Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

247Sports predicts every SEC team's first SEC loss

Started by redleg, August 21, 2019, 08:27:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

redleg

It appears that 247Sports played it safe with these predictions. I'll be interested to see how wrong they are by the end of the season.
I will stick with my pre-season prediction, and say the Hogs first SEC loss will be to A&M.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/Nick-Saban-Alabama-Crimson-Tide-Georgia-Bulldogs-Florida-Gators-LSU-Tigers-schedule-first-loss-SEC-134631369/
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

go hogues

Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: go hogues on August 21, 2019, 09:05:08 am
I don't understand the hype MSU is receiving.

Neither do I. Someone must know something I don't. All I know is they lost the 2 most important positions on the field—quarterback and their entire defensive line—since last year.

The writer of this article seems pretty confident in Miss State's sister-wife Ole Miss too.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

nwahogfan1

So often teams are predicted based on how well they did last year.  MS ST had a good team last year and a VERY good defense but they lost a bunch on both sides of the ball so I just do not see them sustaining last years success but SEC writers will not do their research and make a more educated prediction.   

Fans live on the cool aid of very loyal and very biased reporters.   Reality is usually somewhere in the middle.

PorkSoda

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on August 21, 2019, 09:24:09 am
So often teams are predicted based on how well they did last year. 
I usually base my predictions on how well they did next year.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

LZH

Seems MSU has taken our place as normally the third or fourth best team in the west......

rtr

The media is in love with Joe Moorehead for some reason.  He underperformed last year and this year will be worse.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

redleg

Quote from: LZH on August 22, 2019, 06:53:58 am
Seems MSU has taken our place as normally the third or fourth best team in the west......

Only for the moment.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Dark Helmet Hog

They should start trending down. I would sell now.

Hogwild

based on their schedule- on paper they are penciling in 8 wins before they get to the toss ups games

4 OOC wins (ULL, USM, Kansas ST, ACU)
2 East wins (Tennessee & Kentucky)
2 West wins (Ole Miss & Arkansas)  Note State beat them 87-9 last season

2 possible upsets Top 15 teams (Auburn & A&M) Note State beat both teams last season
2 giant killers  Top 10 teams (Bama & LSU)

Al Boarland

August 22, 2019, 08:24:38 am #10 Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 08:52:37 am by Al Boarland

What hype?  This article is about their first loss.  Below is who they play leading up to Auburn.

Louisiana
Southern Miss
Kansas State
Kentucky

Everyone thinks we are going to beat Tucky, so they must be terrible, right?  Until proven otherwise the Miss St program is in better shape than we are.

Porkys Revenge

Looks like they recruit really well. We stole Greg Brooks from them last year. I figured he'd be good in a couple years but dude has come in and grabbed a starting roll. Pretty amazing.

26.2Hog

Quote from: rtr on August 22, 2019, 07:11:10 am
The media is in love with Joe Moorehead for some reason.  He underperformed last year and this year will be worse.

Pretty much agree, but at the same time I won't talk trash about a team that beat us 52-6 last year.

HogPharmer

Quote from: rtr on August 22, 2019, 07:11:10 am

If going 8-4 in the regular season with a FIRST YEAR head coach is considered underperforming, then where do I sign up? 2 of those losses were on the road to Top 5 programs.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

RME

Quote from: HogPharmer on August 22, 2019, 08:52:44 am
If going 8-4 in the regular season with a FIRST YEAR head coach is considered underperforming, then where do I sign up? 2 of those losses were on the road to Top 5 programs.

This board has hated on Mississippi State forever. Until they give me reason to do so, I'm not gonna hold my breath.

They rank something like 92nd in the country in returning production for this year. If Moorhead wins 8 games with that, then yeah, I'm gonna say they'll be alright long-term.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Al Boarland on August 22, 2019, 08:24:38 am
What hype?  This article is about their first loss.  Below is who they play leading up to Auburn.

Louisiana
Southern Miss
Kansas State
Kentucky

Everyone thinks we are going to beat Tucky, so they must be terrible, right?  Until proven otherwise the Miss St program is in better shape than we are.

EVERY single post you have to include a backhand to the Hawgs.  I don't know if you just like to troll, or you are miserable, or you just aren't really even a fan.  Probably all three. 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

HogPharmer

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on August 22, 2019, 08:54:50 am
This board has hated on Mississippi State forever. Until they give me reason to do so, I'm not gonna hold my breath.

They rank something like 92nd in the country in returning production for this year. If Moorhead wins 8 games with that, then yeah, I'm gonna say they'll be alright long-term.

I don't think they'll maintain the level of success that Dan Mullen got them to. But it's obviously TBD. Do I think that Mullen probably would have won over Florida had he been on the other sideline? Absolutely. Especially with the level that Florida has been at the last several years PRIOR to Mullen's arrival there. Mullen took a 4 win Florida team and won 10 games in his first year there. That shows just how good of a coach that Mullen is (as if taking Mississippi State of all teams to a #1 position in the polls isn't proof enough).

Mullen also probably would have beaten Kentucky with his roster at Mississippi State too.

So a first year head coach lost 2 more games than what arguably the second best head coach in the conference would have won with the same players. I wouldn't really call that grossly underperforming.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 09:55:13 pm

I go 4 years out to get a larger, forward based sample size for my predictions.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

DenaoStyle

Preseason prognostications are based primarily on the previous year's production.  Very little foresight goes into them. 

Lsudental7

Quote from: HogPharmer on August 22, 2019, 08:52:44 am

He had 3 first round draft picks on that team.

8-4 was absolutely underachieving.

It was the most talented defense he will ever have there.  Also had a very experienced qb, who under Mullen played well. 

RME

Quote from: Lsudental7 on August 22, 2019, 10:52:55 am

It was the most talented defense he will ever have there.  Also had a very experienced qb, who under Mullen played well.

Well, if there were ever a team that knew about underachieving...

GuvHog

Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 09:55:13 pm

That is a mistake because some of the SEC teams have lost a lot of starters on both sides of the line of scrimmage and they are not close to being the same team they were last year.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HogPharmer

Quote from: GuvHog on August 22, 2019, 11:04:49 am
That is a mistake because some of the SEC teams have lost a lot of starters on both sides of the line of scrimmage and they are not close to being the same team they were last year.

Like who?

Hogwild

Miss. State received votes in both the coach and AP poll that would put them 28th in both, just ahead of the U.

Here's what a Mississippi newspaper thinks of the Dawgs schedule

QuoteMississippi State won eight games in the first season of the Joe Moorhead era. One year later, Bovada has the Bulldogs' win total projected for that same exact number. Most sports books have State slated at either eight or 8.5 wins.

It won't be easy for Moorhead to match last year's total, but there are reasons to think he just might. He gets to face three of the teams he lost to on the road last year — Kentucky, LSU and Alabama — at Davis Wade Stadium this season.

If the Bulldogs can manage to win two of those games, the most likely combination being Kentucky and LSU, then they'd be in great shape to match or even exceed eight wins. State has a lot of games to get through before battling the Crimson Tide on Nov. 16, though.

QuoteAfter easing into the season with four very winnable games, the middle third of State's season will be the determinant in how the Bulldogs fare overall. If Mississippi State gets through that middle third with a 2-2 record, it's in good shape to reach eight wins.

The final third of the season is full of must-win games against Arkansas, Abilene Christian and Ole Miss. State has to face Arkansas on the road, but it's clear Chad Morris is very much still in re-building mode. The Dawgs' final three games of the year are at home, with Alabama being the toughest one.

GuvHog

Quote from: HogPharmer on August 22, 2019, 11:23:32 am
Like who?

Ole Miss and Kentucky. Both lost a HUGE number of starters off of their last year's teams.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HogPharmer

Quote from: Lsudental7 on August 22, 2019, 10:52:55 am

In their 4 losses, their worst loss was by 24 points... To Alabama (i.e. one of the greatest college football teams we will ever see in our lives). The most points they gave up in those four losses was 28. It doesn't matter how talented your defense is if your offense doesn't score points.

Also, that "very experienced qb" (who was indeed good while playing for the best QB coach in the SEC) came back from just getting his leg snapped in half in the Egg Bowl in 2017. He also was never that great of a QB, IMO. He was a mediocre passer at best (completing less than 52% of his passes last season and never completing more than 56% in his 3 seasons as a starter at MSU) that wasn't afraid to tuck the ball and run. Mullen knew how to use him because he is Dan Mullen. Heck, Mullen made Feleipe Franks a serviceable QB last year and he sucks.

HogPharmer

Quote from: GuvHog on August 22, 2019, 11:38:45 am
Ole Miss and Kentucky. Both lost a HUGE number of starters off of their last year's teams.

Oh, I didn't realize they both lost that many... Thanks.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: HogPharmer on August 22, 2019, 11:40:24 am
In their 4 losses, their worst loss was by 24 points... To Alabama (i.e. one of the greatest college football teams we will ever see in our lives). The most points they gave up in those four losses was 28. It doesn't matter how talented your defense is if your offense doesn't score points.

Also, that "very experienced qb" (who was indeed good while playing for the best QB coach in the SEC) came back from just getting his leg snapped in half in the Egg Bowl in 2017. He also was never that great of a QB, IMO. He was a mediocre passer at best (completing less than 52% of his passes last season and never completing more than 56% in his 3 seasons as a starter at MSU) that wasn't afraid to tuck the ball and run. Mullen knew how to use him because he is Dan Mullen. Heck, Mullen made Feleipe Franks a serviceable QB last year and he sucks.

Yep, a lot of times teams take a step back with a coaching change even if the coach is good and the team is talented.  Why?  Because it's a new coach. They didn't fall off a cliff and Mullen may have gone 9-3 with them so 8-4 is no huge under achieving feat.  Moorhead was not just new he was new to the SEC as well.  A lot of coaches take over good established programs and totally tank.  Besides coming back from a horrific injury I think Fitz also got into a little trouble over the summer and was suspended for the first game.

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

woodhog14

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on August 21, 2019, 09:17:14 am
Neither do I. Someone must know something I don't. All I know is they lost the 2 most important positions on the field—quarterback and their entire defensive line—since last year.

The writer of this article seems pretty confident in Miss State's sister-wife Ole Miss too.
The one thing people need to look out for about State is that their passing game will improve. They have a transfer from Penn State that is going to be a good QB. He's a better passer than Fitzgerald. I think that's why they still get some love. Plus they have two stud RB's back from last year.