Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Archie Goodwin

Started by crabeyes, October 25, 2012, 01:02:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

crabeyes

Archie drops 32 points last night in Blue-White Game. Wish he would of stayed in AR!

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: crabeyes on October 25, 2012, 01:02:38 pm
Archie drops 32 points last night in Blue-White Game. Wish he would of stayed in AR!

Arkansas doesn't have a good enough business school for Mr. Goodwin, from what I hear.

razorhead94

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on October 25, 2012, 01:58:52 pm
Arkansas doesn't have a good enough business school for Mr. Goodwin, from what I hear.

I see what you did there.

I hope he sees his visit to Bud Walton this year as a "business" trip because he's in for a rude awakening.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

Uncommon

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on October 25, 2012, 01:58:52 pm
Yes.  Arkansas's One and Done curriculum isn't quite up to par as Kentucky's.

PonderinHog

Quote from: BeastBack 50 on October 25, 2012, 02:07:59 pm
Yes.  Arkansas's One and Done curriculum isn't quite up to par as Kentucky's.
Bunch of fast learners up there in Big Blue country, apparently.

Breems

The sad thing is we stand a pretty good chance of losing to --chie and UK in the Bud.  I'm prepared just in case, but I know we'll put up a good game either way.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: Breems on October 25, 2012, 02:21:00 pm
The sad thing is we stand a pretty good chance of losing to --chie and UK in the Bud.  I'm prepared just in case, but I know we'll put up a good game either way.

We also have a fair shot of beating them. The last time they played at the Bud, our team was much worse and their team was comparable to this team they have now in that it's not the clear-cut NC contender than last year's team or the John Wall team was. We beat them and we can beat them now. They're mortal this year.

The_Iceman

how many snowbird points and free throws make up that 32?

UNCLE BACK

Marvel Waithe had 30 in the red white game lat yr.

labb

I hope Goodwin is the best scorer they have..If so then they are in for a long year.

azhog10

Quote from: pridgehog on October 25, 2012, 03:06:15 pm
Marvel Waithe had 30 in the red white game lat yr.
Speaking of.....when is our red white game again?

Boston RedHogs

UNCLE BACK

Quote from: azhog10 on October 25, 2012, 03:25:14 pm
Speaking of.....when is our red white game again?
Tuesday at 7.00 p.m

azhog10

Jackrabbit Hog

I watched a vomit-inducing episode of the all-access UK lovefest on espnu last night.  Cal is such a sweet, mentoring, caring guy.  He promised all those mommas that he'd take good care of their sons..........for the 6 months or so that they'll actually be on campus.  Ate breakfast with Joe B. Hall, acted like he enjoyed the company and laughed at his jokes, all the while wishing the old fart would leave.  Cried about the team's lack of experience and maturity.  And on and on.

Think I'll watch Honey Boo Boo tonight instead.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

IronMountainHog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on October 25, 2012, 04:16:33 pm
I watched a vomit-inducing episode of the all-access UK lovefest on espnu last night.  Cal is such a sweet, mentoring, caring guy.  He promised all those mommas that he'd take good care of their sons..........for the 6 months or so that they'll actually be on campus.  Ate breakfast with Joe B. Hall, acted like he enjoyed the company and laughed at his jokes, all the while wishing the old fart would leave.  Cried about the team's lack of experience and maturity.  And on and on.

Think I'll watch Honey Boo Boo tonight instead.
Did you happen to notice all the fifth's of booze on his shelf next to his desk? He must have got Eddie's old office.

PonderinHog

Quote from: IronMountainHog on October 25, 2012, 05:18:03 pm
Did you happen to notice all the fifth's of booze on his shelf next to his desk? He must have got Eddie's old office.
That's hair tonic.

CDBHawg

Quote from: crabeyes on October 25, 2012, 01:02:38 pm

Who?

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

BigSexyHog

Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

mmhogs17

You get away with ball hogging in scrimmages for the public.

Iwastherein1969

we should have won the recruiting war...that's all
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

The_Iceman

Does anyone think Archie Goodwin has the will to play hard enough for Mike Anderson's system?

Seems to lazy and self-centered to me.

secfan1

Way above average defender. He would of fit perfectly. Hog fan her but just sayin...

