Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Georgia hires Kirby Smart

Started by jbcarol, November 30, 2015, 08:30:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/745258882973470721

Not investment advice

QuoteTwenty years before Kirby Smart was named the UGA coach, Jim Donnan patrolled the Bulldogs' sidelines, even coaching Smart during his playing career (1995-98) at UGA.

With Smart set to embark on his first season between the hedges, Donnan provided some advice to his former player on how to use his time and avoid an error he made during his inaugural season in 1996.

"The one thing that I told him was that the biggest mistake that I made my first year was that I spent way too much time with the alumni clubs speaking and trying to promote the program rather than being with the players," Donnan told Bleacher Report's Barrett Sallee. "I felt like I spent enough time with the players, but still, looking at the relationships the first year compared to the second year was night and day."

Smart would know.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Mailbag: How will Georgia do under new coach Kirby Smart?

QuoteJacob Eason, the touted true freshman quarterback, will be the Dawgs starter sooner than later even if it's not in the opener against UNC. He's talented, but keep in mind that unlike some other also hyped true freshman QBs, Eason didn't quite face the same level of competition in high school these other guys did. Adjusting to the speed of the SEC could take more than many expect.

If Nick Chubb is back to 100 percent, the offense should still be formidable, although they do have to fill some holes on the O-line and there is pressure for a new No. 1 WR (Terry Godwin?) to emerge. Maybe 6-5 JC transfer Javon Wims can be that guy.

Losing to any ACC team that isn't Clemson or Florida State in Atlanta won't look good to UGA fans, but UNC is underrated. I still think the Dawgs win, but the double of at Ole Miss and then Tennessee is much trickier. My hunch is Georgia opens 3-2, but after that things ease up a bunch. They get Auburn and Georgia Tech in Athens and Florida is a fringe top-25 team this year. I'll say anything less than nine wins would be disappointing.

jbcarol

Smart still trying to find his way

QuoteWord is first-year Georgia head coach Kirby Smart is struggling with his overall management style of the football program and its effect on the operational aspect of the team. The Bulldogs are 3-2, and though this is a rebuilding project where the Nick Saban disciple has an inexperienced true freshman QB, an underwhelming O-line and only one starter back in his front seven, this is an issue worth keeping eye on.

jbcarol

Smith: Poor discipline has stolen away many great victories

QuoteATHENS — Yellow flags lying motionless on the grass, stands filled with joyful anticipation and a reporter trying to figure if there were ever a late touchdown comparable to what Georgia had in its grasp last Saturday — all reflected the lamentable scene of counting chickens afore hatching.

You expect celebration from fans. It's okay for the reporter getting his writing act together by trying to recall something similar. I was aghast, however. Ten seconds remaining in today's game requires that you button up victory before you celebrate.

A believer that Georgia could win the game was none other than Athletic Director Greg McGarity as the Bulldogs got the ball back for the last time.  "Let's find a way to win," he said, confirming that he was keeping the faith.

And then, lightning struck. The precocious quarterback hit the precocious wide receiver, and victory was in the red and black column.  Or should have been. Then the guys with dry armpits cost Georgia the game.  The guys assigned for bench duty — the non-combatants for the day — illegally joined those who sweated, toiled, gave of themselves in an old fashioned jaw-to-jaw effort that ranks with the best such performances ever between the hedges.

You know the rest of the story. Those deserving of  victory were denied because discipline was not fully honored. There has been a culture of ill-discipline plaguing Georgia for some time, and the new coach and his staff have tried ardently to bring about a new culture.

Several thoughts leapt into my cranial sphere...

jbcarol

Jason Butt Verified account
‏@JasonHButt

Zero Georgia players made the coaches' All-SEC first or second teams this year.

jbcarol