Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UPDATE: Lawson Brothers Transferring to Kansas.

Started by The_Iceman, April 05, 2017, 11:45:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

April 05, 2017, 11:45:02 am Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 01:53:35 pm by The_Iceman

https://twitter.com/Local24Jessica/status/849658677627949056

Any chance we get them? Would add to our already great 2018 class. Not a huge position of need tho.

The_Iceman

Hawg Red

navyhog24

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 05, 2017, 11:45:51 am
https://twitter.com/_ARHoops/status/849663941450117121

Mike has too much class to kick someone off just to make room for them. I know we have an open scholly, but he would have to "urge" someone to transfer or just kick them off. He has too much class for that IMO

yraciv

Wonder if Dad parlays this into another assistant job. 

You've got two more brothers coming up Chandler (2019) and the youngest Jonathan (2021), who could be the best of the bunch.  We may or may not get the Lawson's, but I definitely think the floodgates could open in Memphis where there are a handful of 4 star prospects next year.

yraciv

Quote from: navyhog24 on April 05, 2017, 11:59:45 am
Mike has too much class to kick someone off just to make room for them. I know we have an open scholly, but he would have to "urge" someone to transfer or just kick them off. He has too much class for that IMO

I'm not sure if Mike would do this or not, pull someone's scholarship, but I'm confident he has a post season discussion with his players on where they stand and their role with the team.  Who is to say whether Hazen or a Cook may be buried in Mike's mind, he tells them, and one decides it's in his best interest to leave. Opens up 2 scholarships and you bring in the Lawson's.

Athletic scholarships aren't a 4 year commitment from the university. They have to be awarded annually.  Some would hope a coach isn't forcing anyone out by not renewing their scholarship, but sometimes you have no choice in D1 Athletics. Mike's job is to get wins and not make players/parents happy. Sometimes you have to make those tough calls, and some coaches do it more than others.

King Kong

They have a great relationship with Todd Day right.

The_Iceman

Quote from: navyhog24 on April 05, 2017, 11:59:45 am

He would have no problem convincing someone like Hazen it is in his best interest to transfer.

scorekeeper

Looking at their numbers seems like they are capable rebounders. Wouldn't they have to sit out for the 2017-2018 season?
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

navyhog24

Quote from: scorekeeper on April 05, 2017, 12:40:09 pm
Looking at their numbers seems like they are capable rebounders. Wouldn't they have to sit out for the 2017-2018 season?

Yeah they will no matter what team they transfer to. I'm hoping Tubbs and Anderson have a good relationship/respect that Tubbs would allow or almost urge them to come here. Only time will tell with where they are considering going.

The_Iceman

KJ looks like a small forward and Dedric a power forward. Both are capable passers, decent but not great shooters. How would they fit in with Gafford, Perry, and Henderson?

247Hog

Wouldn't that be something to get two guys from Memphis and Todd Day join the staff.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

navyhog24

Quote from: 247Hog on April 05, 2017, 12:55:53 pm
Wouldn't that be something to get two guys from Memphis and Todd Day join the staff.

A great addition to the staff. The big we need and good 3. It would allow coach more flexibility with those last two spots in the 18 class to focus on guards like a TJ Moss or Emberey.

HogCzar1

This may get interesting..... I bet Memphis radio will be in total meltdown this afternoon!

The_Bionic_Pig

April 05, 2017, 01:09:39 pm #14 Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 01:42:57 pm by The_Bionic_Pig
Quote from: navyhog24 on April 05, 2017, 12:43:59 pm
Yeah they will no matter what team they transfer to. I'm hoping Tubbs and Anderson have a good relationship/respect that Tubbs would allow or almost urge them to come here. Only time will tell with where they are considering going.

They are really close friends but if Arkansas show's no interest that may be a sign that their were ulterior motives.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Paul

we'd have to give their dad a job & deal with a lot of drama

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: King Kong on April 05, 2017, 12:27:45 pm
They have a great relationship with Todd Day right.

Sure do. Todd Day was their HS Head Coach and Asst. Coach for Team Penny.

