Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Comments on the Spring game

Started by nwahogfan1, April 23, 2016, 02:23:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nwahogfan1

I would say the defenses were a little sharper today.  I guess that is to be expected in the spring.  The defenses learn formations and plays and can guess and jump plays.  I love our coverages from our DBs.  They were all over the WRs.  I am a little worried about our 1st team OL.  Do we teach our OL to fire out and block or to stand up catch and push?  Just curious. 

I love our defense.  I think?  Hard to say in a scrimmage.   Lots of good pass rush from the DL without blitzing even from the 2nd DL against the 1s. Again that is either great for the DL or lousy for the OL.   AA did not get much time to throw the ball.  I hope we can get depth at QB and RB because the way we block it looks like we will need all the bodies we can get.

We did not run the ball very effectively but again the Defense is a head of the Offensive right especially on the line.  I am hoping the OL will get much better as the season progresses in the Fall. 

I really enjoyed watching the game on TV.  It was a good crowd and if guessing I would say right around 45,000.  Anybody know the actual attendance?

Go Hogs

AirWarren

Anyone that says rafe peavey should be the starter over Austin Allen, please log off and don't come back.

KlubhouseKonnected

thoroughly mediocre looking at this point.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: AP85 on April 23, 2016, 04:48:54 pm
Anyone that says rafe peavey should be the starter over Austin Allen, please log off and don't come back.

You saw him hit Day in the foot from 10 feet away too huh?
This is my non-signature signature.

westside_player

Unless Austin plays near perfect most the fans that don't understand much about football will want to see a different QB.

And you will hear and read a lot of that this year most likely

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: westside_player on April 23, 2016, 05:10:05 pm
Unless Austin plays near perfect most the fans that don't understand much about football will want to see a different QB.

And you will hear and read a lot of that this year most likely

You could be right.
Even with AA improving as the season goes along, he won't be on par with BA the last half of this last season.
Uninformed fans may get antsy and vocal.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

AirWarren

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on April 23, 2016, 04:57:24 pm

My brother in law and I went "wow" at the same time.

WilsonHog

I would have liked to see another series or two from Town.

AirWarren

Quote from: WilsonHog on April 23, 2016, 05:24:59 pm
I would have liked to see another series or two from Town.

Storey. Not impressed either.

Another thing. Duwop Mitchell. I'm tired of hearing about his explosiveness. I didn't see anything from him that led to believe that he has some sort of game changing ability. I think it's more Trey biddy type hype.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: AP85 on April 23, 2016, 05:26:59 pm

Another thing. Duwop Mitchell. I'm tired of hearing about his explosiveness. I didn't see anything from him that led to believe that he has some sort of game changing ability. I think it's more Trey biddy type hype.

You didn't see him absolutely truck and then run over a defender? It was pretty dang explosive. 

AirWarren

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on April 23, 2016, 05:32:32 pm
You didn't see him absolutely truck and then run over a defender? It was pretty dang explosive.

It was a second team defensive back. No. Not impressed.

HogMantheIntruder

1) Defense will carry the team, at least at the start of the season. This could be another 2014 D that actually plays at that level for an entire season... God I hope so!

2) Hollister is going to be a major weapon this season. Out of everyone, his play made the biggest impression on me.

3) Second team defense looks very good. Sosa is a specimen. He will be feared by the end of the season and garner a lot of national hype going into his sophomore year. going into his sophomore year. Our DB's looked greatly improved over last season, providing tight coverage against a very talented group of WR's. Than you CPR.

4) Hatcher may not have shaken his inconsistency issues. The best thing about our receivers last year was the lack of drops and mental miscues. We had high hopes for Hatcher going into last season, mostly based on his play towards the end of 2014, but it remains to be seen which Keon we will get.

5) Can't wait to get Walker, Whaley, and Hammonds playing. RW looks as good as ever, but the drop off from there is significant.

6) Was the announcer correct that Duwop offered to move to safety???

7) Barring injury, the offensive line is going to be fine. AA had good protection against a very good DL. RW was able to get loose. It's not a finished product by any means, but again, we need talented RB's on the field. We only got a look at one SEC level RB today, IMO. No disrespect to Duwop, but I just don't see it yet.

8 ) Field goal protection should be fine, but we still don't have a consistent kicker. I think we are in for another year reminiscent of Alex Tejada. I'll be surprised if it doesn't cost us at least one this year.

9) I really, really, REALLY want to see RP play in a game.*** Because of his particular skill set, it's very hard to see what he can do when he's wearing that green jersey. There were a couple of times I think he could have made a big play had the whistle not blown because a defender got a hand on him. ***I AM NOT SAYING RP SHOULD BE THE STARTER; let's be clear on that. But he is always one play away from it, and I'd like to know what we've got.

10) Someone not named Sprinkle has got to step up and separate themselves at TE.

Overall, I was very happy with what I saw from the D (1st and 2nd team). The offense, as expected, is missing a few pieces, most of which should be here by Fall. AA is still figuring things out, but I fully expect that he will hit his stride. OL is a little bit ahead of where I expected them to be at this point. Just my .02
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Ramboar

Best quote I heard was the announcer compare AA to Brett Favre, obviously AA is no BF but I do agree that AA has a similar skill set. AA has a ton of zip on the ball imo more than BA. AA can make all throws like BF but as apparent in the spring game much like BF will try to fit the ball in ALOT tighter spaces than his brother. In the end my conclusion is that AA is going to make us shake our heads with some awful passes but will  overcome with some amazing throws. :razorback:
I'll be yo Huckleberry

opineonswine

Not worried about QB.  RB is a question to me.  Defense looks improved ESPECIALLY in the secondary.  OL looked fine to me.  The biggest weakness I saw by far was at RB.

Ramboar

Quote from: opineonswine on April 23, 2016, 06:39:41 pm
Not worried about QB.  RB is a question to me.  Defense looks improved ESPECIALLY in the secondary.  OL looked fine to me.  The biggest weakness I saw by far was at RB.

We have a special combination with Williams and Whaley. I know we havent seen Whaley take a snap yet but this kid is super talented.

I'll be yo Huckleberry

Großer Kriegschwein

My list of "good" things from the total Off-Season so far:

Paul Rhoads: His hire was probably, considering the need for development of the secondary, the biggest story of the off-season. He talks the talk. In the spring game, his players were more productive (albeit in a controlled game environment) than last season. I'm really looking forward to watching them next season.

Randy Ramsey: Stud. Period. Glad he's back and focused. We should see his true potential next fall.

Linebackers: Have gained bulk and speed. Pressure will be taken off of them in the fall by Agim, Ledbetter, Wise and Johnson.

Defensive Line: Should be one of the best defensive lines in the SEC next year. They are big, fast and look to be uber angry.

Cody Hollister is playing the best I have seen from him. Keon + Hollister + Reed + Cornelius + Morgan + Pettway (haven't seen him), should land us one of the best squads around next year. 
This is my non-signature signature.

mhsbc59

From what i saw today i am encouraged and will be looking for big things this season.  And before i get hammered as a sunshine pumper hear me out. 

I will start with what was most impressive to me. We have quality depth on defence. There was not much drop off from the 1's and 2's on Defence.  There was no one that was wide open. All catches where contested and it looks like tackling has improved.  Sosa Agim is a starter and will be playing a lot come fall everyone can see that and it is easy to see.  The DLine as a whole will be a real strength and will be fresh as we look to be able to rotate 7 guys with little to nothing drop off.  The secondary has gotten way better in there zone coverages and as a group has made the most progress this off season coach has them playing will.  Dre Greenlaw is going to has a breakout year he is feeling the holes and doesn't look lost in coverage reminds me of a bigger SAM Olajubutu.  Brooks Elise will be very solid as he has been for 3 years. 

I'm encouraged by what i saw on the Offensive side of the ball.  Williams will be very good a Rb this year he has quick feet and a good burst if he and Walker stay healthy we will be fine at RB.  This receiving core may not have all the draft picks as some receiver cores in the past but from top to bottom 6-7 deep counting TE there is no drop off they can all get open and make plays if called upon. Which brings us to the OL i am not as worried about this group as everyone else.  The mistakes i saw where not a physical issue they where all a technique/experience issue.  Skipper and Ragnaw will be fine.  I believe moving Frolte (spelling?) was genius move and not one made of an, oh snap we need bodies.  He would be a back up roll player on defence but as a LG he can make a lot of money one day.  His pad leave and leg drive are very good and he knows how to use his hands once he has some playing time there I'm calling it all conference.  Our LT looked bad at times but he has talent.  He looks to be thinking to much right now and not just playing once he works on his foot work over the summer he will and the OL will gel and be a very solid group come mid season.  The OL is new and will need time to gel.  Austin Allen can get the job done and i believe will become a clutch player faster than Brandon did.  His arm is adequate and he is better on the move than standing in the pock. Which he be moving around a lot early while the OL comes together.  He has the confidence to lead the team and i think be a top 3 QB in the league next year.

