Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How do YOU think Arkansas' football season will go in 17-18..?

Started by OneTuskOverTheLine™, March 18, 2017, 04:45:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

How do YOU think Arkansas' football season will go in 17-18..?

Arkansas will win a Natty baby..!
9 (2.8%)
Arkansas wil 10+ games..!
24 (7.4%)
Arkansas Will win 7-9 games..!
235 (72.3%)
Arkansas will win 6...
34 (10.5%)
Arkansas will be LUCKY to win 6...
14 (4.3%)
Frito pie taste like crap...
0 (0%)
Frito pie is Da Bomb...
5 (1.5%)
I don't know or care. I just want to point out how stupid everyone else is regardless of their pick.
4 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 323

Voting closed: March 28, 2017, 04:45:59 pm

Mike_e

Back in their glory days Miami used to make a living off of D linemen converting to O linemen.

You guys didn't mention (that I recall, I'm not going to reread the whole thread) the fact that we had a new O line coach.  It takes a good while to get a lineman up to speed in the same system but having to learn new techniques and all from a new coach who also expects different things out of you takes time as well.

I look for a better result from the O line this year and even better the year after.   We should see consistency from next year on baring a major rash of injuries or coaching change.

One thing that makes me optimistic for next year is (from what I've heard) the fire in CPR and how much the players like him.  The lack of fire in the team is the main reason we didn't get to 10 wins last year.  We played football in the first halves and patsy in the seconds.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Pork Twain

Quote from: HamSammich on March 20, 2017, 07:27:18 pm
btw... a real poll doesn't have exact wins and one option that's a range that is sure to be the popular pick. Garbage.
Here, I did it for you

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=632227.0
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hogsanity

I think it goes like most seasons, 7-9 wins, a bowl, and a lot of wailing and nashing of teeth by fans who just can not understand why the Hogs can not win more games, even though, on average, this has been a 7-8 win program for half a century.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogcard1964

Quote from: hogsanity on March 21, 2017, 10:13:08 am
I think it goes like most seasons, 7-9 wins, a bowl, and a lot of wailing and nashing of teeth by fans who just can not understand why the Hogs can not win more games, even though, on average, this has been a 7-8 win program for half a century.

+1000

Since 1975 we've averaged 7.3 wins per year.  We've had a few periods of high water during this time, but it's silly to portray us, or think that we're anything more than a mediocre program.

Hell, if you go all they way back to the modern era-1946, post WW II, our average falls off to 6.9.  There were less games at that time, but that's still fairly bad.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 21, 2017, 10:42:01 am
+1000

Since 1975 we've averaged 7.3 wins per year.  We've had a few periods of high water during this time, but it's silly to portray us, or think that we're anything more than a mediocre program.

Hell, if you go all they way back to the modern era-1946, post WW II, our average falls off to 6.9.  There were less games at that time, but that's still fairly bad.

I think that how well we do will be determined by whether or not we have actually recruited better defensive talent that can perform at a high level within the 3-4 scheme. I'm not worried about the offense. It's the quality of the defense that will determine whether we remain in the 7 to 9 win area or can move beyond that to 10 or more wins.
Go Hogs Go!

colbs

Besides DL & WR you would think every position would improve.  At WR although they lost their 2 best WR the underclassmen are probably more talented than Keon or Drew.  They just don't have the experience yet.  Kind of the same for the DL.  They lose a lot of experience but there is a lot of talented players waiting to step up.  Agim should continue to get better.  Austin Capps played last year as a true freshmen and also should take a big step forward next year. Briston Guidry would have played last year if he didn't get hurt.  All 3 of those players were big time coming out of HS.

The OL should look a lot better next year.  The running game and Austin should only get better with another year and the OL improving.  The LBs get Greenlaw back plus Harris is only getting better.  The secondary I suspect will improve as they bring almost everyone back plus get a couple guys back that got hurt last year.  Also, they added a great secondary class.  I figure a couple of those players will be able to help.  Sprinkle was hurt most of the year and no other TE really established themselves until later in the season.  With Cantrell and O'Grady stepping up late plus adding Patton the TE position should be a lot deeper

GuvHog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 21, 2017, 10:42:01 am
+1000

Back in the 60's and 70's though, they only played 10 regular season games a year so winning 7 to 8 games a year was much more acceptable to the fans. Now, since they are playing 12 regular season games per year, 6 to 7 wins per year with an occasional 8 win season is no longer acceptable. Things have changed since back then.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

FANONTHEHILL

I posted this in another thread, but it applies here as well.  I've copied and pasted it here:

I always find it interesting that people sit in front of their computers in the middle of March and declare that anything less than 10 wins means that the coaching staff is incompetent and/or the players aren't doing the right off season program and Herbert doesn't know what he's doing.  Everyone wants success. Everyone was unhappy with the way the last two games of 2016 went.  But you have to take a long look at who Arkansas is and what is the baseline on which you base your expectations.  I have said many times that I believe that Arkansas is a program that should expect 8-9 wins per year.  Anything else is a major disappointment.   2016 was a disappointment.  An 8-9 win program can have a breakdown or two and finish with 6-7 wins.  A major disappointment.  When you get the breaks, that can be 10-11 wins.  It is all very fluid. 

