Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

His Mother’s battle with Alzheimer’s drives Paul Rhoads

Started by jbcarol, February 26, 2017, 01:07:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/SECCountryHogs/status/835882499473555456

QuoteIt was never more powerful than on the days he stood on a stage in front of more than 100 Des Moines-area executives, pointed at them and thundered, "Alzheimer's stole my mother."

"When he was finished speaking, every one of those executives would write a check," said Kay Rader, development director for the Greater Iowa chapter of the Alzheimer's Association.

Rhoads became Arkansas' new defensive coordinator last month. After a disappointing 2016 season, Razorbacks fans have questions about Rhoads.

But knowing and understanding Paul Rhoads as a man begins with his ardent advocacy for Alzheimer's research. Mary Rhoads died in July 2011 after a long battle with the cruel disease.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Hawgey-Davidson

Nice read and insight to the man while also terribly sad. Hope he continues to advocate for this mind crippling disease. All the best to Coach and his family.

Vantage 8 dude

Anyone who has had a loved one who's battled the insidious effects of Alzheimers or other forms of dementia knows and understands the terrible impact it has on not only the patient, but the friends and loved ones of the victim. As many other medical advances and discoveries help prolong the life of many suffering from other diseases, an unfortunate side effect of such progress is the increased likelihood of developing this "living hell" condition will very likely impact more and more Americans as time goes by. While medical science is certainly working feverishly on a cure/treatments, any such help remains stubbornly elusive.

I certainly have great empathy for Paul. Saw an aunt and father-in-law deal with such issues. It's by no means a pretty picture. Draining both emotionally, physically and financially for all involved.  :'(

BTW in addition to pointing out and revealing the challenges Paul (and others) face in dealing with such a medical condition, this story should serve as a reminder to all of us that while we get caught up in the performance and winning of the Hog's football (and other) sports teams, in the end the REAL importance of life lies far outside the lines of the playing field, court, baseball diamond, or track. In the end it's how we deal with the life and death we all face on this earth.

ricepig

I'd think he could join up with the Broyles Foundation locally, but I understand if he wishes to continue to support his group in Iowa. My father suffered from dementia in his later years, fortunately he didn't forget Mom or any of us siblings. It is a cruel disease, that is hard on the family and the afflicted.

Hawgey-Davidson

Quote from: ricepig on February 26, 2017, 01:42:51 pm
I'd think he could join up with the Broyles Foundation locally, but I understand if he wishes to continue to support his group in Iowa. My father suffered from dementia in his later years, fortunately he didn't forget Mom or any of us siblings. It is a cruel disease, that is hard on the family and the afflicted.
Rice, was thinking the same thing. CFB and CPR would make a great advocacy pair. Would like to see something like this happen.

FANONTHEHILL

I think folks are going to find out more and more about Coach Rhoads and his wife Vickie that will endear them to the fans.  It's no mistake that the players responded to him the way they did.  Coach and his wife are just good people and we're lucky to have them in Fayetteville.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ricepig on February 26, 2017, 01:42:51 pm

Absolutely right. A terribly cruel disease.
Go Hogs Go!

DeltaBoy

Prayers sent for Coach R. Mother. It is a horrible illness.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jgphillips3

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on February 26, 2017, 04:05:15 pm
I think folks are going to find out more and more about Coach Rhoads and his wife Vickie that will endear them to the fans.  It's no mistake that the players responded to him the way they did.  Coach and his wife are just good people and we're lucky to have them in Fayetteville.

I love how positive you are about them. You are giving me hope that at least the players will no longer be loafing and actually be engaged which on its own will make a big difference.  Those players last year on defense either seemed confused by what they were asked to do, were asked to do things they could not do and sometimes seemed like they quit on themselves and the coaches.  A fighting attitude will go a long way in making our D better than last year's disaster.