Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Senate Bill 724 Could Exempt Athletic Facilities from Concealed Carry

Started by gdumont, March 29, 2017, 11:07:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgTrough

Quote from: sw403 on March 30, 2017, 11:47:52 am
How many stabbings and beatings happen at RRS?  I have never seen violence at the games I have been to, so why would there be if people had guns that you couldn't see?

lol, you guys are hilarious
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/video-fans-exchange-punches-mississippi-states-blocked-fg-arkansas/
WPS

PorkRinds

Quote from: hog of steele on March 30, 2017, 11:31:32 am
If you can find language in "no law" that allows a law according to the constitution, I will change my mind. Your rights have been violated in the past is not justification for doing it in the future.

Talk to them Supreme Court. They're the ones that have decided that "no law" doesn't mean much because they've allowed plenty of laws.

Kevin

Quote from: Hogwild on March 30, 2017, 11:46:37 am
I don't think we could.  NOT that I agree with the law, it is stupid to bring guns into a college stadium/arena.

But those regionals are merit based. While Mississippi, South Carolina, and North Carolina all face or have faced NCAA bans, they never applied to merit based regionals. South Carolina, Clemson, Ole Miss, and Miss State have all hosted regionals since the state ban went into effect.  This biggest issue is how the SEC would respond.

they just repealed part of the bathroom bill here is nc. in part due to the pressure from the ncaa. the pulled out events last year, and we not going to schedule events here in the future.

so yes, they would have boycotted Arkansas.

I don't think any athletic organization should be in politics.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

cityhog

Quote from: Kevin on March 30, 2017, 11:58:26 am
they just repealed part of the bathroom bill here is nc. in part due to the pressure from the ncaa. the pulled out events last year, and we not going to schedule events here in the future.

so yes, they would have boycotted Arkansas.

I don't think any athletic organization should be in politics.

$$$ talks. lame legislation walks.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on March 30, 2017, 08:38:43 am
It pisses me off because other states, especially outside of the south think Arkansas are dumb, tobacco spittin, gun shootin, country hicks........and situations like this don't help our case in any way
And this is going to change the perception of how people outside of Arkansas perceive The Natural State ?   Now I agree there is no reason to be packing heat at a sporting event. At least not at this point. But remember sporting events are, in the future, going to be easy targets for terrorist simply because of the congestion of tens of thousands of people in such close proximity. The answer is not fans packing heat but to substantially upgrade the security for sporting events. If that eventually means patting people down or metal detectors so be it. But with the love of immigrants by society in general and the willingness of our government to take in refugees from the middle east, you can expect that one of these days the unthinkable will happen. Yes, there's going to be a suicide bombers among us. I  don't know when, I don't know where it's going to happen at a football or basketball game, but it's coming and you can thank the tolerant left for this inevitable horror.

Again, I agree that carrying guns will in no way help and likely hurt any situation such as the one just above. I'm as big of a second amendment guy as there is but I see no reason to holster a gun at a sporting event.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Hoggy Bear

HawgWyld

Quote from: theshiva on March 30, 2017, 11:22:01 am
Because past discussions of "common sense gun laws" and "compromise" only ended up with gun owners losing rights. I don't blame the NRA for changing strategies and just fight for every gun right they can.

That said I'm not a fan of having firearms in the stadium.
Exactly. Get the blasted lobbyists and nuts (on both sides of the aisle) out of the conversation first, then let's talk about "common sense." Common sense would dictate that 70k armed fans at a ball game is an awful idea, just as it would dictate that suggestions such as taxing ammo until its priced so high no one can afford it and allowing people who have been shot by guns to sue manufacturers are bad ideas. However, those are just a few weird ideas that have come up recently.

Meanwhile, the notion of armed fans ought to scare the hell out of Bret Bielema...

colbs

Quote from: Kevin on March 30, 2017, 11:59:27 am
was there really a need to pass the original bill?
No.  I'm sure there were several in the past that have carried inside of the stadium before.  If they were ever caught the worst that could happen is that they would be told to leave the game.  Now no matter what security will be increased.

PonderinHog

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

hogcard1964

Don't expect a rational POV from ESPN.  They still employ Stephen A. Smith and once actually employed Keith Olberman.

Ex-Trumpet

Will we be able to take our guns in the bathroom of our choice, though, that is the really important question!!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

cityhog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 30, 2017, 12:07:33 pm
But with the love of immigrants by society in general and the willingness of our government to take in refugees from the middle east, you can expect that one of these days the unthinkable will happen. Yes, there's going to be a suicide bombers among us. I  don't know when, I don't know where it's going to happen at a football or basketball game, but it's coming and you can thank the tolerant left for this inevitable horror.

Domestic Terror attacks in the US by US Citizens and Permanent Residents
84%
Domestic Terror attacks in the US Non-residents and Unknown
16%

perhaps we should take a look in the mirror and handle our own whack-jobs first.

GoHogzzGo

Sheesh. Can't they wait until the amendment voting is done before doing these stories. Might be a none issue shortly after it airs.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on March 30, 2017, 12:20:18 pm
Sheesh. Can't they wait until the amendment voting is done before doing these stories. Might be a none issue shortly after it airs.

The media hasn't waited on facts in over 10 years.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Trey1981

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 30, 2017, 12:19:11 pm
Don't expect a rational POV from ESPN.  They still employ Stephen A. Smith and once actually employed Keith Olberman.

There is a big difference between OTL and much of the rest of what ESPN produces.

Bob Ley is one of if not the best investigative journalists in the sports space in the country.

Svrdhd

Quote from: sw403 on March 30, 2017, 06:42:37 am
Why would we loose NCAA baseball, track and gymnastic regionals?
North Carolina has voted that men can't use the women's restroom and vice/versa (as part of rejecting LGBT protections via NC HB2) so the NCAA, NBA, and ACC have pulled several tournements, meetings, and activities from North Carolina. It is projected to cost them billions over the next several years.
  This is a relatively esoteric 'discrimination' issue in NC, what we could have is more dire and could be considered a 'safety' issue. If you were a referee or opposing coach in front of an unhappy home crowd, would you want to become a potential target to a couple thousand hotheads with guns? I wouldn't.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

GoHogzzGo

hog of steele

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 30, 2017, 11:57:41 am
Talk to them Supreme Court. They're the ones that have decided that "no law" doesn't mean much because they've allowed plenty of laws.

If you believe the supreme court is always correct and knows all things you are going to have a weird life.

hog of steele

Quote from: Hogwild on March 30, 2017, 11:54:35 am
That is your opinion, but it is not a fact.  The words "no law" is no where in the 2nd amendment.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed.

No one is infringing on their right to own a gun, but you can make law on where said person can bring their guns.

Sorry for updating the language for you. We can play with the original words if you like. I did notice how you mentioned that the right to own (keep) a weapon was not infringed. Now lets talk about the right to bear (carry) a weapon.

presidenthog

Quote from: Hoggy Bear on March 30, 2017, 12:09:03 pm
in the next few min.  On ESPN right now.

They are just looking for any opportunity to push thier liberal propaganda. This is heaven for them. They are gonna run a hit piece talking about how awful we are.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on March 30, 2017, 12:19:49 pm
Will we be able to take our guns in the bathroom of our choice, though, that is the really important question!!
Just keep it aimed forward.  No sweeping/spraying motions.   >:(

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: HogDuffer on March 30, 2017, 10:44:57 am
I agree. I don't think they should be permitted. However, it should be left to administration to decide, not legislators.
Agreed they stuck their noses in something that had nothing to do with them. Essentially they created a big problem out of something that wasn't one
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: cityhog on March 30, 2017, 12:20:14 pm

84%
16%

perhaps we should take a look in the mirror and handle our own whack-jobs first.
I agree, but what is the point of taking on more problems ?  I knew a LEFTY would take the bait and here comes the first bite. U.S. Citizens are allowed to be here. They were born here or the law says they have a right to be here. The other 16% is unnecessary because they shouldn't be here in the first place.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: sw403 on March 30, 2017, 11:47:52 am
How many stabbings and beatings happen at RRS?  I have never seen violence at the games I have been to, so why would there be if people had guns that you couldn't see?
I haven't seen anything at DWR but War Memorial is another story smh

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on March 30, 2017, 12:28:51 pm
I haven't seen anything at DWR but War Memorial is another story smh
You must have wandered east of War Memorial. Some of the worst crime area in the United States is just east and south of the zoo.

cityhog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 30, 2017, 12:27:24 pm
I agree, but what is the point of taking on more problems ?  I knew a LEFTY would take the bait and here comes the first bite. U.S. Citizens are allowed to be here. They were born here or the law says they have a right to be here. The other 16% is unnecessary because they shouldn't be here in the first place.
How far back do we go then in regards to who has a right to be here? One generation? Two? Three? I know a lot of people's grandparents who'd be up s creek because they weren't born here, and never really bothered to learn English. Of course, they're white and Polish or German or Norwegian. And I'm as middle of the road as they come. You know, 'the ignored majority'.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 30, 2017, 12:14:23 pm
Great, just great!
Yeppers, and you know they are going to squeeze as much blood out of this one as possible.

BadHog

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on March 30, 2017, 08:38:43 am
It pisses me off because other states, especially outside of the south think Arkansas are dumb, tobacco spittin, gun shootin, country hicks........and situations like this don't help our case in any way

I'm beginning to believe that the perception is accurate!
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: cityhog on March 30, 2017, 12:32:41 pm
How far back do we go then in regards to who has a right to be here? One generation? Two? Three? I know a lot of people's grandparents who'd be up s creek because they weren't born here, and never really bothered to learn English. Of course, they're white and Polish or German or Norwegian. And I'm as middle of the road as they come. You know, 'the ignored majority'.
Don't get stupid. Yet another snowflake who's white guilt is turning him into a pellet of sleet. Watch out now, if your heart bleeds anymore you'll turn into a rain drop and just wash away.

