• 382,428 Topics
• 21,385 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange Stories from the SEC Footprint  (Read 37571 times)

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
Re: Strange Stories from the SEC Footprint
« Reply #1103 on: April 18, 2017, 08:24:47 am »

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #1104 on: April 19, 2017, 12:30:24 pm »

Hard justice in Tennessee:

https://twitter.com/sbarchenger/status/854693046323171328

La Vergne woman who stole $1.5 million from state programs that feed children in need was sentenced last week to three months in prison, records show.

Federal sentencing guidelines recommended more than five years prison time, according to court records. The reason U.S. District Judge Aleta Trauger handed LaShane Hayes the shorter term is unclear because several court documents are sealed, however other filings indicate Hayes wanted a probation sentence because of a medical condition.

Hayes, 44, and her lawyer, Jodie Bell of Nashville, asked the judge to grant a variance, that is, decrease the sentence from what guidelines recommend, court records show. Bell asked that documents "containing private sensitive information" be sealed. Trauger granted the request.

"I think the variance was attributed in large part to my client's medical condition and necessary treatment," Bell told The Tennessean on Tuesday.

Hayes in January pleaded guilty to two felony counts: Conspiracy and wire fraud, records show. Trauger sentenced Hayes to three months in prison followed by three years supervised release. Hayes was ordered to repay $1.5 million; though it is unclear if she is able to pay that sum.

Hayes was charged in November by federal investigators who alleged she and her agency, All About Giving, Inc., inflated the numbers of meals provided so they got greater reimbursements...

Hayes is not the only state contractor to be accused of fraud in connection with food programs overseen by the Department of Human Services, which has been scrutinized for lax oversight and whose embattled commissioner, Raquel Hatter, resigned  in December.

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #1107 on: April 21, 2017, 12:09:50 pm »

https://twitter.com/NotJerryTipton/status/854897672083427330

Kid, apparently trained in CPR, returned to favor

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #1113 on: April 27, 2017, 07:58:40 am »

https://twitter.com/sbarchenger/status/856681436211953665

Ex-Tennessee teacher Tad Cummins planned to take his 15-year-old former student Elizabeth Thomas to Mexico before venturing to other countries, and may have had the means to do it, according to new court documents.

"The defendant had plans to attempt to escape across the United States border to Mexico. He then planned to seek passage to countries further south of Mexico," states a document filed Monday in a California federal court.

"In furtherance of this plan, the defendant procured a small watercraft and conducted a test run to cross into Mexico across the water from San Diego. The defendant also considered the feasibility of a land crossing into Mexico."

Cummins is charged with kidnapping Elizabeth in early March, taking her from a restaurant near her home in Columbia, Tennessee and eluding law enforcement for 38 days before they were captured last week in Cecilville, California. The new federal court documents also show the 50-year-old Cummins admitted to switching vehicle license plates twice, disabled his vehicle's GPS system, used aliases, altered his appearance, paid only in cash and used back roads during his nearly six weeks on the run.

"During his flight, the defendant engaged in a daring cat-and-mouse run from law enforcement in order to further his own prurient desires while engaging in a number of sophisticated maneuvers to avoid being caught. His actions in evasion were criminal," the document states.

"This level of sophistication demonstrates that he cannot be trusted with conditions, or any combination of conditions, of release while awaiting trial in the Middle District of Tennessee."

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #1114 on: April 28, 2017, 08:26:29 am »

https://twitter.com/Dave_Boucher1/status/857354019160956929

On Wednesday, prosecutors confirmed the identity of a confidential informant they used against former Nashville Judge Casey Moreland. And he's a beast.

In a federal indictment, prosecutors say Moreland relied on the help of a part-time semi-pro wrestler to try and bribe and plant drugs on a woman who says Moreland offered her judicial favors in exchange for sex.

Prosecutors used "The Beast," whose real name is James Pedigo, to help obtain evidence that could prove damning to the former judge, court records show.

At roughly 9:15 a.m. Wednesday, Pedigo — adorned in a black and white pinstripe suit — entered a federal courtroom. He pleaded guilty to one felony charge of conspiracy to obstruct an official proceeding. The charging document says Pedigo worked with “C.M.” to “attempt to corruptly obstruct, influence, and impede a federal grand jury.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyTVw53llQ4

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #1117 on: May 02, 2017, 09:14:35 am »

https://twitter.com/wesrucker247/status/859242663786291200

‘Momma bear kicked in on me…not today,’ said Kingsport woman who fought off robber with baseball bat

KINGSPORT, TN (WJHL) – A Kingsport homeowner came face to face with a man who forced his way inside her home over the weekend.

Police said that man tried to rob her, but didn’t know what he had coming.

It all started around 9:00 p.m. Saturday night, police said a woman answered a knock at the door when she saw a woman was holding a “Lost Dog” flyer.

“That was apparently a ruse designed to get her to open the door, as soon as she opened the door, a man stepped in front of the woman holding the flyer, he had a mask on,” Tom Patton said.

Patton said that’s when a struggle would follow...

Lisa Morelock explained that after the suspect pushed his way inside her home, her instinct to fight back kicked in.

“I was scared for a few seconds in there, and then momma bear kicked in on me and, no, not today,” Morelock said.

According to police, Morelock was able to remove part of the man’s mask and recognized him...

Standing at just 4 feet 11 inches tall Morelock was staring at someone almost one foot taller, and 100 lbs heavier.

Morelock said that wasn’t going to stop her from fighting back.

“I reached over, and grabbed a bat, and it’s an aluminum bat,” Morelock said.

According to police, two other teenage witnesses inside the home also stepped in.

Together the three females pushed Sotello from the home.

“I knew if he ran I wasn’t going to catch him, I thought alright, I’ll bang that car up,” Morelock said.

The car wasn’t the only thing battered and bruised in this attempted robbery, and looking at 34-year-old Joe Sotello’s mug shot, is proof of that.

Kingsport Police Department

Morelock hopes her story will help others to stand up and fight back.

“Don’t be so afraid, if I can do it, anybody can,” Morelock said.

The woman, who was allegedly holding the dog flyer, is reportedly Sotello’s girlfriend.

The woman drove away from the scene, but Sotello ran away and was later found at the home of one of the victim’s relatives.

His girlfriend reportedly turned herself in but was not charged. Police say her limited role was done out of fear.

HamIAm

• All-American Hogvillian
Thieves steal alligator
« Reply #1118 on: May 05, 2017, 08:27:17 am »

An alligator?   

Burglars carried off a live alligator late Wednesday from the Witt Stephens Jr. Central Arkansas Nature Center in downtown Little Rock, police said.

Three men have been arrested in the break-in, which was reported around 11:45 p.m. at 602 President Clinton Ave.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2017/may/05/3-men-in-custody-after-nature-center-br/?f=crime

NoogaHog

• Varsity
  • WPS from Southern Appalachia

HamIAm

« Reply #1120 on: May 10, 2017, 01:29:17 pm »

Kids, don't do drugs.

Too late

Jonesboro police are searching for whoever stole a trailer loaded with Little Debbie snack cakes.

http://www.kait8.com/story/35394797/trailer-full-of-little-debbie-snacks-stolen?

GolfnHog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • #neveryield #wps
« Reply #1121 on: May 10, 2017, 03:28:13 pm »

Too late

http://www.kait8.com/story/35394797/trailer-full-of-little-debbie-snacks-stolen?

Anyone followed up to see if it's parked outside the Tide athletic complex? Nick has an affinity for LD's!

MP24

• Varsity
« Reply #1122 on: May 12, 2017, 01:26:03 pm »

Man from Katy TX ordered prostitute and discovers his own wife.

http://www.unitednews.org/man-from-katy-tx-ordered-prostitute-discovers-wife/

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #1124 on: May 15, 2017, 08:44:07 am »

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/863872442523168768

ATHENS — Turns out the scandal surrounding Georgia tennis expands beyond the men’s team.

Manuel Diaz confirmed that associate head coach Bo Hodge had been suspended indefinitely for an undisclosed “personnel matter.” On Sunday, women’s coach Jeff Wallace confirmed that his associate head coach, Drake Bernstein, is also absent but declined to say whether he is suspended or fired. Sources have told DawgNation Bernstein is suspended.

Athletic Director Greg McGarity, himself a former women’s tennis coach at UGA, declined comment while watching Sunday’s match. No one associated with either program would say whether the two matters are related.

Both teams are currently competing in the NCAA Tournament.

“No comment is all you’re going to get from me right now,” said Wallace, who has guided the Bulldogs to 31 straight NCAA tournaments. “I think eventually I’ll have a comment.”

Sources close to the situation have told DawgNation that there is an investigation being conducted.

