Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Top Miss. State '16 recruit Jeffrey Simmons beats down woman on video

Started by BigSexyHog, March 27, 2016, 10:05:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggish1

Quote from: southarkhog06 on March 28, 2016, 12:19:51 pm
Sooners lock

Are you kidding that's an aubern kid if I ever heard of one...

KlubhouseKonnected

If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

baitshop

"Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them" - Ronald Reagan

LZH

Whatcha wanna bet that if a grown ass man that actually knew how to fight were to whip this kid's ass, Mullen would come to his boy's defense?

AirWarren

jbcarol

Joey Barnes ‏@JoeyBarnesTV 16h16 hours ago

Important note: Five people have been charged with in connection with the fight involving Jeffery Simmons...not just him.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

RazorWhacker

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on March 28, 2016, 09:36:45 pm
That video is depressing.

No joke. All those kids watching. That's the example they have to follow.

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 28, 2016, 08:53:18 pm
Sad. And there is no excuse for his behavior...But why doesn't anyone ever question those who choose to just stand around doing nothing or would rather be videoing an incident with their cell phone instead of trying to break up a fight? crazy world we live in.
But....trying to help break it up doesn't mean joining in the fight & hitting a woman.

That is the sad part. Those who stand by and watch these type things are just as guilty as those who actually do them. That's allegedly a man beating on a woman, jump in there and stop it, don't film it and giggle about it

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

onebadrubi

Quote from: LZH on March 29, 2016, 04:13:26 am
Whatcha wanna bet that if a grown ass man that actually knew how to fight were to whip this kid's ass, Mullen would come to his boy's defense?

You mean if he ended up like Dak at spring break?  lol

Sow’sEar

my goodness, not only did he do this to a woman who was lying on the ground, but also in front of a several little kids.  He's got to go...

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: RazorWhacker on March 29, 2016, 07:39:45 am
No joke. All those kids watching. That's the example they have to follow.

That is exactly what I was thinking.

jbcarol

Sarah Fowler ‏@FowlerSarah 20h20 hours ago

UPDATED: Simmons to face simple assault charge as well. Macon Chief said the incident was "appalling." http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippi-state/2016/03/28/msu-signee-jeffery-simmons-charges/82344844/ ...

QuoteState signee Jeffery Simmons has been charged with simple assault and disturbing the peace after a video was released showing him striking a woman.

Simmons, the top-rated signee in Mississippi State's 2016 signing class, is accused of striking a woman several times on Thursday evening at Mayfair Apartments in Macon, according to Macon Police Chief Lucious Mason. The incident occurred around 6:30 p.m., Mason said.

Simmons, who lives at the apartment complex, was issued two citations for simple assault and disturbing the peace by fighting. Both are misdemeanor charges. Four others, another man and three women, will be charged in the incident, Mason said.

Monday, MSU spokesperson Sid Salter said, "We are aware of the situation. As more details become available, we will continue to evaluate the situation."

Coach Dan Mullen did not return multiple requests for comment on the situation.

The video shows a woman, surrounded by a large group of people, lying in the street, covering her head. A man The Clarion-Ledger and other media outlets have identified as Simmons stands over her and repeatedly pummels her with his fists as she covers her head. Screaming can be heard in the background as children stand watching.

"It's ridiculous," Mason said. "I'm at a loss for words. This isn't something that should have happened."

Mason noted that children were watching the incident unfold and said, "it's just appalling that adults would get into a situation like that around kids."

Simmons posted an apology on his Facebook account, saying, in part,  "I take full responsibility for my actions on Thursday evening."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

lahawg1

PorkRinds

Quote from: lahawg1 on March 29, 2016, 03:00:43 pm
In this case I don't think the crime fits the charges, simple assault

http://www.cdispatch.com/news/article.asp?aid=49194

What should he be charged with?  Seems like he simply assaulted someone.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: IronMountainHog on March 28, 2016, 12:08:31 pm
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football-news/4699895-mississippi-recruit-video-assault-tate-football-2016-recruiting-class-jeffrey-simmons

Highest rated 5 star incoming recruit for Mississippi State was caught on video pummeling a woman last week with his fists. Will Coach Mullen do the right thing and release him or sweep this under the rug? I am thankful to have a man of integrity in Coach B running things up here.

My guess is, coach Mullen will use a..."5 star broom"...to sweep this problem right under that rug.   ;)
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

LZH

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 29, 2016, 09:03:25 am
You mean if he ended up like Dak at spring break?  lol

What happened to him at Spring break?

PorkRinds

Quote from: LZH on March 29, 2016, 08:13:30 pm
What happened to him at Spring break?

He got jumped and beat up a couple years ago IIRC.

BigSexyHog

No, and he will be team capital bybfall
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Murr

Quote from: IronMountainHog on March 28, 2016, 12:08:31 pm
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football-news/4699895-mississippi-recruit-video-assault-tate-football-2016-recruiting-class-jeffrey-simmons

Highest rated 5 star incoming recruit for Mississippi State was caught on video pummeling a woman last week with his fists. Will Coach Mullen do the right thing and release him or sweep this under the rug? I am thankful to have a man of integrity in Coach B running things up here.

Kid will just wind up in Michigan.  Harbaugh will be all over twitter claiming that recruiting victory, until we smash our phones and TV just so we don't have to hear his attention whore ass.

SemperHawg

They could always go with the old Les Miles philosophy and let the team vote as to weather or not he should play. 

TXrazorback

Quote from: SemperHawg on March 30, 2016, 09:50:29 am
They could always go with the old Les Miles philosophy and let the team vote as to weather or not he should play. 

Sorry, I could't resist:
Quote from: Hawg Balling on December 04, 2012, 03:59:08 pm
According to Hogville, fantasy offense and passing 80 times a game wins championships.

SemperHawg

southarkhog06

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 28, 2016, 09:35:40 pm
Are you kidding that's an aubern kid if I ever heard of one...
nah he didn't steal anything from her ;)

hoghiker

Dan gets paid a lot of money to win-sometimes. I doubt that motivation is trumped by any other consideration. If he does anything, it will be because he has no other choice. Bad behavior, even the  criminal variety, from exceptional athletes is overlooked every season in lots of places. Maybe even most places.

Fiddler

Duke of Swine

How did we get to this point?  Don't know what led up to this , but two grown women fighting in front of kids and then this guy punches one of the women while on the ground.  Read an article the other day where adults went crazy at an Easter egg hunt somewhere in the NE and were knocking over kids trying to find eggs.  What's next?  Unless we start recognizing right from wrong and treating each other with respect, this country is doomed............

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: ricepig on March 30, 2016, 05:54:56 pm
https://twitter.com/zach_barnett/status/715309598698123265

Allow me summarize Dan Mullins comments: "It was not appropriate but it was only a five second video you guys!!!"

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 14h14 hours ago

Mississippi State investigating 5-star signee's alleged assault http://sec.news/1MUefwC

QuoteCoach Dan Mullen said he has spoken to Simmons about the issue, adding that MSU is currently in the process of gathering facts, according to ESPN's Alex Scarborough. Per Scarborough, there is no timetable for a decision on Simmons' status.

"To me, like any situation you get into, you evaluate all the details and research every aspect of it," Mullen told ESPN.com Wednesday. "Our responsibility is to make sure we investigate every part of it.

"I want to see some of the police reports. There's so much more I want to evaluate within the situation before I make a decision about what's best for our program."

Simmons, a five-star prospect and the Class of 2016's No. 19 overall player per 247Sports' composite ranking, was allegedly caught on tape hitting a woman several times in his hometown of Macon, Miss.

A video of the incident was posted to Facebook by the mother of the alleged victim.

hobhog

Quote from: Duke of Swine on March 30, 2016, 08:45:53 pm
How did we get to this point?  Don't know what led up to this , but two grown women fighting in front of kids and then this guy punches one of the women while on the ground.  Read an article the other day where adults went crazy at an Easter egg hunt somewhere in the NE and were knocking over kids trying to find eggs.  What's next?  Unless we start recognizing right from wrong and treating each other with respect, this country is doomed............

There are over 300 million people in this country. Let's not get carried away just because a few are nuts....

rhames

Quote from: hobhog on March 31, 2016, 08:00:02 am
There are over 300 million people in this country. Let's not get carried away just because a few are nuts....

Exactly. While a problem social media today just makes it more noticeable

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

IntegrityHog

Glad we never have to worry about problems like this with CBB running the show here....

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/DJournalnow/status/715889003464114178

QuoteSTARKVILLE – Watchful eyes are upon Mississippi State to see how it handles Jeffrey Simmons after a video surfaced over the weekend showing five-star signee striking a female several times as she lay on the ground.

While the university's stance is still "wait and see" regarding Simmons' gridiron future, Bulldogs' head coach Dan Mullen offered some insight into that thought process.

"To me, like any situation you get into, you evaluate all the details and research every aspect of it," Mullen told ESPN.com on Wednesday. "Our responsibility is to make sure we investigate every part of it.

"I want to see some of the police reports. There's so much more I want to evaluate within the situation before I make a decision about what's best for our program."

