Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For the love of everything holy, can we please just beat the Texas A&M Aggies?

Started by NuttinItUp, March 27, 2017, 12:13:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

NuttinItUp

I am so tired of losing to the Aggies every year for the last 5 years straight. It has been a psychological thorn in my side for half a decade now, and I am tired of it.

No matter what type of team or season we have this year, can we just get the monkey off our back on this one game?

PLEASE??!?!

Go Hogs Go.   :razorback: :razorback:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkansas%E2%80%93Texas_A%26M_football_rivalry

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

The most disappointing thing is the fact that we have given the game away every year since bielema has been here. I hope this season they show that they are able to close out games
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

BigSexyHog

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on March 27, 2017, 07:29:11 am
The most disappointing thing is the fact that we have given the game away every year since bielema has been here. I hope this season they show that they are able to close out games

It has happened alot. 
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Pigsknuckles

I remember the aTm game threads when "Fire Willy" was the MMQB first half post du jour. Somehow though we managed to pull a rabbit out of the hat in the end.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

King Kong

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on March 27, 2017, 08:36:21 am
I remember the aTm game threads when "Fire Willy" was the MMQB first half post du jour. Somehow though we managed to pull a rabbit out of the hat in the end.

Yeah, I remember CBP going to Willy and telling him to put Ross Rasner in. It work and Tyler had a heck of a day

JayBell

It wouldn't be so bad if Arkansas didn't let A&M off the hook every time.  They legit should have beaten them each of the last four years.

It's a weird dynamic for Bielema who has fared better against Ole Miss and LSU than A&M and Mississippi State.  He finally got over some hoodoo last year with wins over Florida and MSU.  Hopefully he can finally do it next year with A&M and Alabama (far less likely).

hogcard1964

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on March 27, 2017, 07:29:11 am

+1000

It's disgusting.

jkstock04

The 1 yard line no go by our O-line last year was in my opinion the defining moment of the season. That goal line sequence dictated the direction of the season. What's funny is when A&M beats us the excuse train comes rolling in that they are absolutely, without a doubt a legit top 10 team lol. Then of course they fizzle out to nothingness by the seasons end.

I'm sick of losing to them also.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: JayBell on March 27, 2017, 08:59:11 am
It wouldn't be so bad if Arkansas didn't let A&M off the hook every time.  They legit should have beaten them each of the last four years.

It's a weird dynamic for Bielema who has fared better against Ole Miss and LSU than A&M and Mississippi State.  He finally got over some hoodoo last year with wins over Florida and MSU.  Hopefully he can finally do it next year with A&M and Alabama (far less likely).

4 year recap. And these are just the big plays that led to scores, not ALL big plays allowed.

1st Drive: 49 yard pass
2nd Drive: 14 & 20 yard pass and Manziel 20 yard scramble.
4th Drive: 2 RB rushes for 31 yards and 2 Manziel scrambles for 27 yards.
3rd Qtr: A&M makes a Pick 6.
8th Drive: 3 rushes by RB's for 42 yards.
10th Drive: Starting at their own 43, 2 RB rushes for 41 yards.
Final Score: A&M 45 Arkansas 33

1st Drive: After a KO Ret of 51 yards to the Ark 49, on 2nd and 4 at the Ark 43 we get called for Illegal Use of the Hands, actually costs us 21 yards. 1st and 10 at our 22. 13 yard run for TD.
5th Drive: 3rd and 10 at A&M 46, A&M incompletion, Ark Off-Sides, 5 yard penalty. Hill scrambles 10 yards for a 1st down.
5th Drive: A&M run of 24 yards and 1 completion for 12 yards.
10th Drive: 1 play, 1 completion for 86 yards and 6 points.
13th Drive: 2 plays, 2 completions for 73 yards and 6 points.
OT: 1 play, rush for 25 yards for 6 points.
Final Score: A&M 35 Arkansas 28

2nd Drive: 3 passes for 91 yards, 6 points.
3rd Drive: 2 passes for 86 yards, FG made, 3 points.
8th Drive: 1 pass for 63 yards, drive ends in a TD, 6 points. A&M ties game with 2:50 remaining, 21-21.
OT: A&M 2 plays, 25 yards, 6 points.
Final Score: A&M 28 Arkansas 21

1st Drive: After running the KO back 42 yards, A&M starts at their own 42. 1 RB run of 27 yards. FG 3 pts.
3rd Drive: After recovering a Reed fumble, A&M takes over at their own 49 yard line. 2 runs for 51 yards, 6 points.
5th Drive: Pinned at their 1 yard line, 3rd and 7 at their own 4, incomplete pass but Personal Foul on Ark gives A&M a first down at their own 19.
5th Drive: 2 rushes for 56 yards, drive ends in a FG, 3 points.
6th Drive: 1 pass for 17 yards and 3 runs for 60 yards. 6 points.
8th Drive: 1 play, 1 pass, 92 yards for a TD. 6 points.
9th Drive: 3rd and 2 at A&M 49, incompletion, Def Pass Interference, 15 yard penalty, 1st down A&M.
9th Drive: 2 runs for 47 yards, TD, 6 points.
10th Drive: After recovering an Arkansas fumble, A&M begins at the Ark 15. 3 plays, TD, 6 points.
11th Drive: After recovering a failed onside kick, A&M starts at their own 48. 3 plays, 52 yards, TD, 6 points.
Final Score: A&M 45 Arkansas 24

Big plays allowed. Knock out the big plays allowed and we have a different story all 4 years. I am rooting for Paul Rhoads and the Defense.
Go Hogs Go!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: NuttinItUp on March 27, 2017, 12:13:28 am
I am so tired of losing to the Aggies every year for the last 5 years straight. It has been a psychological thorn in my side for half a decade now, and I am tired of it.

No matter what type of team or season we have this year, can we just get the monkey off our back on this one game?

PLEASE??!?!

I have absolutely no doubt that Hog fans everywhere most definitely feel the same way. Obviously what's been most frustrating is that each of the last four or five years we've pretty much had the games well in well into the fourth quarter. Haven't been able to finally close the deal. Sooner or later (better be the former) we will close it out against those clowns.

B501

hogcard1964

I want to start beating the team's we should be beating on a regular basis.  I.e. ...Missouri, Kentucky, Texas A&M, South Carolina, Ole Miss, Miss St, Vanderbilt...a few others...

We should be beating these teams 9 out of 10 times.

NuttinItUp

NuttinItUp

DeltaBoy

Amen losing to the Aggies when I married into a family of them is unbearable.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HogMantheIntruder

PLEASE??!?!

Well.... Ok, as long as you finish your chores.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

JOKERHOG

PLEASE??!?!

It was the other way around until the motorcyle accident.  They were disappointed every year and desperate for a win in the series.

BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

MuskogeeHogFan

Don't kid yourself Joker, A&M improved their talent on the field.

2007-2011: 9 NFL Draftees

2012-2016: 17 NFL Draftees

Bielema has faced almost twice the NFL talent on the field that BP did vs. A&M and except for big plays allowed, has had a chance to beat them almost every year.
Go Hogs Go!

Jackrabbit Hog

I will pull for the Hogs to beat the idiot Aggies as hard as I possibly can this season - only this time it will be from my couch instead of a seat at JerryWorld for the first time in four years.  We've been so frustrated and mad when we left that place the last three years, we vowed to stay home this year just to see if it would change the Hogs' luck.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

WaltKowalski

Whats so wierd is no matter how many times we lose that game I have never felt they were a better program or team. Its like I know there will be a regression to the mean and they will still be fighting for relevance in Texas. 

lasthog

The aggie thing is terrible to bear, almost as bad as when we kept getting beat by the post-death penalty SMU.

That sucked.

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

ChicoHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 27, 2017, 05:28:28 pm

Bielema has faced almost twice the NFL talent on the field that BP did vs. A&M and except for big plays allowed, has had a chance to beat them almost every year.
Good point.  Still like the OP said this is the one game I want to win more than any other. 

Polecat

Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: lasthog on March 27, 2017, 07:40:17 pm
The aggie thing is terrible to bear, almost as bad as when we kept getting beat by the post-death penalty SMU.

That sucked.

And Memphis State during that same era.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

GoHogzzGo

Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ChicoHog on March 27, 2017, 11:56:15 pm
Good point.  Still like the OP said this is the one game I want to win more than any other. 

The good news is that A&M loses their top 4 receivers that accounted for over 2,000 yards at 15.6 yards per catch and 15 TD's from last year.

They also lose Trevor Knight and his mobility and both of their starting OT's.

Additionally they lose 2 starting LB's, a DT and 2 DE's including Daeshon Hall and Myles Garrett. Their Secondary remains intact.
Go Hogs Go!

NuttinItUp

From what I have heard, a portion of the fanbase is turning on Sumlin at A&M, which I find ludicrous since he is the main reason they are winning consistently now.

Sed76

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on March 27, 2017, 06:03:25 pm
I will pull for the Hogs to beat the idiot Aggies as hard as I possibly can this season - only this time it will be from my couch instead of a seat at JerryWorld for the first time in four years.  We've been so frustrated and mad when we left that place the last three years, we vowed to stay home this year just to see if it would change the Hogs' luck.

I am almost to that point. It gets old spending a fortune on tickets, hotels, gas, concessions, etc to go watch your team choke leads year after year. Last year was terrible, even though sitting in the Arkansas section was surrounded by obnoxious Aggie fans.

jcbville

Seriously. The.  Most. Annoying. Loss. Every. Season.

Mizz and the Bowl this past season tied for strong 2nd.

Muskogee just mentioned what A&M will lose from last years team, personnel wise.  Of course, for us to lose that many quality players is a built in excuse to lose.  Is it for the Aggies?  We usually play the Aggies too early n the season to be at our best and we jerk defeat from the jaws of victory.  This is a game we need for the mental state of the program.  Hope we get it.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: NuttinItUp on March 28, 2017, 03:37:37 pm
From what I have heard, a portion of the fanbase is turning on Sumlin at A&M, which I find ludicrous since he is the main reason they are winning consistently now.

I imagine that they are given their underachievement in terms of wins compared to the recruiting rankings.

From 2007-2011 their average ranked class was #27.2.

From 2012-2016 their average ranked class was #11.8, with two top 10 classes in those 5 years.

With all that talent on hand, Sumlin keeps failing to deliver.
Go Hogs Go!

ChicoHog

Quote from: NuttinItUp on March 28, 2017, 03:37:37 pm
I think they are winning in spite of Sumlin, not because of him. 

ChicoHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 28, 2017, 12:56:14 pm
The good news is that A&M loses their top 4 receivers that accounted for over 2,000 yards at 15.6 yards per catch and 15 TD's from last year.

They also lose Trevor Knight and his mobility and both of their starting OT's.

Additionally they lose 2 starting LB's, a DT and 2 DE's including Daeshon Hall and Myles Garrett. Their Secondary remains intact.
Christian Kirk is back, right?  Wasn't he just a freshman last year?  He is their most dynamic player and also good on special teams.  I thought for sure he was one of their top receivers. 

moses_007

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ChicoHog on March 29, 2017, 12:51:49 am
Christian Kirk is back, right?  Wasn't he just a freshman last year?  He is their most dynamic player and also good on special teams.  I thought for sure he was one of their top receivers. 

Yes, he returns. What I meant to say was 4 of their top receivers and Kirk was certainly one of the top 5. #2 in fact.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: moses_007 on March 29, 2017, 12:59:22 am
Petrino's Hogs ALWAYS beat the Aggies.

Go Hogs Go!

NuttinItUp

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 28, 2017, 05:45:04 pm
I imagine that they are given their underachievement in terms of wins compared to the recruiting rankings.

From 2007-2011 their average ranked class was #27.2.

From 2012-2016 their average ranked class was #11.8, with two top 10 classes in those 5 years.

With all that talent on hand, Sumlin keeps failing to deliver.

So he drastically upgraded their recruiting. I fail to see a problem (from their perspective) with him doing that.

goodguytex

Yep. This is Bielemas best chance to beat the Aggies. Big wildcard is John chavis and the magic he can make happen with a defense. That and Christian Kirk. But yeah, if our defense is much improved, and can get to their new QB, put him on his butt a lot, we should beat them. Our offense should be dynamic enough to move the ball on them.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: NuttinItUp on March 29, 2017, 10:18:36 am
So he drastically upgraded their recruiting. I fail to see a problem (from their perspective) with him doing that.

2016: 8-5, 2015: 8-5, 2014: 8-5, 2013: 9-4

With classes that average top 12 with 2 top 10 classes mixed in there.

If we had recruiting classes stacked up like that and had only won 9 games once in the last 4 years, the torches and pitch forks would be out. They darned near are out now and we don't have anywhere near the quality of talent of those classes on our campus.

Go Hogs Go!

hogcard1964

Quote from: goodguytex on March 29, 2017, 10:33:11 am
Yep. This is Bielemas best chance to beat the Aggies. Big wildcard is John chavis and the magic he can make happen with a defense. That and Christian Kirk. But yeah, if our defense is much improved, and can get to their new QB, put him on his butt a lot, we should beat them. Our offense should be dynamic enough to move the ball on them.

It's a sad state of affairs that we're having trouble with a program (Texas A & M) that is also stagnate and has actually regressed under Sumlin.  His first year at A & M was solid and after that, he's kind of suc^ed. 

FWIW, I think Sumlin will be canned before Bret will.

woodhog14

Quote from: moses_007 on March 29, 2017, 12:59:22 am
Petrino's Hogs ALWAYS beat the Aggies.

Texas A&M also wasn't as good as they are now when Petrino was here.

2009: 6-7
2010: 9-4
2011: 7-6

hogcard1964

Quote from: woodhog14 on March 29, 2017, 12:08:09 pm

They're not world beaters now, and haven't been in 4 years.

woodhog14

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 29, 2017, 12:19:09 pm
They're not world beaters now, and haven't been in 4 years.

Didn't say they were, but they are better than they were from 2009-2011.

RazorWest

Quote from: woodhog14 on March 29, 2017, 12:08:09 pm

A&M got better and Hogs got worse

RazorWest

Hogs
2007 - 2011: 15 NFL Draftees
2012-2016: 22 NFL Draftees

Don't we have more talent with that logic?

hogcard1964

Quote from: woodhog14 on March 29, 2017, 12:35:19 pm
Didn't say they were, but they are better than they were from 2009-2011.

If they are, it's not by much.  I think they've been in the area of 8-5 the past several seasons.

Hogtimes

Quote from: WaltKowalski on March 27, 2017, 06:55:01 pm
Whats so wierd is no matter how many times we lose that game I have never felt they were a better program or team. Its like I know there will be a regression to the mean and they will still be fighting for relevance in Texas. 

I will get hammered for saying this....but IMO we do not have a better program or team.  That is the problem

hogcard1964

Quote from: Hogtimes on March 29, 2017, 02:11:14 pm
I will get hammered for saying this....but IMO we do not have a better program or team.  That is the problem

How so?

I believe we hold a pretty lop sided edge in our lifetime series against them.