The_Bionic_Pig

October 28, 2012, 07:18:26 am #24 Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 07:27:16 am by The_Bionic_Pig
Honest Opinion: Archie has the ability to be a great defender which what Coach Calapari is trying to make his focus but he was a shoot first pass second player in High School, AAU, and will be at Kentucky.  I can easily see him leading this Wildcat team in scoring but also taking the majority of the shots to obtain that average.

We all know when Archie makes his return to Arkansas he will be looking to make a point against his old AAU teamates and those who berated him in person, online etc...after he decided with the help of 3rd party (assisting family & friends) associated with Cal's connect's.

Prediction: Archie will have 28-35 on 20+ shot attempts but Kentucky will fall in Bud Walton 79-74.  Arkansas will have already played Michigan, Syracuse etc... which will have prepared them for such a talented opponent.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

Lakerhog

I would've loved to have Archie here, and I'm not going to pretend like he sucks just because he went to UK.

Tim

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on October 28, 2012, 07:18:26 amArkansas will have already played Michigan, Syracuse etc... which will have prepared them for such a talented opponent.
Kentucky will have already played Maryland, Duke, Notre Dame, and Louisville.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: Tim on October 28, 2012, 11:43:36 am
Kentucky will have already played Maryland, Duke, Notre Dame, and Louisville.

That's irrelevant to what he actually said. He never said we'd be more prepared for Kentucky. Kentucky's always going to be consider a contender. His point was that this Razorback team (that hasn't seen the postseason at all) will be prepared for a team of that caliber. What Kentucky has done is of no relevance to what he said. In fact, the mention of "such a talented opponent" pretty much tells you that he knows Kentucky will likely be an elite team at that time.

sportswriter41

I'm going to blame loosing Archie on Long. He kept Pelphrey around way too long and kept our program in the mud an extra year. Had he shown leadership and brought Mike here a year earlier we MIGHT have had Archie in the bag.

Yes I have an agenda so save your breath. Or keyboard.

jamie72921

Archie is an offensive oriented player.

People are correct to say he "could" be a great defender. The problem though is that guys who see themselves as offensive studs tend to have letdowns on defense when they aren't playing well offensively.

Cal will have to create a paradigm shift with Goodwin's thinking, and maybe he will. If he doesn't, Goodwin will not scratch his potential.
Bless your heart

HF#1

I don't worry about or follow players from Kentucky.  Don't care where they grew up or lived previously.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

The_Iceman

Quote from: sportswriter41 on October 28, 2012, 01:58:30 pm
I'm going to blame loosing Archie on Long. He kept Pelphrey around way too long and kept our program in the mud an extra year. Had he shown leadership and brought Mike here a year earlier we MIGHT have had Archie in the bag.

Yes I have an agenda so save your breath. Or keyboard.

I'm not sure the coach at Arkansas had as much to do with Archie's decision as the Coach at Kentucky.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 29, 2012, 09:45:19 am
I'm not sure the coach at Arkansas had as much to do with Archie's decision as the Coach at Kentucky.

Not unless it was John Calipari.

Archie's a bigger fan of himself and the limelight than he is the Arkansas Razorbacks. Going to Arkansas wouldn't keep him from going to the NBA. The "business decision" thing is a non-starter.

Bosshog479

I bet of we beat them he sits on the bench and cries with a towel over his head.

Cure

Archie will be filthy with Cal and he will only be there for a year.

Hate that we missed on this kid, got a few times to see him play, as a younger cousin of mine was a teammate of his.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: Cure on October 30, 2012, 01:05:02 pm
Archie will be filthy with Cal and he will only be there for a year.

Big guards aren't often "one and done". Since the age limit was instituted, only a couple each year have gone to the NBA after one year.

