Dennis Winston

And it's "athletes".

EastexHawg

EastexHawg

Polecat

Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

bphi11ips

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 10, 2017, 01:42:38 pm
As you allude to in your next post, production and accolades do not define athletic talent. Hard to beat the stats and accolades, but if the question is the best athlete, then stats and accolades become irrelevant.

Of course, Dmac still among the best just by athleticism as well; however, Matt Jones has almost identical athleticism in a much larger body so I give him the top nod.

Depends on how you define "football athlete".  Athleticism is expressed in many ways.  What is more important, strength or speed?  Depends on the position.

No one who saw Jerry Eckwood play before his knee injury needs to see his numbers.  No one who saw Dennis Winston fly to the ball needs to see numbers. No one who saw Shawn Andrews pancake linemen needs to see numbers. 

If "Arkansas born and bred" is the criteria, Keith Jackson and DeAngelo Wlliams should  be on the list.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: tusked on April 06, 2017, 04:24:40 pm
Jerry Eckwood

Steve Little

Both good names but I don't think Little was from Arkansas. Eckwood was a beast.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

bennyl08

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 12, 2017, 09:23:29 am
Depends on how you define "football athlete".  Athleticism is expressed in many ways.  What is more important, strength or speed?  Depends on the position.

No one who saw Jerry Eckwood play before his knee injury needs to see his numbers.  No one who saw Dennis Winston fly to the ball needs to see numbers. No one who saw Shawn Andrews pancake linemen needs to see numbers. 

If "Arkansas born and bred" is the criteria, Keith Jackson and DeAngelo Wlliams should  be on the list.

Nobody who saw Joe Adams play needed to see the numbers, but once they did, his stock dropped.

Completely agree on the different definition aspect. For me, I consider the player who is optimal in each category. I.e. there are a lot of people who can run 4.4 forties, but they weigh 130 pounds or so and don't have the strength of size to be able to play contact sports and would slow down too much if they added the weight. There are a lot of guy who are really strong and can lift heavy weights, but they don't have near enough quickness or speed to play sports. So for me, a person who is 5'8 180 and runs a 4.40 is less athletic than somebody who is 6'2 210 running a 4.45. Somebody who can put up 40 reps on the bench but runs a 5.8 forty is less athletic than somebody who puts up 35 reps on the bench and runs a 4.8 forty.

Admittedly, I also use athleticism to define how well a person can just pick up a sport. We all know somebody where no matter what sport you play, they are instantly going to be one of the best in the group at it. Just has a really natural control of their body.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse