Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

markel crawford

Started by skinnypig, April 10, 2017, 03:54:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

skinnypig

Leaving Memphis as a grad transfer.  Wow the Memphis basketball program  is in shambles

King Kong

Tubby is going to get a great going away package

HogAllMighty

April 10, 2017, 04:05:09 pm #2 Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 04:31:33 pm by HogAllMighty
Quote from: skinnypig on April 10, 2017, 03:54:51 pm
Leaving Memphis as a grad transfer.  Wow the Memphis basketball program  is in shambles

Don't think it's in shambles, rather Tubby cleaning house and making a statement.  Even though his statement may earn him a pink slip.

skinnypig

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on April 10, 2017, 04:06:43 pm
No thanks. We're already losing 6 players next year - Macon, Barford, Trey, Cook, Beard and Thomas. 7 would be major. Give me a guy that can contribute at least 2 years and help balance out the roster.

the only upside I see is if Hill actually  is going to move up to class of '18

Hawg Red

Quote from: skinnypig on April 10, 2017, 04:15:11 pm
the only upside I see is if Hill actually  is going to move up to class of '18

Outside of having an experienced starter on the wing that could very much help solidify an NCAA tournament birth, right? That's some upside, IMO.

WooPig90

Id take him, and then we get another open scholly in 18. Sounds good to me

azhog10

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 10, 2017, 04:16:35 pm
Outside of having an experienced starter on the wing that could very much help solidify an NCAA tournament birth, right? That's some upside, IMO.
I like Crawford just worry about having three combo guards on the floor and no PG. It worked with Macon and Barford, it could work with Crawford as well. One thing is for sure, we would have three guys who can take over games. If one gets in foul trouble, or even two for that matter, we'd still have some scoring options at the guard spot.

skinnypig

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 10, 2017, 04:16:35 pm

I meant upside to replacing seven players in 2018.

Hawg Red

Quote from: skinnypig on April 10, 2017, 04:23:53 pm
I meant upside to replacing seven players in 2018.

We're already replacing 6. Once you're wet....

Swinesong1

While Crawford would be a nice addition, I don't know if I'm on board with passing on Hardy, Weathers, Barrett or any other possible multi year contributor for a one season contributor.  Just don't see him as being a huge enough difference maker. 

King Kong

Quote from: HogAllMighty on April 10, 2017, 04:05:09 pm
Don't think it's in shambles, rather Tubby cleaning house and making a statement.  Even though his statement may earning a pink slip.

His statement is fire me and pay me my 12 million

Hawg Red

Quote from: Swinesong1 on April 10, 2017, 04:25:54 pm
While Crawford would be a nice addition, I don't know if I'm on board with passing on Hardy, Weathers, Barrett or any other possible multi year contributor for a one season contributor.  Just don't see him as being a huge enough difference maker.

In a vacuum, I want Crawford for this season. But taking everything under consideration, I'd take Hardy or Barrett over him. I'm not there on Weathers. I'd be fine with any of them, though.

Crawford gives us an experienced starter on the wing with the ability to give us double figures in scoring. I'm not sure we have that right now. I think he's a great bridge for Darious Hall. I don't think Hall or Jones will be ready for that big of a role this season. Crawford takes the heat off that situation.

Swinesong1

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 10, 2017, 04:30:44 pm
In a vacuum, I want Crawford for this season. But taking everything under consideration, I'd take Hardy or Barrett over him. I'm not there on Weathers. I'd be fine with any of them, though.

Crawford gives us an experienced starter on the wing with the ability to give us double figures in scoring. I'm not sure we have that right now. I think he's a great bridge for Darious Hall. I don't think Hall or Jones will be ready for that big of a role this season. Crawford takes the heat off that situation.
Good points

Hawg Red

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on April 10, 2017, 04:45:07 pm
What's not to like about Weathers? Miami, Xavier, Okie lite and Nevada as well as the Hogs have all offered. I really think people are undervaluing the transfer year. We have a lot more to offer than Miami (OH) and he'll get even better going against our players than he would where he was. 16, 4 and 4 as a FRESHMAN. How's that not doing it for ya?

First off, I said I'd glady take him so I don't not like him. What he did as a freshman was impressive but how many players get free reign like that? I guess I'm just skeptical because he was at Miami (OH) in the first place. He could be legit. I'm just not convinced he's better than Hardy, who has been pursued by many high-majors for years (not just because he's available in the late period after a surprise freshman year). I favor Barrett because I love his ball-handling and that he comes from Findlay Prep. I will take any of the three with no issue. Let me be clear about that. Unlike most posters, I'm just not as high on Weathers. None of us really have that much information about these guys. None of them were being talked about here two weeks ago.

I'm not too wrapped up in his offers because players that become available in the late period are at a premium so that enhances their value just by virtue of them being available when schools need someone.

rude1

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 10, 2017, 04:30:44 pm

I think Hall might be the surprise of the incoming class. He gives us something we haven't had in CMA 6 seasons, a wing who can handle the ball effectively to cause a match up problem for defenses. I could see this kid developing into that point forward position that can be very valuable in this system.

Kevin McPherson

HOGINTENNESSEE

hogwood

I would much rather get Hardy. But if a second spot opened up I would get Crawford in a heartbeat. Hardy + Crawford for the win.

HogFoo

April 11, 2017, 11:54:37 am #20 Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 01:37:57 pm by HogFoo
Quote from: rude1 on April 10, 2017, 06:41:51 pm
I think Hall might be the surprise of the incoming class. He gives us something we haven't had in CMA 6 seasons, a wing who can handle the ball effectively to cause a match up problem for defenses. I could see this kid developing into that point forward position that can be very valuable in this system.
this guy is what we need for 18' class. Kevin Easley. Check out his video from other post. Looks like a young Joe Johnson!
Very talented 6'6 220lbs and can handle the ball!  I fall into the category that if J.Hill reclassifies, we either need a grad transfer at PG  or a juco.  I personally like the weather's kid.    But we definitely need this Easley kid.  Even tho it's at a position where we will have talent.  I don't think any of the recruits have his size and ball handling skill.  He's a full grown man already!  And another 4*  top 150 kid who has openly said he hoped that Arkansas recruited him hard.  Basically saying that he would be a Hog if the hogs show him the love. 

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/851138283925114881

Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

azhog10

Quote from: HogFoo on April 11, 2017, 11:54:37 am
this guy is what we need for 18' class. Kevin Easley. Check out his video from other post. Looks like a young Joe Johnson!
Very talented 6'6 220lbs and can handle the ball!  I fall into the category that if J.Hill reclassifies, we either need a grad transfer at OF or a juco.  I personally like the weather's kid.    But we definitely need this Easley kid.  Even tho it's at a position where we will have talent.  I don't think any of the recruits have his size and ball ha fling skill.  He's a full grown man already!  And another 4*  top 150 kid who has openly said he hoped that Arkansas recruited him hard.  Basically saying that he would be a Hog if the hogs show him the love. 

https://twitter.com/ARHoopScoop/status/851138283925114881
Grabbing a Mid West kid and the ark talent we already have committed would be huge. I like his game, and the bigger footprint we can make into the Indianas, Michigans, and Ohios will help recruiting down the road if and when the state of Arkansas has a down year talent wise.

ShadowHawg

Taking Crawford would open another slot for the 18 class where we are on  some good kids if Hill comes in a year early.

Hawg Red

I feel confident we can get one of Hardy, Crawford or Weathers. I'll take that. There's great long-term value in the PGs and great short-term value in Crawford. I don't have a good feel for where we are with Barrett. It seems like Weathers and Hardy are getting the most attention from the staff and it's too early on Crawford. They may just want him if they don't get one of the PGs.

Kevin McPherson

Kevin McPherson

wavybone

I think barford and Macon will both return but if one of them doesn't, Crawford could be a great replacement.

KenHawg2023

But will he wait a month to see what happens with those guys..? Idk

Hawg Red

Quote from: KenHawg2023 on April 14, 2017, 03:48:29 pm
But will he wait a month to see what happens with those guys..? Idk

Not a chance he's available then. Losing one/both of Macon or Barford will hurt us because we'll likely not have an opportunity at a suitable signing. It would probably be another Dee Wagner/Doobie Jenkins-type reach.

Kevin McPherson

Hogimus Prime

Looks like a spot maybe open now for Crawford

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on April 14, 2017, 08:29:25 pm
Looks like a spot maybe open now for Crawford.

If one of Macon or Barford leave, this would definitely help the transition.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Crawford visiting Ole Pis on Weds. I hope we get him in this weekend

King Kong

http://www.wbko.com/content/sports/Memphis-transfer-Crawford-visiting-WKU-419782973.html

Crawford to visit WKU. That would be his second visit after his Ole Piss visit tomorrow

Kevin McPherson

HOGINTENNESSEE

Ole Piss has some good players

forrest city joe

I am going to say it again.when it comes to Memphis players it's anywhere but Arkansas. going to be hard to get any top player out of there.to much Arkansas hate in the media.and with AAU coaches.don't know why we keep wasting time over there.

HogCzar1

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 19, 2017, 08:42:52 pm
I am going to say it again.when it comes to Memphis players it's anywhere but Arkansas. going to be hard to get any top player out of there.to much Arkansas hate in the media.and with AAU coaches.don't know why we keep wasting time over there.

When Larry Finch was struggling with Memphis State, Nolan was able to utilize Scott Edgar and Andy Stoglin to get Ron Huery out of there. After that broke the ice, we had a nice run of players from Memphis, and came within a whisker of getting Penny Hardaway.

Sure, the Memphis radio guys and AAU guys don't want to see the Memphis talent leave, but now has been a chance to get your foot back in the door.

We passed on the Lawsons, and got beat on Crawford by Ole Miss. It's not like we don't have any Memphis connections with Todd Day coaching in LR.

We are banking our future almost entirely on in state kids. That's great if it works, but I don't agree that you discard the chance to go after talent that at least historically has contributed mightily to the program from the Memphis area.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: HogCzar1 on April 19, 2017, 09:31:47 pm
When Larry Finch was struggling with Memphis State, Nolan was able to utilize Scott Edgar and Andy Stoglin to get Ron Huery out of there. After that broke the ice, we had a nice run of players from Memphis, and came within a whisker of getting Penny Hardaway.

Sure, the Memphis radio guys and AAU guys don't want to see the Memphis talent leave, but now has been a chance to get your foot back in the door.

We passed on the Lawsons, and got beat on Crawford by Ole Miss. It's not like we don't have any Memphis connections with Todd Day coaching in LR.

We are banking our future almost entirely on in state kids. That's great if it works, but I don't agree that you discard the chance to go after talent that at least historically has contributed mightily to the program from the Memphis area.

AAU, summer leagues, whatever have a huge influence on kids these days. In our own state some influential people had to rattle some cages of our own programs not make kids come to the U of A but to get them to quit putting it down amongst it's kids.

The scenario you presented is over 3 decades old now. AAU handlers gained huge sway in the late 90s. You can throw anything previous to that time out the window.

NWAHog479

I talked to multiple coaches from Memphis at the WarmUp tournament and when I asked if their players were interested in Arkansas all of their eyes lit up and they answered with an obvious YES. We are definitely on their radar.