Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ole Miss getting sad.

Started by rhog1, April 08, 2017, 12:59:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TNhawgfan

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on April 09, 2017, 02:00:13 pm
Well we get Missouri as a permanent opponent. So really it's not that different except we play them at the end of the season.
And we have a losing record against them
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

The Hawg Marshal

Burn it. Burn it to the ground.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: nationwish on April 09, 2017, 01:00:25 pm
I actually think it benefits Alabama, LSU, and Auburn to have higher prestige permanent opponents. There is a higher probability of a loss in those games, but I think the increased exposure those games brings offsets that. Most years you won't hear much about a game with any SEC West team and Vanderbilt or Kentucky, and probably not Missouri if they don't become a contender in the East again.

That's dumb. Increased exposure is not needed for the teams he mentioned. It's the SEC. The higher prestige opponents can make a loss in the game easier. Bphi11ips is right.   
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: TNhawgfan on April 09, 2017, 06:00:14 pm
And we have a losing record against them

Yep, but they have been as bad if not worse than Vanderbilt and Kentucky the last two years. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 08, 2017, 01:35:01 pm
How about Sophomoric?

I understand why he is doing it, you have to find some way to motivate your players when there is so much that is negative surrounding the program. It's the "us against them" mentality that he is attempting to project.

Looks like it must be working.  Since the announcement of the bowl situation, nobody has asked for a transfer.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NoogaHog

wonder if Bazzell can cook up a trophy for the Houston Nutt Bowl?

I picture a life size gold Hootie chewing his nails. Anyone wanna make a mock up?
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

NoogaHog

Or should we call it the "People Heppin' Bowl" (TM)
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

nationwish

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 09, 2017, 07:14:35 pm
That's dumb. Increased exposure is not needed for the teams he mentioned. It's the SEC. The higher prestige opponents can make a loss in the game easier. Bphi11ips is right.

And the fact that those teams are permanently locked in to play each other only cements them as higher profile programs, while playing the bottom teams of the other division makes it harder to get much exposure. You're right, it's the SEC. Even the lower level teams have enough talent to beat anyone else on any given Saturday, so why would you rather be stuck with someone like Missouri or Vanderbilt when you can take a shot at Tennessee, Georgia, or Florida? It's a "rich-get-richer" model that provides a net benefit to the old-guard SEC. There's no way you can say this scheduling model has done anything to help Arkansas.

GuvHog

Quote from: rhames on April 08, 2017, 09:31:43 pm

What does that have to do with their 2017 team?

I can enjoy a good laugh at Ole Miss thread, but it shouldn't be written down as a win just yet for 2017.

Yes, it should be written down as a win. The Ole Miss football program is in shambles so if the Hogs lose that game, there are serious problems with the Hog football program.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: nationwish on April 10, 2017, 11:48:21 am
And the fact that those teams are permanently locked in to play each other only cements them as higher profile programs, while playing the bottom teams of the other division makes it harder to get much exposure. You're right, it's the SEC. Even the lower level teams have enough talent to beat anyone else on any given Saturday, so why would you rather be stuck with someone like Missouri or Vanderbilt when you can take a shot at Tennessee, Georgia, or Florida? It's a "rich-get-richer" model that provides a net benefit to the old-guard SEC. There's no way you can say this scheduling model has done anything to help Arkansas.

Even though it's the SEC there are still some teams that are historically easier to beat than others. If playing one of those gives a team a better chance of getting a division championship then I'm for it. Get to the SEC championship game, win it and then no matter who your permanent cross division opponent is you will have a good shot at the best bowls and the playoff.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on April 10, 2017, 12:05:03 pm
Yes, it should be written down as a win. The Ole Miss football program is in shambles so if the Hogs lose that game, there are serious problems with the Hog football program.

There are no conference games that should be marked down as a win. We aren't there yet.

All things considered, as it appears now, the hogs should win this game.  It isn't guaranteed though.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Paul

Quote from: bjeffersonhog on April 08, 2017, 06:19:29 pm
Does this mean they will get "bowl gifts" before every game?
That's the whole purpose of this:  paid utility bills, gas masks...

onebadrubi

Quote from: rhames on April 10, 2017, 12:23:24 pm

There are no conference games that should be marked down as a win. We aren't there yet.

All things considered, as it appears now, the hogs should win this game.  It isn't guaranteed though.

Holy smokes, that avatar!!! 8)

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: GuvHog on April 10, 2017, 12:05:03 pm

Sorry, but continuing to lose to teams we should beat makes us never be able to mark any team down as a win in the sec. 

GuvHog

Like I said, if the Hogs lose that game there are serious problems with the Hog football program.

2 years ago Ole Miss was LOADED and the Hogs won in overtime

Last year Ole Miss lost a few good players but returned a good nucleus of other players and the Hogs won going away.

This year the Rebels return only 11 starters, will be starting a new QB, and their recruiting has seriously tanked.

I rest my case.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ricepig

Outside of Bama, I'm not sure there is a team in the conference that can write down a game as a win, prohibitive favorite, yes.

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on April 10, 2017, 02:22:05 pm
Like I said, if the Hogs lose that game there are serious problems with the Hog football program.

Last year Ole Miss lost a few good players but returned a good nucleus of other players and the Hogs won going away.

This year the Rebels return only 11 starters, will be starting a new QB, and their recruiting has seriously tanked.

I rest my case.

Why do people keep saying their recruiting has taken a hit as a reason we will win. We won't see the effects of that until 2 to 3 years from now

What has happened in the last few years means squat when we play the rebs in 2017.

Let's see how our defense plays  before we start counting for sure wins.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: ricepig on April 10, 2017, 02:23:47 pm
Outside of Bama, I'm not sure there is a team in the conference that can write down a game as a win, prohibitive favorite, yes.

So far Texas A&M has been able to on us since joining the SEC. but I agree Alabama is really the only team that can pretty much say some games in the sec are gimmie wins.

RT1941

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 08, 2017, 06:16:29 pm
No, that program is in total shambles and it won't improve until there's a coaching change, and the new coach has 2-3 years to rebuild.  They shouldn't come close to being competitive with us over the next half decade or so.
Hell, they haven't even been hit with sanctions yet.  Conservatively speaking, it they lose 21 scholly's over the next 3 yrs, it will be like the death penalty.  Because not only will they lose those scholly's, they will be drawing a bunch of 2*'s with the occasional 3* guy and they will have zero depth for 4-5 yrs AFTER the sanctions are over.  No top shelf talent in the country will want to sign on for that dumpster fire of a program.
RazorTusk!!!!

RedRock

razorpimp

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 09, 2017, 10:38:47 am
Off topic, but Ole Miss and Mississippi State start every year with a half game advantage over the rest of the West with Vanderbilt and Kentucky as permanent opponents.

Well we get Missou each year...ouch

go hogues

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on April 09, 2017, 08:48:22 pm
Yep, but they have been as bad if not worse than Vanderbilt and Kentucky the last two years. 
We have a losing record vs. UK as well.  :'(
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

hogcard1964

Quote from: go hogues on April 11, 2017, 08:42:44 am

I don't but that.  Does anyone in the SEC, with the exception of maybe Vanderbilt have a losing record vs. Kentucky?

go hogues

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 11, 2017, 09:08:20 am
I don't but that.  Does anyone in the SEC, with the exception of maybe Vanderbilt have a losing record vs. Kentucky?
Going back to 1998, we are 3-4 vs. the mighty 'Cats...

Source: 2016 Football Media Guide
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

woodhog14

I rest my case.

Won going away? 34-30 is a win going away? We had to stop them on 4th down on a drive that if they scored a TD, they would have beaten us. Going away? WTH man?

Starting a new QB? Patterson started the last several games and played very well. He is a very good QB.

hogcard1964

Quote from: go hogues on April 11, 2017, 12:40:38 pm
Going back to 1998, we are 3-4 vs. the mighty 'Cats...

Source: 2016 Football Media Guide

That can't be a lifetime record?

ricepig

Quote from: woodhog14 on April 11, 2017, 01:36:17 pm
Won going away? 34-30 is a win going away? We had to stop them on 4th down on a drive that if they scored a TD, they would have beaten us. Going away? WTH man?

Starting a new QB? Patterson started the last several games and played very well. He is a very good QB.

Shoot yeah, the year before it took OT, winning in regulation was "going away". As to Patterson, he was hot and cold, as expected for a freshman. As long as Hugh is there, it's a game we should win.

go hogues

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 11, 2017, 02:15:12 pm
Hate to burst your bubble but it's true. First meeting in 1998, last meeting in 2012. All pulled directly from the 2016 media guide.

Jborohog09

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 11, 2017, 02:15:12 pm

Blame Nutt for three of those losses and a fourth quarter meltdown Petrino's first season for the other.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: go hogues on April 11, 2017, 08:42:44 am

Well since joining the sec we have been a mediocre program with small glimpse of above. I don't know why we get all up in arms really about our performance on the field.  It's average and that is what Arkansas has been for more than a couple of decades now.

Inhogswetrust

I rest my case.

Their recruiting only tanked THIS year. Those guys would be freshmen this fall. Not many freshmen make an immediate impact in the SEC.

Iwastherein1969

I feel sorry for no one....did you know that we were on the verge of tying the SEC series with Alabama until Nutt lost the first game Saban coached in the SEC v the Hogs...the series had gotten that close...now we are 10 behind again because we can't sniff Saban's bo-hiney...time to let all of these voo-doo dolls to hit the road...we need to go down to Tuscaloosa and just whip the Tide like a red-headed step child...or since Tom Laughlin recently died, whip the Tide like Billy Jack beat down some N Cali rednecks         

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh-JoW_8qw0
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

PonderinHog

Iwastherein1969

April 11, 2017, 11:48:13 pm #84 Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 12:00:34 am by Iwastherein1969
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 11, 2017, 11:12:50 pm
All we are saying is give Freeze a chance...

https://youtu.be/sUQFMIzic28
nice response, clever too, Ponderin....Freeze is going to need some divine intervention because the NCAA will really want to make an example out of those folks who tote the 'stars n bars'....Freeze and the Rebel Black Bears, prepare to meet thy doom
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on April 10, 2017, 10:29:46 am

Looks like it must be working.  Since the announcement of the bowl situation, nobody has asked for a transfer.

No surprise.  Probably like a regular job... when the pay & bonus are just too good to leave.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

GoHogs1091

Ole Miss really hasn't been relevant since Archie Manning was their QB.

UCA played Ole Miss in 2012, and UCA's Offensive Line with 3 new starters in 2012 pushed around Ole Miss.

Archie Manning and William Faulkner is really the only history that Ole Miss has.

Still perplexing that William Faulkner won a Nobel Prize and a Pulitzer Prize even though he wrote grammatically incorrect run-on sentences (run-on sentences that were a paragraph in length).

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on April 12, 2017, 12:01:34 am
Ole Miss really hasn't been relevant since Archie Manning was their QB.

UCA played Ole Miss in 2012, and UCA's Offensive Line with 3 new starters in 2012 pushed around Ole Miss.

Archie Manning and William Faulkner is really the only history that Ole Miss has.

Still perplexing that William Faulkner won a Nobel Prize and a Pulitzer Prize even though he wrote grammatically incorrect run-on sentences (run-on sentences that were a paragraph in length).

The only history? Not even close. You missed the most important historical person ever there and the one I think they are know for the most. He has a statue right in the middle of campus and I believe still works there.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 09, 2017, 07:14:35 pm
Amen...  Strong cross division or OOC schedule does not matter in the SEC.  You win all of your games and the rest takes care of its self
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/