The incident occurred last Thursday at Mayfair Apartments in Macon. Simmons, along with three others including the alleged victim Sophia Taylor, were issued misdemeanor citations for disturbing the peace.

Simmons, Keith McCloung and Ashley Bradley also face a simple assault charge after an affidavit was signed against them by Taylor.

Mullen did not condone Simmons' actions on the video but is attempting to grasp all the circumstances surrounding the case.

"The five seconds of video, I don't think there's anything appropriate in it," Mullen said. "That's what everyone is looking at right now, and I don't think Jeffery would say there's anything appropriate in that five seconds of video. I don't think I'd say there's anything appropriate in that five seconds of video you see. But looking at the bigger picture is where we're spending our time."

Simmons issued an apology on Facebook on Sunday afternoon. The 6-foot-4, 277-pounder from Noxubee County...

edt

No he won't. If the guy was a three star, he would have been gone within hours of the news coming out.

ashflathog

Heck, Dan Mullen probably wrote the speech for him. Or at least helped him write it.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 29, 2016, 03:02:03 pm
What should he be charged with?  Seems like he simply assaulted someone.
that is literally the exact same charge that the Trumpf's campaign manager just got charged with for grabbing a girl's arm.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

PorkRinds

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on April 03, 2016, 01:51:02 pm
that is literally the exact same charge that the Trumpf's campaign manager just got charged with for grabbing a girl's arm.

Different states though, right? Simple assault doesn't always mean the same thing in all states. With someone that young, they aren't looking to lock him up.  Simple assault is likely common for what he did and at his age.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Nothing much will happen.  Evidently "5 Star".....means 5 criminal chances.

Guess he's still got 4 more women beatings to go....or robberies, or shoplifting, etc. There are 4 get out of jail free cards.  Nothing really happens till the 5th incident.  Then, he just transfers to another school, in another state.

whosiskid

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 28, 2016, 02:14:53 pm
After watching the video it becomes obvious that his excuse and apology was complete crap.  He wasn't defending anyone's honor.  The woman was already getting her butt kicked.  He just jumped in on it.  He was giddy and excited, you can tell by the way he was jumping around.  Not only that, he left the fight and then came BACK to it.

If you watch carefully, you can see him clinching his hands in a fist as he passes in front of the camera, like he wanted to hit the woman that [his friend? relative?] was already hitting. I'm not sure how you feel you can read "giddy" into it. That implies glee. You can just as easily, and perhaps more rationally (in the sense of adducing reasons) interpret his jumping around as extreme anger. I don't think he was defending anyone's honor, but I think it quite possible that he was genuinely angry at what the other person said.

I really don't think we can say one way or another what his motivation was for jumping in when he did - it seemed to me almost like tag teaming in wrestling, like he was jumping in to take over for his [friend? relative?] - unless we knew what the woman who ended up on the ground said and what the circumstances were for his relatives' deaths. People can get very, very angry very quickly.

I honestly don't know what this whole incident means except that the kid has control issues. I don't know if he has a history of hitting people or if this was an exception. We just lack knowledge of the context.

I do know this: some people can make me very, very angry while others, saying the precise same thing, would not. When I was 10 and my sister was 7, she figured out that there were certain things she could say over and over and over that would make me so angry that I would hit her. She would only say these things if my mother was close enough 1) to break it up once I hit her and 2) close enough to punish me for hitting her. I am not imagining this. My sister has since admitted that she did do this. I was not a violent kid. I did not get in fights. But lord, she could push my buttons. Do we know that his kid routinely hits people, or was this woman an acquaintance who knew how to push his buttons. I'm not trying to excuse his behavior; I'm just trying to say that while it was inexcusable, it could be more complex than we suspect. But I do suspect that the woman who ended up on the ground knew that what she said was going to really tick people off. I just doubt that she thought their reaction was going to be to tag team beat on her rather than just say something back in anger. The whole thing looks like it was a big, public argument. I have no doubt that the woman who ended up on the ground said something that perhaps she should not have. But what made her want to say something emotionally sensitive to begin with? I suspect that if we knew everything, we'd conclude that there was rather a large amount of idiocy on display. Idiocy is one thing; gang thuggery is another. And while the two women were hitting each other for quite a while before he intervened, he hit with rather more effectiveness.

I interpreted his stalking off immediately after hitting the woman as seething anger. Like he knew he shouldn't be hitting the woman. Anyway, the whole thing was disgusting.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

whosiskid

Quote from: ashflathog on April 03, 2016, 05:46:33 am
Heck, Dan Mullen probably wrote the speech for him. Or at least helped him write it.

Just out of curiosity, why would you say that? Do you have any grounds for asserting that? Or do you just want to say something back about Mullen?

