Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A few thoughts on the game and next season

Started by Stewhog 11, March 19, 2017, 08:31:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Stewhog 11

1. North Carolina played the best 3 minutes of defense that you could possibly play to finish the game. That's why we couldn't do anything. Barford dribbled for 20 seconds on one of those late possessions, but not because he wanted to. He was looking for a drive, for an open teammate, neither were available. Our offense looked inept, but that is way more because of their defense than anything. When we do that to other teams, it's because we turned up the heat and forced bad offense. That's what they did.

2. As soon as the game ended, I wondered if the national media would make a big deal about the calls late like they have for our previous two games. According to what I've seen on twitter, they have. I have seen a lot from media members that are relatively neutral as far as Ark or UNC fans, who have said the game was officiated horribly down the stretch. A lot of people calling it a "program" call. Doesn't mean much but nice to see none the less.

3. The main point of the post is about how this will impact the program in the future. I have been of the belief all season that if everyone comes back next year that can (everyone but the three seniors really) that we can be really good next year. Like really good. The problem is that in recent history, that has almost never happened. Between players going pro who didn't get drafted, and young players transferring for various reasons, it's been a problem we have been continuously dealing with. As far as players going pro, main threats of that are Barford and Macon, I have been nervous that at least one of them would not return. My point is, I think how this game and ultimately this season played out, is the scenario that would maximize the probability of them coming back. If we hadn't turned things around in the last month and missed the tourney, a guy like Barford might not want to spend another year in college and go ahead and take his chances overseas. If we had won tonight, made the sweet 16, maybe even elite 8, they might feel fully accomplished, and attempt to use the attention to launch their pro careers. However, this scenario shows how close they are and this team is to being competitive on the national stage, but at the end of the day, it was only a round of 32 finish. (I say "only" in comparison of what it almost was, not in comparison to recent program history because it's without a doubt a good season) Hopefully that feeling of "almost" is enough motivation for them to try to really make a statement next season.

I think that is one of the last steps to take in being a fully developed and prominent program. Convincing players that could probably make money to play basketball somewhere, to stick around see what they can accomplish at their school.

Dr. Starcs

BigSexyHog

If Macon or Barford go pro it will be a big mistake.  Just don't see them being drafted in round 1 but who knows.  Getting paid to play ball is getting paid to play ball no matter what level.  Just interested in seeing how the 3 new guys come in next year and help. 

We need to replace the following

1.  Lock down Defender
2.  A big in the middle that is a excellent shot blocker/defender
3.  A pure shooter and a leader of the team.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

BayofPigs

Great post. The program will learn from this and hopefully get over the hump next time

LRHawg

Great post. Feels really similar to 2015 when we had a great year but were left wanting more, but Portis and Qualls both left. I hope this time Barford and Macon both choose to stay.

sadhogfan

Quote from: Stewhog 11 on March 19, 2017, 08:31:39 pm
1. North Carolina played the best 3 minutes of defense that you could possibly play to finish the game. That's why we couldn't do anything. Barford dribbled for 20 seconds on one of those late possessions, but not because he wanted to. He was looking for a drive, for an open teammate, neither were available. Our offense looked inept, but that is way more because of their defense than anything. When we do that to other teams, it's because we turned up the heat and forced bad offense. That's what they did.

2. As soon as the game ended, I wondered if the national media would make a big deal about the calls late like they have for our previous two games. According to what I've seen on twitter, they have. I have seen a lot from media members that are relatively neutral as far as Ark or UNC fans, who have said the game was officiated horribly down the stretch. A lot of people calling it a "program" call. Doesn't mean much but nice to see none the less.

3. The main point of the post is about how this will impact the program in the future. I have been of the belief all season that if everyone comes back next year that can (everyone but the three seniors really) that we can be really good next year. Like really good. The problem is that in recent history, that has almost never happened. Between players going pro who didn't get drafted, and young players transferring for various reasons, it's been a problem we have been continuously dealing with. As far as players going pro, main threats of that are Barford and Macon, I have been nervous that at least one of them would not return. My point is, I think how this game and ultimately this season played out, is the scenario that would maximize the probability of them coming back. If we hadn't turned things around in the last month and missed the tourney, a guy like Barford might not want to spend another year in college and go ahead and take his chances overseas. If we had won tonight, made the sweet 16, maybe even elite 8, they might feel fully accomplished, and attempt to use the attention to launch their pro careers. However, this scenario shows how close they are and this team is to being competitive on the national stage, but at the end of the day, it was only a round of 32 finish. (I say "only" in comparison of what it almost was, not in comparison to recent program history because it's without a doubt a good season) Hopefully that feeling of "almost" is enough motivation for them to try to really make a statement next season.