So what is Arkansas' history.  Since joining the SEC in 1992, Arkansas has won 9 or more games 6 times.  That includes 10 wins in 2006 and 2010, as well as 11 wins in 2011.  So in 25 years, Arkansas has double digit wins 3 times.  Despite that fact, people think that should be the expectation every year.  I will agree, the team should plan and practice to go out and win every game.  I know for a fact that they do that.  The reality of the situation is simply that life in the SEC is hard.  Anyone who allows them self to be miserable because Arkansas doesn't win 10 games every year is going to have a depressing life. 

I'm a fan.  Always have been and always will be.  I like most, believe that the final record is what people remember after each season.  But I believe that it's more than that.  Did players give their best and prepare in every way they could to succeed?  If the players take the game plan, follow " The Edges" that are the doctrine of the program, and stay mentally focused on the plan, they will have a chance to win every game they play.  Last season, the plan was not always sound.  Players were asked to do things that they weren't physically able to do.  That's Minnesota's problem now.  Arkansas won 7 games last year and lost 5.  Alabama was better, but giving up 49 is not acceptable.  LSU has amazing athletes, but not 38-10 better athletes.  Those two loses bother me, but don't eat at me.  Texas A&M, Auburn, Missouri, and Virginia Tech on the other hand were total breakdowns.  I feel the A&M loss was more poor defensive scheme.  Auburn was poor scheme as well, but there was a mental breakdown in that game as well.  Missouri and Virginia Tech were without doubt a lack of mental toughness.  I was on the 6th row behind the bench in Charlotte and could hear the coaches in the player's ears.  "Stick to the plan", "they are making the adjustments we talked about", and so on.  I know that we don't bash players here, but since I raised one of them I feel like I have a little leeway.  The players allowed the situation to overwhelm them in the last two losses.  That cannot happen.

The off season workouts have an added element this spring.  There are more fast paced, perform under pressure when fatigued competitions.  The mat drills they do every Tuesday have been tough.  My son has told me that the Tuesday workouts were in his opinion and the opinion of his teammates, "the hardest thing I've physically ever done".  Being a father and a fan my reply was, "Good! Watching Auburn, A&M, Mizzou, and VT was one of the hardest things your fan base has ever done." 

We as fans were upset with last year, but we aren't the team.   It was their pride that was hurt.  I took my sons to the Chiefs/Steelers playoff game in KC on January 15th.  We were in a restaurant and my younger son and I were wearing Razorback jackets.  A guy waiting for a table that was from Pittsburgh saw the jacket and asked about what happened at the bowl game.  I told him to wait a minute.  My son got back from the bathroom and I told him the man had a question for him.  I told the guy "this young man could answer the question better than I could, he's a Razorback player."  I did that for two reasons.  One was to see the look on the guys face.  It was priceless by the way.  The other was to show my son how people all over the country are watching.  He and his friends need to know how everything they do is watched.  Take pride in things you do right and face the critics when you don't live up to expectations.  It's part of becoming an adult.  I don't know how many games they will win this fall.  But I do know this.  They are working hard.  They have a head coach that they all believe in. An OC and offensive assistants that they respect.  A DC that they would run through a brick wall for and new assistants that have a great understanding of the new defense.  Another point my son pointed out is that you can tell every player on the roster is a Bielema recruit.  Everyone is on the same page. No one is late to workouts or meetings.  The focus is better.

As much as the fans pride took a hit, the hit the players and coaches took was much greater.  They realize that.  The team has gotten off the floor and gone back to work.  I have no idea how many games they will win this fall.  But I think we will see a new team this fall with a strong point to make to the fan base, the SEC and the country.  That's why I'd hate to Florida A&M on Thursday, August 31st.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

hogcard1964

Quote from: GuvHog on March 22, 2017, 09:49:08 am
Back in the 60's and 70's though, they only played 10 regular season games a year so winning 7 to 8 games a year was much more acceptable to the fans. Now, since they are playing 12 regular season games per year, 6 to 7 wins per year with an occasional 8 win season is no longer acceptable. Things have changed since back then.

True, but you have to accept the fact that we're not a dominate program and really never have been.  To expect the Hogs to consistently win in double digits is a pipe dream.  I think Bielema will undoubtedly win 9 or 10 games eventually.  By sheer luck and probability he's bound to, but he's never going to build us into some sort of perennial power house.

code red

There is a big difference between 7-9 wins.  7 sucks and 9 is awesome.  How can these be grouped?
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

hogcard1964

Quote from: code red on March 22, 2017, 01:37:33 pm
There is a big difference between 7-9 wins.  7 sucks and 9 is awesome acceptable.  How can these be grouped?

fify

PorkSoda

Quote from: code red on March 22, 2017, 01:37:33 pm
There is a big difference between 7-9 wins.  7 average and 9 is good  How can these be grouped?
FIFY

10+ is awesome 6- sucks

Honestly, to me 8 wins should be the bench mark.  We should win our non conference games and go .500 in conference.  more than that is a good year, less than that is sub par.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

TheRazorback500

Do you wanna get Rocked?

j-mann

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on March 22, 2017, 09:55:55 am
I posted this in another thread, but it applies here as well.  I've copied and pasted it here:

I always find it interesting that people sit in front of their computers in the middle of March and declare that anything less than 10 wins means that the coaching staff is incompetent and/or the players aren't doing the right off season program and Herbert doesn't know what he's doing.  Everyone wants success. Everyone was unhappy with the way the last two games of 2016 went.  But you have to take a long look at who Arkansas is and what is the baseline on which you base your expectations.  I have said many times that I believe that Arkansas is a program that should expect 8-9 wins per year.  Anything else is a major disappointment.   2016 was a disappointment.  An 8-9 win program can have a breakdown or two and finish with 6-7 wins.  A major disappointment.  When you get the breaks, that can be 10-11 wins.  It is all very fluid. 

So what is Arkansas' history.  Since joining the SEC in 1992, Arkansas has won 9 or more games 6 times.  That includes 10 wins in 2006 and 2010, as well as 11 wins in 2011.  So in 25 years, Arkansas has double digit wins 3 times.  Despite that fact, people think that should be the expectation every year.  I will agree, the team should plan and practice to go out and win every game.  I know for a fact that they do that.  The reality of the situation is simply that life in the SEC is hard.  Anyone who allows them self to be miserable because Arkansas doesn't win 10 games every year is going to have a depressing life. 

I'm a fan.  Always have been and always will be.  I like most, believe that the final record is what people remember after each season.  But I believe that it's more than that.  Did players give their best and prepare in every way they could to succeed?  If the players take the game plan, follow " The Edges" that are the doctrine of the program, and stay mentally focused on the plan, they will have a chance to win every game they play.  Last season, the plan was not always sound.  Players were asked to do things that they weren't physically able to do.  That's Minnesota's problem now.  Arkansas won 7 games last year and lost 5.  Alabama was better, but giving up 49 is not acceptable.  LSU has amazing athletes, but not 38-10 better athletes.  Those two loses bother me, but don't eat at me.  Texas A&M, Auburn, Missouri, and Virginia Tech on the other hand were total breakdowns.  I feel the A&M loss was more poor defensive scheme.  Auburn was poor scheme as well, but there was a mental breakdown in that game as well.  Missouri and Virginia Tech were without doubt a lack of mental toughness.  I was on the 6th row behind the bench in Charlotte and could hear the coaches in the player's ears.  "Stick to the plan", "they are making the adjustments we talked about", and so on.  I know that we don't bash players here, but since I raised one of them I feel like I have a little leeway.  The players allowed the situation to overwhelm them in the last two losses.  That cannot happen.

The off season workouts have an added element this spring.  There are more fast paced, perform under pressure when fatigued competitions.  The mat drills they do every Tuesday have been tough.  My son has told me that the Tuesday workouts were in his opinion and the opinion of his teammates, "the hardest thing I've physically ever done".  Being a father and a fan my reply was, "Good! Watching Auburn, A&M, Mizzou, and VT was one of the hardest things your fan base has ever done." 

We as fans were upset with last year, but we aren't the team.   It was their pride that was hurt.  I took my sons to the Chiefs/Steelers playoff game in KC on January 15th.  We were in a restaurant and my younger son and I were wearing Razorback jackets.  A guy waiting for a table that was from Pittsburgh saw the jacket and asked about what happened at the bowl game.  I told him to wait a minute.  My son got back from the bathroom and I told him the man had a question for him.  I told the guy "this young man could answer the question better than I could, he's a Razorback player."  I did that for two reasons.  One was to see the look on the guys face.  It was priceless by the way.  The other was to show my son how people all over the country are watching.  He and his friends need to know how everything they do is watched.  Take pride in things you do right and face the critics when you don't live up to expectations.  It's part of becoming an adult.  I don't know how many games they will win this fall.  But I do know this.  They are working hard.  They have a head coach that they all believe in. An OC and offensive assistants that they respect.  A DC that they would run through a brick wall for and new assistants that have a great understanding of the new defense.  Another point my son pointed out is that you can tell every player on the roster is a Bielema recruit.  Everyone is on the same page. No one is late to workouts or meetings.  The focus is better.

