Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Johnny Gibson

Started by grayhawg, March 30, 2017, 09:06:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GoHogzzGo

Just read this too, can't help but wonder what it was. If he is as talented as they think he is I hope the kid gets it all straightened out.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

factchecker

Good thing is that he is still on the team and getting some individual work until he earns his way back.

Anderson had some good advice:

Quote"My advice to him is that people make mistakes, but at the same time, you've gotta learn from them," Anderson said. "He's gotta turn this into a positive and attack every workout, every practice, every opportunity to get back into the trust of his teammates, his coaches and himself."
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

PorkRinds

That sucks. We need him.

Well, it indicates he can work his way back. 

Scott7703

Not good to lose a quality guy at a weak position.

PorkSoda

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 30, 2017, 09:25:45 pm
That sucks. We need him.
Quote from: Scott7703 on March 30, 2017, 09:43:35 pm
Not good to lose a quality guy at a weak position.
I doubt we lose him.  he will be back in the starting rotation by fall more than likely.

to me this is good news.  its not like if suddenly forgot how to block or had a career ending injury.  he just got in some trouble and has to prove himself again, which he is no doubt capable of.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

jgphillips3

Sounds like they are disciplining him, motivating him and he'll be back in spot by fall.  In the meantime, maybe newcomers get some good reps.

nwahogfan1

According to CBB when he first came here OL and DL were going to be our strength.  He was going to really put priority on our OL and DL.  Well so far he gets only a C from me.  He needs to do better.  I really hope this spring we can see some really good run blocking from these guys.   I know the 3-4 will run a lot of stuns trying to confuse them so I hope to see our OLM blocking the right man and staying on their block.  Jury is out on this issue.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on March 31, 2017, 06:03:00 am
According to CBB when he first came here OL and DL were going to be our strength.  He was going to really put priority on our OL and DL.  Well so far he gets only a C from me.  He needs to do better.  I really hope this spring we can see some really good run blocking from these guys.   I know the 3-4 will run a lot of stuns trying to confuse them so I hope to see our OLM blocking the right man and staying on their block.  Jury is out on this issue.
our fans had better get ready for some chunk plays against us for quite some time since we are converting to the 3-4...it takes NFL defenses a season to learn how to play that scheme...I'm sure it needs to be done, but against the better teams we are going to look silly from time to time, through no fault of the players
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

grayhawg

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 31, 2017, 06:14:51 am
our fans had better get ready for some chunk plays against us for quite some time since we are converting to the 3-4...it takes NFL defenses a season to learn how to play that scheme...I'm sure it needs to be done, but against the better teams we are going to look silly from time to time, through no fault of the players
We looked silly on defence against Auburn, Bama and LSU last year if I remember correctly.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: grayhawg on March 30, 2017, 09:06:22 pm
Looks like he messed up. :(

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-spring-football-johnny-gibson

SIAP

Anderson did not look happy when he spoke about this. One of the things I like about this coaching staff is when a kid messes up the coaches give them a list of things to do. The path to recovery is very easy for the players to see. The coaches really do want these kids to grow into good men.

Hopefully JG takes it to heart and follows the path exactly as the coaches want.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: grayhawg on March 31, 2017, 06:20:42 am
We looked silly on defence against Auburn, Bama and LSU last year if I remember correctly.
We looked silly on offense through parts of those games, especially the auburn game. We were outscored by 60 points. blame goes both ways
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Pork Twain

I believe we are finally getting that depth people love to complain about.  JG better get it together and get on track or he will be ridding pine.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on March 31, 2017, 06:49:25 am
We looked silly on offense through parts of those games, especially the auburn game. We were outscored by 60 points. blame goes both ways
Please pay attention to context. He was replying to someone who said our defense will probably look silly at times until we learn the 3-4 ins and outs by saying that we already do look silly (he is right) so we have nothing to lose.

