Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Honest Opinion, do you think Arkansas looks better this year than last year?

Started by Ben, April 05, 2017, 12:05:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

devildog

I think slightly better, no one leaving is projected above 4th round NFL talent. And there's this strange way about a defense that gets pushed around but in turn gets a full season of learning from mistakes. Sometimes they get an attitude and one or two of them develop into playmakers and they come on as a good unit. I'm hoping this happens and if so the Hogs will be a tough out. That's my slightly better scenario.

Al Boarland

Quote from: devildog on April 05, 2017, 09:07:23 pm
I think slightly better, no one leaving is projected above 4th round NFL talent. And there's this strange way about a defense that gets pushed around but in turn gets a full season of learning from mistakes. Sometimes they get an attitude and one or two of them develop into playmakers and they come on as a good unit. I'm hoping this happens and if so the Hogs will be a tough out. That's my slightly better scenario.

Agreed. Being a tough out is the foundation of the program. Too many times teams have taken us lightly only to be served up with a L. That's where we make our mark.

bphi11ips

We replace virtually the entire receiving corps, the left tackle, almost all of the D-line, the middle linebacker, and a veteran punter. 

Our defense last year was among the worst in school history.  Our offense struggled to score in the second half during the last half of the season. 

After QB and Center, this is a young team. I have no idea what to expect. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Al Boarland

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 05, 2017, 09:34:38 pm
We replace virtually the entire receiving corps, the left tackle, almost all of the D-line, the middle linebacker, and a veteran punter. 

Our defense last year was among the worst in school history.  Our offense struggled to score in the second half during the last half of the season. 

After QB and Center, this is a young team. I have no idea what to expect.

I think that equates to better everywhere. That makes the most sense. Year 2 coach with a line that struggled to protect the QB. WR's from JUCO always work out. D line was bad. New guys will be stellar because we promoted the DB coach and changed  to a system the requires hole pluggers up front. LB's will be elite even though they weren't elite recruits. New exercises will make us a 2nd half juggernaut. I'm feeling the optimissum creep in.

go hogues

Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: NashvilleHog on April 05, 2017, 04:01:13 pm
We blew a lead against TCU and got away with a miraculous win.  We gave up 28 points in the 2nd half to Mississippi State and if not for an onside kick that they recovered an inch too soon, we were leaking oil severely in the 2nd half. 

We blew large leads against Missouri and Va Tech and were outscored by LSU 17-3 in the second half; A&M outscored us 28-7 in the second half; Auburn outscored us 28-0 in the second half. 

Until we see a cure for our second-half woes, I can't buy-in to us being better this year.

This.

This x1000

Gonna be a lot of disappointed people this year by reading this thread. Unfortunate for CBB that expectations appear to be this high.

Lost a lot of offensive production last year and the defense is installing a completely new system, with hardly any DL to speak of other than Agim. If the defense isn't worse I will be surprised. Here's to hoping

jgphillips3

This year's team is definitely better than last years.  We are deeper, more talented and more experienced at every position except receiver (and there the JUCO kids have the potential to be better).  Our Offensive line and Defense last year were between horrible and historically bad and we still won 7 games and should have won 9.  Our offensive line and defense should be anywhere from improved to solid.  If the defensive installation goes well and there are no serious injuries, I see a 9 win season. 

Al Boarland

Quote from: jgphillips3 on April 05, 2017, 10:23:04 pm
This year's team is definitely better than last years.  We are deeper, more talented and more experienced at every position except receiver (and there the JUCO kids have the potential to be better).  Our Offensive line and Defense last year were between horrible and historically bad and we still won 7 games and should have won 9.  Our offensive line and defense should be anywhere from improved to solid.  If the defensive installation goes well and there are no serious injuries, I see a 9 win season.

Should have won 9? What about the games we barely escaped with a W?

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: Al Boarland on April 06, 2017, 01:46:44 am
Should have one 9? What about the games we barely escaped with an W?

Its easy to forget about those.

Shouldve lost LaTech.
Shouldve lost TCU
Couldve lost Miss St
Couldve lost Ole Miss

factchecker

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on April 06, 2017, 04:18:13 am

Shouldve lost LaTech.
Shouldve lost TCU
Couldve lost Miss St
Couldve lost Ole Miss

Another great fan who believes in moral losses.