Bernstein is from Winder. He is married to former UGA gymnast Cassidy McComb, who served as a volunteer assistant coach for former gymnastics coach Danna Durante until Durante was fired after this past season.

Hodge’s wife, Tatum, also works for the UGA athletic association. She is an administrative assistant for the baseball team.

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #1125 on: May 15, 2017, 02:03:57 pm »

https://twitter.com/Sara_Walsh/status/863923646317940736

The road down a dark path began while hosting Sportscenter on the road from Alabama. I arrived in Tuscaloosa almost three months pregnant. I wouldn't return the same way. The juxtaposition of college kids going nuts behind our set, while I was losing a baby on it, was surreal. I was scared, nobody knew I was pregnant, so I did the show while having a miscarriage. On television. My husband had to watch this unfold from more than a thousand miles away, texting me hospital options during commercial breaks.
It would get worse...

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #1127 on: May 17, 2017, 02:04:24 pm »

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/864694869276721152

Kaseberg wrote, "The University of Alabama-Birmingham is shutting down its football program. To which the Oakland Raiders said, 'Wait, so you can do that?'"

The next day on "Conan," O'Brien said: "Big news in sports. University of Alabama-Birmingham has decided to discontinue its football team. Yeah. When they heard the news, New York Jets fans said, 'Wait you can do that? It's something you can do?'"

According to the ruling, Kaseberg - who has written for numerous publications as well as former late night host Jay Leno - began noticing similarities between his post and jokes used in Conan's monologues in 2014. This week, the judge dismissed two of Kaseberg's baseless allegations...

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #1128 on: May 18, 2017, 07:49:04 am »

Matt Jones‏ @KySportsRadio 16h16 hours ago

Former WWE Wrestler arrested in Winchester: http://kentuckysportsradio.com/main/former-wwe-superstar-al-snow-arrested-in-winchester/

Al Snow, a former WWE Superstar who was arrested on Monday in, of all places, Winchester, Kentucky. Snow was pulled over and taken in over a “failure to appear” charge, which he says stems from a ticket he got two years ago for a broken tail light and expired insurance card. After being released on a $234 bond, Snow took to Twitter to explain the incident:

https://twitter.com/TheRealAlSnow/status/864817233331187712

https://twitter.com/TheRealAlSnow/status/864817343846916096

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #1130 on: May 18, 2017, 08:32:58 am »

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/863872442523168768

Manny Diaz was asked if, in wake of investigation, all players will be eligible for tourney and if NCAA is involved:

https://twitter.com/JasonHButt/status/864477180373422080

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #1132 on: May 21, 2017, 08:47:56 am »

https://twitter.com/MarshallRamsey/status/865296124843880448

Details surrounding the slaying of 6-year-old Kingston Frazier are starting to crystalize after false statements from the Hinds County sheriff led to rampant rumors and accusations of involvement by the child's family.

Hinds County Sheriff Victor Mason said at a Thursday news conference that Kingston's mother, Ebony Archie, exited the Kroger on I-55 in Jackson at 2:30 a.m. and reported to a deputy on duty at the grocery store that her car was stolen but did not mention her son was in the car until later.

"When we found out later that there was a child in the back, we immediately notified the Highway Patrol (who) put out an Amber Alert," Mason said.

Eddington said Archie had been out with cousins and friends to celebrate her birthday, which was on Tuesday. Archie picked up Kingston from Eddington's granddaughter, who was babysitting the 6-year-old.

According to Eddington, Archie said she saw a deputy outside Kroger when she went in. When she came out and found her car missing, she started frantically searching for the deputy, found him and told him her car and child had been taken.

Eddington said Archie told family members the deputy at first did not appear either to hear her or to be concerned that the child had been taken.

“Ebony said the man did not listen to her. He could have probably just followed the car right then and her baby wouldn’t be dead,” Eddington said. “She said he told her he had to follow protocol.”

“She said somebody’s stole the car and Kingston’s in the car,” Eddington said. “We had been out (her and Archie’s mother) and hadn’t been home too long. I hadn’t even taken off my clothes. We went up to Kroger’s. It was sometime after 1 (a.m.).”

Madison-Rankin District Attorney Michael Guest said an exact timeline of the incident was not immediately available, citing an ongoing investigation.

"So many different agencies are working on this, I do not have a good clear timeline at this point as to when all these events occurred," Guest said.

MBI said internet rumors claiming it was an accidental shooting or that other people were involved are false.

"It’s rumor and speculation, conjecture. Do not put any stock in what you're seeing in social media. The investigation is early on, and what is being put out on social media is untrue and not factual," Strain said.

Strain said Friday authorities are "confident" the three teens arrested for Kingston's murder are those responsible.

Dwan Diondro Wakefield, 17, of Ridgeland; DeAllen Washington, 17; and Bryon McBride Jr., 19, both of Jackson, have been charged with capital murder. Authorities identified McBride as the shooter.

Each is in the Madison County Detention Center and will appear Monday in Madison County Justice Court for an initial appearance. Guest said he will request that bond be denied for all three.

None of the three suspects has any prior convictions, Guest said, but Washington was out on bond on an armed robbery charge in Madison County. He has a June court date for that charge, Guest said.

Guest also said a motive in Kingston's death is unknown.

"Other than it just being somebody being mean and evil and cruel, I’m not seeing a motive being developed as to why these individuals would have killed this child," Guest said. "That’s probably something we’ll never get. We’ll probably never learn a motive as to why this occurred."

Kingston's body was discovered at approximately 9:30 a.m. Thursday on Gluckstadt Road in Madison County. Madison County deputies responded to the area after someone who was familiar with the Amber Alert recognized the car, Guest said.

Heath Hall, spokesman for the Madison County Sheriff's Department, referred all questions regarding the investigation to Strain.

Madison County Coroner Alex Breeland said an autopsy was conducted Friday morning. Preliminary results revealed Kingston died of multiple gunshot wounds, Breeland said.

Guest said the evidence points to the fact Kingston was shot in the back of the car.

"We do believe he was shot in the back of the car," Guest said. "Whether he was asleep or awake, I don't have any idea."

A time of death was not yet known.

Guest said Kingston was "most definitely" alive when his mother's car was stolen. Archie is not a suspect and was not involved in Kingston's murder, Guest said.

"I have absolutely no evidence to indicate that she had any involvement," he said. "There’s nothing that would indicate, to me, that she was aware or that she participated in the abduction and death of her child."

HamIAm

« Reply #1133 on: May 21, 2017, 04:28:08 pm »

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #1134 on: May 29, 2017, 06:49:55 am »

https://twitter.com/aldotcom/status/868453101577097218

Georgie Cutright and his two rescue huskies, Sarah and Lobos, were spotted in Oneonta in Blount County on Wednesday as onlookers watched and captured his passage on video. The trio started their journey in Knoxville.

If he makes it to Venice by dog sled, the trip would surpass the current record for the world's longest annual dog sled race, which is held by the Iditarod...

Cutright said the main goal of the journey is to see the country and bring happiness to those that see him.

"People just smile and videotape and clap, and it just brings a lot of joy and a lot of smiles to the world,"

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #1135 on: May 30, 2017, 12:11:03 pm »

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/869588249467125761

"I want the public to know that alcohol was not involved," the statement read. "What happened was an unexpected reaction to prescribed medications. I didn't realize the mix of medications had affected me so strongly."

Woods also apologized to his fans in his statement saying, "I will do everything in my power to ensure this never happens again. I fully cooperated with law enforcement."

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

HamIAm

« Reply #1137 on: May 30, 2017, 03:10:49 pm »

From DeQueen Bee Company's facebook page

Gillham EZ Mart is going to be out of service for quite a while after a man drove a crane into the store last night. According to the Sevier County Sheriff's Office, a suspect stole the crane from Tri-Lakes Services in Gillham after wrecking his car on hwy 71 last night. He then drove the crane into the EZ Mart, fortunately missing the cashier.

The suspect then proceeded to chase the cashier through the store and parking lot until she got away. He then entered the store, opened a red bull and hid inside until Sheriff Robert Gentry and DQPD officer Jim Kight apprehended him without further incident.

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

HamIAm

« Reply #1140 on: May 30, 2017, 06:00:36 pm »

https://twitter.com/seangentille/status/869639280393695233
Spray it down with Old Spice cologne and throw it in a cooler. That’s what Waddell did

ROFL.  This must be the guy in college that thought you didn't have to shower if you just put on some more deodorant.

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #1142 on: June 01, 2017, 07:44:45 am »

ROFL.  This must be the guy in college that thought you didn't have to shower if you just put on some more deodorant.

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/870040967813922821

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #1149 on: June 14, 2017, 07:35:01 am »

https://twitter.com/elizabethcrisp/status/874961768472338432

Scalise was hit in the hip during congressional baseball practice.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas