Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Honest Opinion, do you think Arkansas looks better this year than last year?

Started by Ben, April 05, 2017, 12:05:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

every fanbase always says their team is going to be better next season. But honestly, how much better do you think we will be compared to last year?
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

Hawgndaaz

hogcard1964

Close to the same.  Thankfully our schedule is a bit softer than last season's.

Corkscrew Johnson

An experienced senior QB and an offensive line with more depth, talent, and experience...both of those advantages dwarf losses at receiver and tight end.

Defense....I mean it can't get any worse than 2016. 

riccoar

HogHomer

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 05, 2017, 12:17:21 pm
Close to the same.  Thankfully our schedule is a bit softer than last season's.
Other than the 10 straight weeks of games?

010HogFan

How is our schedule better this year? All of those awesome home games we had last year are away now. Looks worse to me.

rhames

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on April 05, 2017, 12:22:26 pm
An experienced senior QB and an offensive line with more depth, talent, and experience...both of those advantages dwarf losses at receiver and tight end.

We said that at the end of 2015 lol

I think it will be better though.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

hogcard1964

Quote from: HogHomer on April 05, 2017, 12:39:33 pm
Other than the 10 straight weeks of games?

Yes

We should start the season at worse at 3-2, probably 4-1.  We also end the season at what should be 4-1.  At Ole Miss, back at home against Coastal Carolina, at LSU, at home Miss St and home against Missouri.  That's at least 4 automatic wins.  That's a lock of 7 wins.

PorkSoda

Quote from: 010HogFan on April 05, 2017, 12:47:21 pm
How is our schedule better this year? All of those awesome home games we had last year are away now. Looks worse to me.
and the away games are home this year, what's your point?

bama and LSU are losses anyway, so they might as well use up a road game.

while our home games are all winnable.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hogcard1964

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 05, 2017, 01:03:40 pm

+1000

Strangely, I'm starting to agree with you more often then not.

311Hog

yes better.  I think Austin and our run game will be alot better this year.  And the Defense has no way to go but up.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Not sure we will be.
Depleted WR corps, OL with questions still, and a strip of rotten gauze posing as a defense last year are issues.
Will these issues be addressed and transformed into solid or even strong points?
Not every one will more than likely.

Here's to keeping my fingers crossed.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

PorkSoda

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 05, 2017, 01:05:00 pm
+1000

Strangely, I'm starting to agree with you more often then not.
I'd be careful about admitting that.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Next1_04

gchamblee

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 05, 2017, 12:56:46 pm
Yes

We should start the season at worse at 3-2, probably 4-1.  We also end the season at what should be 4-1.  At Ole Miss, back at home against Coastal Carolina, at LSU, at home Miss St and home against Missouri.  That's at least 4 automatic wins.  That's a lock of 7 wins.

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 28, 2017, 11:28:52 am
No, we have at least 6 automatic wins on the schedule.

Make up your mind about these guaranteed wins.

texashog33

You'd hope that'd we would be better in 2017 considering we have a good number of players returning in key positions. Me personally, i think our season success hinges on the A&M game (haven't beat them or had a good season since 2011). I think if we can hop over that mental roadblock, we'll be alright.

010HogFan

LSU is never an automatic loss. Not sure where you got that from.

311Hog

Quote from: 010HogFan on April 05, 2017, 02:00:29 pm
LSU is never an automatic loss. Not sure where you got that from.

he gets it because almost no one ever predicts we win the LSU game.  Even though we do from time to time and alot in recent years, but still doesn't stop fans and pundits alike from predicting that as a loss especially considering it is a road game.

010HogFan

I took a second look at the schedule and it isn't as bad as I thought. I thought we played one of our road games in the Swamp since we played UF here last year. @ South Carolina is an easier game than @ Florida. It actually isn't a bad schedule now that I look at it again.

hogcard1964

Quote from: 010HogFan on April 05, 2017, 02:06:41 pm
I took a second look at the schedule and it isn't as bad as I thought. I thought we played one of our road games in the Swamp since we played UF here last year. @ South Carolina is an easier game than @ Florida. It actually isn't a bad schedule now that I look at it again.

It's pretty favorable for once.

Al Boarland

LSU is a loss, but Auburn is winnable after they upgraded at QB and skull dragged us last season? I hope you're right.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Al Boarland on April 05, 2017, 02:18:59 pm

LSU is a loss, but Auburn is winnable after they upgraded at QB and skull dragged us last season? I hope you're right.
auburn last year was an anomaly.  they are certainly more beatable than bama.  LSU is always a wild card.  it doesn't matter if one team is about to play for a championship and the other is having a down year, anything can happen.

hogfan870

I don't see how we can be any worse on defense, so I am going to say that we will be at least slightly better. 

Hog Fan...DOH!

I expect the return of a more consistent team.  More like 2015 than 2016- with no offensive implosions. 

How does that translate into wins?  Who knows?

lumphog

Much BETTER.....all you have to do to know that is read Hogville & go the other way....BOOK IT DANO!!!!

Mike_e

Better.

First of all we have an O Line coach who is in his second year.  No more bad feelings about the last coach in that position and the techniques will be sinking in.  More time to gel and generally get comfortable with the world.

Better running from the RB position due to more time in the system if for no other reason and better blitz pickups to boot.

The receiver corps will be just fine (should be anyway).  We have a coach who can coach them and a 5th year senior to get them the ball so all they have to do is catch the durned thing. 

TEs should be as good also.  Yes we lost a really good senior but due to the line play needing extra attention from this position group their being more able to do what they do will help a lot.

The defense is still up in the air but the one thing that you know for sure if you've played on any level is that the biggest part is Really wanting to and I think that coach Rhodes will be feeding the whole D enough gunpowder that they'll go off on everybody that gets across from them.

No matter what the spring looks like the fall should be a lot of fun.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

PorkSoda

Quote from: Mike_e on April 05, 2017, 03:15:32 pm
Better.

No matter what the spring looks like the fall should be a lot of fun.

I agree, too much good momentum this year to go backwards.

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on April 05, 2017, 12:22:26 pm

Ditto
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: gchamblee on April 05, 2017, 01:46:54 pm
Make up your mind about these guaranteed wins.

Well, the right side of his mouth said 4 automatics and the left side said 6.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Ben on April 05, 2017, 12:05:10 pm
every fanbase always says their team is going to be better next season. But honestly, how much better do you think we will be compared to last year?
Won't REALLY know until the Texas A&M game. Maybe the TCU game :-\.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Sed76

Honestly, just don't know. Way too many questions that need to be answered before saying one way or the other. I didn't think that 2015 defense could get much worse but then 2016 came along. Will the offensive line be any better? Will the defense actually be able to stop someone on a consistent basis? Will CBB make halftime adjustments or will we continue to see second half letdowns? I'm sure come August the Razorback Nation guys will be pumping this team up to be world beaters but not gonna fall for the hype this year. Hope for the best and expect the worst aka life as a Razorback fan.

Hollywood870

Al Boarland

Every fan thinks their team will be better and come up with ways to justify their belief. For example, "Defense can't be any worse". Well, yeah it can actually be worse the same or better. All realistic possibilities. I find that if I pedict a record based on talent as compared to the teams played then I'm usually within a game of being right. That said, I see 7/8 wins for the Hogs. Who knows on the bowl game.

Al Boarland

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 05, 2017, 02:22:05 pm
auburn last year was an anomaly.  they are certainly more beatable than bama.  LSU is always a wild card.  it doesn't matter if one team is about to play for a championship and the other is having a down year, anything can happen.

I would say Auburn and LSU are both wild cards due to the fact we will not be favored. At best you have to categorize them as a toss up. Have you checked the FPI for this season yet?

PorkSoda

Quote from: Al Boarland on April 05, 2017, 03:55:41 pm
I would say Auburn be LSU both wild cards due to the fact we will not be favored. At best you have to categorize them as a toss up. Have you checked the FPI for this season yet?
yeah, I'd be okay splitting those games 1-1.  like you said, both are unpredictable.  Heck hogs have been pretty unpredictable as well.

seems a tad early for the FPI to be anything better than pure speculation, but here it is

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings

both auburn and LSU are top ten on the list, but I tend to think both are over rated.  sometimes they play like top 10 teams, other times they don't.

NashvilleHog

We blew a lead against TCU and got away with a miraculous win.  We gave up 28 points in the 2nd half to Mississippi State and if not for an onside kick that they recovered an inch too soon, we were leaking oil severely in the 2nd half. 

We blew large leads against Missouri and Va Tech and were outscored by LSU 17-3 in the second half; A&M outscored us 28-7 in the second half; Auburn outscored us 28-0 in the second half. 

Until we see a cure for our second-half woes, I can't buy-in to us being better this year. 
On gameday at Neyland Stadium you can count the number of people with full sets of teeth on one hand.

Al Boarland

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 05, 2017, 03:58:28 pm
yeah, I'd be okay splitting those games 1-1.  like you said, both are unpredictable.  Heck hogs have been pretty unpredictable as well.

seems a tad early for the FPI to be anything better than pure speculation, but here it is

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings

both auburn and LSU are top ten on the list, but I tend to think both are over rated.  sometimes they play like top 10 teams, other times they don't.

That's true. They could be overrated. However, they could be overrated and still better than we are.

PorkSoda

Quote from: NashvilleHog on April 05, 2017, 04:01:13 pm
We blew a lead against TCU and got away with a miraculous win.  We gave up 28 points in the 2nd half to Mississippi State and if not for an onside kick that they recovered an inch too soon, we were leaking oil severely in the 2nd half. 

We blew large leads against Missouri and Va Tech and were outscored by LSU 17-3 in the second half; A&M outscored us 28-7 in the second half; Auburn outscored us 28-0 in the second half. 

Until we see a cure for our second-half woes, I can't buy-in to us being better this year. 
well we wont see anything until the fall, so all we can do is wait and see.

I would hope that they developed a little mental toughness after how last year went, and that should help turn things around for the team.  most rational posters predicted an up and down year because of the inexperience in many of the key players.  that shouldn't be as much a problem this year.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Al Boarland on April 05, 2017, 04:05:11 pm
That's true. They could be overrated. However, they could be overrated and still better than we are.
no doubt, but we tend to play better as the underdogs.

jkstock04

Would be next to impossible for the defense not to look better.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hobhog

Better everywhere but Dline and that didn't work out too well last year, so definitely yes.

Add a 5th year QB to any team and things are positive. With the schedule we have I truly think this could be an "uncommon" year.

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Al Boarland

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 05, 2017, 04:06:44 pm
no doubt, but we tend to play better as the underdogs.

We are underdogs most of the time in SEC match ups.  It's probably a comfortable position. 

Biggus Piggus

Offense better in numerous ways.

Defense - can't go anywhere but up.
[CENSORED]!

hawginbigd1

QB, RB, and OL I expect a huge jump, TE will be better because OL is better. WR is the wait and see position, but I like our chances based on the perceived talent level.

Defense will be coached better IMO
Scheme fits better.
Positions have been upgraded in the front 7 IMO.
Best CB returns with lots of experience to man other spots, plus an infusion of talent
Safety is the question mark, can the returners improve to play at SEC caliber and/or can the newbies provide an upgrade. I am going to be cautiously optimistic.

I expect a couple wins better at least, competitive in every game, so yeah much better.

Al Boarland

Quote from: hobhog on April 05, 2017, 04:22:37 pm
Better everywhere but Dline and that didn't work out too well last year, so definitely yes.

Add a 5th year QB to any team and things are positive. With the schedule we have I truly think this could be an "uncommon" year.

This schedule is not at all easy and actually is just as hard or harder than last season.  You are going to have to find other points to argue having an "uncommon" year. 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Yes.. More experience on the OL. 2nd year at QB. The QB can make the WR's just as much as vice versa. I believe we have more overall talent at WR AND TE. I really believe these new starters will be better blockers than last year. New, BUT simpler defense that is going to allow these guys to play faster. I am excited..!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.