Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where SEC Offensive Units Ranked Within Steele's Position Groups Nationally

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, July 05, 2017, 04:35:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Picked up Steele's magazine today and I thought I would share some snippets of that which I found. In this case, Steele's 2017 Top 55 Offensive Individual Units. Here they are:

QB: #12 Alabama, #13 Auburn (say what?), #20 Arkansas, #22 Miss State, #24 Georgia, #26 S. Carolina, #33 Missouri, #38 Ole Miss

RB: #1 Alabama, #2 Georgia, #4 LSU, #6 Auburn, #16 Texas A&M, #33 Vanderbilt, #44 Arkansas, #53 Kentucky, #54 Tennessee, #55 Missouri

WR's: #4 Florida, #5 Alabama, #14 Texas A&M, #15 S. Carolina, #16 Missouri, #21 Georgia, #27 Ole Miss, #29 Auburn, #40 Miss State, #48 Tennessee

OL: #2 Alabama, #4 LSU, #8 Auburn, #9 Missouri, #10 Ole Miss, #11 Tennessee, #12 Arkansas, #24 Florida, #27 Texas A&M, #32 Kentucky, #38 S. Carolina, #46 Georgia

So Arkansas is ranked #20 at QB (bit of a head scratcher), #44 at RB, Unranked at WR and #12 in the country at the OL. With the loss of Rawleigh Williams I can understand the RB ranking I guess. Probably would have been top 25 otherwise. I guess I can understand the WR projection as well...no one knows how well they will perform. Great projection for the O-Line though, I hope they prove to be Top 3.

http://www.philsteele.com/
Go Hogs Go!

Hogs49ers

Nice to see we are ranked #12 in the country in the OL group.

Not nice to see we are ranked #5 out of 7 teams in the SEC West in the OL group.
SCREW Vandy!

Al Boarland

Does he have a projected record?

How are the defensive unit rankings?

TIA

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hogs49ers on July 05, 2017, 05:24:58 pm
Nice to see we are ranked #12 in the country in the OL group.

Not nice to see we are ranked #5 out of 7 teams in the SEC West in the OL group.

Welcome to the SEC...that's just life in this conference.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 05, 2017, 05:29:28 pm
Does he have a projected record?

How are the defensive unit rankings?

TIA

Yeah, 5-7 to 9-3. Pretty broad target.
Go Hogs Go!

RME

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 05, 2017, 04:35:22 pm

QB: #12 Alabama, #13 Auburn (say what?), #20 Arkansas, #22 Miss State, #24 Georgia, #26 S. Carolina, #33 Missouri, #38 Ole Miss

I mean, for the 109 passes Stidham has thrown in college, he's got good stats. But I've seen wayyy too many publications/sports outlets hailing him as the Second Coming. I'll believe it when I see it. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on July 05, 2017, 07:38:28 pm
I mean, for the 109 passes Stidham has thrown in college, he's got good stats. But I've seen wayyy too many publications/sports outlets hailing him as the Second Coming. I'll believe it when I see it. 

I'm sure he is a good QB, but god enough without a single game time SEC snap to be second behind Jalen Hurts? Come on, man. And AA a distant #20? Like you, I'll have to see it to believe it.
Go Hogs Go!

RME

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 05, 2017, 07:46:03 pm
I'm sure he is a good QB, but god enough without a single game time SEC snap to be second behind Jalen Hurts? Come on, man. And AA a distant #20? Like you, I'll have to see it to believe it.

Definitely. From a starter-only standpoint, I would have to put AA top 15 at worst. But going for the whole "unit," I guess I can understand the ranking. We didn't look overly strong behind Austin last year, whereas Auburn does have Stidham and White, who has actually pretty serviceable last year.

But yeah, to rank them ahead of Hurts is kinda nuts, especially when Tagovailoa is supposed to be a stud, too (though he hasn't played a down of football, I get that).

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on July 05, 2017, 07:52:50 pm
Definitely. From a starter-only standpoint, I would have to put AA top 15 at worst. But going for the whole "unit," I guess I can understand the ranking. We didn't look overly strong behind Austin last year, whereas Auburn does have Stidham and White, who has actually pretty serviceable last year.

But yeah, to rank them ahead of Hurts is kinda nuts, especially when Tagovailoa is supposed to be a stud, too (though he hasn't played a down of football, I get that).

No, no, they didn't rank Auburn ahead of Alabama, just one spot behind, which in and of itself is a pretty incredible stretch. Makes me wonder if Auburn is paying Phil Steele as well. ;)
Go Hogs Go!

RME

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 05, 2017, 07:56:37 pm
No, no, they didn't rank Auburn ahead of Alabama, just one spot behind, which in and of itself is a pretty incredible stretch. Makes me wonder if Auburn is paying Phil Steele as well. ;)

Ah, my mistake. Meant to say only one spot behind Alabama*. Multitasking to Google "Tua Tagovailoa" put my mind in pretzels.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on July 05, 2017, 08:18:35 pm
Ah, my mistake. Meant to say only one spot behind Alabama*. Multitasking to Google "Tua Tagovailoa" put my mind in pretzels.

You mean Pineapples as opposed to Pretzels? ;)
Go Hogs Go!

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

bphi11ips

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 05, 2017, 05:57:55 pm

Pretty much what we've been saying here. Lots of questions and about 6 games that can go either way, starting with TCU.

If AA stays healthy, you have to like the offense with Brandon Martin and Jeremy Patton in the mix. And if the light bulb has gone off for Froholdt that will be a plus.

On the defensive side, if Bijhon Jackson finally plays up to his billing and Agim takes a leap forward, the D could be pretty salty.

I think Steele has both units a little low.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 05, 2017, 10:31:57 pm
Pretty much what we've been saying here. Lots of questions and about 6 games that can go either way, starting with TCU.

If AA stays healthy, you have to like the offense with Brandon Martin and Jeremy Patton in the mix. And if the light bulb has gone off for Froholdt that will be a plus.

On the defensive side, if Bijhon Jackson finally plays up to his billing and Agim takes a leap forward, the D could be pretty salty.

I think Steele has both units a little low.

We will see about the WR group. Of course we all want to believe that they are going to get on the field and surprise a lot of people. The one thing that works against them (lack of SEC experience) can also possibly work to their benefit for a while because the DB's on teams that we face aren't going to have a lot of film history to scout them. Let's hope that we can use that to our advantage.

As for the TE's, I know that a lot of hype accompanies Patton's arrival as a highly ranked TE in the country, but as we all know, if you are going to play TE for the Hogs it isn't just about catching the ball. He's going to have to prove that he can block in the SEC as well. And, unless they have been sending him homework (and I hope they have) he has to learn Hoganese. I hope he comes in and lives up to the hype.

Whether he does or he doesn't I think we are going to see a "heapin helpin" of Cantrell (6-4, 269), Kraus (6-5, 252) and O'Grady (6-4, 251). Still waiting to see how Gunter, Gragg and Johnson work out at TE.
Go Hogs Go!

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

bphi11ips

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 06, 2017, 07:26:12 am
We will see about the WR group. Of course we all want to believe that they are going to get on the field and surprise a lot of people. The one thing that works against them (lack of SEC experience) can also possibly work to their benefit for a while because the DB's on teams that we face aren't going to have a lot of film history to scout them. Let's hope that we can use that to our advantage.

As for the TE's, I know that a lot of hype accompanies Patton's arrival as a highly ranked TE in the country, but as we all know, if you are going to play TE for the Hogs it isn't just about catching the ball. He's going to have to prove that he can block in the SEC as well. And, unless they have been sending him homework (and I hope they have) he has to learn Hoganese. I hope he comes in and lives up to the hype.

Whether he does or he doesn't I think we are going to see a "heapin helpin" of Cantrell (6-4, 269), Kraus (6-5, 252) and O'Grady (6-4, 251). Still waiting to see how Gunter, Gragg and Johnson work out at TE.

Looking back at 247's recent top ranked WRs and TEs, it does look like WRs have had a more immediate impact.  As you point out, Arkansas is well stocked at TE anyway.  Two of the last three top-ranked WRs have had big impacts.  D'haqille Williams was number one in 2014 and led Auburn that year with 45 catches for 730 yards.  Taj Williams was number one in 2016 and had 39 catches for 702 yards last year for TCU.  2015 number one had backup numbers at USC for two years but signed a free agency deal this year with Detroit.  2015 number three Dede Westbrook had Heisman-worthy numbers at OU. 

