this for attention, but who really knows.

Ironhawg

What's up with Tiger High all of a sudden?  Tubby seems to have players fleeing left and right?

navyhog24

I would rather have the Weathers kid if we're gonna take on a transfer and if the Lawsons are a no-go. Darrington and Weathers would seem to be our best options as they are PG's. We don't need another wing.

Hawg Red

Quote from: navyhog24 on April 06, 2017, 08:27:28 am
I would rather have the Weathers kid if we're gonna take on a transfer and if the Lawsons are a no-go. Darrington and Weathers would seem to be our best options as they are PG's. We don't need another wing.

He have uno wing player on the roster for next season and he's a freshman. Might want to re-think that. We have 5 guards, however. Say we're a bubble team right now. I think Crawford pushes us off the bubble and into the NCAAs. He'd be a difference-maker as a senior wing.

NWAHog479

Hawg Red

Quote from: NWAHog479 on April 06, 2017, 09:08:44 am
Did we recruit him out of high school?

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Markel-Crawford-21049/RecruitInterests

It appears that we did offer him in high school, with the Head Hog himself listed as the recruiter.

navyhog24

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 06, 2017, 09:01:41 am
He have uno wing player on the roster for next season and he's a freshman. Might want to re-think that. We have 5 guards, however. Say we're a bubble team right now. I think Crawford pushes us off the bubble and into the NCAAs. He'd be a difference-maker as a senior wing.

Usually, I would agree with you except Mike liked to play small, ie 3-guard lineups. We have no pure floor general right now. A grad-transfer would just add another missing body for 2018. That would make for 7 new incomers that class. Mike needs to balance out the classes a little. A grad transfer would only make it worse.

onebadrubi

Something to keep in mind, the memphis program has been runned by its players for some time now.  Pastner allowed the prima dona's to run the show, he had no structure, and no discipline.  I would "assume" Smith is bringing in some structure and not allowing prima dona attitude, could be a possibility for why you are seeing some kids want out. 

wavybone

Yeah although having Crawford for next year would be nice, having 7 newcomers for 2018 is pretty rough. Would only want to take him if it was our last option to fill a spot. Think right now, it looks like we'll either take Dedric Lawson (if it's even an option) or Weathers. Taking either would fill a need and add to our talent level.

Man recruiting is a lot of fun now compared to a couple of years ago.

Hawg Red

Quote from: navyhog24 on April 06, 2017, 09:25:04 am
Usually, I would agree with you except Mike liked to play small, ie 3-guard lineups. We have no pure floor general right now. A grad-transfer would just add another missing body for 2018. That would make for 7 new incomers that class. Mike needs to balance out the classes a little. A grad transfer would only make it worse.

"Liked to" or "had to" play small, 3-guard lineups?

Mike is looking at grad transfers. That's a reality. He looked at Duane Wilson and we'll see what happens with Crawford. We can only trust that Mike knows what he's doing. I agree that large classes of newcomers are not ideal but a player like Crawford could tip us in the right direction.

Hawg Red

Quote from: wavybone on April 06, 2017, 09:29:48 am
Yeah although having Crawford for next year would be nice, having 7 newcomers for 2018 is pretty rough. Would only want to take him if it was our last option to fill a spot. Think right now, it looks like we'll either take Dedric Lawson (if it's even an option) or Weathers. Taking either would fill a need and add to our talent level.

I don't see how you can think that is the plan right now when both of them only became available yesterday....

King Kong

Quote from: wavybone on April 06, 2017, 09:29:48 am

In terms of options. Outside of the Lawson's Crawford would be the next best option

navyhog24

Quote from: King Kong on April 06, 2017, 10:26:02 am
In terms of options. Outside of the Lawson's Crawford would be the next best option

It's only looking good for next season. Marcus Weathers or Chris Darrington would really help with the newcomers from the 2018 class. Having an experienced PG at the helm with that class would do wonders for that year's team. 9 or 10 of the players on that roster will be freshmen and sophomores. An experienced PG to do dish to all of that talent would the best way to go IMO.

PorkRinds

Quote from: jry04 on April 06, 2017, 08:11:05 am
Barford is returning. I think Macon is too and doing all of this for attention, but who really knows.

What is "all of this"?

wavybone

PorkRinds

Quote from: wavybone on April 06, 2017, 11:11:44 am
His decision on whether or not he will return.

So making a decision is all about attention? I keep seeing people say he's trying to get attention but I follow him on twitter and haven't really seen much. Just wondering where "all of this" is coming from because I haven't seen him say much about it.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 06, 2017, 11:13:38 am
So making a decision is all about attention? I keep seeing people say he's trying to get attention but I follow him on twitter and haven't really seen much. Just wondering where "all of this" is coming from because I haven't seen him say much about it.

I have seen what you have, PorkRinds, which isn't much.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

azhog10

I believe he's referring to his tweeting. He has very much made some tweets that have invited attention and dialogue amongst fans. Moses never said much of anything as he tested the waters. Macon has chosen to go about this differently. Not saying it's wrong. Just saying he's definitely made it more drama filled.

PorkRinds

Quote from: azhog10 on April 06, 2017, 11:22:11 am
I believe he's referring to his tweeting. He has very much made some tweets that have invited attention and dialogue amongst fans. Moses never said much of anything as he tested the waters. Macon has chosen to go about this differently. Not saying it's wrong. Just saying he's definitely made it more drama filled.

Like what? I'd just like to see the tweets for myself.

jry04

You don't see it on twitter because he deletes it 5 minutes after he tweets it. I would say at least 10-15 tweets of his in the past 2 weeks have been deleted. He was literally searching his name on twitter multiple times a day to find anyone talking about him, but not talking to/@ him and quoting their tweet and trying to have a back and forth with them. People would tweet "I hope Macon returns because if he doesn't he is probably in Europe and not the NBA." Macon would then quote their tweet and say "save this tweet because you are wrong" or "is that how you really feel? I guess we will see wont we" among other things. He would do 5+ at a time in a night, and then delete them all within 5-10 minutes. Then a few days later you would see it all over again. He has calmed down on it as of late, but last week it seemed like every day he was searching his name and going back and forth with fans.

Realistically, if he leaves it is for Europe because he does not have a shot at the NBA this year. That is a fact. However, he has told multiple fans he has NBA talent, or we will see whether he makes the NBA or not, etc. It is almost like he is trying to convince people he can make the NBA this year so people think he has a legit shot of leaving and then spend all week tweeting at him to stay, talking about what he means to the team on the radio, etc. Most of the guys who are legit thinking about leaving and have a shot do not say much. Portis, Qualls, Moses, BJ Young, etc weren't tweeting at fans trying to prove to them they could leave.

jry04

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on April 06, 2017, 12:15:59 pm
Not sure how to link tweets, but one person said something along the lines of good lucking working at McDonald's if he declared or something close to that. Macon responded by saying That's really how you feel? And more of that kind of dialogue. Obviously he knows he's endeared to Hog fans and he's relishing the moment. I don't think he leaves, just enjoying the fame of being a high profile college athlete.
Exactly. Some have been unnecessary like that one. However, many have been just conversation among fans who weren't even directing it to Macon's twitter and he went searching for people talking about him. I personally don't mind a player/recruit tweeting back at fans when the fan is dumb enough to @ that player, but some of the conversations did not even warrant a response. I am all in having faith in your skills, and I hope he plays with that edge next year. Play as if you have something to prove. However, it doesn't take a genius to see a junior who averaged 13 ppg, didn't make any all-conference lists, and is not projected in either 2017 or 2018 draft on ANY site is likely not going to make the NBA if he leaves this year. That isn't to say he will never make it or is a bad player, it is just an unfortunate fact.

However, he could make a nice living overseas.

jry04

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on April 06, 2017, 12:37:21 pm
Completely agree. And it goes back to enjoying the attention. He only gets to be a Hog player for 2 years. It's been one of his dreams to play here, so he's not going to turn down another year, especially when it's his best option and beneficial to him. He'll be more of a BMOC, people will be a but more excited when he announces he's returning than if it were just casual and expected. He's using it as a hype tool. Sure, spotlight will be more on him next year, but he likes that. And he'll have to have a successful year regardless to make it big, so why not draw in national attention? Hell, Trump used Twitter as a platform for drawing attention and look how that worked out!

About the OP, though. Doubt we take Crawford. He did average 15 last year, but we can't afford another 7 player turnover. I'd rather have a solid transfer that will get better while sitting out or a JUCO like Darrington that at least has 2 more years. Having said that, if CMA feels like this guy's skills and experience will be a difference maker and help us make a tourney run, he knows more than I and I'm all for it!
The one advantage we could have if we fill this last spot with a grad transfer is it makes our team next year immediately better, and frees up an additional scholarship for '18 that we previously thought may have been taken up by a JUCO, transfer who was sitting out for '17, or a freshman we have to develop. I may be wrong, but I think we currently have 2 scholarships available for '18, and filling this with a grad transfer who has 1 year will free that spot up to make 3 for 2018. Justice could still reclassify, potentially get Brown and Moss, or just Brown and get another grad transfer/JUCO. If Justice reclassifies, then I definitely would like to have an extra scholarship or two to get some experience or a highly recruited JUCO guy who can come in and have some maturity and provide leadership. We will not have a single senior on the 2018-2019 team, and only 3 JRs on scholarship.

Hogs49ers

How the hell was Memphis so bad this last year?  After seeing all the Tigers transferring, I went and looked at their last 4 recruiting classes and they just continue to keep getting amazing players, but continue to be turrible.
SCREW Vandy!

forrest city joe

Quote from: Hogs49ers on April 06, 2017, 12:58:26 pm
How the hell was Memphis so bad this last year?  After seeing all the Tigers transferring, I went and looked at their last 4 recruiting classes and they just continue to keep getting amazing players, but continue to be turrible.
Because they are Tiger High. some of those kids need to get out of that city like Ron Huery,Todd Day,Arlyn Bowers,Marlon Towns,Corey Beck,Dwight Stewart and others did. that city is a cesspoole  of corruption.FedX giving parent good jobs to get players for Tiger High.and getting away with it.the Memphis players i listed above left Memphis and came to Arkansas. Day and Bowers went to the final 4 and to the Elite 8. and Beck and Stewart won a national championship.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 06, 2017, 01:24:46 pm
Because they are Tiger High. some of those kids need to get out of that city like Ron Huery,Todd Day,Arlyn Bowers,Marlon Towns,Corey Beck,Dwight Stewart and others did. that city is a cesspoole  of corruption.FedX giving parent good jobs to get players for Tiger High.and getting away with it.the Memphis players i listed above left Memphis and came to Arkansas. Day and Bowers went to the final 4 and to the Elite 8. and Beck and Stewart won a national championship.

If we could open up that pipeline again, Joe, I would be one happy little lady back!
#NolanRichardsonCourt

forrest city joe

Quote from: Little Lady Back on April 06, 2017, 01:47:46 pm
If we could open up that pipeline again, Joe, I would be one happy little lady back!
Going to be hard.the media over there hates Arkansas. and it goes way back to the Nolan years.they never got over Arkansas getting the top player in the city 3 times.Ron Huery,Todd Day and Marlon Towns.The media bashing,and the AAU in Memphis killed Arkansas recruiting in Memphis.i can't stand them.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Ironhawg on April 06, 2017, 08:15:04 am
What's up with Tiger High all of a sudden?  Tubby seems to have players fleeing left and right?

He doesn't baby them and pander to them the way they want.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 06, 2017, 06:17:13 pm
He doesn't baby them and pander to them the way they want.
They are like the baby who throws a crying fit and falls on the floor screaming in the checkout line at Walmart because mama won't buy that toy or candy bar. Everybody in the line wants to spank that baby's butt.