Now i know a lot of people will not be happy with the Offensive production they say to day.  A couple of things those people need to take into account.
  1. The offense is replacing 6 starters and these players have only been a unit for a few weeks of practice
  2. The Defence only had to replace 2 starters. 
  3. Taking 1 and 2 into account Offense is all about timing and rhythm.  Where defence is about controlled aggression.  Most Defense should be way ahead of offence in the spring and early fall.

Have said all that i think this team is look at 8 wins at least regular season with 11 max this coming fall.
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

thebignasty

Our ends are good but Colton Jackson got worked. Bad.

Zach Rogers is small but he was ways glued to someone.

O-line needs someone to step up. Tough sledding running the ball, lots of sacks.

AA picked up a bad snap and immediately rocketed a strike down the middle. Really nice play.  Probably the best play/throw by a QB on the day.

I hope Whaley and Hammonds are ready to play.

Cody Hollister was kind of big Drew Morgan today.  If he stays healthy, he's a good weapon.

Going to disagree with the guy above a bit; pretty sure the green jersey kept Peavey in the game. One time when rolling out he would have been plastered by Wise were he not off limits.

RWIII was untouchable.

Randy Ramsey ran down a well blocked pass in the flat,  took on two blockers and then forced the play out of bounds. Really nice work stopping a play that might have gotten big yards.

Not sure how you judge kick protection. No real rush. Kickers frighteningly inconsistent.  No real improvement there.

PorkRinds

I always hype myself up about the spring game and how much we will know about the team by watching it. Then I watch it and remember why it's not really that great of a measuring stick. I'm hopeful. Watched it once but didn't really pay close attention because I had a house full of kids. But I'll watch again tonight and pay closer attention.

hawg IQ

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on April 23, 2016, 04:57:24 pm
I think A Allen looked to be the starter today, but a little unfair to knock Rafe on that play. They have the touch tackle thing going and he was rushing the throw. He did show signs of being more mobile that we are use to.
go hogs go !

hawg IQ

Quote from: AP85 on April 23, 2016, 05:26:59 pm

Story played very little, don't know how we could judge him based on today !?
go hogs go !

thebignasty

Quote from: hawg IQ on April 23, 2016, 07:30:35 pm
I only saw him on one play. He got sacked,  but they let the play go. He threw it into double coverage and should have been picked. Terrible sample size though, but if he's way behind Rafe it's probably best he didn't play much.

hawg IQ

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on April 23, 2016, 05:14:58 pm
You could be right.
Even with AA improving as the season goes along, he won't be on par with BA the last half of this last season.
Uninformed fans may get antsy and vocal.
Explain how uninformed fans gets antsy and vocal without being informed ?????
go hogs go !

HamSammich

Nah, AA will be fine. Its not like BA was putting the ball into 6 inch windows. This offense will be fine.

hawg IQ

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 23, 2016, 02:23:11 pm
I would say the defenses were a little sharper today.  I guess that is to be expected in the spring.  The defenses learn formations and plays and can guess and jump plays.  I love our coverages from our DBs.  They were all over the WRs.  I am a little worried about our 1st team OL.  Do we teach our OL to fire out and block or to stand up catch and push?  Just curious. 

I love our defense.  I think?  Hard to say in a scrimmage.   Lots of good pass rush from the DL without blitzing even from the 2nd DL against the 1s. Again that is either great for the DL or lousy for the OL.   AA did not get much time to throw the ball.  I hope we can get depth at QB and RB because the way we block it looks like we will need all the bodies we can get.

We did not run the ball very effectively but again the Defense is a head of the Offensive right especially on the line.  I am hoping the OL will get much better as the season progresses in the Fall. 

I really enjoyed watching the game on TV.  It was a good crowd and if guessing I would say right around 45,000.  Anybody know the actual attendance?