Like D'haquille Williams, Brandon Martin went through Spring practice before his first season at the major college level.  Martin has a fifth year senior throwing to him in a Dan Enos offense that has thrown for 3500 yards two years in a row.  If Martin is healthy he should have plenty of opportunities to have a great year like the Williams at Auburn and TCU.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 06, 2017, 10:29:04 am
Looking back at 247's recent top ranked WRs and TEs, it does look like WRs have had a more immediate impact.  As you point out, Arkansas is well stocked at TE anyway.  Two of the last three top-ranked WRs have had big impacts.  D'haqille Williams was number one in 2014 and led Auburn that year with 45 catches for 730 yards.  Taj Williams was number one in 2016 and had 39 catches for 702 yards last year for TCU.  2015 number one had backup numbers at USC for two years but signed a free agency deal this year with Detroit.  2015 number three Dede Westbrook had Heisman-worthy numbers at OU. 

Like D'haquille Williams, Brandon Martin went through Spring practice before his first season at the major college level.  Martin has a fifth year senior throwing to him in a Dan Enos offense that has thrown for 3500 yards two years in a row.  If Martin is healthy he should have plenty of opportunities to have a great year like the Williams at Auburn and TCU.

What we need is a level of maturity in our WR's and TE's that allows them to read coverage packages and bend routes between seams of coverage. That will certainly make it easier for AA to deliver the ball on target and it will offer us opportunities for YAC. It will also make the coverage of DB's more difficult because we are adjusting routes on the fly. Naturally, AA has to be flexible enough to adjust to these routes and deliver a well thrown ball. It is my hope that this is what we will see this Fall. It will certainly not only develop AA's confidence, but also the confidence of each of our younger Receiver's.
Go Hogs Go!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 05, 2017, 05:57:55 pm

From a highly recognized analyst that is pretty lame. Why didn't Phil just say "My prediction for Arkansas is they will win some games and lose some.;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ChitownHawg on July 07, 2017, 03:27:37 am
From a highly recognized analyst that is pretty lame. Why didn't Phil just say "My prediction for Arkansas is they will win some games and lose some.;D

It's not the first time. Heck, we don't have any idea either. That's why most folks are calling for 6 or 7 wins. We haven't been consistent enough to be able to evaluate with any degree of accuracy.
Go Hogs Go!

mizzouman

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 05, 2017, 04:35:22 pm
Picked up Steele's magazine today and I thought I would share some snippets of that which I found. In this case, Steele's 2017 Top 55 Offensive Individual Units. Here they are:

RB: #1 Alabama, #2 Georgia, #4 LSU, #6 Auburn, #16 Texas A&M, #33 Vanderbilt, #44 Arkansas, #53 Kentucky, #54 Tennessee, #55 Missouri

WR's: #4 Florida, #5 Alabama, #14 Texas A&M, #15 S. Carolina, #16 Missouri, #21 Georgia, #27 Ole Miss, #29 Auburn, #40 Miss State, #48 Tennessee

OL: #2 Alabama, #4 LSU, #8 Auburn, #9 Missouri, #10 Ole Miss, #11 Tennessee, #12 Arkansas, #24 Florida, #27 Texas A&M, #32 Kentucky, #38 S. Carolina, #46 Georgia

So Arkansas is ranked #20 at QB (bit of a head scratcher), #44 at RB, Unranked at WR and #12 in the country at the OL. With the loss of Rawleigh Williams I can understand the RB ranking I guess. Probably would have been top 25 otherwise. I guess I can understand the WR projection as well...no one knows how well they will perform. Great projection for the O-Line though, I hope they prove to be Top 3.

http://www.philsteele.com/
So, AA is ranked #20 but has no one to throw to.  Interesting evaluation.

Cinco de Hogo

So Alabama loses the NC because they didn't have a qb but he's good enough to come in ranked #1 in the conference???

Geez, well whatdayaknow!

nwahogfan1

I think ranked a little low at QB.   OL was below average last year and we did not sign any 5 Star kids so until they prove something I don't expect much different so ranking is not justified IMO.

We signed the best WR in Juco and another in the top 10 so I do not expect a huge drop off but I guest I understand the ranking.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: mizzouman on July 07, 2017, 08:25:53 am

They are ranking the overall ability of the QB's to execute their total position at a high level. That does include his ability to throw, not whether he has receivers that can run routes and make a catch. Where was your guy at Missouri ranked WITH the 5th ranked group of receivers in the SEC? I think that is an even more interesting evaluation since you brought it up.
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 06, 2017, 08:23:01 pm
What we need is a level of maturity in our WR's and TE's that allows them to read coverage packages and bend routes between seams of coverage. That will certainly make it easier for AA to deliver the ball on target and it will offer us opportunities for YAC. It will also make the coverage of DB's more difficult because we are adjusting routes on the fly. Naturally, AA has to be flexible enough to adjust to these routes and deliver a well thrown ball. It is my hope that this is what we will see this Fall. It will certainly not only develop AA's confidence, but also the confidence of each of our younger Receiver's.

