Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ben Howland: From LA to Mississippi State

Started by jbcarol, March 22, 2015, 09:31:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Rob Dauster @RobDauster  ·  24s 24 seconds ago
Ben Howland emerges as a serious candidate at Mississippi State, sources told NBCSports http://wp.me/p1aWjM-2cqk
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Gary Parrish @GaryParrishCBS  ·  4h 4 hours ago
Also worth noting on Ben Howland: Mississippi State is an adidas school and Howland has strong ties
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Hawghiggs

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  40m 40 minutes ago

Ben Howland expected to accept Mississippi State basketball job, report says | http://ow.ly/KG2dD

QuoteBen Howland is on the verge of reaching an agreement to become head basketball coach at Mississippi State, according to a report Monday by CBS Sports.

The 57-year-old Howland, who coached UCLA to three Final Fours, emerged as a serious candidate in Starkville on Sunday. Mississippi State fired Rick Ray on Saturday after three seasons.

Howland has been out of coaching since 2013, when he was fired by UCLA after a first-round NCAA tournament exit. He took the Bruins to the Final Four three straight seasons from 2006-08 -- including a national runner-up finish the first year -- but didn't make past the round of 32 over his final five years in Westwood.

Howland -- who worked as a television analyst for NBC Sports Network this past season -- also coached at Northern Arizona and Pittsburgh, reaching the Sweet 16 in back-to-back years with the Panthers before taking the UCLA job. Mississippi State has not made the NCAA tournament since 2009, and has not won a tournament game since 2008.

Ray went 37-60 at Mississippi State, including 13-19 this past season. The Bulldogs went 13-41 in the SEC and did not record a winning record under his tenure.

jbcarol

Hugh Kellenberger @HKellenbergerCL  ·  19h 19 hours ago

ICYMI, my column on Mississippi State needing someone who can pull everyone in the same direction. http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/2015/03/22/kellenberger-charisma-needed-msu/25172965/ ...

QuoteI don't know who Mississippi State's next basketball coach is going to be, but I feel pretty confident in saying the charisma will be evident upon arrival.

That's what that program needs right now. Someone to connect with fans who have fallen off the wayside during the last few, mostly miserable, seasons. Someone to pull everyone together in the athletics department, and get their respect immediately. Someone that understands that Mississippi State is not an easy job, but if Dan Mullen, John Cohen and Vic Schaefer can all win there then he probably can, too...

In short, Mississippi State needs its own version of Bruce Pearl at Auburn (just minus the NCAA baggage, because Stricklin is unlikely to have any appetite for that; so cross Houston's Kelvin Sampson off your list ... And while we're knocking off names Kentucky assistant Kenny Payne is unlikely to get any more traction than he did three years ago)...

There was not a ton of interest in Mississippi State when Rick Stansbury "retired" three years ago, but the actual job is probably better now (one of the reasons why I wrote Ray deserved one more season). There's a decent base of talent built around guard Craig Sword, and there are no skeletons in the closet either. But the Southeastern Conference is better than it was in 2012, in part because of guys like Pearl coming into the league. So a better team could find it more difficult to move up the standings.

If it were me, my first call is to former UCLA coach Ben Howland. That'd be a home run hire, and he told USA Today last month he's very interested in getting back into coaching...

There are other names out there, and Stricklin may even already know who it is, but it's quite clear what the objective will be for the next guy: win, and fill the Hump.

jbcarol

SportsCenter @SportsCenter  ·  2m 2 minutes ago

Former UCLA head coach Ben Howland is finalizing agreement to become Mississippi State head coach. (via @GoodmanESPN)

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN  ·  16m 16 minutes ago

Ben Howland has reached a verbal agreement to become the Mississippi State coach, sources told ESPN. He is en route to Starkville now.

Ben Howland likely to hire Korey McCray -- who has strong Atlanta ties. Howland hired McCray at UCLA.

jbcarol

Evan Daniels @EvanDaniels  ·  19m 19 minutes ago

Ben Howland is who Mississippi State wanted. There's been mutual interest between the two parties for months, one source says.

The_Iceman

Cresthog

Damn. Good hire.

Things are really heating up in the SEC.

I don't think there's anyone out there that Bama can actually get who would be better than Howland.

They're not getting Marshall and I'm not even sure Miller would go from Dayton.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hobhog

Howland has had sucess almost everywhere he has been, yet keeps getting fired. Just sayin....

And Starkvegas ain't LA.......

jbcarol

Gary Parrish @GaryParrishCBS  ·  3h 3 hours ago

I'm told no other candidate was seriously considered by Miss State. Scott Stricklin had this basically done before he fired Rick Ray.

jbcarol

Michael Bonner @MikeBBonner  ·  2h 2 hours ago

MSU will be SEC's only school whose FB coach got to a NY 6 bowl, hoops coach went to a Final Four, and BB coach with a CWS appearance

Razorback7281

Quote from: jbcarol on March 23, 2015, 02:09:01 pm

MSU will be SEC's only school whose FB coach got to a NY 6 bowl, hoops coach went to a Final Four, and BB coach with a CWS appearance
Arkansas has 2 out of 3 of those.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 16, 2015, 08:55:43 pmgurantee I'm smarter then you..but that's not saying much.
Quote from: talley on September 17, 2015, 09:53:38 am
you misspelled "Guarantee" while trying to talk about how smart you are.  Epic Fail.
Quote from: Lanny on October 16, 2015, 07:37:58 am
Good job everyone except Faldon.

MikePiazza

Quote from: Cresthog on March 23, 2015, 11:32:12 am
Damn. Good hire.

Things are really heating up in the SEC.

I don't think there's anyone out there that Bama can actually get who would be better than Howland.

They're not getting Marshall and I'm not even sure Miller would go from Dayton.

If you strike out on those two, then you either try to do whatever you can to convince Tom Crean he's in over his head at Indiana, or get Jerod Haase from UAB.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Cresthog

Quote from: MikePiazza on March 23, 2015, 02:20:30 pm
If you strike out on those two, then you either try to do whatever you can to convince Tom Crean he's in over his head at Indiana, or get Jerod Haase from UAB.

What about the Buffalo guy?

Or worst case the Georgia State guy haha?

jbcarol

Bob Carskadon @bobcarskadon  ·  4h 4 hours ago

Re: coaching search, I'll be quick to share any news as soon as it's ready to be shared, but the job duties preclude me from the rumor mill.

jbcarol

Jerry Meyer @jerrymeyer247  ·  2h 2 hours ago

The biggest question concerning Ben Howland's staff at MSU is whether or not Horatio Webster (father of Malik Newman) will be on it.

MikePiazza

Quote from: Cresthog on March 23, 2015, 02:28:20 pm
What about the Buffalo guy?

Or worst case the Georgia State guy haha?

I doubt Hurley wants to coach in the SEC. And we all know that you don't hire a coach for one run in the NCAAs, which really was just one upset of a flawed Baylor team.

See Heath, Stan.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

GoHogs1091

Howland's first immediate priority will be to land Malik Newman.  If he lands Newman, then Newman will be their starting PG, with I.J. Ready as the backup.  Ready scored 18 points in the SECT against Auburn, and he would provide a lot of experience for them as a backup PG.  Landing Newman also probably means that Tookie Brown will need to not go to MSU, and he will need to go somewhere else.

Howland's second immediate priority could be to get a Center who is an immediate scorer.  Right now, Ware is their only Center with adequate scoring.  Howland will probably want to keep Ndoye for his defensive capability (Ndoye is 6'11").

Howland will probably also need to get a Small Forward to backup Houston.  That would mean Joseph Strugg would need to not go to MSU, and he go somewhere else.

One aspect that should happen for them is their current players improving under Howland's coaching and his Coaching Staff's coaching.  That was a problematic aspect under Rick Ray.  Their current players didn't improve much over time, particularly Ware.  It was primarily because of Ray's Assistant Staff (which wasn't very good).

Here is what their possible Roster will be next season.

Point Guards

Newman  5-Star  (if they land Newman)
Ready

Shooting Guards

Sword  4-Star
Thomas    Thomas scored 14 points against Kentucky this season coming off the bench for MSU
Daniels   6'8"
Weatherspoon  4-Star

Small Forwards

Houston  6'7"  has a lot of potential and he played well down the stretch as a Freshman
Someone that Howland immediately lands

Power Forwards

Black   6'9"
Zuppardo  6'9"  Didn't play this season because of injury. 

Centers

Ware  4-Star
Someone who Howland immediately lands who is an immediate scorer
Ndoye  6'11"

If they land Newman, and if Howland gets another Center who is an immediate scorer, Howland should be able to win at least 20 games next season.

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN  ·  19m 19 minutes ago

Mississippi State expected to officially announce Ben Howland at news conference tomorrow, source told ESPN. Four-year deal, per source.

4 years is the maximum allowed by state law.

jbcarol

Matthew Stevens @matthewcstevens  ·  3h 3 hours ago

Honest question: Doesn't @adidasUS being a major reason for MSU-Ben Howland deal, end Bulldogs fans complaints about the deal w/ @adidasUS?

husker71

jbcarol

Michael Bonner @MikeBBonner  ·  1h 1 hour ago
Tremendous info --> RT @CourtneyRCronin Horatio Webster to fill a spot on Ben Howland's staff at Mississippi State? http://on.thec-l.com/1bpbabH

jbcarol

UPDATE with comments from Scott Stricklin and Ben Howland: MSU announces Howland as its new basketball coach. http://on.thec-l.com/1C5XBXo

Regarding the presser at 2:30 p.m. tomorrow, fans are invited. It will be held at the Hump.

Ben Howland will throw the first pitch at Mississippi State's game tomorrow in Pearl against Southern Miss.

jbcarol

Andy Katz @ESPNAndyKatz  ·  13h 13 hours ago
One last Miss State tweet: Rick Ray was recruiting the past two weeks, completely unaware that he was about to be fired.

jbcarol

Quote from: husker71 on March 23, 2015, 08:39:34 pm
any news or ideas of his assistants???

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN  ·  11h 11 hours ago
Ben Howland likely to hire Korey McCray -- who has strong Atlanta ties. Howland hired McCray at UCLA.

jbcarol

Bob Carskadon @bobcarskadon  ·  11h 11 hours ago

Updated the blog with some thoughts on Howland from national media types. Peruse at your leisure. https://hailstatebeat.wordpress.com/2015/03/23/ins

QuoteHowland offered a view into the style of play he plans to employ, and it appears State fans can expect an up-tempo game, a switch he made late in his tenure at UCLA.

In his final season with the Bruins, that style of play helped his team average 74 points per game as it won the Pac-12 title.

"It's something I should have done much earlier in my career," he told USA Today. "That is a regret, because I thought it really helped us. [Arizona coach] Sean Miller told me this fall it was really tough for them to deal with how much we pushed the ball. We beat them three times that year. That's something — pushing the tempo — that I'll always do moving forward. It really helped."

Beyond style of play, it would appear recruiting and talent development are high on Howland's list of priorities as he's had over 20 of his players go on to the NBA, including the likes of Russell Westbrook, Kevin Love, Darren Collison and Jordan Farmar. Twice at UCLA (2008 and 2012) his recruiting classes were ranked as No. 1 in the country by 247Sports...

jbcarol

Three things bring Ben Howland the most joy in life: Family, fly fishing and coaching basketball.

His passion for the final item on that list is so great that he eagerly traded a relaxing lifestyle and daily walks on the beach in his hometown of Santa Barbara for a high-stress rebuilding job in Starkville, Miss.

QuoteConstant roster turnover, fractured relationships with Los Angeles area high school and AAU coaches and a string of mediocre recruiting classes led Howland's firing at UCLA. It's often cited that he won the Pac-12 regular season title the year he was fired, but the Bruins also missed the NCAA tournament twice in his final five years and failed to make it out of the opening weekend the other three times.

While the second half of Howland's UCLA tenure calls into question whether he is the right man to sustain success, the entirety of his body of work leaves no doubt that he is the ideal hire for a rebuilding job.

He's a hard worker and outstanding tactical coach who has proven he can win with all sorts of players in all parts of the country. There's no reason to believe he won't do the same for Mississippi State.

jbcarol

MSU Men's Basketball @HailStateMBK  ·  13h 13 hours ago

MSU fans, welcome the 20th head coach in Mississippi State history, @Ben_Howland! http://www.hailstate.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=16800&ATCLID=209979194 ... #HailState

jbcarol

Paul Finebaum @finebaum  ·  13h 13 hours ago

Much credit should go to @stricklinMSU for standing tall and delivering strong with the hiring of Ben Howland.

jbcarol

Michael Bonner @MikeBBonner  ·  4h 4 hours ago

A Howland wind of change for MSU: Mississippi State made a home-run hire Monday. http://on.thec-l.com/1bqc9Z5 

QuoteSTARKVILLE – Scott Stricklin orchestrated an extreme makeover in about 55 hours.

The facelift concluded Monday night when Stricklin, the school's athletic director, announced Ben Howland as Mississippi State's new basketball coach.

"We have a coach who is a proven winner that's taken three schools to the NCAA Tournament," Stricklin said in a statement. "Ben is someone who is ready to invest in the people of Mississippi and Bulldogs everywhere, while bringing championship basketball back to the Hump."

Humphrey Coliseum will be the site of Howland's introductory press conference at 2:30 p.m. today. Fans are invited.

The Clarion-Ledger confirmed a report by ESPN.com's Jeff Goodman that Howland is expected to hire Korey McCray as an assistant coach. McCray worked as an assistant at LSU until stepping down in 2014.

An assistant under Howland at UCLA, McCray recruited Callaway guard Malik Newman for LSU. He began recruiting the nation's top guard as a freshman.

jbcarol

Quote from: husker71 on March 23, 2015, 08:39:34 pm
any news or ideas of his assistants???

Gary Parrish @GaryParrishCBS  ·  2h 2 hours ago

Been reported that Korey McCray will be on Ben Howland's Mississippi State staff. Barring a surprise, Ernie Zeigler will too, I'm told.

Cresthog

Malik Newman's dad?

I'd like to crap a brick if that happens.

jbcarol

Quote from: Cresthog on March 24, 2015, 01:06:41 pm
Malik Newman's dad?

I'd like to crap a brick if that happens.

Under former coach Rick Ray, Malik Newman, a five star prospect and the top-rated guard in the nation, was priority No. 1 for Mississippi State.

Even with a new regime, that won't change.

Quote"I'm very surprised, but it also lets you know that Mississippi State is getting serious about basketball in order to go after a guy like that with a proven track record, a guy of that kind of magnitude," said Horatio Webster, Newman's father and a former Mississippi State standout in the late 1990s.

Newman has never officially announced his finalists, but Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Kansas, Kentucky, LSU and N.C. State are in the running to land the Chargers star.

Newman has said that he aims to go to college for one year before declaring for the NBA Draft. Howland has a proven track record of sending players from college to the pros.

"From what I heard (Howland) has just as many players in the NBA as (Kentucky coach John Calipari) Cal does," Webster said. "The fact that he went to three straight Final Fours, that in itself speaks volumes. Mississippi State wasn't far off. I think if Coach Ray would have been there another year they might have made it with the juniors and seniors they have."

Howland's hire drew speculation that he would extend an offer to Webster to serve as an assistant coach. It's completely legal within NCAA rules, though not regularly exercised by many programs.

"Absolutely not, I'm not a coach at all," Webster said. "I don't want the headache. I'm already getting grey hairs on both sides of my head."

Multiple sources have confirmed ESPN's report that Howland is expected to add former UCLA assistant Korey McCray to serve under him in Starkville.

McCray already possesses a relationship with Newman. The former LSU assistant served on Johnny Jones' staff during the 2013 season and played an integral role in recruiting the five-star prospect.

"He's recruited Malik since ninth grade," Webster said. "He has a good relationship with him. They talk from time to time and I have a pretty good relationship with him, too. When he left LSU, the recruitment (of Malik) stopped."

Newman has a busy schedule in April with the McDonald's All-American Game, Nike Hoops Summit and Jordan Brand Classic.

The guard told The Clarion-Ledger that he plans to schedule official visits in the near future but doesn't know which schools. Newman has not set a date when he will announce his college decision but it will likely come after the NBA Draft early entry deadline on April 26.

"Regardless of whether they do or don't get Malik, it's a great hire," Webster said.

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN  ·  1h 1 hour ago

Gotta wonder if Ben Howland regrets taking Mississippi State -- now that Arizona State popped open. Starkville or Tempe? LOL

Cresthog

Quote from: jbcarol on March 24, 2015, 02:09:31 pm
Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN  ·  1h 1 hour ago

Gotta wonder if Ben Howland regrets taking Mississippi State -- now that Arizona State popped open. Starkville or Tempe? LOL

Another job Bama will have to compete with..

jbcarol

Ben Howland @Ben_Howland  ·  4h 4 hours ago

One of my first tasks on campus? Surprising @whitwaide's government class. What a great student body! #HailState

jbcarol

Hugh Kellenberger @HKellenbergerCL  ·  30m 30 minutes ago

Talked to former UCLA assistant Scott Garson today. Loves Howland, but Garson said he's happy being a head coach (NAIA College of Idaho).

jbcarol

David Brandt @davidbrandtAP  ·  5h 5 hours ago
Howland says MSU president Mark Keenum talked with him last night and made one thing clear: "You must beat Ole Miss."

Scott Stricklin says Howland's deal is worth an average of $2.05 million over four years.

jbcarol

loganlowery @loganlowery  ·  6h 6 hours ago
Howland says he took the recruiting test this morning and he made a perfect score. Was up til 2:30 am studying.

jbcarol

Ben Howland plans to bring big-name talent to Starkville http://on.thec-l.com/1C8PTM2

QuoteHowland attracted players to UCLA. He dropped household names during Tuesday's press conference, which included Kevin Love and Russell Westbrook.

Among the annals of Bruins basketball, those names are buried among Hall of Famers Bill Walton and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. In Starkville, their on-court performance would command more notoriety.

Mississippi State has had one first-round draft pick since 1997.

"I hope he can get me there," MSU senior Craig Sword said. "I want to be there one day, I hope a couple more guys on the team too."

Howland has four seniors on the 2015-16 roster, led by Sword, a second-team All-SEC selection. He has yet to meet with MSU's 2015 signees, but plans to soon. The 2002 Naismith Coach of the Year is scheduled to meet with Quinndary Weatherspoon, the Bulldogs' top signee, on Thursday.

Howland has yet to announce a staff. He's expected to hire Korey McCray, a former LSU assistant coach. McCray has recruited Malik Newman, the top player in Mississippi, since his freshman season.

McCray worked with Howland at UCLA as well and won with high level talent. They hope to do the same in Starkville.

"I have 280 text messages since yesterday afternoon, and a number of them are from Russell Westbrook, Kevin Love, Darren Collison, etc., etc.," Howland said. "That makes me feel great that they feel so connected."

Starkville isn't Los Angeles and Mississippi State isn't UCLA. Neither deterred Howland from high expectations...

jbcarol

Hugh Kellenberger @HKellenbergerCL  ·  6h 6 hours ago
Ben Howland ducking and evading  the couple of questions about how things ended at UCLA. Pivoting to early success there.

jbcarol

Michael Bonner @MikeBBonner  ·  10h 10 hours ago

How Mississippi State and Ben Howland agreed to a four-year, $8.2 million deal http://on.thec-l.com/1brsUmH 

Quote"I think this is a special place," Howland said. " I know that (my wife) Kim and I will be very happy here because of the community and the type of people in this community. That's really important to me. To play and compete against the very best in the country in the SEC excites me."

Mississippi State's men's basketball position officially opened at noon on Saturday. Stricklin announced Howland's hire at 7 p.m. on Monday.

