Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema, Scott, Walker, PC

Started by ricepig, February 21, 2017, 12:26:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

colbs

Thought this was interesting:

— He's offered a job for a 10th coach if it happens. Been courting them for a few months. Has a plan B if it doesn't work in their favor. Some schools can hire a guy as a quality control assistant and then promote them if the 10th spot becomes available. They aren't able to do that.

Why can't they hire a quality control assistant?

ricepig

Quote from: colbs on February 21, 2017, 12:43:12 pm
Thought this was interesting:

— He's offered a job for a 10th coach if it happens. Been courting them for a few months. Has a plan B if it doesn't work in their favor. Some schools can hire a guy as a quality control assistant and then promote them if the 10th spot becomes available. They aren't able to do that.

Why can't they hire a quality control assistant?

Money, that's why. We already have a defense and offense quality control assistants, we aren't Bama, we can't afford 5 of each.

PorkRinds

Interesting to see TJ Hammonds move to WR. I feel like he will do well there especially on the jet sweeps.

What is 5 minutes on the mat followed by cornhole?

colbs

Quote from: Karma on February 21, 2017, 12:53:20 pm
Where is FOTH when you need him?

colbs

Quote from: ricepig on February 21, 2017, 12:45:39 pm
Money, that's why. We already have a defense and offense quality control assistants, we aren't Bama, we can't afford 5 of each.
Yeah but they will have to pony up that money when he's hired anyways(probably more).  Might as well get him started, that's just my opinion though.

ricepig

Quote from: colbs on February 21, 2017, 12:56:07 pm
Yeah but they will have to pony up that money when he's hired anyways(probably more).  Might as well get him started, that's just my opinion though.

Oh, I know, it's just that Yankee holding us back........

colbs

Quote from: ricepig on February 21, 2017, 12:59:45 pm
Oh, I know, it's just that Yankee holding us back........

Haha I am sure that was coming so might as well go ahead and get it out of the way. 

bennyl08

QC guys make a few tens of thousands of dollars on the college level over a year. If we wanted to hire somebody for that job, it would cost 1% of what we are paying Bielema to hire more. If we wanted to, we could hire more of those guys. The difference here is that the typical QC guys are a step above GA's, but whose next step in life is to move up to a position coach. If we are hiring an established coach, they probably aren't going to be your typical QC guy and will need more than 3k a month paycheck. It's also possible that the person he's looking to hire is in a similar position as Partridge and hiring would cause the guy to lose money unless they paid way more than a QC position would be worth.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ricepig

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 21, 2017, 01:07:09 pm
QC guys make a few tens of thousands of dollars on the college level over a year. If we wanted to hire somebody for that job, it would cost 1% of what we are paying Bielema to hire more. If we wanted to, we could hire more of those guys. The difference here is that the typical QC guys are a step above GA's, but whose next step in life is to move up to a position coach. If we are hiring an established coach, they probably aren't going to be your typical QC guy and will need more than 3k a month paycheck. It's also possible that the person he's looking to hire is in a similar position as Partridge and hiring would cause the guy to lose money unless they paid way more than a QC position would be worth.

How do you know what quality control coaches make, have you seen the salary schedule for those at Arkansas, or any other P5 school?

Wildhog

Sounds like we need to make a greater financial commitment to winning.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 21, 2017, 01:16:25 pm
Sounds like we need to make a greater financial commitment to winning.

Have you leased your suite yet?

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 21, 2017, 01:20:44 pm
One day, Rice.

Good, you can have your HV brethren over.....if you're waiting until the kids are grown and out on their own, forget it........

ricepig

Quote from: Surfing8 on February 21, 2017, 01:27:29 pm
http://res.dallasnews.com/graphics/2015_04/collegesalaries/

Here's 2015.  Adjust for inflation.

De-select all other teams, and select all options for positions for Arkansas.

You're welcome.

Never would load for me, and I think Bielema is referring to the analysts we have for both sides of the ball, not the quality control coaches. You know, the ones Bama pays $250,000+ for.....

swineman

Cornhole is what the northerner's call baggo....... not sure about 5 minutes on the mat tho.

Peter Porker

Quote from: ricepig on February 21, 2017, 01:12:07 pm
How do you know what quality control coaches make, have you seen the salary schedule for those at Arkansas, or any other P5 school?

Stop. you know he's an expert at all things.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 21, 2017, 01:07:09 pm

Sarkisian at Bama was making $40k as an analyst.. just a thought.

ricepig

Quote from: Surfing8 on February 21, 2017, 01:38:15 pm
Up to date Chrome browser, and a modern OS.

Helps when perusing facts to counter "How do you know" accusations questions.

I have those, how about you posting them.

colbs

I'm sure tgere is more to it than they don't want to pay for another Quality control coach.  It could be as simple as the coach offered doesn't want to accept the position until it officially passes as he may already be a position coach. Could be a guy they are going to pay pretty good and name him as Special Teams coordinator.  If and that's a big IF it is because they don't want to pay a few hundred thousand to ensure they get the coach BB wants as the 10th assistant in addition to getting a possible good off the field coach then that's a head scratcher.  Especially after the news of how much money each team from the conference is getting.  It would be a lot cheaper giving a HC $2M-$3M additional money for assistants/QC coaches than paying his buyout.

ricepig

Quote from: Surfing8 on February 21, 2017, 01:42:42 pm
I posted a link where you can look up every team to your heart's content.  Facts abound.

I didn't think you could, but thanks anyway. Not sure why you're a jerk, besides just being you.

bennyl08

Quote from: ricepig on February 21, 2017, 01:12:07 pm

I saw a job posting for SMU.

SEC teams are probably going to pay a bit more than SMU. However, the variability gets smaller the lower down you go. What's the spread for a HC salary? Millions of dollars from one school to the next. What about coordinators? Hundreds of thousands of dollars. Position coaches? Big variability there actually, still on the order of hundreds of thousands, but still a bit smaller than coordinator variability. SMU was paying the QC coach anywhere from 30-50k dollars, so I'm guessing variability is on the order of tens of thousands. Top QC guy's probably make just at 100k, low range in the 25-30k, mid-level probably in the 40-60k range.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ricepig

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 21, 2017, 01:54:53 pm
I saw a job posting for SMU.

SEC teams are probably going to pay a bit more than SMU. However, the variability gets smaller the lower down you go. What's the spread for a HC salary? Millions of dollars from one school to the next. What about coordinators? Hundreds of thousands of dollars. Position coaches? Big variability there actually, still on the order of hundreds of thousands, but still a bit smaller than coordinator variability. SMU was paying the QC coach anywhere from 30-50k dollars, so I'm guessing variability is on the order of tens of thousands. Top QC guy's probably make just at 100k, low range in the 25-30k, mid-level probably in the 40-60k range.

Ok, thanks, seem like a simple question to ask, lol. Our quality control coaches are young guys, just getting into the business, they likely make the mid-range of your figures. We have an analyst for both sides of the ball who are retired coaches that do our scouting and work for opponents two weeks out, I suspect they make the upper range.

bennyl08

Quote from: ricepig on February 21, 2017, 01:59:41 pm
Ok, thanks, seem like a simple question to ask, lol. Our quality control coaches are young guys, just getting into the business, they likely make the mid-range of your figures. We have an analyst for both sides of the ball who are retired coaches that do our scouting and work for opponents two weeks out, I suspect they make the upper range.

There was also a purdue listing, but they didn't give a salary range.

http://res.dallasnews.com/graphics/2015_04/collegesalaries/

Found this. Doesn't have everybody, but they have enough.

FANONTHEHILL

February 21, 2017, 02:58:15 pm #25 Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 04:38:13 pm by Biggus Piggus

Here is a video of Georgia mat drills.

Imagine five minutes of this, then you play the tailgate corn hole game. (bean bag in the hole).  Keep score of shots in the hole.  You run the corn hole portion through quicky (2-3 minutes) them do another five of mat and so on..... Continue that for 30-60 minutes depending on the coaches mood.  Then the losing team does extra while the winners give them grief.  Normally offense vs defense.  Competition and team building.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Poker_hog

We're 16th in total revenue.  Number of coaches or coaching salaries is not holding us back.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

ricepig

Quote from: Poker_hog on February 21, 2017, 03:05:38 pm
We're 16th in total revenue.  Number of coaches or coaching salaries is not holding us back.

Revenue isn't profit, which I assume you know. I realize we make a decent profit, I guess they're saving money for this buyout that some indicate is forthcoming.

Dropkick

Quote from: ricepig on February 21, 2017, 01:45:08 pm
I didn't think you could, but thanks anyway. Not sure why you're a jerk, besides just being you.
My dad always said there are more horses azzes than horses.

TebowHater

It boils down to this:

If it was a money issue, we wouldn't randomly have the money the day a 10th coach is approved (in two months or a year etc). JL needs football to succeed more than anyone, and we have the resources. There is something else going on, so it is a very good question as to what/why. That said, to be fair, the way Bielema said it, he did reference $150k and made it sound like a monetary issue, so idk.

The one thought was the person we offered it to doesn't want that - that makes sense, but then doesn't make sense why Bielema is, effectively, complaining about our inability to do that.

----
The other interesting thing he said was that "I do have a plan B, that I know will work" and then he sort of back tracked and tried to soften. Almost sounds like CCP is plan B.

ricepig

Quote from: TebowHater on February 21, 2017, 03:22:47 pm
It boils down to this:

If it was a money issue, we wouldn't randomly have the money the day a 10th coach is approved (in two months or a year etc). JL needs football to succeed more than anyone, and we have the resources. There is something else going on, so it is a very good question as to what/why. That said, to be fair, the way Bielema said it, he did reference $150k and made it sound like a monetary issue, so idk.

The one thought was the person we offered it to doesn't want that - that makes sense, but then doesn't make sense why Bielema is, effectively, complaining about our inability to do that.

----
The other interesting thing he said was that "I do have a plan B, that I know will work" and then he sort of back tracked and tried to soften. Almost sounds like CCP is plan B.

Huh, didn't you hear where he said hiring friends can be tricky?? I doubt Partridge is leaving Pitt to be our special teams coach/recruiter.

TebowHater

Quote from: ricepig on February 21, 2017, 03:29:29 pm
Huh, didn't you hear where he said hiring friends can be tricky?? I doubt Partridge is leaving Pitt to be our special teams coach/recruiter.

That's fair and on me -- I had forgotten about Pitt. Was thinking it was a different Partridge. He's their DL coach FWIW.

But to be that confident that a guy would be your Plan B, he probably knows the guy. Maybe Brian Early.

ricepig

Quote from: TebowHater on February 21, 2017, 03:33:04 pm
That's fair and on me -- I had forgotten about Pitt. Was thinking it was a different Partridge. He's their DL coach FWIW.

But to be that confident that a guy would be your Plan B, he probably knows the guy. Maybe Brian Early.

Yeah, back earlier he said it would be a guy that could recruit, I have no idea who it could be.

Biggus Piggus

News conference all sounded good to me.
[CENSORED]!

rljjr

I got all jacked up watching Walker. Bringing a big energy.

Poker_hog

Quote from: ricepig on February 21, 2017, 03:15:10 pm
Revenue isn't profit, which I assume you know. I realize we make a decent profit, I guess they're saving money for this buyout that some indicate is forthcoming.

Of coarse I understand these basic concepts.  I also understand that if they thought that these quality control coaches would result in even 1-2 more wins per year they would hesitate to cough up the money even if it was $1 million/year. 
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

lumphog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 21, 2017, 04:37:20 pm
News conference all sounded good to me.
VERY.....Impressed with John Scott, he's going to be a good recruiter

lumphog

Quote from: rljjr on February 21, 2017, 04:37:22 pm
I got all jacked up watching Walker. Bringing a big energy.
I got jacked up when he said ADJUSTMENTS & IN GAME ADJUSTMENTS

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on February 21, 2017, 02:58:15 pm
Here is a video of Georgia mat drills.

Imagine five minutes of this, then you play the tailgate corn hole game. (bean bag in the hole).  Keep score of shots in the hole.  You run the corn hole portion through quicky (2-3 minutes) them do another five of mat and so on..... Continue that for 30-60 minutes depending on the coaches mood.  Then the losing team does extra while the winners give them grief.  Normally offense vs defense.  Competition and team building.
Yet another reason why I can't be a college athlete.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Karma on February 21, 2017, 07:58:47 pm
Yet another reason why I can't be a college athlete.

I spoke to my son last night.  The routine was similar to the Georgia video with few tweaks with different exercises.  The corn hole game portion was a station, so it wasn't really much of a rest station and it wasn't offense vs defense.  Another Twitter acct to follow if you don't is @VidHogs   They posted this last night.  Also the title "First Day of Spribg Workouts" refers to first day with staff.  Off season workouts (strength and conditioning with Coach Herbert) have been going on for four weeks.

https://t.co/0rrMDU14hW
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

theshiva

Quote from: lumphog on February 21, 2017, 05:30:59 pm
I got jacked up when he said ADJUSTMENTS & IN GAME ADJUSTMENTS

While NFL experience may not be a boost in recruiting, it should really help in this aspect. 

nchogg

Scott was excited and hyper. I got tired watching his PC. He is ready to go to work. :razorback:

nchogg

Quote from: nchogg on February 22, 2017, 09:36:19 am
Scott was excited and hyper. I got tired watching his PC. He is ready to go to work. :razorback:
Got them mixed up. I meant Walker.

Boarmonger

I liked both of these guys.  They both seem well spoken with miles of personality which will work well on the recruiting trail.  Chad Walker may just light a fire to this defense.  He can't stand still!  I'm looking forward to seeing what they bring.

Piggfoot

Lawd ha' mercy!! Cornhole???? It's amazing what Northerners and Right and Left coasters have done with the English language. I suppose it's a similar metaphore but it used to mean something entirely different. At least where I grew up. While I'm on it Gay used to mean delightful and happy!!!!!
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Hogdomer