As much as the fans pride took a hit, the hit the players and coaches took was much greater.  They realize that.  The team has gotten off the floor and gone back to work.  I have no idea how many games they will win this fall.  But I think we will see a new team this fall with a strong point to make to the fan base, the SEC and the country.  That's why I'd hate to Florida A&M on Thursday, August 31st.

the SEC is far and away  the toughest football conf     

there is no doubt  the players and coaches do their best and do it the right way   

the plom  is even if we get back to 2010 2011 levels    it will not matter  until  nick leaves     

for Ark  to beat BAMA and LSU  it means  winning some big time OL DL  in louisana     or  getting a russell wilson type qb    Arkansas needs to reucit LA  and MISS better  we border 5 states 
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

Mike_e

You are right, up to a point.

Yes we have to have great players but you can only have 11 on the field at one time.

Where we have lacked the most is in where we've had to substitute.  They'd bring in a guy that could easily have been the starter and we, well we couldn't.  Their guys would be fresh(ish) in the second half and ours... not so much.

To me one of the best things of the CBB era is that we are getting guys that can step in to sub and not have the large fall-off that we've had.

Biotch and moan about CBB all you like (for those that do it) but building a team to compete in the SECW takes twice as long as you'd think because you need twice as many starters.  And for those of us who aren't perennial powers make that 3 times as long.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Al Boarland

Quote from: j-mann on March 22, 2017, 09:20:46 pm

the SEC is far and away  the toughest football conf     

there is no doubt  the players and coaches do their best and do it the right way   

the plom  is even if we get back to 2010 2011 levels    it will not matter  until  nick leaves     

for Ark  to beat BAMA and LSU  it means  winning some big time OL DL  in louisana     or  getting a russell wilson type qb    Arkansas needs to reucit LA  and MISS better  we border 5 states

A lot of truth there in both this and hogfan's posts. I just think you should proceed with caution. I'm sure the players are working hard. Maybe there is renwewed energy. One thing I do know. There are a lot of very talented players that are working just as hard. The assertion that our players are somehow working harder than everyone else because they are dissatisfied with how the season ended up seems far fetched. Everyone in the SEC is dissatisfied with how their season turned out. Even Bama.

One other thing. Thinking the only baked in losses are bama and LSU is laughable. You may not know who they will be, but given the track record you probably should find 2/3 more L's on the schedule. Until proven otherwise....7/8 wins. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Mike_e on March 23, 2017, 04:47:48 am
You are right, up to a point.

Yes we have to have great players but you can only have 11 on the field at one time.

Where we have lacked the most is in where we've had to substitute.  They'd bring in a guy that could easily have been the starter and we, well we couldn't.  Their guys would be fresh(ish) in the second half and ours... not so much.

To me one of the best things of the CBB era is that we are getting guys that can step in to sub and not have the large fall-off that we've had.

Biotch and moan about CBB all you like (for those that do it) but building a team to compete in the SECW takes twice as long as you'd think because you need twice as many starters.  And for those of us who aren't perennial powers make that 3 times as long.

Looking at our roster from last year combined with who we signed this year I see the following numbers, keeping in mind of course that these numbers may change before or after spring practice.

DB's-25
LB's-18
DT's-5
DE-7

QB's-6
RB's-8
FB's-3
OL-20
TE's-9
WR's-18

Speaking to your point about depth, we can see that it is being built though I wish we had a couple of more players at DE. The question to be answered is how well the depth at each of these positions have developed? We will see but at least we are getting numbers where they should be.
Go Hogs Go!

GuvHog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 22, 2017, 10:21:17 am
True, but you have to accept the fact that we're not a dominate program and really never have been.  To expect the Hogs to consistently win in double digits is a pipe dream.  I think Bielema will undoubtedly win 9 or 10 games eventually.  By sheer luck and probability he's bound to, but he's never going to build us into some sort of perennial power house.

I agree the Hogs aren't going to consistently win 10+ games every year, that has never been my expectation. I do however, believe that 8 regular season wins should be the floor for this program with seasons of 9 or more wins happening occasionally but winning 6 to 7 games a year with an occasional 8 win season mixed in is not acceptable.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

PorkSoda

Quote from: Al Boarland on March 23, 2017, 05:25:33 am
One other thing. Thinking the only baked in losses are bama and LSU is laughable. You may not know who they will be, but given the track record you probably should find 2/3 more L's on the schedule. Until proven otherwise....7/8 wins. 
I don't know, to me bama is the only one that we can't seem to ever beat.   there will probably be 2-3 other losses, but every other conference game could go either way depending on a lot of factors.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hogcard1964

Quote from: PorkSoda on March 23, 2017, 02:10:48 pm
I don't know, to me bama is the only one that we can't seem to ever beat.   there will probably be 2-3 other losses, but every other conference game could go either way depending on a lot of factors.