Daequan Cook - 2007 (21st pick)
O.J. Mayo - 2008 (3rd pick)
Eric Gordon - 2008 (7th pick)
Jerryd Bayless - 2008 (11th pick)
Tyreke Evans - 2009 (4th pick)
DeMar DeRozan - 2009 (9th pick)
Xavier Henry - 2010 (12th pick)
Avery Bradley - 2010 (19th pick)
Lance Stephenson - 2010 (40th pick)
Bradley Beal - 2012 (3rd pick)
Austin Rivers - 2012 (10th pick)
Tony Wroten - 2012 (25th pick)

That's 12 over 6 drafts. 2 per draft. And, really, half of those guys have either played PG in the NBA or have the ability to play some PG. Archie is a straight up SG. Scoring is his only playmaking ability, so if he doesn't show that he can be a a good defender, his draft stock will take a hit. Most "one and dones" are big forwards or PGs.

I wouldn't be shocked if Archie was in the NBA after one year at UK, but I would say there's probably a better chance that he has to play 2 years instead.

Cure

He will be good enough to make the jump, sitting at #10 on NBA Draft express. Playing for Cal will do nothing but showcase his abilities and he is a better defender than you give him credit for ( in the little time that Cal has had with him).

Put up 32 and 9 to lead all in the Blue-White game recently as well. With the amount of publicity UK gets, he should work his way into the lottery by the end of the season.
Team Economics

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: Cure on October 30, 2012, 02:41:21 pm
He will be good enough to make the jump, sitting at #10 on NBA Draft express.

Which means squat.

I remember when they had Chris Taft as a top 3 pick back in the day. They're really just speculating like us. Or maybe that was NBADraft.net. Either way, just speculation.

Quote from: Cure on October 30, 2012, 02:41:21 pmPlaying for Cal will do nothing but showcase his abilities and he is a better defender than you give him credit for ( in the little time that Cal has had with him).

As evidenced by what, exactly?

What assessment of his defense did I make that I'm not giving him proper credit? All I said is that he needs to show that he's a good defender. That's not considered a strength of his game right now.

Quote from: Cure on October 30, 2012, 02:41:21 pmPut up 32 and 9 to lead all in the Blue-White game recently as well.

Which means squat. Marvell Waithe had 30 last year in our Red/White game.

Quote from: Cure on October 30, 2012, 02:41:21 pmWith the amount of publicity UK gets, he should work his way into the lottery by the end of the season.

May be. Data says probably not. Jury's still out on him defensively and all he can do is score on offense. There will be guards that can score and create for others, as well as defend.

Cure

October 30, 2012, 03:09:01 pm #39 Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 03:32:45 pm by Cure
Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on October 30, 2012, 02:54:27 pm
Which means squat.
Ignore it you shall, which I can understand, it's just a gauge. Although I'd take Calipari's evaluations as a pretty decent indicator.

I remember when they had Chris Taft as a top 3 pick back in the day. They're really just speculating like us.
Chris Taft,  he wasn't THAT hyped as UK's freshmen are consistently hyped, due to the media. You cannot deny that evaluations have become much more thorough since Taft's bust. There's a reason Archie was rated the #3 SG in his class, instead of the #10 Center as Taft was.

As evidenced by what, exactly?
11 first rounders in the past 3 years, it's well understood that Calipari showcases the talent that he has year after year.

QuoteQ: Which freshman came in most ready to play a game tomorrow?

Calipari: Probably Alex and Archie would be the two. We've been working on Archie's shot. You can't shoot different kind of balls.
- http://kykernel.com/2012/10/01/calipari-discusses-freshmen-non-conference-schedule/

QuoteWhat assessment of his defense did I make that I'm not giving him proper credit? All I said is that he needs to show that he's a good defender. That's not considered a strength of his game right now.
We can agree here, perhaps I took your wording for a bit more, but yes he needs to improve his defense, rather just being a scorer.

Which means squat. Marvell Waithe had 30 last year in our Red/White game.
Wait are we comparing intrasquad scrimmages between UK and Arkansas? Come on man, I don't know anyone that saw Marvell as a big contributor. If they drank the kool-aid sure, but personally I never expected much from him, his game was extremely timid.

May be. Data says probably not. Jury's still out on him defensively and all he can do is score on offense. There will be guards that can score and create for others, as well as defend.
Archie will be one of the premier shooting guards next season easily. You don't play for Cal if you don't improve defensively and I expect nothing less from Archie.

I'll stick to it, barring some injury he will be one and done.
Team Economics

Granny

Why are we still talking about this guy? 

CDBHawg

Quote from: Granny on October 30, 2012, 03:28:10 pm
Why are we still talking about this guy?

