Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What was the memorable "shot" in Razorback History?

Started by corndo, March 14, 2006, 12:51:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AHogalypto

Thurman's 3 in the 1994 National Championship....abosolutely love watching that!

hogfan47

US Reeds shot i put a hole in my Parents living room ceiling lol
C L martin

Fort Smith Ark    

start the healing process now

WeeOne

I watched U.S. Reed's shot as a sophomore in high school.  Nowadays, during my daughter's Upward Basketball games, I see many kids trying the shot from half court, and I still yell "Reed!!!!!!".

I will admit, however, that half the people in that gym don't have a clue about what I'm carrying on about.

Scotty's was huge, Reed's was a miracle.

Nashville Fan

Pittman or Bust!

jbcarol

Quote from: uglyuncle on March 14, 2006, 12:53:40 pm
Today is the 25th anniversary of that U.S. Reed shot.

25th anniversary and it was featured on "Cold Pizza".  Making me think of U.S. Pizza and I am over 1000 miles away.  Obviously the dagger in Louisville's heart at that time in the rivalry makes it one of my favorite shots by anyone against anyone's team.  The Mayberry and Thurman shots were big though weren't they?
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

tropical soooiee

The warning shot the board put over Frank's bow that made him decide to step down.

razorback2day

I had never viewed that video before. Awesome !! Thanks for the including the link. As a junior @ the U of A at the time, Thurman's shot sure means a lot to me. Probably because it meant the dagger in Duke and the championship was ours.  But also included a lot of personal memories.(ie. watching the game in Holcombe Hall, then the celebration on Dickson Street afterward)    Good Times !!!!!
Always searchin' for the man I'm never gonna be ? ---Mike Mclure

WASAHAWG70

Brew's shot against ND in 78 final 4 consolation game.

Since 1894

The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

ilovepinebluff

hawgfandude

you gotta go with "the shot heard around the State" - Scotty's shot to win National Championship.  No other shot was that big.

alaback

Gomez missed the layup against the Ilini.  Satchell followed and missed but was fouled.  He made 1 of 2.  Man were those good times.

VoR

No bout adout it, Thurman's shot, someone linked the you-tube on it a couple weeks ago, I watched it mesmerized and still got goosebumps when it went in. I caught myself just before I pumped my fist and yelled a blood-curdleling YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, which I really doubt my neighbors would have appreciated at about 3 in the morning.
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

HogsGranpa

March 12, 2007, 11:07:13 pm #113 Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 11:29:18 pm by HogsGranpa
Quote from: HoopSlap on March 14, 2006, 01:09:57 pm
It was a HUGE shot back then and Louisville was a great team.  The main difference to me is US Reed's shot was at the buzzer.  There were 50 some odd seconds left on Scottie's. 

Again, most impotant and memoriable to me are different.

U. S. Reed's shot was from half court at the buzzer in the NCAA tournament, actually I think it was around 58', if my memory is correct, without checking stats.

However, Scotty Thurman's shot was the greatest, in the NCAA NC with the scored tied at the time, and against Duke.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it was U. S. Reed that got a scholarship offer only from the U of A, and Eddie Sutton, after Sutton watched him play in the HS championship tournament in LR. 

Both were great moments!

cubsfan5150

For me it was probably the Thurman three that wrapped up the championship or it was the Al Dilliard 3 against LSU to win/tie them in the final seconds in 94 or 95.
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

Houston h

Great post!  Brings back many memories.......Ballentines shot against UNC, Brewer against Notre Dam, Mayberry against Texas, Reid against Louisville, Dillard against LSU were all great moments in Razorback history but the best, most significant shot in Hog history, that will live in infamy, has to be!!!!!   Thurman for the NC!! Has to be, no other shot meant as much to our program as that 1.

ilovepinebluff

How about Mike Jones "2-pointer" in LSU a couple of years ago? Its memorable, but not in a good way.

Bogghawg

Just for fun I am answering this post before I read all the other replies.  There are a few no brainers and no doubt a lot of repeats, but I have not missed attending, viewing or listening to a game since the late 70's, so I have an opinion...Limiting it to 5....
1)  US Reed vs Louisville NCAA game in Austin
2)  Charles Balentine vs #1 UNC with Michael Jordan in Pine Bluff
3)  Lee Mayberry vs Texas in Austin
4)  Todd Day's thunderdunk verses Texas in Fayetteville.  (not a game winner, but my gawsh what a sight to see.
5)  Mike Young's buzzer beater vs. Texas Tech in Lubbock - last game of the season to win the SWC in Eddie
s first or second season.  (memory's fading a little-can't remember the year but I remember that shot going in and Sutton dancing around the mid court knowing we were conference champs.  This was before that became routne)
There are son many more.  I love Razorback basketball. 
Never Attempt To Teach a Pig To Sing; It Wastes Your Time and Annoys the Pig

HogsGranpa

Quote from: WASAHAWG70 on March 12, 2007, 10:11:54 pm
Brew's shot against ND in 78 final 4 consolation game.
Brewer also made a great turn around jump shot from the corner, in the semi-finals of that same NCAA tournament at Albuquerque, against Cal State-Fullerton, when Cal State-Fullerton were making one of their several come backs in the 2nd half, after falling behind 20 point in games they played, as they did with Arkansas.

Brewer's shot stopped the rally, and quited the sell out crowd who were cheering for Cal State because they were the underdog team, and had a great outside shooter with only one good eye.

who knows

definately scotty's in the NC game...but thats about the only im old enough to remember...
Quote from: Ftsmithmike on October 07, 2011, 03:56:29 pm
This is what Game Day should look like.

Bogghawg

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on March 17, 2006, 02:30:47 am
Quote"I hope everyone remembers those old SWC days and the arenas that were played in.  If I'm not mistaken that is the SuperDrum in Austin."

Yep.  G. Rollie White (A&M), Moody Court (SMU), Daniel Meyer Coliseum (TCU), Heart of America Coliseum (Baylor), Autry Court (Rice), Hofheinz Pavilion (Houston), Erwin Special Events Center ("Big Drum", Texas), and of course, BARNHILL ARENA!!!

For whatever reason, I cannot remember what the name of the arenas was where Texas Tech played at. ???
I think it was simply Lubbock Memorial Coliseum.  I KNOW the one in Waco was the Heart of Texas, though, not America.  No one who wasn't around can understand what is was like going into those high school Texas gyms like Rice and A&Ms.  Rice still has theirs.

Bogghawg

Quote from: Bogghawg on March 12, 2007, 11:29:37 pm
Just for fun I am answering this post before I read all the other replies.  There are a few no brainers and no doubt a lot of repeats, but I have not missed attending, viewing or listening to a game since the late 70's, so I have an opinion...Limiting it to 5....
1)  US Reed vs Louisville NCAA game in Austin
2)  Charles Balentine vs #1 UNC with Michael Jordan in Pine Bluff
3)  Lee Mayberry vs Texas in Austin
4)  Todd Day's thunderdunk verses Texas in Fayetteville.  (not a game winner, but my gawsh what a sight to see.
5)  Mike Young's buzzer beater vs. Texas Tech in Lubbock - last game of the season to win the SWC in Eddie
s first or second season.  (memory's fading a little-can't remember the year but I remember that shot going in and Sutton dancing around the mid court knowing we were conference champs.  This was before that became routne)
There are son many more.  I love Razorback basketball. 

I didn't deliberately omit Scotty's shot and of course it must be in anyone's top 5, I was just further down memory land than I realized.  To me, '94 is the modern era.  I also noticed someone else said Moncrief made that shot in Lubbock that I rated 5th, but I'm really sure it was Young, although I certainly stand to be corrected.

williak

Quote from: geoffhog on March 14, 2006, 03:05:06 pm
Quote from: lilpiggy on March 14, 2006, 02:35:20 pm
any place on the net where u can see these, i would like to show them to my son
2nd from top

http://www.katv.com/news/videovault.hrb         

+1 for the link.  anyone have a video of scotty's

williak

another that I remember isn't much of a game winner, but it was Big O taking it to the hole against Shaq in Barnhill.  We won that game and I couldn't hear for a week.

YepItsMe

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: bhuie on March 14, 2006, 01:03:22 pm
Here's my top 5:

(1) US Reed's half-court shot to win against Louisville in the NCAAT
(2) Thurman's 3-pointer to put the Hogs ahead for good in the NC game against Duke
(3) Brewer's shot to beat Notre Dame in the Final 4 consolation game in '78
(4) Mayberry's 3-pointer to force overtime at Texas
(5) Balentine's baseline jumper to beat #1 UNC in Pine Bluff

That's a pretty good list of exciting and meaningful shots...

That's the perfect Top 5.

Runner-up buzzer beaters would be:
•US beating Texas with a last-sec shot
•US beating A&M with a freethrow with no time on the clock (not as eventful, but still good)
•Darrell Walker beating A&M
•Sidney Moncrief beating Texas Tech
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

PIGINAPOKE

The six shots of J.D.I slam down when they fire Nutt! Best shots !
The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

Bvilleboar

Thurman -vs- Duke
US Reed -vs- Louisville
Ballentine -vs-NC
Mayberry-vs-Texas
Brewer sr.-vs- Notre Dame
2012 the year of the HOGS

Hollywood_HOGan

scotty thurman and its not even close.

US reed was huge but it was not to win the national title

ProfusionalHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on March 13, 2007, 06:57:06 am
Quote from: CiriusPorker on March 14, 2006, 12:52:28 pm
scotty thurman v. duke NC game in 94

This was the most important shot, period.

I was sitting about 10 rows up, directly behind Thurman when he shot it.  Chill bumps to this day.

litmachog

The top 3 to me have been mentioned.

Scotty's shot against Duke for the championship has to be 1st due to the significance.
US Reed's shot is close behind that as it was in the tournament.
Ballentine's shot against North Carolina was also incredible.

I remember after those three games, I couldn't sleep much those nights as I kept running those shots through me head.

cosmodrum

Hands down, Scotty vs. Duke. I didn't even flinch when I saw the thread. No other comes close.
Go away, batin'

josh_sec33

I am way late to the party.

US reed shot was huge. Lore when I was in college.
Scotty's shot against Duke. I was at the big watch party in BWA and when that was launched the whole place went quiet and then the loudest cheer in BWA I had ever heard occurred when that net went swish.
Stewart's shot against UNC in the 95 F4 I was there as part of the Hogwild band and it was almost straight on from where we were sitting and I just remember the guy next to me saying it's online right before it went in.

The Shot against NC in pine bluff is a great shot but not talked about enough.
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

zebra

Quote from: Bvilleboar on March 13, 2007, 07:34:15 am
Thurman -vs- Duke
US Reed -vs- Louisville
Ballentine -vs-NC
Mayberry-vs-Texas
Brewer sr.-vs- Notre Dame

Love these!

Junkyard Hog

Bacon The Saddle Again

Scotty over Grant Hill to ice a National Championship.

rasorback4life

Mediocrity Rules!!!

PiggyBack

March 13, 2007, 10:07:44 am #138 Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 10:11:01 am by PiggyBack
Scotty for sure, but do you remember the MONSTER dunk Big Nasty had against Kentucky to close out Barnhill?
Huggers react to facts and reason the way Linda Blair reacts to holy water.

http://allythigpen.com/woo2.swf

Hog lite

Quote from: hoginator on March 14, 2006, 03:43:00 pm
2nd from top

US is the most memorable for me.
I too was 9 years old and got chills watching the link.
+1

I was 12 and watching the Louisville game at my cousin's.   I had given up and gone outside to play basketball on a dirt court.  The next thing I knew my brother and cousing came out of the house screaming!  I had missed the U.S. Reed shot.   That is the last time I gave up on the Hogs.  Never give up!

PiggyBack

Quote from: Hog lite on March 13, 2007, 10:10:45 am
Quote from: hoginator on March 14, 2006, 03:43:00 pm
2nd from top

US is the most memorable for me.
I too was 9 years old and got chills watching the link.
+1

I was 12 and watching the Louisville game at my cousin's.   I had given up and gone outside to play basketball on a dirt court.  The next thing I knew my brother and cousing came out of the house screaming!  I had missed the U.S. Reed shot.   That is the last time I gave up on the Hogs.  Never give up!

That avatar is hilarious!
Huggers react to facts and reason the way Linda Blair reacts to holy water.

http://allythigpen.com/woo2.swf

ProfusionalHog

razorback2day

Always searchin' for the man I'm never gonna be ? ---Mike Mclure

JShipCPA