I think that is one of the last steps to take in being a fully developed and prominent program. Convincing players that could probably make money to play basketball somewhere, to stick around see what they can accomplish at their school.

Good thoughts here.

WorfHog

Quote from: Stewhog 11 on March 19, 2017, 08:31:39 pm

The whole thing only sends the message to young men that if they expect to get "program" calls they BETTER BE at "program" schools. Time for a few more "business" decisions.

#It'sRIGGED

tophawg19

UNC was allowed to mug the ball handlers in the last 4 minutes . At the 3.00 minute mark , they only had 3 fouls . PURE BS
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

LRHawg

Quote from: WorfHog on March 19, 2017, 08:58:58 pm
The whole thing only sends the message to young men that if they expect to get "program" calls they BETTER BE at "program" schools. Time for a few more "business" decisions.

#It'sRIGGED

Good point.

luke hawg

This is a spot on post. We need kids to stay and improve their skills instead of bolting early for overseas. If you look at the more successful programs, they are accomplishing this. We shouldn't lose anyone off this team that isn't graduating. In the past we usually lose key parts of our team in this situation.

jry04

Quote from: BigSexyHog on March 19, 2017, 08:39:43 pm
If Macon or Barford go pro it will be a big mistake.  Just don't see them being drafted in round 1 but who knows.  Getting paid to play ball is getting paid to play ball no matter what level.  Just interested in seeing how the 3 new guys come in next year and help. 

We need to replace the following

1.  Lock down Defender
2.  A big in the middle that is a excellent shot blocker/defender
3.  A pure shooter and a leader of the team.
They certainly will not be drafted in round 1, because they wouldn't be drafted at all.

Stewhog 11

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 19, 2017, 09:03:42 pm
UNC was allowed to mug the ball handlers in the last 4 minutes . At the 3.00 minute mark , they only had 3 fouls . PURE BS

To be honest I didn't see anything wrong with their defense at the end. Just played really well. Macon's tipped air ball and the no call charge/walk were both egregious, but their defense was solid. Again I don't think it looked unlike our half court pressure defense when we are at our best. I'm sure the other team's fans think we're fouling them too.

Stewhog 11

Barford or Macon would neither get drafted coming out this year, but don't use that to assume they wouldn't go anyway. BJ Young, Marshawn Powell, Michael Qualls, all left with eligibility left and didn't get drafted. Often in today's age players leave knowing they won't get drafted. The NBA is no longer the goal for a lot of guys. Just getting a paycheck. The point I tried to make in "point 3." of the OP is that hopefully the state of Razorback Basketball is more attractive to want to return to than it used to be. It's hard to blame guys like Young and Powell too much because even if they come back, they're still on a bubble team. The difference now is that Barford and Macon have a legitimate opportunity to come back to a contender. A wire to wire top 25 team who when hot is as dangerous as anyone.

luke hawg

Quote from: Stewhog 11 on March 19, 2017, 09:19:01 pm
Barford or Macon would neither get drafted coming out this year, but don't use that to assume they wouldn't go anyway. BJ Young, Marshawn Powell, Michael Qualls, all left with eligibility left and didn't get drafted. Often in today's age players leave knowing they won't get drafted. The NBA is no longer the goal for a lot of guys. Just getting a paycheck. The point I tried to make in "point 3." of the OP is that hopefully the state of Razorback Basketball is more attractive to want to return to than it used to be. It's hard to blame guys like Young and Powell too much because even if they come back, they're still on a bubble team. The difference now is that Barford and Macon have a legitimate opportunity to come back to a contender. A wire to wire top 25 team who when hot is as dangerous as anyone.

It's the biggest problem for the SEC. Professional options overseas that guarantee a 6 figure payday. I mean no one other than Kentucky with the one and done sales pitch has made the final four since Florida run.