Year in and year out, odds are we're going to lose to Bama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, Kentucky, Missouri and Tennessee.  Odds are we're going to beat Texas A & M, Ole Miss, Miss St., South Carolina and Vanderbilt.  I'm basing this on lifetime stats only.

If I were a betting man, right now the only teams I would feel good about wagering on us to beat would be Vanderbilt, Ole Miss and Miss St.  I'll never pick us to beat Missouri again.

PorkSoda

goodguytex

Quote from: PorkSoda on March 23, 2017, 03:15:06 pm
you feel better about us beating TAMU than Mizzou?
Just my own opinion, I like our chances of beating both the Saggies and Mizzou this year. The Saggies seem to be feeling some. Sumlin on the hot seat, they will have a brand  new QB, they lost their biggest stars on defense. Our best chance during the Bielema era should be this year.

The Missouri game.. losing to them last year was a big fluke and shouldn't have happened. And if our defense is improved any at all we should throttle them this year. I really think we could win 9 games this year.

Al Boarland

Quote from: goodguytex on March 23, 2017, 06:11:07 pm
Just my own opinion, I like our chances of beating both the Saggies and Mizzou this year. The Saggies seem to be feeling some. Sumlin on the hot seat, they will have a brand  new QB, they lost their biggest stars on defense. Our best chance during the Bielema era should be this year.

The Missouri game.. losing to them last year was a big fluke and shouldn't have happened. And if our defense is improved any at all we should throttle them this year. I really think we could win 9 games this year.
Now I've seen posts of CBB starting to feel the pressure, but somehow that is going to make him coach better. You are saying Sumlin is on the hot seat and that will somehow make him coach worse. Who's right?

goodguytex

Quote from: Al Boarland on March 23, 2017, 06:40:19 pm
Now I've seen posts of CBB starting to feel the pressure, but somehow that is going to make him coach better. You are saying Sumlin is on the hot seat and that will somehow make him coach worse. Who's right?
Where the Saggies are concerned, I look more at who they do and don't have coming back that were key parts of their team last year. They are starting a brand new QB. They lost most of their biggest defensive production.

We get them early enough in the year, with Austin being a senior, with our RBs being a year more seasoned, with most of our Oline being a year more seasoned, we should be better overall on offense.

We lost some on defense too. But we have just about everyone that were key in defensive production coming back. We lost Ellis, maybe one other I can't think of right now. But if the changes are somewhat successful with Rhoades as DC, overall our defense should be better. We didn't lose the defensive stats the Saggies did. So that game should be in our favor.

Al Boarland

Quote from: goodguytex on March 23, 2017, 06:54:21 pm
Where the Saggies are concerned, I look more at who they do and don't have coming back that were key parts of their team last year. They are starting a brand new QB. They lost most of their biggest defensive production.

We get them early enough in the year, with Austin being a senior, with our RBs being a year more seasoned, with most of our Oline being a year more seasoned, we should be better overall on offense.

We lost some on defense too. But we have just about everyone that were key in defensive production coming back. We lost Ellis, maybe one other I can't think of right now. But if the changes are somewhat successful with Rhoades as DC, overall our defense should be better. We didn't lose the defensive stats the Saggies did. So that game should be in our favor.
Yeah, we have some guys from a mediocre line coming back with more experience. How many times did Allen pick himself up off the ground? We didn't lose the defensive stats because we didn't have the stats to lose.

goodguytex

Quote from: Al Boarland on March 23, 2017, 06:59:06 pm
Yeah, we have some guys from a mediocre line coming back with more experience. How many times did Allen pick himself up off the ground? We didn't lose the defensive stats because we didn't have the stats to lose.
And you don't think with most of our line, most of our defense coming back there will be improvement? I think there will be. Should be anyway.

Al Boarland

Quote from: goodguytex on March 23, 2017, 07:04:23 pm
And you don't think with most of our line, most of our defense coming back there will be improvement? I think there will be. Should be anyway.
They could be better and we could still lose games. QB play in the SEC will be better dang near across the board. Points will be scored in bunches this season. IMO, we are still not talented enough to get over the hump and I don't have confidence this staff is going to get more out of less compared to our competition that just has to get what they have out of their talent.  I see all these people throwing up a W against MS St. They will be damn good this season and their talent is comparable to ours with a coach that has proven to get more out of less in the SEC.

goodguytex

Quote from: Al Boarland on March 23, 2017, 07:11:25 pm
They could be better and we could still lose games. QB play in the SEC will be better dang near across the board. Points will be scored in bunches this season. IMO, we are still not talented enough to get over the hump and I don't have confidence this staff is going to get more out of less compared to our competition that just has to get what they have out of their talent.  I see all these people throwing up a W against MS St. They will be damn good this season and their talent is comparable to ours with a coach that has proven to get more out of less in the SEC.
Really? Just in our division, auburn, ole Miss, and Texas A&M will be bringing in new QBs.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: Al Boarland on March 23, 2017, 07:11:25 pm

Two posts in a row, in different threads, stating the same thing...you hate CBB and his staff. Must be tiring being you.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Al Boarland

Quote from: goodguytex on March 23, 2017, 07:21:16 pm
Really? Just in our division, auburn, ole Miss, and Texas A&M will be bringing in new QBs.
OM - 5 star QB that got his feet wet last season. How will their D be? Will they actually be able to run the ball?

A&M - for all the grief we give Sumlin's QB drama he can coach QB's. Eubanks has experience. They are still a very talented roster. We play them early when they are usually pretty good.

Auburn - Adds former former Baylor QB who can sling it in addition to their lethal run game. No way anyone should count that as a W. After all, like CBB, Malzahn is feeling the pressure and Hogville logic says that will make CBB a better coach, so that must mean Gussy will win a natty since he has already wrapped up a SECC.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on March 23, 2017, 07:31:01 pm
Two posts in a row, in different threads, stating the same thing...you hate CBB and his staff. Must be tiring being you.

Pales in comparison to some posters recycling the same preseason posts. Discussing expectation leveling never really gets tiring.

Also, I don't hate CBB at all. He's a good coach and runs a good program. IMO, he isn't a great coach. That's okay. Everyone can't be great. It's just the foundation of my expectations for the program.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: Al Boarland on March 23, 2017, 07:33:27 pm
Pales in comparison to some posters recycling the same preseason posts. Discussing expectation leveling never really gets tiring.

Also, I don't hate CBB at all. He's a good coach and runs a good program. IMO, he isn't a great coach. That's okay. Everyone can't be great. It's just the foundation of my expectations for the program.

Follow a game thread this season. It's not the optimists on this board that start looking for sharp objects at the slightest sign of adversity. It is the knee-jerk naysayers screaming how they were right...until the Hogs pull out a victory. Afterwards, crickets.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

bennyl08

Quote from: goodguytex on March 23, 2017, 06:11:07 pm

Agree with you about the aggies.

I've thought we should win the mizzou game going into each season so far and even after the game, thought we were the better team for most of the game each game but had some unlucky or unforced errors hurt us. However this season, I'm not going to say Mizzou should be favored, but I think this should be the toughest mizzou team we've faced yet due to the fact that on paper, they should be an offensive juggernaut.

QB: Last year was Lock's first year with a full season as the starter. Posting 3400 yards, 55% completion, 7.83 average per attempt and a 23:10 td:int ratio. The last stats aren't super impressive in their own right. However, when you compare that to 2015 when he started about 8 games, he was a 1300 yard passer, 49% completion, 5.07 average, and a 4:8 ratio. Now, he was a freshmen that year and thus, this shows a great example of the improvement from freshmen to sophomore and from first year with large experience to 2nd year with large experience. Don't think he will make the same jump in improvement next season, but those numbers will probably be around 3700 yards, 60% completion, 8.5 ypa, and 30:7 ratio.

RB: Crockett was a true freshmen who ran for just over 1000 yards, 6.9 ypc, and 10 td's. He is going to get the first to second year boost both in playing time and in being in a college system that Lock received from 15 to 16. He probably loses some of the ypc as his touches increase, but should become a more effective runner overall. Behind him is Witter who ran for 750 and 6 td's at 4.6 ypc. Witter has increased his carries, yards per carry, and td's each year he's been at mizzou and will be a senior next season.

WR: They return the only 1k receiver from last season in Moore a 6'3 205 now senior who also notched 8 td's. Immediately behind him were two freshmen (recall the improvement jumps) who had 587 yards and 3 tds and 435 and 2 td's. They return a 4th player with over 300 yards in what will next year be a junior coming off his first season of consistent playing time with 307 yards and 2 tds. They lose a senior TE, but return soon to be junior TE who outperformed the senior in td's and was close to the same production in yards.

They also, iirc, return either 4 or all 5 of their OL.

Given our team's past history, I don't worry too much about our offense being able to move the ball on anybody's defense. I do worry about what the opposing offense can do, and that is a troublesome resume the other, other tigers have.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

goodguytex

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 23, 2017, 08:47:40 pm
Agree with you about the aggies.

I've thought we should win the mizzou game going into each season so far and even after the game, thought we were the better team for most of the game each game but had some unlucky or unforced errors hurt us. However this season, I'm not going to say Mizzou should be favored, but I think this should be the toughest mizzou team we've faced yet due to the fact that on paper, they should be an offensive juggernaut.

QB: Last year was Lock's first year with a full season as the starter. Posting 3400 yards, 55% completion, 7.83 average per attempt and a 23:10 td:int ratio. The last stats aren't super impressive in their own right. However, when you compare that to 2015 when he started about 8 games, he was a 1300 yard passer, 49% completion, 5.07 average, and a 4:8 ratio. Now, he was a freshmen that year and thus, this shows a great example of the improvement from freshmen to sophomore and from first year with large experience to 2nd year with large experience. Don't think he will make the same jump in improvement next season, but those numbers will probably be around 3700 yards, 60% completion, 8.5 ypa, and 30:7 ratio.

RB: Crockett was a true freshmen who ran for just over 1000 yards, 6.9 ypc, and 10 td's. He is going to get the first to second year boost both in playing time and in being in a college system that Lock received from 15 to 16. He probably loses some of the ypc as his touches increase, but should become a more effective runner overall. Behind him is Witter who ran for 750 and 6 td's at 4.6 ypc. Witter has increased his carries, yards per carry, and td's each year he's been at mizzou and will be a senior next season.

WR: They return the only 1k receiver from last season in Moore a 6'3 205 now senior who also notched 8 td's. Immediately behind him were two freshmen (recall the improvement jumps) who had 587 yards and 3 tds and 435 and 2 td's. They return a 4th player with over 300 yards in what will next year be a junior coming off his first season of consistent playing time with 307 yards and 2 tds. They lose a senior TE, but return soon to be junior TE who outperformed the senior in td's and was close to the same production in yards.

They also, iirc, return either 4 or all 5 of their OL.

Given our team's past history, I don't worry too much about our offense being able to move the ball on anybody's defense. I do worry about what the opposing offense can do, and that is a troublesome resume the other, other tigers have.
Our season will or should rest on how our defense does. If Rhoades gets things fixed somewhat, we will have a good year. If we see more of last year, I expect a 6-6 year.

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

bennyl08

Quote from: goodguytex on March 23, 2017, 11:19:59 pm
Our season will or should rest on how our defense does. If Rhoades gets things fixed somewhat, we will have a good year. If we see more of last year, I expect a 6-6 year.

Why would you expect a regression? We have an OL that won't be making the mental mistakes they made last year. A 5th year qb who has a full year of experience and should be even better than he already was. A stable of running backs to pound opposing teams with, returning the highest graded receiver coming back to the SEC along with some new talents itching to explode on the scene.

Even if we see more of last year on defense, it becomes a lot tougher for the aggies, mizzou, or VT to win those games given our much improved offense.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

TNRazorbacker

7-8 games. I think thats going to be typical for us. I said early on that I didnt think Bielema would be the type to get us to a championship, but he would reduce the extremes from one year to the next. We should be consistently competitive with his brand of football.

TNRazorbacker

Quote from: GuvHog on March 22, 2017, 09:49:08 am

Unfortunately what has changed the most are demographics and not in our favor. Low population state, out of the SEC recruiting belt, and black kids get to play now.

goodguytex

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 24, 2017, 01:25:19 am
Why would you expect a regression? We have an OL that won't be making the mental mistakes they made last year. A 5th year qb who has a full year of experience and should be even better than he already was. A stable of running backs to pound opposing teams with, returning the highest graded receiver coming back to the SEC along with some new talents itching to explode on the scene.

Even if we see more of last year on defense, it becomes a lot tougher for the aggies, mizzou, or VT to win those games given our much improved offense.
I actually don't expect a regression. I expect our Oline will be improved as a unit. I think our defense will be improved, and will play much more sound. That's why I was predicting 9 wins.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on March 23, 2017, 07:47:38 pm
Follow a game thread this season. It's not the optimists on this board that start looking for sharp objects at the slightest sign of adversity. It is the knee-jerk naysayers screaming how they were right...until the Hogs pull out a victory. Afterwards, crickets.

Yep they were out in numbers this time last year. Then we beat TCU and they went quiet. They only started coming out again after the Mizzu game.

They claim to be fans who are "realists". Ok, I will give them that. They are being "real" when posting their concerns. But as fans, why not post celebrations when we win? But as you say it is crickets when we win.

Strange way for a fan to act - only posting when times are bad and never celebrating wins.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

goodguytex

Quote from: ChitownHawg on March 24, 2017, 07:40:11 am
Yep they were out in numbers this time last year. Then we beat TCU and they went quiet. They only started coming out again after the Mizzu game.

They claim to be fans who are "realists". Ok, I will give them that. They are being "real" when posting their concerns. But as fans, why not post celebrations when we win? But as you say it is crickets when we win.

Strange way for a fan to act - only posting when times are bad and never celebrating wins.
As you are no doubt aware, there are 4 factions of Hog fans... Those that were firmly in Nutt camp, thought he was done wrong when he lost his job, take pleasure and joy at seeing the Hogs struggle now.

2nd one... Group of hog fans that wanted badly for Gus malzahn to get hired, felt strongly that had he been made HC at the end of the 2006 season with Mustain as our QB, that the Hogs would have multiple NCs. And felt once Petrino left malzahn should've been hired to replace him.

3rd kind... The ones that fell completely in love with all things Petrino, loved how he led the program, and their world was destroyed, not when petrino betrayed trust, not when the bike wreck happened. No... Those could be tolerated. The unforgivable sin was Long getting rid of the savior of Razorback football. And since Bielema is our HC, they take joy and glee at seeing long and bielema fall on their faces. Their goal is seeing bielema fail, seeing bielema take Long down and for that Yankee carpetbagger to go too.

Then there are the rest of us... Sane... Hog fans that support the program either way, want to give all the support to whoever is in charge of the program to make it successful, and generally like and support what bielema is trying to do.

hogcard1964

Quote from: goodguytex on March 24, 2017, 08:19:39 am
As you are no doubt aware, there are 4 factions of Hog fans... Those that were firmly in Nutt camp, thought he was done wrong when he lost his job, take pleasure and joy at seeing the Hogs struggle now.

2nd one... Group of hog fans that wanted badly for Gus malzahn to get hired, felt strongly that had he been made HC at the end of the 2006 season with Mustain as our QB, that the Hogs would have multiple NCs. And felt once Petrino left malzahn should've been hired to replace him.

3rd kind... The ones that fell completely in love with all things Petrino, loved how he led the program, and their world was destroyed, not when petrino betrayed trust, not when the bike wreck happened. No... Those could be tolerated. The unforgivable sin was Long getting rid of the savior of Razorback football. And since Bielema is our HC, they take joy and glee at seeing long and bielema fall on their faces. Their goal is seeing bielema fail, seeing bielema take Long down and for that Yankee carpetbagger to go too.

Then there are the rest of us... Sane... Hog fans that support the program either way, want to give all the support to whoever is in charge of the program to make it successful, and generally like and support what bielema is trying to do.

Aren't you overlooking the realist group? The ones that acknowledge the fact that the program is stagnate and are able to admit that this is probably about the best we can expect?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: goodguytex on March 24, 2017, 08:19:39 am

Good breakdown and for once in my life I'm in the sane category.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

goodguytex

Little Lady Back

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 21, 2017, 10:47:13 am
I think that how well we do will be determined by whether or not we have actually recruited better defensive talent that can perform at a high level within the 3-4 scheme. I'm not worried about the offense. It's the quality of the defense that will determine whether we remain in the 7 to 9 win area or can move beyond that to 10 or more wins.

Exactly!
#NolanRichardsonCourt

goodguytex

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 24, 2017, 08:33:03 am
Aren't you overlooking the realist group? The ones that acknowledge the fact that the program is stagnate and are able to admit that this is probably about the best we can expect?
Yeah... How could I forget the chicken little faction?

hogcard1964

Quote from: goodguytex on March 24, 2017, 09:22:24 am
Yeah... How could I forget the chicken little faction?

+1000

Agreed, Ole Miss fans do we have reason to act as such. 

I do wonder if it will take them as long as it's taking us to rebuild their program after their dumpster fire?

gchamblee

Quote from: ChitownHawg on March 24, 2017, 07:40:11 am

They are celebrating struggles for CBB. They will celebrate the hogs again when they get a coach that they like. For now though, their primary concern is CBB and Jeff Long.

Just look at FCJ and his hypocrisy when it comes to CMA and CBB. He likes one coach and dislikes the other and his posts are ridiculous when compared.

gchamblee

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 24, 2017, 08:33:03 am

You mean the one that walks around with his hands in his pocket staring at the ground with a quivering lower lip posting through his tears as he mocks anyone that shows optimism? Ya, how could you have been uncategorized in his post lol.

goodguytex

Quote from: gchamblee on March 24, 2017, 09:59:37 am
You mean the one that walks around with his hands in his pocket staring at the ground with a quivering lower lip posting through his tears as he mocks anyone that shows optimism? Ya, how could you have been uncategorized in his post lol.
;D