They know Todd very well

jry04

Tough question, but if it meant letting Macon jump off the fence and go overseas to make room for these two would you want that? Adding these two with our 2017/2018 classes would make us a top 15 team and potential title contender with an unreal amount of length. I would sacrifice our potential 7-10 seed we probably get next year with a 2nd round loss to increase our chances at a Final Four run in 2018. I love Macon, but realistically the best we can hope for next year is probably a fringe top 25 season and no better hopes at a Final Four than we had this year.

The_Iceman

Why do I have this feeling they will end up at Mizzou.

311Hog

macon our only legit outside threat i wouldn't give him up for anything.

The_Iceman

Quote from: jry04 on April 05, 2017, 01:19:17 pm
Tough question, but if it meant letting Macon jump off the fence and go overseas to make room for these two would you want that? Adding these two with our 2017/2018 classes would make us a top 15 team and potential title contender with an unreal amount of length. I would sacrifice our potential 7-10 seed we probably get next year with a 2nd round loss to increase our chances at a Final Four run in 2018. I love Macon, but realistically the best we can hope for next year is probably a fringe top 25 season and no better hopes at a Final Four than we had this year.

What? No...you just ask Hazen to transfer.

hogsanity

Quote from: jry04 on April 05, 2017, 01:19:17 pm

No, because MAcon can contribute, next season, these 2 can not.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jry04

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 05, 2017, 01:20:47 pm
What? No...you just ask Hazen to transfer.
I am saying without asking any current scholarship player who wants to return to transfer, would you as a fan be willing to let Macon walk. Obviously the easy way out is asking Hazen, CJ, or Cook to leave. Not sure that actually happens, though. Me personally, if we were guaranteed getting these two and our only option to get another scholarship ethically is to let Macon leave then I take it. I would rather have a NIT team next year and a 2-3 seed title contender in 2 years rather than 2 teams in a row who are probably in the 6-10 seed range. I don't want Macon to leave. I think him and Barford have a chance to be one of the better back courts in the country. However, the chances of playing for a championship in 2018 would be a real thing with the addition of these two.

Quote from: hogsanity on April 05, 2017, 01:20:52 pm
No, because MAcon can contribute, next season, these 2 can not.
That is why I said 2018 for these two. I know Macon can contribute next year, but the 2018 team with these two and what we are bringing in would have a legit shot at a Final Four. Next year's team with all we return will make the NCAAT but Sweet 16 is probably the ceiling.

scorekeeper

Is it possible that two guys could be moved along in hopes of getting a grad transfer preferably a big along with signing the Lawson brothers?

Someone to help right now and then the Lawson brothers for later.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

hogsanity

Quote from: jry04 on April 05, 2017, 01:27:54 pm
I am saying without asking any current scholarship player who wants to return to transfer, would you as a fan be willing to let Macon walk. Obviously the easy way out is asking Hazen, CJ, or Cook to leave. Not sure that actually happens, though. Me personally, if we were guaranteed getting these two and our only option to get another scholarship ethically is to let Macon leave then I take it. I would rather have a NIT team next year and a 2-3 seed title contender in 2 years rather than 2 teams in a row who are probably in the 6-10 seed range. I don't want Macon to leave. I think him and Barford have a chance to be one of the better back courts in the country. However, the chances of playing for a championship in 2018 would be a real thing with the addition of these two.

That is why I said 2018 for these two. I know Macon can contribute next year, but the 2018 team with these two and what we are bringing in would have a legit shot at a Final Four. Next year's team with all we return will make the NCAAT but Sweet 16 is probably the ceiling.

I do not think they make the NCAAT next year without Macon.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jry04

Quote from: hogsanity on April 05, 2017, 01:29:20 pm
I do not think they make the NCAAT next year without Macon.
That is why I said NIT team next year with a 2-3 seed in 2018...

Again, my scenario is as follows:

With Macon and no Lawson bros 2017 NCAAT 6-10 Seed, 2018 NCAAT 6-10 seed.

Without Macon, but with the Lawson's 2017 NIT, 2018 NCAAT 2-3 seed top 15 team.

That is my opinion only. I want Macon to return, this is just a hypothetical situation. Do you want two decent teams with a chance to make a "Cinderella run," or do you want 1 NIT team and 1 great team with a real chance as a Final Four favorite in the next two years?

navyhog24

Quote from: scorekeeper on April 05, 2017, 01:28:36 pm
Is it possible that two guys could be moved along in hopes of getting a grad transfer preferably a big along with signing the Lawson brothers?

Someone to help right now and then the Lawson brothers for later.

No I think a transfer takes up a scholly even if they aren't technically eligible to play that first year.

The_Iceman

Quote from: jry04 on April 05, 2017, 01:32:27 pm

That is my opinion only. I want Macon to return, this is just a hypothetical situation. Do you want two decent teams with a chance to make a "Cinderella run," or do you want 1 NIT team and 1 great team with a real chance as a Final Four favorite in the next two years?

I think you are underselling our team these next two years, especially 2018.

hogsanity

Great, we can go from making the NCAAt, back to the NIT, no thanks.

jry04

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 05, 2017, 01:39:19 pm
I think you are underselling our team these next two years, especially 2018.
I understand why you would say that in 2018. Next year? I mean we aren't listed on any of the top 25 +10 others considered or so pre-season rankings as of now that have been put out by ESPN, CBS, YAhoo, SI, etc. We got an 8 seed this year and lose 40% of our scoring. We are projected an 11 seed by Lunardi in his early projection. The top 5 or 6 teams in the SEC around us are returning as much or more and have as good or better recruiting classes for 2017. Saying we will be in the 6-10 seed range next year is pretty fair in my opinion. I think 2018 could be special, but I think youth may hold us back the first year with 2019 being the breakout year. It probably isn't a popular opinion, but I would sacrifice 2017 if it meant we have a real shot at the national title in the 2018 season. As it stands, I think we have 2 solid NCAAT teams but no real shot at a Final Four until 2019.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on April 05, 2017, 01:40:29 pm
Great, we can go from making the NCAAt, back to the NIT, no thanks.

Yeah, I don't care what seed we are, just make the tournament and things can happen. Just see how Cuonzo Martin lucked out at Tennessee.

poloprince

You didn't think they would make it this past season did you?
$PoLoPrInCe$

010HogFan

Quote from: jry04 on April 05, 2017, 01:44:20 pm
I understand why you would say that in 2018. Next year? I mean we aren't listed on any of the top 25 +10 others considered or so pre-season rankings as of now that have been put out by ESPN, CBS, YAhoo, SI, etc. We got an 8 seed this year and lose 40% of our scoring. We are projected an 11 seed by Lunardi in his early projection. The top 5 or 6 teams in the SEC around us are returning as much or more and have as good or better recruiting classes for 2017. Saying we will be in the 6-10 seed range next year is pretty fair in my opinion. I think 2018 could be special, but I think youth may hold us back the first year with 2019 being the breakout year. It probably isn't a popular opinion, but I would sacrifice 2017 if it meant we have a real shot at the national title in the 2018 season. As it stands, I think we have 2 solid NCAAT teams but no real shot at a Final Four until 2019.

If we make it to the tournament, we always have a shot to make a run because of the style we play. Just gotta catch a break or two.

navyhog24

Quote from: 010HogFan on April 05, 2017, 01:58:24 pm
If we make it to the tournament, we always have a shot to make a run because of the style we play. Just gotta catch a break or two.

Won't happen if we were to get UNC again ;)

010HogFan

jry04

April 05, 2017, 02:13:32 pm #35 Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 04:05:02 pm by jry04
Quote from: poloprince on April 05, 2017, 01:56:04 pm
You didn't think they would make it this past season did you?
Quote from: jry04 on May 10, 2016, 09:44:02 am
It is a fair question. I think we will be a pretty good team, and will make the NCAAT. However, I cannot put an accurate # on the games we win without seeing our schedule. How many non-conference road/neutral site games are we playing? How many top 25 non-conference opponents are we playing?

Quote from: jry04 on May 21, 2016, 07:08:12 pm
We didn't play a weak non-conference schedule last year, so I doubt we will this year.

Mike already said he is looking for a strong non-conference schedule this year because he feels this group can handle it. Last year we had a top 75 non-conference SOS.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I think you are going to look really silly if you think we are in for a first round NIT exit. I would be shocked if we miss the NCAAT, personally. Even if we did, there is ZERO chance we lose in the first round because it would be in Bud Walton...