Seriously, there is no way anyone (no matter how much they hate the Hogs) can say we should or could have lost to Mississippi State.  We won by 16.  We never trailed and had a lead from the 12:29 in the 2nd quarter forward.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=400869062
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on April 06, 2017, 04:18:13 am

Shouldve lost LaTech.
Shouldve lost TCU
Couldve lost Miss St
Couldve lost Ole Miss

These are the people who show their true agenda.

They aren't realist.  They HATE the Hogs.  Saying that we should have or could have lost games is a true demonstration of WANTING the Hogs to lose.

Pathetic.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

This fanbase needs a giant enema.  Too many turds floating around wanting us to lose and harassing players on social media.

Have fun wallowing in your feces filled existence looking for ways to discredit the team you "cheer".
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

LZH

Until we can prove that our coaches are capable of making halftime or in-game adjustments (that pretty much any Division 2 teams routinely make), I have little confidence in this season.  Yeah, I said in January that we'd win nine games, but the more I think of it the more I think we blow several games that we should win (again).

I have problems with the new defense...not the 3-4 per se, just running a new scheme with average players in the toughest division in CFB.  There are plenty of teams that run the 3-4 that get totally blasted, too.  I also have my doubts concerning the OL - "we're definitely gonna be better; more experience; better coaching; etc".  Says who?  Bielema?  His sound bites are getting old.

One game does not make a season, but if we get torched by TCU then I think we'll be lucky to get to 6-6.  But if we spank their ass, like we should, then I'll feel quite a bit better...at least it will give me some hope that some of the changes might actually work.

I'm just tired of another "this is the year"...I'm tired of the inconsistencies...I'm tired of being compared to the likes of Mississippi State, Ole Miss, and A&M (teams we used to freekin own)...I'm tired of the excuses for why we've slid so far down the totem pole.  I'm tired of watching our head coach, a 'defensive guru', not putting an SEC caliber defense on the field.  I'm just sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Al Boarland

Quote from: factchecker on April 06, 2017, 04:46:57 am

They aren't realist.  They HATE the Hogs.  Saying that we should have or could have lost games is a true demonstration of WANTING the Hogs to lose.

Pathetic.

How any arguments have their been about games we should have won? I think you should just throw out the should haves.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: LZH on April 06, 2017, 05:02:30 am
Until we can prove that our coaches are capable of making halftime or in-game adjustments (that pretty much any Division 2 teams routinely make), I have little confidence in this season.  Yeah, I said in January that we'd win nine games, but the more I think of it the more I think we blow several games that we should win (again).

I have problems with the new defense...not the 3-4 per se, just running a new scheme with average players in the toughest division in CFB.  There are plenty of teams that run the 3-4 that get totally blasted, too.  I also have my doubts concerning the OL - "we're definitely gonna be better; more experience; better coaching; etc".  Says who?  Bielema?  His sound bites are getting old.

One game does not make a season, but if we get torched by TCU then I think we'll be lucky to get to 6-6.  But if we spank their ass, like we should, then I'll feel quite a bit better...at least it will give me some hope that some of the changes might actually work.

I'm just tired of another "this is the year"...I'm tired of the inconsistencies...I'm tired of being compared to the likes of Mississippi State, Ole Miss, and A&M (teams we used to freekin own)...I'm tired of the excuses for why we've slid so far down the totem pole.  I'm tired of watching our head coach, a 'defensive guru', not putting an SEC caliber defense on the field.  I'm just sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Apparently, one game does make a difference if you think it will cause the season to be 6-6.

And I ask you bellyaching fans - What is the solution? A new coach? Who? Is it realistic we could hire a new coach?

And can it be guaranteed that this new coach would get us to the 9 win average that you want?

Stop bellyaching and answer the questions. You question the decisions of CBB, so now let's read your brilliant solutions to the problems. I have my popcorn ready and this should be entertaining.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LZH on April 06, 2017, 05:02:30 am

Have you noticed that Bielema is being pretty quiet about making any projections for this team? It's the folks here on Hogville who are projecting the way the season will go.
Go Hogs Go!

LZH

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 06, 2017, 05:45:55 am
Apparently, one game does make a difference if you think it will cause the season to be 6-6.

And I ask you bellyaching fans - What is the solution? A new coach? Who? Is it realistic we could hire a new coach?