We don't know what Mullen's response to this is going to be. But why automatically assume that his reaction will be as unflattering as possible? To be honest, except for Mark Richt, who is now trying to reform the good souls at Miami U, Mullen has always impressed me as one of the classier coaches in the SEC. We may end up thinking that at the end of all this.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

IronMountainHog

Quote from: whosiskid on April 03, 2016, 08:01:55 pm
Just out of curiosity, why would you say that? Do you have any grounds for asserting that? Or do you just want to say something back about Mullen?

We don't know what Mullen's response to this is going to be. But why automatically assume that his reaction will be as unflattering as possible? To be honest, except for Mark Richt, who is now trying to reform the good souls at Miami U, Mullen has always impressed me as one of the classier coaches in the SEC. We may end up thinking that at the end of all this.
If he was classy, this kid would have his a scholarship revoked already. You do not hit a woman 1 time much less 10 times. Coach Bielema has stated if you are disrespectful to women, call them bixxhes, or harm them, you are gone. Mullen is not uncommon.

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: hobhog on March 31, 2016, 08:00:02 am
We have a felon and a loudmouth as our two leading Presidential candidates. Yeah, we doomed.

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 1h1 hour ago

Mullen: Good spring, got a lot of work in. We've got a young team and got a lot of quality reps in.

Any update on Simmons: "No."
How has the evaluation process gone "Good."

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 39 seconds ago

Dan Mullen offers no new information on Jeffery Simmons

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippi-state/2016/05/05/mullen-offers-no-new-information-jeffery-simmons/83972772

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 16m16 minutes ago

Mississippi State is close to a resolution with Jeffery Simmons but there are still some things to work out, per MSU.

Simmons declined to comment on his status at Mississippi State when I asked him earlier today.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: jbcarol on May 05, 2016, 12:14:12 pm
Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 1h1 hour ago

Mullen: Good spring, got a lot of work in. We've got a young team and got a lot of quality reps in.

Any update on Simmons: "No."
How has the evaluation process gone "Good."

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 39 seconds ago

Dan Mullen offers no new information on Jeffery Simmons

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippi-state/2016/05/05/mullen-offers-no-new-information-jeffery-simmons/83972772

Gee...how long does it take to evaluate that video ??   Do they believe that if they watch it 50 times or wait 2 more months, it will turn out different ??

Mullen evidently is going to go easy on Simmons.  It doesn't take that long to figure out that he was dead wrong when he beat that woman.  Mullen is evidently trying to let things cool off a little, so he won't take as much heat when Simmons is back in good graces. 

KlubhouseKonnected

If they take this guy on, and it appears they will, they will be looking pretty culpable in the event he is involved in ANY sort of domestic dispute over the next 3-4 years.

jbcarol

State drawing fire as it nears decision on Jeffery Simmons' status

QuoteDon McPherson, a College Football Hall of Fame quarterback at Syracuse who has spoken out prominently against domestic violence, has a simple test for whether Simmons should be allowed to enroll.

"Here's what you do: Would admissions admit that student? And the answer is no, so why should athletics?" McPherson said, via Jon Solomon of CBS Sports. "As soon as athletics has an admissions policy that is so deviant from the general campus, you have problems."

State's circumstances with Simmons will be even more scrutinized, considering the ongoing situations surrounding domestic violence at Baylor and Tennessee.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/JonSolomonCBS/status/738356404738613248

QuoteThere on video is Mississippi State five-star recruit Jeffery Simmons standing over a woman already on the ground and punching her several times in the face.

Police charged Simmons, an elite high school defensive end who chose Mississippi State over Alabama and Ole Miss, with simple assault. Two days after the video went viral in March, Simmons apologized on Facebook: "My apology goes out to the Taylor Family and especially to Sophia Taylor [the woman he hit]. What was I thinking? Honestly, I wasn't thinking, all I could think was this is my family and I'm supposed to defend my family. ... I truly hope that you will find it in your hearts to forgive me for my actions."

For two months, Mississippi State has remained silent on whether Simmons will be allowed to enroll when summer classes start Thursday. Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen said Tuesday that the university will comment on Simmons' status later this week. When asked what his reaction was seeing the video of Simmons hitting a woman on the ground, Mullen replied, "I'm not commenting on any of that at this time."

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey said the rule doesn't apply to incoming recruits because legal records may be harder to obtain for minors, transfers are generally of age and previously were in a higher educational setting, and youthful mistakes may happen for minors.

"Things are going to happen after signing day, and I know where you guys are swimming," Arkansas coach Bret Bielema said. "Again, that decision is probably a lot bigger than me. I'm not saying my entire career I've recruited all angels, but I definitely know to stay away from certain situations."