Quote from: jry04 on May 10, 2016, 11:25:15 am
I will consider next year a failure if we are a 10-12 seed, but that is just my personal opinion. Getting to the NCAAT will be great, but with this roster and it being year 6, 10-12 seed is unacceptable. I think a single digit seed should be expected.

You tell me.

Outside of the week we lost to Vandy and Mizzou, I was one of the loudest in saying we will make the NCAAT. Like everyone else, I lost hope for a week, but said there was still a path I just was not sure we would be able to bounce back. Before the tournament I predicted a single digit seed. After we beat SC I said we would end up a lock when others were saying we would have to win the SECT or beat Florida. You have the wrong poster...

jry04

Quote from: 010HogFan on April 05, 2017, 01:58:24 pm
That is very true, and certainly a popular opinion. Just make the NCAAT and anything can happen from there.

pork in the whiskers

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 05, 2017, 12:35:55 pm
He would have no problem convincing someone like Hazen it is in his best interest to transfer.

And that would be big mistake! The kid has real potential, is an excellent teammate, and good off the court. It would also be the third year in a row that a freshman transfers. You keep Beard, with his attitude, inconsistent effort and past...yeah, build your program that way.

Also, unless something has changed, Mike and Todd's relationship hasn't been stellar for 20 plus years.

Letsroll1200

If someone decides to leave the program and we're able to get the Lawson brothers that would be great. However, I wouldn't ask anyone to leave to make room for the Lawson brothers.

HogCzar1

Keith Easterwood, Memphis AAU guru, and Tiger supporter, was on Memphis radio about 30 minutes ago.

He said the 2 Lawson's and the father where unhappy with Tubby and staff. He said Josh Pastner tried to take them all to Georgia Tech after Pastner left, but they were convinced to stay by Tubby.

He said the Father Lawson could be interested in an assistant job with a school, but also may go back to coaching Memphis area high school.

He said the 2 current Lawsons would not have to go to the same school. He said the family would like to be within driving distance of watching them play. He said that an SEC school is a likely landing spot to fit that bill.

Fayetteville was the first town mentioned. Among others.

20gauge

This deal would come with to much baggage even though it would probably lead to getting the third brother who I believe is actually rated higher then the other two.

The drama isn't needed here. Memphis has been dealing with it all year and they are killing Tubby over it now.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HogCzar1 on April 05, 2017, 01:04:10 pm
This may get interesting..... I bet Memphis radio will be in total meltdown this afternoon!

It has been all day. A likely candidate for transferring might be old misses. Some of these mamby pamby athletes today can't handle a tough coach and Tubby has even mellowed over the years.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

RaisinHog

If we could get one which would y'all prefer?

navyhog24

Letsroll1200

rude1

April 05, 2017, 06:25:17 pm #45 Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 06:45:10 pm by rude1
Quote from: jry04 on April 05, 2017, 01:27:54 pm

This is absolutely a terrible idea. You don't mortgage a good looking present for an uncertain future. As said a 1000 times the tourney is about match ups, who thought going into this tourney SC was a final four team? We know we have a good team coming back but we have no idea what the ceiling is for them, and we definitely don't know how the newcomers is going to mesh the year after.

Edit: We had the eventual NC team on the ropes in the tourney, if that doesn't say we need to blow up next year I guess nothing does huh?

wavybone

Having Dedric, Gafford, Perry, and Henderson.... that would be salty.

However, I think we're going to offer Michael Weathers. If we get him, I don't see how we would get either one of the Lawsons. Don't think anyone is going to be forced to transfer out.

forrest city joe

Quote from: 20gauge on April 05, 2017, 05:37:23 pm
This deal would come with to much baggage even though it would probably lead to getting the third brother who I believe is actually rated higher then the other two.

The drama isn't needed here. Memphis has been dealing with it all year and they are killing Tubby over it now.
Tubby didnot create the mess at Tiger High.Pastner left him that mess. Mike will not put up with any mess. if the Lawson's want to come on Mike's terms,so be it. but it will be on coach Anderson terms.

forrest city joe

The latest from the Memphis board.  http://csnbbs.com/thread-814621.html    Arkansas listed among 5 schools. i don't see it,but who knows.

The_Iceman