The quick turnaround made many believe Stricklin and Howland talked prior to MSU firing Ray.

"When my thought process started ending on a certain point as far as making a change I sent some feelers out just to get a sense for what he's thinking," Stricklin said. "I was optimistic, but it's surprising how fast it can go sometimes. And in this case probably because we weren't talking to three or four people.​"

The relationship between the two dates back to when Stricklin was at Kentucky and Howland coached at UCLA. When a spot a MSU opened the two began talking again.

Stricklin said that he and Howland exchanged phone calls on Saturday evening, which continued through Sunday. On Monday, they met in Atlanta to finalize the deal.

"There was no question in my mind there was one target we had to start with," Stricklin said. "And that was Ben Howland."

After the deal was agreed upon, the families of Stricklin and Howland met at Mark Keenum's house for dinner. MSU's president told Howland all he needed to know to succeed in Starkville.

Hog_One_Stop

He may be a good coach but its still  Starkville, MS.   

jbcarol

Hugh Kellenberger @HKellenbergerCL  ·  54m 54 minutes ago

ICYMI, my column on the Ben Howland hire and learning from past mistakes. http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/2015/03/24/kellenberger-wow-hire-msu/70403390/ ...

QuoteSTARKVILLE – Ben Howland did everything he was supposed to during day 1 as Mississippi State's new basketball coach. He honored the program's legends. He spoke of family and the football team winning and Dak Prescott. He rang a cowbell, and he even answered a question about a Twitter hashtag (which probably had to be the most unusual for him, since this is a man who until Tuesday had Tweeted three times in 2.5 years, the last two in August 2014).

It was all perfectly nice, if a little bland: Howland, 57, is not exactly the kind of personality who is going to overwhelm you in that type of setting. He was perfectly nice meeting people individually, and besides athletics director Scott Stricklin didn't hire Howland to nail the introductory press conference. Stricklin hired Howland to win basketball games, which he has done extraordinary well during a 19-year career.

There's very little not to like about a program with one total Final Four appearance hiring a coach who has been to three of them, and who produced 18 NBA players during a 10-year run at UCLA...

It's the "yeah, but ..." to Howland's career: after the three consecutive Final Fours he recruited a string of players who for a lot of reasons were not able to live up to that previous success. Worse, some of them were real idiots. Like Reeves Nelson, who bullied his way through the UCLA program from 2009-11. A Sports Illustrated story from 2012 writes of the level of discord in the program, and Nelson making life difficult for everyone around him (he probably ran off Matt Carlino, a genuinely nice kid who turned out to be an above-average point guard for BYU and Marquette).

Maybe it was because of those problems, or maybe it led to it. But either way, word got out in the southern California basketball community and suddenly no one from UCLA's home base was signing up to play for the most-decorated program in the area. The No. 1 recruiting class Howland signed in 2012? From Nevada, Georgia and New Jersey...

...State fans will love the offensive efficiency of Howland's teams (a sore spot under Rick Ray, who was always bottom-100 in Division I). Howland doesn't play golf or have many hobbies; he's a basketball coach who is going to wake up every morning and coach, recruit and talk about basketball. Howland will also be adaptable to the talent at hand, which is why he won quickly at Northern Arizona, Pitt and UCLA before now...

Stricklin said he read the SI article, and that he asked some people what they thought about it. There were no issues of NCAA impropriety, which was the biggest thing to him, and Stricklin said he mostly chalked it up to that during a two-decade-long career you're bound to make a couple of mistakes...

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN  ·  7h 7 hours ago

Also, regarding Mississippi St -- hate how things went down w/ Scott Stricklin firing Rick Ray after just 3 years, but Howland a great hire.

jbcarol

Adam Zagoria @AdamZagoria  ·  10h 10 hours ago
"This will be the best job I've ever done." new Mississippi State coach @ben_howland on ESPN

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN  ·  24h 24 hours ago
Ben Howland to retain George Brooks. Was on Rick Ray and Rick Stansbury's staff. So, staff is Korey McCray, Ernie Zeigler, Brooks.