GoHogzzGo

Completely agreed, and I am still a CBB fan. I'm not in the least impressed with the state of the O Line, and only a bit more confident in the D Line. CBB needs to get those two units shored up as he said he intends to do, man last year was hard to watch at times.

hogcard1964

Hate to hear this. 

Hope he straightens it out.

grayhawg

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on March 31, 2017, 06:49:25 am
The post I was replying to mentioned our new defence would look silly from time to time against the better teams so I mentioned defence only.

Razorbackers

Alex Collins, J-Wil, and Rawleigh Williams all were 1000+ yard rushers.

We've thrown for 3000+ yards in both 2015 and 2016.

Did we see a dip in performance last year? Absolutely. But stop conveniently forgetting that we've already had an elite line unit here in 2015, and that the 2014 and 2016 line's issues aside, they still allowed for lots of offensive production.

Hogs run wild

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on March 31, 2017, 07:30:26 am
Completely agreed, and I am still a CBB fan. I'm not in the least impressed with the state of the O Line, and only a bit more confident in the D Line. CBB needs to get those two units shored up as he said he intends to do, man last year was hard to watch at times.
people will want to argue with you on this because they watched the season with razorback colored glasses last year (and every year for that matter). i don't see how anyone can watch the first 5-6 games and not be pissed at how many times this o-line was letting austin get hit. also, the lack of discipline has been lacking the last few years. stupid penalties killing us.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

Vantage 8 dude

I have faith the young man will learn from whatever mistake(s) he might have made. Apparently some folks forget what it was like when they were teenagers/in their early 20s. Plenty of opportunities to screw up and yet grow from the experience(s).

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: Razorbackers on March 31, 2017, 09:07:10 am
Alex Collins, J-Wil, and Rawleigh Williams all were 1000+ yard rushers.

We've thrown for 3000+ yards in both 2015 and 2016.

Did we see a dip in performance last year? Absolutely. But stop conveniently forgetting that we've already had an elite line unit here in 2015, and that the 2014 and 2016 line's issues aside, they still allowed for lots of offensive production.

Those numbers don't prove O Line performance. Conversely imagine what those numbers would have been if we had good Line play 🙂. Only seeing one elite line unit. I do have full confidence in CBB so I'm not going that route. Just need to see more quality O Line play before I have full support of his abilities there. And it is just such an important aspect of the game, hence the attention.

Razorbackers

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on March 31, 2017, 09:15:51 am
Those numbers don't prove O Line performance.

?

The offensive line's job is to move the defense out of the way so that the running backs can run the ball, and so the QB can throw the ball.

Last year's line struggled and still had 3000 passing yards and 1600 rushing yards.

Could there have been more yards? Less sacks? etc? Of course. But let's stop pretending that 1) Bielema has never had a top tier offensive line unit here because he already has, and 2) that last year's offensive line was useless. Because they weren't.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 31, 2017, 09:15:19 am
I have faith the young man will learn from whatever mistake(s) he might have made. Apparently some folks forget what it was like when they were teenagers/in their early 20s. Plenty of opportunities to screw up and yet grow from the experience(s).

Yep, every kid matures at a different rate, handles adversity differently, handles fame/attention differently.  None of it makes them a bad kid, teammate or player.  It's why coaches get paid what they do.  1/2 coach, 1/2 mentor, 1/2 father figure, 1/2 teacher, 1/2 psychologist.

Light comes on at different times for these guys, many times why we see guys that barely saw the field one year explode the next.  Kid has shown he has potential so coaches will devote the time and effort to motivate him to maximize it.  Key is eventually taking to the coaching.  Here's hoping JG eventually does for his sake, ok and selfishly for ours.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: Razorbackers on March 31, 2017, 09:47:26 am
?

The offensive line's job is to move the defense out of the way so that the running backs can run the ball, and so the QB can throw the ball.

Last year's line struggled and still had 3000 passing yards and 1600 rushing yards.

Could there have been more yards? Less sacks? etc? Of course. But let's stop pretending that 1) Bielema has never had a top tier offensive line unit here because he already has, and 2) that last year's offensive line was useless. Because they weren't.

I think we agree on everything Razorbackers arguing two diff points, what you said is all correct  ;)

Bottom line hope Gibson is a starter and gets it together. Homegrown walk on is always a cool story, and the kid has the skills.

HogBreath

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 31, 2017, 06:14:51 am
Not sure if serious.  Did you happen by any chance, to watch our defense any the last 2 years?

We know silly really well.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

The Hawg Marshal

I hope the young man gets it together and is a productive member of the team.

BigoBoys

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on March 31, 2017, 09:15:51 am
Those numbers don't prove O Line performance. Conversely imagine what those numbers would have been if we had good Line play 🙂. Only seeing one elite line unit. I do have full confidence in CBB so I'm not going that route. Just need to see more quality O Line play before I have full support of his abilities there. And it is just such an important aspect of the game, hence the attention.
What proves O Line performance?

SamBuckhart

Hope you get it straightened out, Mr. Gibson. One of my favorite players.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Sportster365

Hard to say one way or the other about this considering we don't know the brevity of the incident, but its bologna like this is what keeps us from getting the program moving in the right direction.

If you want to win, you've got to put your best foot forward. You've got to play your best. In THE toughest conference in college football, you're not going to get by, thinking you can simply plug and play players at your beckon call just because you got away with it in the past while playing in a much weaker conference.

It's clear at this point this coach still hasn't gotten' it yet.

Boog41

Quote from: Sportster365 on April 10, 2017, 12:10:58 pm
Hard to say one way or the other about this considering we don't know the brevity of the incident, but its bologna like this is what keeps us from getting the program moving in the right direction.

If you want to win, you've got to put your best foot forward. You've got to play your best. In THE toughest conference in college football, you're not going to get by, thinking you can simply plug and play players at your beckon call just because you got away with it in the past while playing in a much weaker conference.

Ask Baylor what happens when you don't maintain discipline while putting your best foot forward.

Like him, or not, that is one thing CBB has done a good job of.

Hawgar The Horrible

Oh some folks haven't gotten it yet - alright. And it ain't the coach. Try you and Johnny.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: theFlyingHog on March 31, 2017, 07:24:39 am
Please pay attention to context. He was replying to someone who said our defense will probably look silly at times until we learn the 3-4 ins and outs by saying that we already do look silly (he is right) so we have nothing to lose.
Was my statement false though?
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Vantage 8 dude

So in your learned opinion how "at this point this coach still hasn't gotten' it yet"? So you're apparently accusing them of merely trying to "simply plug and play players" at their beckon call ??? How so? I mean it's not as if the staff just woke up one morning and decided "gee, I think I'll just mess up the potential continuity of the OL by arbitrarily taking Gibson out and moving someone else into his spot". Duh!!!! Earth to Sportster 365: He apparently screwed up either/and on or off the field. And while we never really know all the details, I think we can assume it must have been pretty significant for CBB and others to take the action(s) they did. By the way, we certainly can't say that something like this is the first time that the coaches have come down on a kid who somehow didn't tow the line and/or get things done the right way. So before you slam the staff how about doing what the rest of us are trying to do: let the coaches handle the players, both on and off the field.  And let young Mr. Gibson try to straighten himself out and earn his way back into a starting spot. Your blood pressure just might thank you for it.

gchamblee

If CBB abandons discipline in an effort to chase another win or 2, I will abandon him. People like you sit and cheer for a team to do whatever it takes to win regardless of its ethical/moral foundation. You are also the first fans to disappear and find a new team when that team gets hammered into submission by the NCAA.

Dwillhog66

Acting like you know what it takes to win makes it clear you haven't gotten it yet!

RagingHawgOn

I bet you think old Hugh has gotten "it" though.

onebadrubi

It's clear you don't get it. 

pigroots

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on April 10, 2017, 12:33:26 pm
Oh some folks haven't gotten it yet - alright. And it ain't the coach. Try you and Johnny.
This X1000

Vantage 8 dude

April 10, 2017, 02:07:20 pm #39 Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 05:34:00 pm by Vantage 8 dude

In reading your comments I've reached the conclusion that you are either: a) his unofficial agent or b) his official apologist. Of course there obviously could be a third logical choice: you are totally clueless and brain dead.

colbs

If you start letting things slide and don't have displine then it is just a matter of time before it will cost you more than just wins.  Just ask Baylor and Ole Miss how this has worked out for them.  In the long room it's going to cost them a lot of wins and a lot of people lost their jobs due to it.

Sportster365

Clearly the OL was an area of the team that needs much improvement. He's got options, will he use them properly.

Gibson - Ragnow - Rogers - Wallace - Jackson - Raulerson

Its a reoccurring theme. Coach plugs in players and leave them there despite their productivity. BA is an excellent example. We saw a huge drop off at mLB going from Speight to Ellis. Here's a guy who's been on the field since his freshman year and left as a senior, underachieved.

The laundry list goes on of players who "should have" acquired much more playing time and starting roles but I'll digress.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Sportster365 on April 11, 2017, 10:24:59 am
Clearly the OL was an area of the team that needs much improvement. He's got options, will he use them properly.

Its a reoccurring theme. Coach plugs in players and leave them there despite their productivity. BA is an excellent example. We saw a huge drop off at mLB going from Speight to Ellis. Here's a guy who's been on the field since his freshman year and left as a senior, underachieved.

The laundry list goes on of players who "should have" acquired much more playing time and starting roles but I'll digress.

Your last posts in this thread fell out of the dumb tree and hit every limb on the way down.

Sportster365

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 11, 2017, 10:29:14 am
Your last posts in this thread fell out of the dumb tree and hit every limb on the way down.

BA was not the best QB on the Arkansas roster and Ellis played four years and never met expectations.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Sportster365 on April 11, 2017, 10:24:59 am

So in all your babbling about how unfair you obviously think it was that Gibson's been demoted, at least temporarily, you've conveniently skirted around the issue of whether or not HIS PERSONAL ACTIONS warrants such a move by CBB. As it stands on what you've written thus far you apparently don't. Yep, big old mean CBB and staff just arbitrarily decided one morning to pick on poor little Gibson for absolutely no reason at all. In fact, they apparently did so (at least according to your thinking) BECAUSE it would screw up continuity in the OL. And of course, again apparently to your line of.....uhh....reasoning....he'll continue to be relegated to some sort of back up role even if, and when, he corrects whatever issue(s) that caused him to be found in the dog house. I do have to ask in closing though: do you have delusional thoughts like this often ??? However, you are totally correct about one thing-you digress.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Sportster365 on April 11, 2017, 10:32:52 am
BA was not the best QB on the Arkansas roster and Ellis played four years and never met expectations.

Yes he was. Your expectations don't mean anything.

Vantage 8 dude

So not only are you an apparent master talent evaluator when it comes to the OL, but that obviously extends to the QB position as well. Hum......unless you're currently on the staff of a major college or hold a position with an NFL team then your "talents" are doubtless being wasted. Then again, we are all "blessed" that you're sharing your brilliant insight with us for free.   :puke:

RazrRila99

If not BA - WHO?  You mean the same BA who is in the NFL who will probably get significant minutes this season?  That BA? 

Sportster365

Look the point is #51 should not be a starting O lineman. His play on the field thus far has made that very evident, but yet and still this coach reinserts him there again.

And on a side note is the QB from Greenwood's prospects so high, that we don't offer the kid from Earle at shot to be a Razorback QB? I mean why haven't coach B offered this kid an opportunity to play QB in his home state...quote, un quote the best player in the state of Arkansas... a potential real game changer and nothing....

This line of reasoning will not win him many games here in the SEC. It's the same mantra with this coach and it clearly hasn't produced so far. Difficult to see it happening this upcoming season either

onebadrubi

Please, Sir, tell us who was better than BA two football seasons ago?

And you can't even bash with correct facts.  Spaight wasn't MLB.