I don't know how much freedom our receivers and tight ends have to bend routes.  Maybe a lot.  My point is that our receiving corps may look much better in hindsight than it does in July, and Brandon Martin is one reason.  Top ranked juco wide receivers have a pretty good track record.  You have to think Martin saw a pretty good situation at Arkansas. 

PonderinHog

daBoar

Quote from: mizzouman on July 07, 2017, 08:25:53 am
Cornelius is a 2 year starter.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 06, 2017, 07:26:12 am

Yep,   btw..any news on Gunter, he was a darkhorse for me.. thought he might put on some weigh/strength this year and move into the rotation.. I'm sure his injury has held him back.. maybe  a redshirt year?

mizzouman

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 07, 2017, 08:53:59 am
They are ranking the overall ability of the QB's to execute their total position at a high level. That does include his ability to throw, not whether he has receivers that can run routes and make a catch. Where was your guy at Missouri ranked WITH the 5th ranked group of receivers in the SEC? I think that is an even more interesting evaluation since you brought it up.
Well, if that's the case, Lock's ability to throw is much better than AA's. 

As far as the 5th best WR for Mizzou?  I don't think so unless you can put stickem on their already sticky gloves.  Guys needs to catch the ball and we had way too many drop.  Lock's completion percentage should have been much higher.

This is why this guy's evaluation is way off.

mizzouman

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: mizzouman on July 07, 2017, 12:16:58 pm

As far as the 5th best WR for Mizzou?  I don't think so unless you can put stickem on their already sticky gloves.  Guys needs to catch the ball and we had way too many drop.  Lock's completion percentage should have been much higher.

You need to stop trying to hijack threads to talk about Missouri. This is an Arkansas board, we talk Arkansas. Go to your own board.

mizzouman

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on July 07, 2017, 12:26:26 pm
You need to stop trying to hijack threads to talk about Missouri. This is an Arkansas board, we talk Arkansas. Go to your own board.
This thread is about ranking talent in the SEC.  So, if anything, it's in the wrong forum. 

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: mizzouman on July 07, 2017, 12:28:03 pm
This thread is about ranking talent in the SEC.  So, if anything, it's in the wrong forum.

You can also go to your own board.

mizzouman

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

mizzouman

RazorWest

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 07, 2017, 08:26:38 am
So Alabama loses the NC because they didn't have a qb but he's good enough to come in ranked #1 in the conference???

Geez, well whatdayaknow!

If the best QB in the SEC is only the 12th best in the country then it's obvious that SEC QBs are not very nationally relevant. 

Wildhog

Quote from: mizzouman on July 07, 2017, 12:34:13 pm
This is a fact.

Seriously, why hasn't someone started a new board that's halfway decent?  Seems like TB would die a quick death.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

mizzouman

Quote from: Wildhog on July 07, 2017, 12:35:28 pm
Seriously, why hasn't someone started a new board that's halfway decent?  Seems like TB would die a quick death.
Good question.  Actually, TB was started a very long time ago, like early 2000's.  Was one the first sports boards of it's kind.  But, if you look at the board today vs. 15 years ago, the format is EXACTLY  the same.  The guy who runs it, doesn't really have the time to put into it.  The Rivals boards are much better but it's not free. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: mizzouman on July 07, 2017, 12:16:58 pm

Just reporting Phil Steele's rankings. You think he is wrong, let him know at www.philsteele.com . I'm sure he will be concerned. I think Austin Allen is ranked too low and the kid from Auburn is ranked wayyyyyy too high, but what does it matter. Predictions mean nothing, everything is proven in the season.
Go Hogs Go!

mizzouman

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 07, 2017, 02:20:36 pm
Just reporting Phil Steele's rankings. You think he is wrong, let him know at www.philsteele.com . I'm sure he will be concerned. I think Austin Allen is ranked too low and the kid from Auburn is ranked wayyyyyy too high, but what does it matter. Predictions mean nothing, everything is proven in the season.
Phil Steele is always wrong and he knows it so it would be a waste of time telling him what he already knows.

And you are correct.  Rankings mean NOTHING.  You gotta prove it on the field.