Go Hogs

I'm gonna say I got very little out of today's R/W game.  I think it was T Beanum( one of the ends) looked like very good. You can't tell about RB's until fall. Receivers did well, O-line did ok.
   The green shirts and touch football took a lot away from the game period. First string defense was alright, but not really dominant. All in all, just a solid practice, This team will not be defined until fall.
go hogs go !

ricepig

Quote from: hawg IQ on April 23, 2016, 07:41:04 pm
I'm gonna say I got very little out of today's R/W game.  I think it was T Beanum( one of the ends) looked like very good. You can't tell about RB's until fall. Receivers did well, O-line did ok.
   The green shirts and touch football took a lot away from the game period. First string defense was alright, but not really dominant. All in all, just a solid practice, This team will not be defined until fall.

Beanum hasn't practiced this spring.

hawg IQ

Quote from: thebignasty on April 23, 2016, 07:33:06 pm
I only saw him on one play. He got sacked,  but they let the play go. He threw it into double coverage and should have been picked. Terrible sample size though, but if he's way behind Rafe it's probably best he didn't play much.
The kid was 4 star out of high school, we all know he has ability. remember B Allen throwing a pick right in Liberty Bowl just this year ! One play won't and shouldn't give any indication of future potential on any player.
go hogs go !

thebignasty

Quote from: ricepig on April 23, 2016, 07:45:48 pm
Beanum hasn't practiced this spring.

I think Wise was the most impressive defender. Even without being able to hit pressure was altering QB play, and in obvious pass situations he was abusing guys. Ledbetter and Agim would be the next two who stood out.

thebignasty

Quote from: hawg IQ on April 23, 2016, 07:48:40 pm
The kid was 4 star out of high school, we all know he has ability. remember B Allen throwing a pick right in Liberty Bowl just this year ! One play won't and shouldn't give any indication of future potential on any player.

I agree.

ricepig

Quote from: thebignasty on April 23, 2016, 07:49:49 pm
I think Wise was the most impressive defender. Even without being able to hit pressure was altering QB play, and in obvious pass situations he was abusing guys. Ledbetter and Agim would be the two who stood out.

If we can get Led playing like Philon did two years ago, that makes our DE's so much better.

spahoopsfan

I think austin is the better quarterback but to base anything on that game is stupid.  The first string offensive line gave austin time to throw, plays were called to throw whereas the second team offensive line and skill players did a terrible job protecting and there is a big drop off in talent with the receivers.
Lets see apples to apples before you compare and make a silly statement.

hawg IQ

go hogs go !

thebignasty

Quote from: ricepig on April 23, 2016, 07:51:11 pm
If we can get Led playing like Philon did two years ago, that makes our DE's so much better.

Line play will be the key to our defense, no doubt. Dline and wide out look like our deepest positions, right now.

AirWarren

Quote from: hawg IQ on April 23, 2016, 07:30:35 pm

Same reason people are claiming gloom and doom off a spring scrimmage.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: hawg IQ on April 23, 2016, 07:34:15 pm
Explain how uninformed fans gets antsy and vocal without being informed ?????

Through the use of the letter "Q" and random superfluous non-membrane pronouns.
His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

woodhog14

Quote from: opineonswine on April 23, 2016, 06:39:41 pm

Agreed.

waphill

ricepig

RaisinHog

Quote from: spahoopsfan on April 23, 2016, 07:52:17 pm
I think austin is the better quarterback but to base anything on that game is stupid.  The first string offensive line gave austin time to throw, plays were called to throw whereas the second team offensive line and skill players did a terrible job protecting and there is a big drop off in talent with the receivers.
Lets see apples to apples before you compare and make a silly statement.

The game was on here at my house but I have a newborn that was throwing a fit and a wife that just had gallbladder surgery so needless to say I didn't get to watch the game and do much analyzeing but everytime I saw rafe throw the ball it was just a lil floater he did not show off this ubber good arm strength we here about

hawg IQ

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on April 23, 2016, 08:24:34 pm
Through the use of the letter "Q" and random superfluous non-membrane pronouns.
Love it...its not the first time that someone has resorted to a variation of name calling  . But I was being serious with my question, so don't take it personally. I just wanted to know what you meant ?
That letter "Q" has no reference at all to a pronoun , that's an assumption on your part, its only a letter. If you were insulted, that was not my intent. If you can offer up another example, I would gladly stand corrected, if that be the case.
go hogs go !

presidenthog

Austin gets the ball out late. I was in the stands and would see the hole in the defense and watch the WR make his break, THEN austin would turn and throw it. he has to get his timing down and anticipate more. he needs to let that ball go before the break so the defender doesn't have a chance to make a play on the ball.

he hit reed on a post and the defender got to reed the same time the ball did. against better DB'S it could have been a pick.

Prestworthy

Easy...RP was with the 2s all day except for 3 attempts, which he completed.  I think he's more of a runner than a pocket passer and if he were called upon, would be a true dual-threat QB.

presidenthog

I posted this elsewhere but I'll put it here also.

I watched mainly the QB'S and WR's. I usually watch the O and D line but idk what came over me today. any who austin will have to improve. I expect him to probably turn it on in the second half.

it seems his timing and anticipation isn't where it needs to be. (also his chemistry with hatcher) I watched several times that he threw the ball after the reciever had made his break in a route into open space and it gave the DB a chance to make a play on the ball. it's a good thing we have some warm up games at the beginning and summer to go. Hollister looks faster and looks like he might have the best connection with austin actually. I'm hoping Cornelius gets the ball more but hell there is only 1 ball and like 6 guys between sprinkle and the WR corp.

speaking of sprinkle he looks great.

also peavey's footwork coming out from under center is terrible. too many steps and he just has a rushed happy feet look.

I will try to find the full game online and watch the lines and give my synopsis.

also my brother as usual watched the secondaries coverage the whole time and right before the half we did the exact same thing we did all against auburn and every other team. quarters quarters quarters quarters. we run the same coverage every play when it's a 2 minute drill. we have to mix it up or we will get burned like we did last year just getting out schemed.

root_hawg

ricepig

Quote from: root_hawg on April 23, 2016, 09:50:30 pm
Going to be a long season

Yep, starts Sept 3 and lasts until Jan something.......

Hogarusa

It was a sloppy April practice in front of 30,000 fans.  Teams seemed nervous and hyped up too much.  The Saturday practice 2 weeks ago was much more crisp and flowed better.  Means little to nothing. nothing too concerning, the biggest concern to me appears to be a fragile FG kicker.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: hawg IQ on April 23, 2016, 08:54:00 pm
Love it...its not the first time that someone has resorted to a variation of name calling  . But I was being serious with my question, so don't take it personally. I just wanted to know what you meant ?
That letter "Q" has no reference at all to a pronoun , that's an assumption on your part, its only a letter. If you were insulted, that was not my intent. If you can offer up another example, I would gladly stand corrected, if that be the case.

''Q" is obviously a letter.
I used the connecting conjunction "and" meaning also.
If I had connected the two thoughts with "as well as other", then I would have mistakenly equated "Q" with pronouns.

I wasn't using alternative name calling.  I was instead using complete absurdity.

If you are truly, honestly requesting clarification. .......There will be fans that don't understand that we're changing skill sets and experience at QB.   They will not understand (poorly informed) very well the complexity of replacing 60% of your OL AND the QB.

They'll think that BB gets paid a lot of money and we "whupped butt" against some good teams the last two years and why oh why didn't we progress our record at least by one win this year.

Their lack of knowledge and understanding will give them expectations that most likely will not be met.
They'll be grumbly and upset.  They'll blame and gripe.

To me, this should be pretty obvious, but one of us isn't connecting well.  Maybe it's me.  Either way, I doubt this is anything even worth discussing, but you wanted it so here ya go.
His response to me:

WilsonHog

It amazes me that people can watch one controlled intersquad scrimmage and use that as a basis to write off a season that won't start for another four months.

And fans wonder why coaches and players take shots at them from time to time.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: WilsonHog on April 23, 2016, 10:22:23 pm
It amazes me that people can watch one controlled intersquad scrimmage and use that as a basis to write off a season that won't start for another four months.

And fans wonder why coaches and players take shots at them from time to time.

Not sure who you're placing into that categoty.

I'm excited about the coming season.
I think it's a building year though.

I'll be happy with 7-6 or 8-5.
9-4 should get BB The COTY award.

It'll be fun and at times frustrating.

I'm guessing we may see more overall team improvement from game one to our final regular season game than we've ever seen.
We're that raw in places,

We also have the potential and coaching to make that kind of leap.
His response to me: