Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Archie Goodwin

Started by crabeyes, October 25, 2012, 01:02:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MountieDawg

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on October 25, 2012, 01:58:52 pm
Arkansas doesn't have a good enough business school for Mr. Goodwin, from what I hear.

At Kentucky pro scouts and ESPN at every practice... At Arkansas the Ugly Uncle shows up sometimes.
SEC!

The_Iceman

They don't look near as good as last year.

The losses of experienced guys like Jones, Lamb, and Miller is noticeable.

Cure

Archie is the best freshman guard in the country, hands down.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: MountieDawg on November 04, 2012, 08:55:51 am
At Kentucky pro scouts and ESPN at every practice... At Arkansas the Ugly Uncle shows up sometimes.

Damian Lilliard was a lottery pick (#6) and he played at Weber State. If you're good enough, they'll get familiar with you. There is no such thing as "unknown" players these days, especially ones playing in the SEC.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: Cure on November 04, 2012, 11:09:41 am

Hands down?

Man, look, I know you're a bit biased, but come on now. Ever heard of Gary Harris, Marcus Smart, Rasheed Sulaimon, and Rodney Purvis? 3 of those 4 guys were rated higher than Archie. Could Archie be the best freshman guard in the country? Sure. Hands down? That's ignorant. LeBron James was "hands down" the best player in this HS class. Archie could be the best guard in his class. Gigantic difference.

CDBHawg

Quote from: Cure on November 04, 2012, 11:09:41 am

Based on a blue-white game and an exhibition contest. Sounds legit....

Cure

November 04, 2012, 02:33:27 pm #56 Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 02:35:49 pm by Cure
Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on November 04, 2012, 12:09:52 pm
Hands down?

Man, look, I know you're a bit biased, but come on now. Ever heard of Gary Harris, Marcus Smart, Rasheed Sulaimon, and Rodney Purvis? 3 of those 4 guys were rated higher than Archie. Could Archie be the best freshman guard in the country? Sure. Hands down? That's ignorant. LeBron James was "hands down" the best player in this HS class. Archie could be the best guard in his class. Gigantic difference.
Yes, hands down. How many of these guys have you seen on the circuit recently or even ran a couple with them?

If Bazz was cleared I would bill him as the top wing with a chance for Archie to catch him, but as it stands, he isn't cleared. Bias no, it just so happens that I got a chance to watch his game develop a bit more outside of the AAU and summer league circuits.

Once again you can hold your opinion and I'll stick with mine.
Team Economics

Dogtown Donkey

November 04, 2012, 03:15:35 pm #57 Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 05:03:41 pm by Dogtown Donkey
Quote from: Cure on November 04, 2012, 02:33:27 pm
Yes, hands down. How many of these guys have you seen on the circuit recently or even ran a couple with them?

If Bazz was cleared I would bill him as the top wing with a chance for Archie to catch him, but as it stands, he isn't cleared. Bias no, it just so happens that I got a chance to watch his game develop a bit more outside of the AAU and summer league circuits.

Once again you can hold your opinion and I'll stick with mine.

You still aren't getting it.

You got to see Archie Goodwin develop. Yay. Good for you. You didn't get to see Gary Harris, Marcus Smart and those other freshman guards develop? So, like I said, your statement is born of ignorance. You have direct knowledge of ONE player and limited knowledge (or no knowledge) of the others.

"Hands down" is a declaration that gets thrown out when opinion is pretty much taken out of the equation. You're passing your opinion off as fact.

Quotehands down

1. easily: without encountering any problems, obstacles, or opposition
2. unquestionably: in a way that is not open to question

Cure

November 04, 2012, 05:56:36 pm #58 Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 05:59:04 pm by Cure
Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on November 04, 2012, 03:15:35 pm
You still aren't getting it.

You got to see Archie Goodwin develop. Yay. Good for you. You didn't get to see Gary Harris, Marcus Smart and those other freshman guards develop? So, like I said, your statement is born of ignorance. You have direct knowledge of ONE player and limited knowledge (or no knowledge) of the others.

"Hands down" is a declaration that gets thrown out when opinion is pretty much taken out of the equation. You're passing your opinion off as fact.

Reading is fundamental. I can imagine you don't quite understand that I had already mentioned spending a bit of time around AAU circuits. I'm not too far removed from competition myself, but you can sit on your comments if you'd like, so you would be the one "not getting it". What part of having your own opinion do not quite understand? Assumptions are very fluid though </sarcasm>.

We can argue ball any time, problem is that I'm sure you probably have little to no knowledge outside of what you find on boards. But continue on.

Archie is still the best freshman guard in the country.
Team Economics

RockChalkJayhawk

After watching All-Access Kentucky, it's safe to say Archie isn't even the best guard at Kentucky, (right now). And it's certainly arguable that anything pertaining to AAU is grossly overrated as an evaluation criterion.  I know, I recruited that cesspool for 20 years. 

A kid who hasn't played one college second isn't the best anything, and it's not even fair to the kid to make that kind of statement.

I'm not here to participate in an argument, but that is my opinion, and of course, everyone else is entitled to their's as well.  I feel Archie is a great talent, and he's learning what it means to put in college work.  He will shine under Cal if he buys-in to the plan and follows the script.  He's young, but I feel he will be a success.  Best in the country?  Nobody knows that.

MountieDawg

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on November 04, 2012, 12:06:03 pm
Damian Lilliard was a lottery pick (#6) and he played at Weber State. If you're good enough, they'll get familiar with you. There is no such thing as "unknown" players these days, especially ones playing in the SEC.

Kentucky had more players drafted last year than Weber State has since Adam and Eve!
SEC!

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: MountieDawg on November 04, 2012, 06:48:17 pm
Kentucky had more players drafted last year than Weber State has since Adam and Eve!

Pointless statement.

You don't have to go to Kentucky to be a lottery pick. In fact, most lottery picks......wait for it.....don't go to Kentucky. If the talent's there, you'll go high.

The_Iceman

this may end up point a better long term class for Kentucky than last year. I don't see many off this team going pro.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: Cure on November 04, 2012, 05:56:36 pm
Reading is fundamental. I can imagine you don't quite understand that I had already mentioned spending a bit of time around AAU circuits. I'm not too far removed from competition myself, but you can sit on your comments if you'd like, so you would be the one "not getting it". What part of having your own opinion do not quite understand? Assumptions are very fluid though </sarcasm>.

We can argue ball any time, problem is that I'm sure you probably have little to no knowledge outside of what you find on boards. But continue on.

Archie is still the best freshman guard in the country.

I see a whole lot of typing, no substance outside and vague claims. You played AAU ball? Great. Good for you. Thousands do every year. You can still be ignorant and play basketball.

You said the kid was "hands down" the best freshman guard in the country, but most people don't think that. You don't know what "hands down" means. That means virtually everyone is in agreement. Yes, my friend, reading is fundamental, and you need to work on your fundamentals. You want to harp on having an opinion, but you also want to pass things off as fact and are far from a fact.

Archie Goodwin is one of probably 10 players that could be the best freshman guard in the country. Far from "hands down".

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 05, 2012, 11:40:31 am
this may end up point a better long term class for Kentucky than last year. I don't see many off this team going pro.

I'm of the same opinion.

Kyle Wiltjer and Willie Cauley will be back. Harrow and Noel will be gone. Goodwin is 50/50. Poythress is probably gone. I think we could see Archie go pro even if he's only projected to go in the late first round due to the incoming guards for UK in 2013.

Cresthog

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on November 05, 2012, 11:42:18 am
Archie Goodwin is one of probably 10 players that could be the best freshman guard in the country. Far from "hands down".

That dude humps every single player not in an AR jersey. He's a ESPN big program humping chode.

Breems

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on November 05, 2012, 11:48:43 am
I think we could see Archie go pro even if he's only projected to go in the late first round due to the incoming guards for UK in 2013.

If he has any kind of measurable success, I believe he's gone.  He's consistently stated in interviews that being a one and done is his primary goal.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Cure

November 05, 2012, 09:15:19 pm #67 Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 09:25:17 pm by Cure
Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on November 05, 2012, 11:42:18 am
I see a whole lot of typing, no substance outside and vague claims. You played AAU ball? Great. Good for you. Thousands do every year. You can still be ignorant and play basketball.

You said the kid was "hands down" the best freshman guard in the country, but most people don't think that. You don't know what "hands down" means. That means virtually everyone is in agreement. Yes, my friend, reading is fundamental, and you need to work on your fundamentals. You want to harp on having an opinion, but you also want to pass things off as fact and are far from a fact.

You can continue to pass it off as if you are the only one that has seen top prospects if you like.  I'll say it once again, you're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine, we shall see what happens during the course of the season. Archie IMO is the best freshman guard in the country. Spin your wheels, it doesn't affect either of our opinions.

Quote from: Cresthog on November 05, 2012, 12:05:03 pm
That dude humps every single player not in an AR jersey. He's a ESPN big program humping chode.
Because I like Archie Goodwin's game, don't drink the Arkansas kool-aid, and went elsewhere?   Right, but I do like the big program comment, very funny.
Team Economics

Athog

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on October 25, 2012, 01:58:52 pm
Arkansas doesn't have a good enough business school for Mr. Goodwin, from what I hear.

Right..... Achew

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: Cure on November 05, 2012, 09:15:19 pm
You can continue to pass it off as if you are the only one that has seen top prospects if you like.  I'll say it once again, you're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine, we shall see what happens during the course of the season.

I'm acting like I'm the only one that has seen top prospects? How so? By making comments like "Archie is HANDS DOWN the best freshman guard in the country", you sound as if you've only seen Archie Goodwin because there a number of freshman guards that are easily as good or better. Archie is not the clear-cut best guard in the country. You, Archie, his family and UK fans think that. No one else does. I'm not acting as I'm the only one who has knowledge of these other players, you're acting as if you don't have knowledge of them. There's a difference.

Quote from: Cure on November 05, 2012, 09:15:19 pmArchie IMO is the best freshman guard in the country. Spin your wheels, it doesn't affect either of our opinions.

Had said that from the start, there would be no argument. But, instead, you said there was no argument. No opinion. Archie's the best. That's what "hands down" means. By definition, it lacks opinion and states fact. Not sure what they're teaching you at Ohio State.

Cresthog

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on November 06, 2012, 10:17:34 am
Not sure what they're teaching you at Ohio State.

Buy into all the hype until the national title game when it actually counts.

MountieDawg

November 06, 2012, 01:04:42 pm #71 Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 01:10:26 pm by MountieDawg
Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on November 05, 2012, 11:36:17 am
Pointless statement.

You don't have to go to Kentucky to be a lottery pick. In fact, most lottery picks......wait for it.....don't go to Kentucky. If the talent's there, you'll go high.

So are you saying the top talent is not going to Kentucky? Players will be found if they are good enough, but at Kentucky in 3 years Cal has taken the to an Elite 8, a Final Four and a national championship... Plus your practices are on ESPN and your exhibition games on Fox Sports and every game is televised!
Not to mention every starter and 6 th man on Kentucky's team has been drafted the last three years! It's ok to be a hater, but don't act like he is not getting the best talent!
SEC!

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: MountieDawg on November 06, 2012, 01:04:42 pm
So are you saying the top talent is not going to Kentucky?  It's ok to be a hater, but don't act like he is not getting the best talent!

Where did I say Kentucky isn't getting top talent and how could you even get that from anything I've posted?? How am I being a hater in any way? Seriously, I want you to respond to those questions.

UK gets top talent. So do a number of other schools. But my point is that NBA scouting is to the level now where guys in D1 basketball rarely go unnoticed, let alone guys playing a power conference like the SEC. The whole argument for Archie picking UK is that it enhancing his draft status, and I'm saying that isn't necessarily true. People act like he wouldn't get noticed if he came to Arkansas. It's bonkers. People that think that are bonkers.

Quote from: MountieDawg on November 06, 2012, 01:04:42 pmPlayers will be found if they are good enough, but at Kentucky in 3 years Cal has taken the to an Elite 8, a Final Four and a national championship... Plus your practices are on ESPN and your exhibition games on Fox Sports and every game is televised!

That doesn't make NBA personnel want those players any more. You're dumb if you think that. All of that stuff doesn't magically make Archie Goodwin a better player. He was already good when he committed to Kentucky. There's an argument to made for him going to Kentucky, you just aren't making it. You're just parroting all the rhetoric you here on ESPN about Kentucky and the NBA. Like I said, Damian Lilliard was a lottery pick and so was Terrance Ross. All without John Calipari. Calipari signs guys that will go in the 1st round or lottery WITHOUT HIM. That's the point. They really and honestly don't need Calipari. UNC had just as many 1st round picks at UK in the last draft. Anthony Davis is the #1 if he goes to Duke or Syracuse or Ohio State, etc. Doesn't matter. He's that good.

