Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2020 Big men

Started by Atkins Hog, August 19, 2019, 04:50:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Atkins Hog

Kevin, do you have Any insight into why we can't seem to get big men on campus? I know since Muss and staff got here we aren't seeing many big men. They went hard after Sy and couldn't get him on campus.We seem to be offering Bigs but all the visits are 1,2,3s. The bigs aren't coming.with the exception of  Williams who just lives down the road and comes up there to play pickup ball. The 2 bigs we got basically chased the staff down to get a chance to play here. The one kid has NEVER been to Fayetteville and committed. Are they not pursuing these bigs hard or can they just not get them to visit?

VanBurenCHog

Williams isn't going to be a Hog anymore

Atkins Hog

I don't think so either and he's the only one visiting. That's my point

Hawg Red

Did we really go hard after Sy? I thought we backed off, actually. Am I mistaken?

Atkins Hog

From what I understood they were still waiting on a visit when he committed. If we didn't go hard after him then they haven't went hard after ANY  BIGS

Smithian

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 19, 2019, 05:24:20 pm
Did we really go hard after Sy? I thought we backed off, actually. Am I mistaken?
Some people claimed the Hogs backed off Sy, but that makes zero sense to me. He would have been a huge addition.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Atkins Hog on August 19, 2019, 05:26:15 pm
From what I understood they were still waiting on a visit when he committed. If we didn't go hard after him then they haven't went hard after ANY  BIGS

We went hard after Blackshear without question.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Smithian on August 19, 2019, 05:28:18 pm
Some people claimed the Hogs backed off Sy, but that makes zero sense to me. He would have been a huge addition.

On the surface, it doesn't make sense. We're not privy to every detail, though.

Atkins Hog

Yes I forgot Blackshear but come on now, we all knew that was a pipedream. I felt like they bet the farm on Sy. They weren't pursuing anyone else(That we knew of)  until he walked away.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Atkins Hog on August 19, 2019, 05:41:17 pm
Yes I forgot Blackshear but come on now, we all knew that was a pipedream. I felt like they bet the farm on Sy. They weren't pursuing anyone else(That we knew of)  until he walked away.

Man, I just don't see how we went that hard after Sy. Is there something I'm missing? What did Musselman do to pull out all the stops? It was just Musselman, Ruta and Scotty at that point. I was wondering why weren't pushing harder on him.

Atkins Hog

IDK what they did or did not do really. I just know all the talk on the radio shows indicated the was THE PRIORITY GUY for this year. I took it by that that they were going full speed ahead. All I  know for sure is he never did visit and so far none of the bigs on Kevin's 2020 list are showing up either. We are however receiving visits from guards who still have 3 years of high school left. Just puzzles me a little.   

Hawg Red

Quote from: Atkins Hog on August 19, 2019, 06:08:12 pm
IDK what they did or did not do really. I just know all the talk on the radio shows indicated the was THE PRIORITY GUY for this year. I took it by that that they were going full speed ahead. All I  know for sure is he never did visit and so far none of the bigs on Kevin's 2020 list are showing up either. We are however receiving visits from guards who still have 3 years of high school left. Just puzzles me a little.

The lack of interest from/for bigs is definitely concerning.

raz1965

Is it Possible the 5 star big guy Muss recruited to nevada last year that didnt receive much playing time before the coach jumps ship at seasons end has stained his reputation among bigs for now?  Just asking, the guy an his dad did not speak highly of Muss when he bolted.

Atkins Hog

I guess so. IMO if it's a reputation thing  it would be the reputation of the Hogs. The only person to use a big man the RIGHT WAY  since  Eddie Sutton was actually Stan Heath. He didn't have enough success to stay. If anything the bigs look at us as a place where the bigs only get the ball if they rebound it. I suspect that's been our stigma for sometime. There was a game last year that we list where Gafford had taken one shot at the half. KIDS WATCH THESE GAMES. I feel Muss will have to show ON THE FLOOR  that he will utilize a big guy and change the reputation in order to get them here.. Just a thought

Hawg Red

Quote from: raz1965 on August 19, 2019, 06:27:45 pm
Is it Possible the 5 star big guy Muss recruited to nevada last year that didnt receive much playing time before the coach jumps ship at seasons end has stained his reputation among bigs for now?  Just asking, the guy an his dad did not speak highly of Muss when he bolted.

Can't help for sure. Weird deal. You get a 5* to Nevada and don't play him?

Atkins Hog

Ya I've wondered what went South with that kid. When he left there was ZERO talk  from either side of him following

cardinalhawg

Regarding Jordan Brown, he did not enter the portal until after Muss left so perhaps he was pondering leaving or was willing to give it a chance with Muss for the second season and maybe trust issues were also factored in to Muss leaving.  Brown would have been set for a huge role with Nevada this upcoming season since all five starters were seniors.  Muss had a good situation set up with the returning players, if everyone stayed such as Brown.  Cylla was on their list out there as was Haanif Cheatam to visit there before he visited Nevada.  They also had Hymes who was a big who redshirted last year.  Ironically, Nevada landed three bigs over 6-10 last season with Trey Porter as a grad transfer, and Brown and Hymes as high school/prep recruits.  Sometimes things just happen in cycles.

Sure, there can be some negative recruiting, but teams are going to have top notch recruits who struggle to get playing time or perform early on for whatever reasons. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: cardinalhawg on August 19, 2019, 09:15:49 pm
Regarding Jordan Brown, he did not enter the portal until after Muss left so perhaps he was pondering leaving or was willing to give it a chance with Muss for the second season and maybe trust issues were also factored in to Muss leaving.  Brown would have been set for a huge role with Nevada this upcoming season since all five starters were seniors.  Muss had a good situation set up with the returning players, if everyone stayed such as Brown.  Cylla was on their list out there as was Haanif Cheatam to visit there before he visited Nevada.  They also had Hymes who was a big who redshirted last year.  Ironically, Nevada landed three bigs over 6-10 last season with Trey Porter as a grad transfer, and Brown and Hymes as high school/prep recruits.  Sometimes things just happen in cycles.

Sure, there can be some negative recruiting, but teams are going to have top notch recruits who struggle to get playing time or perform early on for whatever reasons.

I had read Brown was going to transfer if Musselman was still the coach. Just so happens he left anyway.

cardinalhawg

I am not concerned about big men at this point at all.  Sy has potential and had a good year in JUCO, so how that translates from JUCO to high level NCAA basketball with the levels of offense and defense remains to be seen. He also played on a talented team there as well.  I would have been happy to landed him, but the way he left Virginia Tech during his second season was odd and everything.

I never knew how hard we were recruiting him as there were talks of setting up a visit, but perhaps each side was feeling the other out and nothing never game about.  I thought it was nice that we got into his reported Top 5 after getting in on him so late, but I don't know who serious things were on either side.  I never felt we went all in or anything.

I figure they do want a big like Jaylin Williams who offers versatility and the ability to step outside, but would be fine with a banger like Eddie Lampkin, although he would not fit the push the ball up the floor type player or one to step outside and shoot from the perimeter.  Conditioning will be key for Lampkin, but he seems to have some interest in the Hogs and with A&M taking Aku for the 2019 class, maybe Lampkin would see more of a possible opportunity at Arkansas vs. other schools.  I do not feel like they recruited Jamille Reynolds that hard.  Aku, although raw in different ways, has potential with his build and shooting ability, and I was a little surprised he reclassified to the 2019 class.

I am sure they will explore a variety of options in the 2020 class at the prep level, possible 2021 recruits who can reclassify to 2020, the juco market, the grad transfer market next spring, and international players.  Some players will stand out or blow up this year and come on the radar.  The staff will learn a lot this year from the play of Chaney and Henderson, the play or sit-out development of Vanover, and the sit-out development of Iyiola.   I don't think we need to fill spots to just fill spots especially if the players are reaches.

MPHinJonesboro

Quote from: VanBurenCHog on August 19, 2019, 05:19:15 pm
Williams isn't going to be a Hog anymore
Do you have an inside track on Williams?  I thought from what I've been reading that he was a higher % to come here.  Also, Williams not coming doesn't make sense to me except for the fact that some players may want to "see what Muss does first."  I would think the NBA experience would be a major draw for Arkansas.  Either way, I thought we had a good shot at Williams, what are you hearing?

Atkins Hog

I was hearing Williams to OKC before MUSS was even hired

VanBurenCHog

Okie St is pushing hard for him, hard hard.

Atkins Hog

Yep idk y he would but.....

outlawhogeywells

Quote from: VanBurenCHog on August 20, 2019, 01:27:16 pm
Okie St is pushing hard for him, hard hard.
are we not pushing hard hard hard for him?
And why would anyone want to go to Okie State.  that city is awful

Atkins Hog

Yes we are supposedly going full bore after him but the rumor mill was saying he was going to OKC  before Anderson was fired. IDK what the connection is

Hawg Red

Quote from: Atkins Hog on August 20, 2019, 07:34:34 pm
Yes we are supposedly going full bore after him but the rumor mill was saying he was going to OKC  before Anderson was fired. IDK what the connection is

There was a notable poster who seemingly had some good info on JW, but he stopped coming around after Mike was fired.

cardinalhawg

It would seem that Oklahoma State can't land them all between Cade Cunningham, Bryce Thompson, Rondell Walker, Jaylin Williams, and Devonte Davis as they are obviously recruiting others out there too such as Chris Moore.  I just named the ones mostly in connection to Arkansas or Arkansas recruiting.  Surely, we can win some of these battles against teams were are up against and also benefit by being the 2nd, 3rd, etc. option for some of these recruits based on what teams can fill regarding needs and spots open.

IronMountainHog

I heard Williams has an attitude problem to go along with a cocky attitude. If true, not sure we need any of that on the team. Could be bad info, just what I heard. Also heard from a good source he will not be on our team next year.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: IronMountainHog on August 20, 2019, 09:21:31 pm
I heard Williams has an attitude problem to go along with a cocky attitude. If true, not sure we need any of that on the team. Could be bad info, just what I heard. Also heard from a good source he will not be on our team next year.

Not true.  Unless he has changed in the last year or so.  Good kid, good grades and good teammate.    Good player but there are 10 players much like him in the Houston and DFW area.

VanBurenCHog

Moody to Florida, Williams to Okie St, Davis to Okie St., Thompson to Kansas, Moore to Memphis, not looking good for the recruits we've been recruiting for Awhile but I think Musselman has other guys in mind that are just as good.

Atkins Hog

Van Buren I bet you are correct on all those. There are still good players who want to come here.Alot of high 3* players become next level under the right developers. I hear that's something this crew is good at so we will see

Atkins Hog

Someone explain to me how to respond to a comment. I can post but can't figure this out how to bring the comment down that I'm responding to. Thx

hogwood

Quote from: Atkins Hog on August 21, 2019, 07:59:14 am
Someone explain to me how to respond to a comment. I can post but can't figure this out how to bring the comment down that I'm responding to. Thx

Use the quote button instead of reply.

Atkins Hog

That's what Kevin told me but I can't figure it out

nwahogfan1

Quote from: VanBurenCHog on August 21, 2019, 06:58:01 am
Moody to Florida, Williams to Okie St, Davis to Okie St., Thompson to Kansas, Moore to Memphis, not looking good for the recruits we've been recruiting for Awhile but I think Musselman has other guys in mind that are just as good.

For this November it could be 2 freshmen and then 2 transfers in the spring.   Wait and see.

Atkins Hog

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on August 21, 2019, 10:56:35 pm
For this November it could be 2 freshmen and then 2 transfers in the spring.   Wait and see.
I looked at the crystal ball picks on 247 last night. They have us signing zero kids in 2020. I think a 33%chance on 1 kid. Lol I think Muss is getting in too late on slot of them but we have a couple of late blooners popping up that look Interested. If we don't get LAMPKIN I suspect we will get a juco big in the spring.That may be the better deal anyway.