Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Scarblog: Saban's complaint about NCAA drug-testing policy for CFP teams

Started by jbcarol, June 02, 2016, 09:25:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/KevinScarbinsky/status/738361719916007424

QuoteHe seemed miffed that the NCAA drug-tested all four teams that made the College Football Playoff last season - Alabama included, of course - and he seemed even more peeved that failing such an NCAA test would result in a six-game suspension this season.

"Let me ask you the question," Saban said during the meat of this rant. "What good does it do a guy that got tested in December to suspend him six games next September? Is this changing behavior? Discipline is not just punishment. It's changing someone's behavior so they have a chance to have more success and have a better chance to be successful.

"I don't think that (suspension) helps. I don't think the guy can even remember. I know I can't remember in September what happened in December of the previous year. So what did we do to help?

"There's greater things besides just punitive action that need to be done to resolve this issue with young people. It may not be resolvable, but we can take steps to try to help people. That's what I would be for."

Saban's stance on this issue was interesting on a number of levels. First, what was his real motivation for complaining about the NCAA punishment? Did Alabama have a player who tested positive last December and will have to sit out six games this season? The coach's rants are often tied to real-world examples that affect his team...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net