And can it be guaranteed that this new coach would get us to the 9 win average that you want?

Stop bellyaching and answer the questions. You question the decisions of CBB, so now let's read your brilliant solutions to the problems. I have my popcorn ready and this should be entertaining.  ;D

Bide our time for the next two years (while hoping for the best), then find a new coach....one that actually has some ideas and can out-scheme and out-coach most of our competition.  Other than once in a blue moon, it's painfully obvious that BB can't do that.  And to answer your question in bold...we had a coach that could win 9+ games a year, so there's nothing to convince me that we can't find another one.

And if you read the first two words the OP typed, it says "Honest Opinion".  So, I gave it.  Also in my honest opinion, maybe the folks that are OK with 7-6 seasons should buy some Vanderbilt or Southern Miss T-shirts...those fans pray for mediocrity and squirt their shorts if they wind up in Shreveport at the end of the year.

But not me buddy....we all deserve better.

LZH

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 06, 2017, 05:59:41 am
Have you noticed that Bielema is being pretty quiet about making any projections for this team? It's the folks here on Hogville who are projecting the way the season will go.

Predicting our record?....No.  But he's sure talking up the OL.

Steef

Until we see a cure for our second-half woes, I can't buy-in to us being better this year.

This.

Team attitude (or lack of) is a coaching problem.
Lack of adjustment is a coaching problem.
Becoming predictable to our opponents during the course of the game is a coaching problem.
Not knowing what to do, when your gameplan expires...is a coaching problem.

We have good and (some) great athletes. Let's see if our staff has (can) finally figured out how to use them for four quarters instead of two.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: LZH on April 06, 2017, 06:06:46 am
Bide our time for the next two years (while hoping for the best), then find a new coach....one that actually has some ideas and can out-scheme and out-coach most of our competition.  Other than once in a blue moon, it's painfully obvious that BB can't do that.  And to answer your question in bold...we had a coach that could win 9+ games a year, so there's nothing to convince me that we can't find another one.

And if you read the first two words the OP typed, it says "Honest Opinion".  So, I gave it.  Also in my honest opinion, maybe the folks that are OK with 7-6 seasons should buy some Vanderbilt or Southern Miss T-shirts...those fans pray for mediocrity and squirt their shorts if they wind up in Shreveport at the end of the year.

But not me buddy....we all deserve better.

So who is this miraculous coach we are going to hire?

Just saying "hire a new coach" isn't a solution. We needed a new coach after JLS and we hired one. Simply saying "hire a new coach" is taking the easy route. Who would it be and can we get them?
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

riccoar

Quote from: factchecker on April 06, 2017, 04:46:57 am

Pathetic.

Pork Twain

We have more depth and talent at every position, with the exception of WR.  I would say that leads to looking better.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Al Boarland on April 05, 2017, 03:55:41 pm
I would say Auburn and LSU are both wild cards due to the fact we will not be favored. At best you have to categorize them as a toss up. Have you checked the FPI for this season yet?
FPI is the most overrated stat in college football. This is a new season with new players and coaches. We have no idea how strong or weak these teams will be. Every season there is at least 1 Cinderella team/under achiever in the SEC. We just have to wait and see
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

The NewEra

Whether we are better this year or not is solely in the hands of the kids on the hill.  There is enough talent at the player and coaching level to be a good team.  We'll see how much this team wants it.  It's all up to them.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LZH on April 06, 2017, 06:19:01 am

I've not heard him say anything that sounds as if he might be embellishing the situation. Actually, when you consider that he says something like "we might see some true Freshmen seeing some playing time" is not an indicator that things are all that solid. Now could he be using that public statement as subtle motivation for the older players on the O-Line? Sure he could be, coaches use that little trick all the time. But if that is what he is doing, that concerns me that he has to utilize that ruse to light a fire under someones arse who has already been here for a while.

On the other hand, maybe we have some Freshmen that are true men right now and if they are better than the guys who were here ahead of them, by all means, play the Freshman, but that doesn't always work out well on the OL.

Point being, I haven't heard Bielema say much at all about how great the O-Line or any other part of the team is going to be.
Go Hogs Go!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 06, 2017, 07:55:59 am
I've not heard him say anything that sounds as if he might be embellishing the situation. Actually, when you consider that he says something like "we might see some true Freshmen seeing some playing time" is not an indicator that things are all that solid. Now could he be using that public statement as subtle motivation for the older players on the O-Line? Sure he could be, coaches use that little trick all the time. But if that is what he is doing, that concerns me that he has to utilize that ruse to light a fire under someones arse who has already been here for a while.

On the other hand, maybe we have some Freshmen that are true men right now and if they are better than the guys who were here ahead of them, by all means, play the Freshman, but that doesn't always work out well on the OL.

Point being, I haven't heard Bielema say much at all about how great the O-Line or any other part of the team is going to be.

Exactly. CBB's comments about Fruholt have simply been he was lost at times last year or too aggressive. He said he is showing vast improvements which you would expect from a 4 star recruit.

I don't see where you can take his comments as being over the top. Fruholt should be better this year.

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: LZH on April 06, 2017, 06:19:01 am

Talking about the OL is not talking up the OL.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

We blew a lead against TCU and got away with a miraculous win.  We gave up 28 points in the 2nd half to Mississippi State and if not for an onside kick that they recovered an inch too soon, we were leaking oil severely in the 2nd half. 

We blew large leads against Missouri and Va Tech and were outscored by LSU 17-3 in the second half; A&M outscored us 28-7 in the second half; Auburn outscored us 28-0 in the second half. 

That'a 100% mental... Quicksand, ya know...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on April 06, 2017, 07:34:00 am
FPI is the most overrated stat in college football. This is a new season with new players and coaches. We have no idea how strong or weak these teams will be. Every season there is at least 1 Cinderella team/under achiever in the SEC. We just have to wait and see

Actually it's very accurate. Just not right now. As I said either here or in another thread, I pick games before the season based on talent. It's as accurate a predictor as anything else.

razorbackfan4life

Offense

The OL, as a unit, will have to be tremendously better, or we will be looking at a similar record as last year.  The games we lost last year we struggled at getting push, thus killing our run game. 

Also we all know how good Austin Allen was when he wasn't getting murdered by the opposing defense.

WR unit should be fine.  Same as the TE's. 

RB group should be even better.  As long as they learn how to block and pick up blitzes. 

There is room for optimism on that side of the ball.  It all hinges on OL play. 

Defense

We SHOULD improve, but switching to a new scheme might take time to mesh. 

The DL has plenty of talent and options. 

LB corp has the numbers, and I think the switch to the 3-4 will only help that unit.  It was always a struggle for our LB's to play in space.  Hopefully the switch will help correct that. 

Secondary unit is probably the most talented group we've ever had on campus, in that department.  Problem is that we will be relying on true freshman.  There will be mistakes, but it's nice to have some speed and skill back there for once. 

Final Thoughts

Overall the team looks good on paper.  A successful season depends on how the new guys are coached up, and if we can see significant improvement on the OL.

If we are able to run the ball when we want to you are looking at a 9 win season.  If we still struggle to get push it will be another 6-8 win season. 

Defense is still a question in regards to the new scheme.  The talent is there.  Lets see what happens. 

LZH

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 06, 2017, 06:49:55 am
So who is this miraculous coach we are going to hire?

Just saying "hire a new coach" isn't a solution. We needed a new coach after JLS and we hired one. Simply saying "hire a new coach" is taking the easy route. Who would it be and can we get them?

Well it godamn sure isn't BB.  Maybe Long needs to go, too.  I'm no expert, but I do know 10-3 from 7-6.  When BP was here we all were "Arkansas can win with the big boys" - when BB got here, it turned into "we can't compete with the blah, blah, blah".

You used to be on my side, buddy.  I'll throw this at ya....you ever been in a fistfight?  Did you play fair or did you try to kill the [CENSORED]?  We're in the SEC....not the AIC.

Next1_04

Quote from: LZH on April 06, 2017, 10:30:03 am
Well it godamn sure isn't BB.  Maybe Long needs to go, too.  I'm no expert, but I do know 10-3 from 7-6.  When BP was here we all were "Arkansas can win with the big boys" - when BB got here, it turned into "we can't compete with the blah, blah, blah".

You used to be on my side, buddy.  I'll throw this at ya....you ever been in a fistfight?  Did you play fair or did you try to kill the [CENSORED]?  We're in the SEC....not the AIC.

Bless your heart. If you like BP so much, just switch over to Louisville. It's not hard.

LZH

Quote from: Next1_04 on April 06, 2017, 10:44:01 am
Bless your heart. If you like BP so much, just switch over to Louisville. It's not hard.

Give me a [CENSORED] break....BP had it made here and totally ruined it.  He's not the only badass out there.  Pick a fight with someone you have an actual chance with.....lightweight.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: LZH on April 06, 2017, 10:30:03 am

I am for competing. I am also for giving a coach a chance. Take basketball - after the OSU and Mizzou losses my opinion of MA was Dance or be gone. This was his sixth year and he had enough time to make changes. We went to the Dance. I backed off and gave him credit.

I am looking for improvement this year. If the defense sucks it up like the last two years then I will begin to complain. I think the offense is in good shape.

CBB has his players and a good coaching staff. If he cannot improve this year, then I will say he isn't the guy.

LZH

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 06, 2017, 10:49:59 am
I am for competing. I am also for giving a coach a chance. Take basketball - after the OSU and Mizzou losses my opinion of MA was Dance or be gone. This was his sixth year and he had enough time to make changes. We went to the Dance. I backed off and gave him credit.

I am looking for improvement this year. If the defense sucks it up like the last two years then I will begin to complain. I think the offense is in good shape.

CBB has his players and a good coaching staff. If he cannot improve this year, then I will say he isn't the guy.

And I'll be damn....we're friends again............................................

ChitownHawg

Quote from: LZH on April 06, 2017, 10:51:44 am
And I'll be damn....we're friends again............................................

;D

Your complaining is easy for me to accept as you do give credit when it is warranted. Many of the other complainers just move onto a new complaint when the old one is corrected.

LZH

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 06, 2017, 10:54:02 am
;D

Your complaining is easy for me to accept as you do give credit when it is warranted. Many of the other complainers just move onto a new complaint when the old one is corrected.

It just makes me feel good to bitch about all kinds of stuff.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: LZH on April 06, 2017, 10:55:53 am
It just makes me feel good to bitch about all kinds of stuff.

My wife is out of town, so my house is currently full of zen.  :D

LZH

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 06, 2017, 10:57:13 am
My wife is out of town, so my house is currently full of zen.  :D

Well I have some shark, wine, and reefer.......I'll email you my address.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Next1_04 on April 06, 2017, 10:44:01 am

That makes zero sense.

Pork Twain

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 06, 2017, 10:54:02 am
;D

Some of the biggest trolls on here are some of the best posters on here and also some of the easiest to see through.

;)
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Pork Twain

Quote from: LZH on April 06, 2017, 11:00:56 am
Well I have some shark, wine, and reefer.......I'll email you my address.
Are you guys about to consummate this friendship?

hogcard1964

311Hog

Quote from: ChitownHawg on April 06, 2017, 10:49:59 am

I feel the same way as this post.  The only thing that would deter me from this idea is a rash of injuries to key personnel.  Lets hope that doesn't happen, but that could change my mind a bit.

riccoar

Quote from: Pork Twain on April 06, 2017, 12:06:45 pm
Are you guys about to consummate this friendship?
Like LZH, I'm no expert, but this sure hints at a minimum of some unwanted touching

pigture perfect

My default argument is that our defense couldn't be any worse. If our offense can stay on the field a little longer, i expect better. Are we going to win more games this year than last? I don't know. My expectation for this year is to be about the same.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

elksnort

Interesting posts. Factcheckers' fascination with feces is somewhat disturbing though.

I have been saying it and I will keep saying it. CBB's system relies on running the ball successfully late in the games to ice the win (if ahead). So, how well is the offensive line and the blocking backs going to do?

To me, the answer to this question is the answer to how well the season will go.

Okay, I will say that the record will be better and that we will put games away more efficiently and thoroughly.

LZH

LZH

Quote from: riccoar on April 06, 2017, 12:30:38 pm
Like LZH, I'm no expert, but this sure hints at a minimum of some unwanted touching

Hey! You to sweet talk me first!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: 311Hog on April 06, 2017, 12:21:47 pm
I feel the same way as this post.  The only thing that would deter me from this idea is a rash of injuries to key personnel.  Lets hope that doesn't happen, but that could change my mind a bit.

Good point -  a rash of injuries at key positions would alter my view as well. We are building depth, but we are not Bama with a 4 star on the 2nd and 3rd strings.