MountieDawg

Does Josh Harrelson, DeAndre Liggins or Darius Miller get drafted if they don't go to Kentucky? I know more about Kentucky basketball than you know about Arkansas basketball without any help from ESPN! I agree talent will be found most of the time. But you will have more scouts watching you more often at Kentucky, you cannot argue that.
SEC!

SPAL

This argument is like saying you will have the same chance at getting a job at a prestigious law firm if you went to Midwestern tech of the ozarks as u do going to Harvard law. Sure, one dude may make it, but going to Kentucky guarantees much more than going to chamenade . It's really ridiculous to try and argue this with all the Nba draftees uk has churned out lately.

Cure

November 08, 2012, 11:21:02 am #75 Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 11:27:47 am by Cure
Quote from: Cresthog on November 06, 2012, 11:48:15 am
Buy into all the hype until the national title game when it actually counts.
Let's not get into the argument of institutions. I'm alumnus and still support the Razorbacks.  Stick to the You of A.

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on November 06, 2012, 10:17:34 am
Had said that from the start, there would be no argument. But, instead, you said there was no argument. No opinion. Archie's the best. That's what "hands down" means. By definition, it lacks opinion and states fact. Not sure what they're teaching you at Ohio State.
It was quite clear that it was an opinion, aside from the fact that you took it to the extreme. It is not at all that serious to me and I'll stick with Archie proving that he is the best. As I had already stated, if Shabazz got cleared then he would be the best wing no question. Once again, the season should tell us everything we need to know.
Team Economics

outlawhogeywells

So if Archie had gone to any school other than Kentucky.  And lets say Archie is a lottery or one and done.  Would he be a lottery or one and done at the other school? 
Kentucky is not making these kids into lottery picks or one and done players.  They were that good before they got there.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on November 07, 2012, 11:08:10 pm
This argument is like saying you will have the same chance at getting a job at a prestigious law firm if you went to Midwestern tech of the ozarks as u do going to Harvard law. Sure, one dude may make it, but going to Kentucky guarantees much more than going to chamenade . It's really ridiculous to try and argue this with all the Nba draftees uk has churned out lately.

He's a 5 star rated player. If he goes to another high major school, he's still going to be a 1st round if he has it in him. Point blank. Tony Mitchell is going to be a lottery pick out of North Texas. Talent is talent. Archie would have shined at Arkansas with his athleticism and scoring ability and gained a ton of notoriety playing alongside Powell and Young. Let's not act like going to Arkansas = going to Bowling Green or something. Look at where we're projected right now without. Add him to that and we're probably projected #1 or #2 in the SEC.

UK churns out draftees because they signed NBA talent. They don't make them NBA players.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: MountieDawg on November 07, 2012, 09:16:34 pm
Does Josh Harrelson, DeAndre Liggins or Darius Miller get drafted if they don't go to Kentucky? I know more about Kentucky basketball than you know about Arkansas basketball without any help from ESPN! I agree talent will be found most of the time. But you will have more scouts watching you more often at Kentucky, you cannot argue that.

Calipari did wonders for Harrellson. There's no argument there. He was barely a D1 player before Calipari came to UK. But even still, he's just a bench player. Barely even that. He has a tenuous grasp on a spot in the NBA.

You could also make the argument that Miller and Liggins might have been higher draft picks at another school that featured them more prominently. Miller was a 4 star, #8 at his position, top 50 nationally recruit out of HS (per Rivals). Liggins was a 4 star, #6 at his position, and top 30 nationally. Both were highly rated recruits out of HS.

Again, UK brings in NBA players therefore they produce NBA players. Very, very rarely is John Calipari going to make someone into an NBA that wasn't already on that path. The proof is in the puddin'.

arkirish

Archie has been great in this first half against Maryland, really attacking the basket and drawing fouls.  Dick Vitale is absolutely in love with this kid, keeps calling him a little Russell Westbrook.

Dr. Starcs

Duke-y v is in love with anybody who plays for Kentucky and of course duke.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: arkirish on November 09, 2012, 08:17:34 pm
Archie has been great in this first half against Maryland, really attacking the basket and drawing fouls.  Dick Vitale is absolutely in love with this kid, keeps calling him a little Russell Westbrook.

He attacks the basket the same way Kareem Reid did (gets airborne and hopes to either score or draw a foul)  The kid oozes talent but he is on pace to avg. 25+ a game on 20+ shot attempts just like Russell Westbrook does at times....
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

HogsonHicks

The kid is a high shot, high score player. Defense is mediocre at best. Very good player, but way too early to say he's the best of anything.

Regardless, the kid left his home state school when he could've been a hero rebuilding our prior glory. I lost respect for the kid, but our team will be fine. Pining over the kid is a waste of time.

Hogs message board. Kentucky player. Let's move on.

Willyboy

Quote from: HogsonHicks on November 09, 2012, 09:24:22 pm

Hogs message board. Kentucky player. Let's move on.

Yes, please

Rooster Hogburn

I could see a scenario where Cal gets buried by the NCAA during Archie's career at UK. Archie would then transfer to Arkansas for his senior season.

I'm trying to say that there is still hope.
To forgive is to set a pisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.-Lewis B. Smedes

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: Rooster Hogburn on November 10, 2012, 09:33:08 am
I could see a scenario where Cal gets buried by the NCAA during Archie's career at UK. Archie would then transfer to Arkansas for his senior season.

He would just go pro.

There is no hope.

hogfan98

Quote from: Rooster Hogburn on November 10, 2012, 09:33:08 am

One and done.

Smithian

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 27, 2012, 08:34:39 pm
Does anyone think Archie Goodwin has the will to play hard enough for Mike Anderson's system?

Seems to lazy and self-centered to me.
Are you saying Kentucky doesn't play hard? I dislike them as much as the next person, but you don't get to the championship playing soft and easy. Or are you saying he individually won't play hard? If so he'll be sent to the bench.

We all hate Calipari, but his team battle defensively and are tough.

catfanNar

Quote from: Smithian on November 10, 2012, 06:09:29 pm
Are you saying Kentucky doesn't play hard? I dislike them as much as the next person, but you don't get to the championship playing soft and easy. Or are you saying he individually won't play hard? If so he'll be sent to the bench.

We all hate Calipari, but his team battle defensively and are tough.
This is spot on. Archie isn't playing selfish and looked really good in his debut against Maryland. He is playing great defense.

Smithian

Quote from: catfanNar on November 11, 2012, 12:45:48 pm
This is spot on. Archie isn't playing selfish and looked really good in his debut against Maryland. He is playing great defense.
If he doesn't play hard then Calipari will find him a nice seat on the bench right next to the assistant coaches.

catfanNar

Quote from: Smithian on November 12, 2012, 10:59:44 pm
If he doesn't play hard then Calipari will find him a nice seat on the bench right next to the assistant coaches.
Exactly.

Dogtown Donkey

HUGE game for UK tonight against Duke. Should be a good one. Archie matches up against a similarly rated guard in Rasheed Sulaimon.

I think Duke, though still ranked in the top 10, is a real contender this year and not many people are talking about. I didn't like the way they played last year with Austin Rivers. I think he's a bit of a glory/ball hog that tried to stand out too much. Not your typical Blue Devil player.

nwarazfan

Duke needs improvement at PG.  Hope they win big tonight but I'm not looking for it.  They'll be very good late in the season barring injuries. 

Tick Hog

Tonights my first look at the kid and I'm not going to cry about him not coming to the hill. However had he chosen to with what we already have we would be sweet 16 or better this year. O well u get some and loose some

Speedracer

He might need to stick in college one more year to develop physically but he has star potential. 
Like smites bother me.

sunalmighty79

Quote from: tick hog on November 13, 2012, 10:41:53 pm
Tonights my first look at the kid and I'm not going to cry about him not coming to the hill. However had he chosen to with what we already have we would be sweet 16 or better this year. O well u get some and loose some
I'm glad he passed to. Bj is better. He wouldn't fit MA system.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: sunalmighty79 on November 13, 2012, 10:45:57 pm
Really?
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

MountieDawg

You were probably happy Lebron is not playing for the hogs too... Very FUNNY
SEC!

Cure

Ran the 1 tonight with Harrow not playing.  He and Poythress are going to be big time as the season goes on.
Team Economics

RockChalkJayhawk

LOL, surely you are being sarcastic.  In a pinch, I could buy a homer's convoluted view that BJ is better ...

...but "wouldn't fit MA's system" ... that's gold.