Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UPDATE: Lawson Brothers Transferring to Kansas.

Started by The_Iceman, April 05, 2017, 11:45:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

forrest city joe

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 05, 2017, 09:59:42 pm
I would bet between Ole Miss and Mizzou.
Maybe so. i just do not see Arkansas going down the Lawson road. i could be wrong.

Justagp

Quote from: HogCzar1 on April 05, 2017, 05:35:13 pm
Keith Easterwood, Memphis AAU guru, and Tiger supporter, was on Memphis radio about 30 minutes ago.

He said the 2 Lawson's and the father where unhappy with Tubby and staff. He said Josh Pastner tried to take them all to Georgia Tech after Pastner left, but they were convinced to stay by Tubby.

He said the Father Lawson could be interested in an assistant job with a school, but also may go back to coaching Memphis area high school.

He said the 2 current Lawsons would not have to go to the same school. He said the family would like to be within driving distance of watching them play. He said that an SEC school is a likely landing spot to fit that bill.

Fayetteville was the first town mentioned. Among others.
Yes, I heard this interview as well. In addition, he said the loss to Memphis is much greater than just the two Lawson brothers as he has two more sons in high school and a nephew who will be one of the top ten in the country for 2018.

247Hog

WTH...does Missouri not have a basketball team ATM?Playerss graduated? Quit? Every player that's transferring seems too have them in possible location to play.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

HardingHog

If Mr. Lawson stays in Memphis and we get just his sons then this is incredibly tempting. I don't know for sure, but I don't feel like Mike is one who would encourage someone to transfer to make space though. That family pipeline would be a heck of a group, talent-wise, to tap into however. As far as proximity to Memphis goes, there's Ole Miss, Miss. St, Vandy and Alabama also not too far away

I saw UK mentioned on that message board, but those guys aren't UK good in my opinion. However, I'm sure Cal would also like to get his claws into the younger siblings.

But, if we get them I'll be happy or if we get someone else that's been mentioned I'll be happy then too. Just want to see us continue to upgrade our roster year by year

Justagp

Quote from: HogCzar1 on April 05, 2017, 01:04:10 pm
This may get interesting..... I bet Memphis radio will be in total meltdown this afternoon!

It was indeed in meltdown mode. It apparently is a much broader loss than just the two brothers. As mentioned prior there are two more brothers, a cousin and a field of basketball talent friends who all hang together. At this time they said they want to go to the SEC. The first destination mentioned was Fayetteville, then Mississippi, Nashville and Kentucky. Who knows, but I like our chances.  :razorback:

hogfreak

Who is the cousin? Make room and take them now!!!!

Justagp

Quote from: HardingHog on April 05, 2017, 10:19:44 pm
If Mr. Lawson stays in Memphis and we get just his sons then this is incredibly tempting. I don't know for sure, but I don't feel like Mike is one who would encourage someone to transfer to make space though. That family pipeline would be a heck of a group, talent-wise, to tap into however. As far as proximity to Memphis goes, there's Ole Miss, Miss. St, Vandy and Alabama also not too far away

I saw UK mentioned on that message board, but those guys aren't UK good in my opinion. However, I'm sure Cal would also like to get his claws into the younger siblings.

But, if we get them I'll be happy or if we get someone else that's been mentioned I'll be happy then too. Just want to see us continue to upgrade our roster year by year
I agree with you, but I heard there is a blue blood school interested - and maybe it's just for one of them. For obvious reasons there is a lot of animosity between Memphis and Kentucky. It could go either way - it would be the ultimate slap in the face to Memphis if one went to Kentucky, or perhaps they snub Kentucky and go with Arkansas or Vanderbilt. Of course I could be wrong, but I can't see them going to a Mississippi school.

hogfreak

Kansas maybe. I know about the brothers but im wondering who the cousin might be.

HogFaninMemphis

Guys, there is way too much drama with that family. Pastner took it on because he had to. Even with the Lawsons, he still was let go. Having said that, Dedric Lawson is like a Top 25 player nationally. If there were a way to get him and nothing more, I'd be interested. KJ is also really good but more difficult off the court. I'd rather not have the drama of the whole family trying to run things, and I'm sure MA is the same way. I'd love to see Tubby force them to stay out of the SEC.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

HOGINTENNESSEE

Apparently, Mr Lawson played with Andy Kennedy at UAB. In addition to his other 2 sons coming up the Lawson's are related to DJ Jeffries.

The man for real could bring like 5 top 50 prospects to a school

HOGINTENNESSEE

One other thing to mention Khalil is friends with the Lawson from Team Penny and committed at one time to play with them at Memphis

HogCzar1

I don't know what is the real situation, but I did listen to Memphis radio while traveling today. First, I am not sure why it would be a good idea to ignore this situation right off the bat.

I agree totally that we do not need a situation whereby the nucleus of a talented bunch of newcomers is damaged by transfers. However, you cannot ignore potentially 3-4 top 50 players who could perhaps join the committed bunch and create maybe the most talented team since 1994-95.

It appears that we have some connections to this situation. We recruited these guys out of high school, they know Todd Day well, and K. Garland has played with them. In addition, it is known that we have some top level talent coming.  If, and its a big if, Mike can get these kids to come to UA, it then opens the door to the younger brothers, and, also reopens the recruiting door to Memphis which for the most part has been shut down since Nolan's time.

I am not sure why you would just laugh off 3-4 talented kids like this going to Ole Miss or Mizzou.

We have been discussing the scholarship situation for a while in terms of who gets the remaining spots. You have to think that Mike and staff have to reassess all of this based on today's events. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Hog are ya

I'll admit, I don't know that much about them.  But the thought doesn't excite me to much.  Sounds like a bunch of drama.  As far as the motivation being because we would get their little brothers, does the name Monk not ring a bell??!??!!  And as far as someone mentioning given a choice of these guys, in place of not having Macon next year?  !@#$ no!!!!  Are you kidding me?!

And if I'm wrong, I do hope they don't end up at an SEC school though....

NWAHog479

Obviously would love to have these guys, but everybody else in the country would like to have them too. For me, it obviously shows that Tubby is in trouble in Memphis. There is so much HS talent there, we need to pounce on that area and make it a recruiting pipeline!

Hawg Red

Things are not looking good for the University of Memphis right now. There could be a blood fight between the Hogs and Ole Miss for all of that Memphis talent. If that is the case, it will be a very crucial battle. This battle for the Lawson boys may be more important than you'd think. We're all like "yeah, it'd be great to get them but I'm not expecting to" but can we really afford for Ole Miss to get them (and then the talent that likely comes along with it)? Now, we're assuming the younger brothers will go to the school the older brothers pick and the reality is the younger two probably don't play in college at the same time as the older two.

If the Hogs don't get them, I'd love to see them not at Ole Miss.

yraciv

Quote from: Hog are ya on April 06, 2017, 02:39:28 am
I'll admit, I don't know that much about them.  But the thought doesn't excite me to much.  Sounds like a bunch of drama.  As far as the motivation being because we would get their little brothers, does the name Monk not ring a bell??!??!!  And as far as someone mentioning given a choice of these guys, in place of not having Macon next year?  !@#$ no!!!!  Are you kidding me?!

And if I'm wrong, I do hope they don't end up at an SEC school though....

That was some far fetched what if dreamed up by a poster! Mike wouldn't give up Macon for these 2. Macon would have to leave on his own and/or the more likely scenario is someone transfers out.  We have room for 1 now and would have to make room for the 2nd.

aloha_kid

Quote from: HogCzar1 on April 05, 2017, 05:35:13 pm
Keith Easterwood, Memphis AAU guru, and Tiger supporter, was on Memphis radio about 30 minutes ago.

He said the 2 Lawson's and the father where unhappy with Tubby and staff. He said Josh Pastner tried to take them all to Georgia Tech after Pastner left, but they were convinced to stay by Tubby.

He said the Father Lawson could be interested in an assistant job with a school, but also may go back to coaching Memphis area high school.

He said the 2 current Lawsons would not have to go to the same school. He said the family would like to be within driving distance of watching them play. He said that an SEC school is a likely landing spot to fit that bill.

Fayetteville was the first town mentioned. Among others.

It would appear that KJ was unhappy on twitter:

He wrote: "I know I deserved more I just never said it two middle fingers as I make a exit, yeah ... Did I lose you?"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/memphis-tigers/basketball/2017/04/05/dedric-and-kj-lawson-transferring-memphis/100076236/

forrest city joe

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on April 06, 2017, 12:27:13 pm
There's just so many players the Hogs have been in on recently, I don't see Mike taking these guys in. Although said they wouldn't have to go to same school, I'd bet they do. And I bet they fall in OM or Mizzou's lap... Seriously, Mizzou is getting super friggin lucky man. Would love to see it blow up in their face a la Mustain and Co. Posted in another thread, but them transferring here would be great because we're losing 3 forwards the next year and they would simply take over the year after sitting out. Plus we'd be getting Perry and Henderson, as well as Gafford having played 1 year. We would be lethal down low! But we'd have to make room for them, and just don't see it happening.
+1000. i don't see it happening either.looks like a Ole Miss/Mizzo battle.

HogCzar1

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 06, 2017, 12:31:37 pm
+1000. i don't see it happening either.looks like a Ole Miss/Mizzo battle.

For those hoping that this turns into an Ole Miss or Missouri race be careful what you wish for.

navyhog24

Memphis board seems to think 3 team race with OM, Mizzou, and the Hogs. Others think it's just between the Hogs and OM. So who knows.

Hawg Red

Quote from: navyhog24 on April 06, 2017, 01:43:24 pm
Memphis board seems to think 3 team race with OM, Mizzou, and the Hogs. Others think it's just between the Hogs and OM. So who knows.

We won't be that fortunate. I mean, right?

navyhog24

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 06, 2017, 01:48:52 pm
We won't be that fortunate. I mean, right?

We don't have that kind of luck unfortunately.

forrest city joe

Quote from: navyhog24 on April 06, 2017, 01:43:24 pm
Alabama. that's the latest i am hearing over here.Avery Johnson is loading up. but so is Mike Anderson. going to be fun in the years to come.

navyhog24

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 06, 2017, 01:51:03 pm
Alabama. that's the latest i am hearing over here.Avery Johnson is loading up. but so is Mike Anderson. going to be fun in the years to come.

That wouldn't surprise me in the least bit either. Avery Johnson is proving to be one hell of a recruiter/salesman.

wavybone

hogwood

I don't think we can afford to pass up the Lawson's. I mean what an amazing opportunity!  They want to be in the SEC, close to home, we have all the right connections with the family, and they can bring us even more talent. We would be short sighted to not throw our hats in the ring or otherwise we are allowing another SEC program to get a jump on us. We need to try for the Lawson's and keep inserting ourselves in these Memphis conversations if we want to be elite again.

Hawg Red

Quote from: hogwood on April 06, 2017, 02:04:51 pm
I don't think we can afford to pass up the Lawson's. I mean what an amazing opportunity!  They want to be in the SEC, close to home, we have all the right connections with the family, and they can bring us even more talent. We would be short sighted to not throw our hats in the ring or otherwise we are allowing another SEC program to get a jump on us. We need to try for the Lawson's and keep inserting ourselves in these Memphis conversations if we want to be elite again.

We can't let the top Memphis talent start flocking to Ole Miss.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: navyhog24 on April 06, 2017, 01:56:01 pm
That wouldn't surprise me in the least bit either. Avery Johnson is proving to be one hell of a recruiter/salesman.

