Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CFN Razorback preview

Started by LRRandy, February 21, 2017, 11:28:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

LRRandy

This is fun, isn't it.

gchamblee

That was a very vague and poorly informative article. I think we improve next year but that article was about as generic as it gets.

Gonzo

Quote from: gchamblee on February 21, 2017, 11:48:55 am
That was a very vague and poorly informative article. I think we improve next year but that article was about as generic as it gets.

That's about all you can expect at this time of year. No one has done spring practice, the author has five or six paragraphs to discuss the team, it's going to be mostly who left and who is coming back along with a basic eval of the coaching situation (coaching change?, what does coach's track record suggest). I thought it was fine for what it is, probably not far from where the Hogs will be evaluated later in the off season as more info becomes available. If you read a few of the others on their list in that range, they read pretty similarly.

Go Hogs!

LRRandy

yeah, not very deep. They have been counting down from 128 to number 1. I guess when your website is called College Football News and it is February you need filler content. You gotta like 29 though as a jumping off point into the season after the collapse that was the end of last season.
This is fun, isn't it.

Poker_hog

Weak analysis.  The DL has plenty of talent to be good.  The biggest question mark for the 3rd year in a row is lb play.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

DeltaBoy

Horrible article, Robert Shields is way better and he is not posting here anymore.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

bphi11ips

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 22, 2017, 01:08:48 pm
Horrible article, Robert Shields is way better and he is not posting here anymore.

Who is Robert Shields?
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

bennyl08

Quote from: Poker_hog on February 21, 2017, 05:02:30 pm
Weak analysis.  The DL has plenty of talent to be good.  The biggest question mark for the 3rd year in a row is lb play.

Disagree on that this year.

We've seen Greenlaw, Eugene, and Harris with extended playing time last season at LB. Agim is the only person on our DL who will have extensive play. Capps played a fair amount, but it felt like he played a lot less than any of the others listed. Even if we count Capps, that 75% of the LB group and if we are counting Capps, we'd probably count Ramsey which would be 100% of the LB group vs 67% of the DL.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

LZH

Anyone who dares to say anything that doesn't praise the Hog's FB or BB teams is a satanist and should burn in the lake of fire.

NotSoFastMyFriend

kodiakisland

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 24, 2017, 07:09:15 pm
Who is Robert Shields?

He's a dude, living in his Mom's basement, who used to sneak on to her computer while she slept and knock out some great literary works of art.  Long story short, Mom had money for either Keystone or dial up, but not both.  Well, who's going to give up keystone?
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Poker_hog on February 21, 2017, 05:02:30 pm

I think that as in the last few years, there is potential there to be very good, but to what extent is unknown right now.

Our depth and experience at DE and NT is going to be limited. The starters may be ok but there is little experienced depth at these positions.

LB'er should be improved if we can find a two deep rotation that is more mobile and as capable in providing pass coverage as in defending the run and providing pressure when called upon to blitz. How capable will they be of doing this? Hard to say right now. There should be (not sure if my count is correct) 18 LB's on the roster for the spring, 5 of which are WO's. The 11 returning scholarship players at that position share 19 career starts and 143 games of experience.

The Secondary by all rights, should be the strength of this defense with 9 players returning who have seen playing time, 4 of which have had double digit starts at Arkansas. Add in Britto Tutt who sat out last year and Nate Dalton who saw little action, as well as some very good incoming freshmen who could see playing time this fall and you find that the Secondary is by far the deepest and most experienced group on the field for the defense with 93 starts and 247 games of experience.

I think that the biggest factor for success with this defense isn't the player group as much as it is the scheme that Paul Rhoads chooses to implement and how quickly he adjusts to opponents once we start playing games. There is the potential for previously unknown players to emerge as stars if we begin to play more of a pressure style of defense and if we are successful with that, it "should" lend greater support to the Secondary to perform at a higher level.

We will see.
Go Hogs Go!

ChitownHawg

It definitely read like a journalist with no contacts within the program. He was correct to point out the defense had its issues, yet failed to mention a very big change in scheme.

Speaks of concern with the WRs, yet fails to mention the stud TE and WR that are coming in.

As you say, very vague.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"