Well, Tubby is spanking some butts over there and some of the babies can't take it.
Hogs up! Covid down!

HawgnCorona

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HawgnCorona on April 08, 2017, 06:45:23 pm
Tubby has always been tough to play for...

Most good coaches are a little tough to play for.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hawg Red

Crawford has announced his transfer from Memphis. I'm hoping to see him in a Hog jersey if we don't get Amauri Hardy or Shakwon Barrett.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Put me in the Crawford camp. There is no guarantee that these other kids we are on will every be double digits DI scorers like Crawford already is

bolo1010

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 10, 2017, 05:59:53 pm
Put me in the Crawford camp. There is no guarantee that these other kids we are on will every be double digits DI scorers like Crawford already is

Weathers averaged 16.7 ppg, 4.2 reb, and 4.8 assists at Miami(OH) this year.  And he's a freshman.  I'd like to have Crawford but this kid has already proved he can fill up a stat sheet against D-1 competition and we could have him for 3 years. He would go well with the kids we have coming in the next 2-3 years.

bolo1010

April 10, 2017, 08:55:19 pm #40 Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 05:30:55 pm by bolo1010
And he led the team in blocks and steals for the season.  Seems to have a high basketball IQ.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: bolo1010 on April 10, 2017, 08:49:14 pm
Weathers averaged 16.7 ppg, 4.2 reb, and 4.8 assists at Miami(OH) this year.  And he's a freshman.  I'd like to have Crawford but this kid has already proved he can fill up a stat sheet against D-1 competition and we could have him for 3 years. He would go well with the kids we have coming in the next 2-3 years.

Weathers team was 11-21. Crawford's won 19 games in a much tougher conference. Crawford dropped 28 on South Carolina this year

I like Weathers. I would put him second on my wish list behind Crawford. I think Crawford could make us a Sweet 16 type team next year

Letsroll1200

bolo1010

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 10, 2017, 08:58:50 pm
Weathers team was 11-21. Crawford's won 19 games in a much tougher conference. Crawford dropped 28 on South Carolina this year

I like Weathers. I would put him second on my wish list behind Crawford. I think Crawford could make us a Sweet 16 type team next year

I think you could make great points about both of them.  I think Crawford would have good immediate impact for next year but I think in long terms our best option is Weathers. I wouldn't be mad if another spot opened up (whatever the case may be) and we could land both of them.

batmanfan

Take one of the pgs and crawford and let things work themselves out.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

HawgHoops

Hardy is who they are after first. He got the offer. Plus he is visiting this weekend.
Then I think they look towards Crawford.
I like Weathers, but I think he's on the outside looking in for an offer right now.

I really like all 3 guys.

Obviously, Crawford would make biggest immediate impact, but I think Hall/Garland can offer more next year than people think. So I am hoping for Hardy. Especially if Justice Hill doesn't move up to the 2018 class.

King Kong

Quote from: HawgHoops on April 11, 2017, 04:46:09 pm
Hardy is who they are after first. He got the offer. Plus he is visiting this weekend.
Then I think they look towards Crawford.
I like Weathers, but I think he's on the outside looking in for an offer right now.

I really like all 3 guys.

Obviously, Crawford would make biggest immediate impact, but I think Hall/Garland can offer more next year than people think. So I am hoping for Hardy. Especially if Justice Hill doesn't move up to the 2018 class.

Weathers actually received an offer hours before Hardy. During his in home visit with MA.

IMO it looks like first to accept the offer between Hardy and Weathers

Letsroll1200

With Oklahoma State hiring of Weather's former coach I think they have the inside track for him. I'm hoping we get a commitment from Hardy. A 4 star guard to code out this class would be great.

NWAHog479

Hardy is visiting us for 3 days this weekend, we pulled Weathers visit... Sounds like one is coming here and the other is going to OSU.