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

FineAsSwine

Quote from: navyhog24 on April 06, 2017, 01:56:01 pm

He already got Nick King as a Memphis transfer a year or so ago. King never really contributed though and is now transferring to MTSU.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Little Lady Back

Totally agree with you!
#NolanRichardsonCourt

HogCzar1

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 06, 2017, 01:51:03 pm

I haven't heard Alabama. I hear Arkansas, Ole Miss, and Mizzou.
The Nick King transfer didn't work out well.

forrest city joe

Quote from: HogCzar1 on April 06, 2017, 02:26:35 pm
I haven't heard Alabama. I hear Arkansas, Ole Miss, and Mizzou.
The Nick King transfer didn't work out well.
You may be right. i just telling you what i hear over here in Forrest City.it could be wrong.but i disagree with the idea Mike can't pass on the Lawson's.because he can.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 06, 2017, 02:57:42 pm
You may be right. i just telling you what i hear over here in Forrest City.it could be wrong.but i disagree with the idea Mike can't pass on the Lawson's.because he can.

FCJ, Mike certainly can use Lawson 👊

Georgeofthejungle

Quote from: Little Lady Back on April 06, 2017, 02:07:53 pm
Totally agree with you!

I totally agree. I watched a number of Memphis' games this season being from Jonesboro and was impressed with both, especially Dedric. He is a beast inside and is a legitimate threat shooting outside. With a redshirt year to improve and hopefully mature, he would add great experience and depth to our front court in 2018.

The_Iceman

This would create a crazy front court situation:

SF: Hall / KJ Lawson
PF: D.Lawson or R.Perry
C: Gafford / Henderson (going small here)

How are you gonna find playing time for all those guys, especially at PF and C. That's 4 studs there.

labb

When I read through this thread the first thing that comes to my feeble mind is Mitch Mustane and that bunch...

Inhogswetrust

April 06, 2017, 06:15:51 pm #86 Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 06:06:35 am by Inhogswetrust

They didn't like taking direction and playing D for Tubby. What makes you think they would for Mike.....................I heard a Memphis Tiger legend today on the radio and he didn't come right out and say it but he basically blamed them and not Tubby. There is some drama with the dad as well.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hawg Red

We can handle not getting the Lawsons. It's Arkansas not getting them and Ole Miss getting them that is the real concern to me. The prima donna stuff that I'm reading has me wondering if they would be more trouble than they are worth. Probably still worth it but I was just hate Ole Miss get that leg up in the war for Memphis.

hogfreak

What year are they. Get the brothers and cousin and your looking at a championship run.

HogCzar1

Joe, you are correct. Mike can pass these guys up. The question is, should he?

First, as I mentioned before, consideration must be given as to whether the Lawsons would create a chemistry issue with our current incoming group. In addition, the role of Mr. Lawson would have be a consideration.

I have listened intently the last 2 days to Memphis radio. Gary Parrish is a Memphis homer for sure, but he does have a pulse on what is going on there. He is adamant that Mr. Lawson has not been a problem. In addition, he and others have blasted Tubby for not maintaining the relationship with the Lawsons to keep potentially 4 top level players in the fold.

In addition, this is not a 2 for 1 deal. While Dedric is the more talented, K.J. averaged I think 12 and 8. He was arguably the 2nd best player on the team.

I have yet to see any recruit that would be more ready to contribute than Dedric would be. In addition, the Memphis homers were also adamant that the 2 younger Lawsons were even better players, and potential McDonald's All-Americans.

I agree, that Mike must be comfortable with them. But, he did recruit them. In addition, Mike has not been able to recruit top level Memphis talent since he was hired. This COULD be something that just falls in our lap perfectly. Granted, we would have to land them, but Arkansas is in a strong position with the system we play, with connections to Todd Day and K. Garland, and also driving distance from Memphis. I would also argue we are in a stronger position than either Ole Miss or Mizzou to make a deep run over the next few years.

I agree there is apprehension among some due to the circumstances. But, there is far too much upside not to take a serious look at these guys. And, if necessary, to do what is needed numbers wise to make it work.

rzrbackramsfan

This is an interesting debate.  Trust in Mike though.

hogwood

Quote from: HogCzar1 on April 06, 2017, 09:19:54 pm
Joe, you are correct. Mike can pass these guys up. The question is, should he?

First, as I mentioned before, consideration must be given as to whether the Lawsons would create a chemistry issue with our current incoming group. In addition, the role of Mr. Lawson would have be a consideration.

I have listened intently the last 2 days to Memphis radio. Gary Parrish is a Memphis homer for sure, but he does have a pulse on what is going on there. He is adamant that Mr. Lawson has not been a problem. In addition, he and others have blasted Tubby for not maintaining the relationship with the Lawsons to keep potentially 4 top level players in the fold.

In addition, this is not a 2 for 1 deal. While Dedric is the more talented, K.J. averaged I think 12 and 8. He was arguably the 2nd best player on the team.

I have yet to see any recruit that would be more ready to contribute than Dedric would be. In addition, the Memphis homers were also adamant that the 2 younger Lawsons were even better players, and potential McDonald's All-Americans.

I agree, that Mike must be comfortable with them. But, he did recruit them. In addition, Mike has not been able to recruit top level Memphis talent since he was hired. This COULD be something that just falls in our lap perfectly. Granted, we would have to land them, but Arkansas is in a strong position with the system we play, with connections to Todd Day and K. Garland, and also driving distance from Memphis. I would also argue we are in a stronger position than either Ole Miss or Mizzou to make a deep run over the next few years.

I agree there is apprehension among some due to the circumstances. But, there is far too much upside not to take a serious look at these guys. And, if necessary, to do what is needed numbers wise to make it work.

I like what you said here. I too think that Mike can pass up the Lawsons. But why? I mean we can just take one of the PG's we're looking at and next year be pushing for a SW16 again - with a ton of AR talent on the way and a bright future. But getting the Lawsons out of Memphis would bring our brand name back to life there. Even though we have a ton of in-state talent, we need a share of the Memphis talent to be elite. This would be that move. This would solidify recruiting connections for the rest of Mike's career here. This is a program move - it's not just about whether we need the Lawsons next season.

navyhog24

Now some people are saying on the Memphis board that Ole Miss is out of the running, but anything can happen. No talk of Alabama lately.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: navyhog24 on April 07, 2017, 06:15:30 am
Now some people are saying on the Memphis board that Ole Miss is out of the running, but anything can happen. No talk of Alabama lately.

If true that sounds like a coaching spot didn't open up as had been rumored to be happening in Oxford.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hawg Red

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on April 06, 2017, 09:01:40 pm
They'll always have a leg up. They're practically right there location wise and we just don't get em out of Memphis like we used to. Bell was the last one, although Barford could be considered even though it's a little bit outside and was by way of JUCO. I would hate to see Mizzou get them. They're extremely lucky to have gotten Porter and now other top recruits considering them. It's CRAZY for anybody to want to play there considering they're so bad. But hey, Auburn got a lot of top flight talent last 2 classes and haven't been all that great. MSU has gotten some decent too. SEC basketball is about to get real tough, folks.

Ole Miss is closer in distance but not exposure. We should have a leg up there.

Hawg Red

Quote from: navyhog24 on April 07, 2017, 06:15:30 am

Then who do they think is the frontrunner?

navyhog24

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 07, 2017, 08:52:30 am
Then who do they think is the frontrunner?

The Hogs, but Bama does have 2 open spots for sure. So their situation is easier to take on the Lawsons than Mike having to tell one of the current players he won't have a spot open for him (which I and others feel like Mike won't do). Also, Avery Johnson is one hell of a recruiter. He is starting to stockpile some talent.

Hawg Red

If there was ever a situation to have to make the numbers work, this would be it. I wonder if anyone has heard how much interest there is on the Hogs' end.

hogwood

Quote from: navyhog24 on April 07, 2017, 09:02:18 am
The Hogs, but Bama does have 2 open spots for sure. So their situation is easier to take on the Lawsons than Mike having to tell one of the current players he won't have a spot open for him (which I and others feel like Mike won't do). Also, Avery Johnson is one hell of a recruiter. He is starting to stockpile some talent.

It wouldn't surprise me if someone just transfers out anyways (Hazen or Jones - IMO it would be Jones (he just seemed the most unhappy on the bench plus I have observed some revealing things on social media)). In that case there would be 2 spots.

navyhog24

For fun of speculation, someone supposedly a member of the Lawson family posted this