BadHog

I'm so sick of these freaking lobbyist organizations - NRA and the like. 

cityhog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 30, 2017, 12:37:48 pm
Don't get stupid. Yet another snowflake who's white guilt is turning him into a pellet of sleet. Watch out now, if your heart bleeds anymore you'll turn into a rain drop and just wash away.
Not a snowflake. Just someone capable of seeing hypocrisy and calling it out.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on March 30, 2017, 12:20:18 pm
they want the scoop while its still a scoop

hogcard1964

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on March 30, 2017, 12:42:39 pm
they want the scoop while its still a scoop

Finebaum and Josh May made complete jackass^s out of themselves yesterday in regards to this.  Finebaum actually stated our membership in the SEC was at stake.

hogcard1964

Quote from: cityhog on March 30, 2017, 12:32:41 pm

If you're born here, you have the right to be here.  I don't agree with it, but that is the law.  Other than that, nobody has "a right" to be here.

BadHog

jneal56

Quote from: cityhog on March 30, 2017, 12:20:14 pm

84%
16%

I understand what you're saying but you failed to recognize one thing. What percentage of people in America are Non-U.S. Citizens/Unknown as stated in the 16%? If it is below 16% then you can see where there is cause for alarm for the Non-U.S./Unknown.

And as someone stated below, how far back to we go? Well I'm 1/4 Native to this land, or so they say we are native. According to some, the Native Americans migrated here as well so are there really any such Native Americans?
"At least we are moral"

BadHog

Quote from: Svrdhd on March 30, 2017, 12:22:46 pm
North Carolina has voted that men can't use the women's restroom and vice/versa (as part of rejecting LGBT protections via NC HB2) so the NCAA, NBA, and ACC have pulled several tournements, meetings, and activities from North Carolina. It is projected to cost them billions over the next several years.
  This is a relatively esoteric 'discrimination' issue in NC, what we could have is more dire and could be considered a 'safety' issue. If you were a referee or opposing coach in front of an unhappy home crowd, would you want to become a potential target to a couple thousand hotheads with guns? I wouldn't.

NC beats us on the basketball court but by damn we will beat them in stupidity!

hog of steele

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: cityhog on March 30, 2017, 12:41:52 pm
Not a snowflake. Just someone capable of seeing hypocrisy and calling it out.
Where's the hypocrisy ?  You called nothing out but your ignorance on the subject. The groups of people. mostly people from Nordic parts of Europe assimilated quicker from the middle 1800's to the early 1900's. By the way my grandparents and their immediate family, who farmed cotton in the hot Rio Grande in South Texas, full blooded German and every single one of the males who were of age signed up to fight the Nazi's. Now how's that for assimilation, Mr. Knows Hypocrisy When He See's It ? And my grandfather was the only one allowed to speak a word of German, everyone else was disciplined if they spoke anything but English. My grandparents, grandparents were the one's who came to America in the late 1800's.

The Boar War

They'll probably begin the segment with a view of a trailer and a soybean field in Eudora while talking about guns in Razorback Stadium.

Justifiable Hogicide

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on March 30, 2017, 12:21:04 pm
The media hasn't waited on facts in over 10 years.
They passed on a law (overwhelmingly) through two houses of our legislature and the governor signed it.  Now they are crawdadding.  They made their bed.  Unfortunately we all have to lie in it.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 30, 2017, 12:45:47 pm
Finebaum and Josh May made complete jackass^s out of themselves yesterday in regards to this.  Finebaum actually stated our membership in the SEC was at stake.

No, but the NCAA may not allow regionals and tournaments to be held in Arkansas. No baseball, track, NCAA Tournament, etc.

Athog

Quote from: gdumont on March 29, 2017, 11:07:34 pm
Bret Bielema is concerned about the safety of his players if Senate Bill 724 doesn't pass on Thursday. How do you feel about the latest amendment to the concealed carry laws?

http://www.nwahomepage.com/razorback-nation/sb-724-could-exempt-athletic-facilities-from-concealed-carry/682805925
[/quote

I agree. This is the most assine issue the athletic
Department has had to face!!

NaturalStateReb

"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Ironhawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 30, 2017, 11:57:41 am

I've been out of touch.  Is the legislature going to do the right thing and fix this deal or are they going to destroy Arkansas sports?

PonderinHog

Quote from: The Boar War on March 30, 2017, 12:58:36 pm
They'll probably begin the segment with a view of a trailer and a soybean field in Eudora while talking about guns in Razorback Stadium.
State Capitol.   It was a good piece.  Not sensationalist in the least.

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 30, 2017, 12:45:47 pm

Yeah that BS about the SEC was ridiculous. SEC will say they've don't like it to ensure the state legislature passes the exception law. Then it is over.