Because he hails from Arkansas, was a top rated recruit, and signed with our biggest basketball rival.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: Cure on October 30, 2012, 03:09:01 pm
Ignore it you shall, which I can understand, it's just a gauge. Although I'd take Calipari's evaluations as a pretty decent indicator.

It's gauge of what is being projected right now, in the preseason. Their draft projections will be much, much different after the college season is over. That's all I'm saying. Players rise and fall all the time. Even highly rated players. Even Kentucky players. Terrence Jones was a mid-first rounder that was once a top 5 pick in the eyes of many.

Quote from: Cure on October 30, 2012, 03:09:01 pmChris Taft,  he wasn't THAT hyped as UK's freshmen are consistently hyped, due to the media. You cannot deny that evaluations have become much more thorough since Taft's bust. There's a reason Archie was rated the #3 SG in his class, instead of the #10 Center as Taft was.

Again, my point was that pre-season draft projections are not concrete. I wouldn't have even mentioned NBA Draft Express or NBADraft.net as backing for a player going to the NBA because they don't really hold much weight.

Quote from: Cure on October 30, 2012, 03:09:01 pm11 first rounders in the past 3 years, it's well understood that Calipari showcases the talent that he has year after year.

That really doesn't have anything to do with what I asked you or what you said. You said that, in the short time he's been with Calipari, he's become better defensively. I asked you what you were basing that on, but it appears you're just basing that off the assumption that Calipari has made him a better defender via reputation. I didn't know if you had actually seen him in action or not.

Quote from: Cure on October 30, 2012, 03:09:01 pmI don't know anyone that saw Marvell as a big contributor. If they drank the kool-aid sure, but personally I never expected much from him, his game was extremely timid.

Similarly to my point about mock draft sites, citing scrimmage stats holds very little weight. That was my point. I was trying to show you that scoring 30 points in a scrimmage doesn't mean a whole lot, if anything.

Quote from: Cure on October 30, 2012, 03:09:01 pmArchie will be one of the premier shooting guards next season easily. You don't play for Cal if you don't improve defensively and I expect nothing less from Archie.

No argument on him being a premier SG. And I'm sure he'll improve defensively. It's just that the data over the last 6 drafts (the age limit era) shows that, generally, about 1 SG per draft is taken. A lot of combo guards are taken, but very few true SGs like Archie. Doesn't mean he won't be a lottery pick. I'm just skeptical based on the data.

HF#1

Quote from: CDBHawg on October 30, 2012, 03:33:00 pm
signed with our biggest basketball rival.

Which is exactly why we should not be talking about him.  He wanted to leave then fine but I'd just as soon not recognize him or his efforts at Kentucky.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

CDBHawg

Quote from: HogFan#1 on October 30, 2012, 03:39:56 pm
Which is exactly why we should not be talking about him.  He wanted to leave then fine but I'd just as soon not recognize him or his efforts at Kentucky.

I just answered a the question HF#1, I couldn't care less how much is discussed about Archie Goodwin.

Cure

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on October 30, 2012, 03:36:46 pm
It's gauge of what is being projected right now, in the preseason. Their draft projections will be much, much different after the college season is over. That's all I'm saying. Players rise and fall all the time. Even highly rated players. Even Kentucky players. Terrence Jones was a mid-first rounder that was once a top 5 pick in the eyes of many.
It was tough to project Terrence because he outgrew the 3.

Again, my point was that pre-season draft projections are not concrete. I wouldn't have even mentioned NBA Draft Express or NBADraft.net as backing for a player going to the NBA because they don't really hold much weight.
Projections aren't 100% accurate, you hit and miss, but you can compare and find a perceived ceiling.

That really doesn't have anything to do with what I asked you or what you said. You said that, in the short time he's been with Calipari, he's become better defensively. I asked you what you were basing that on, but it appears you're just basing that off the assumption that Calipari has made him a better defender via reputation. I didn't know if you had actually seen him in action or not.
Going off Archie, Cal's, and Coach Davis' word there.
Similarly to my point about mock draft sites, citing scrimmage stats holds very little weight. That was my point. I was trying to show you that scoring 30 points in a scrimmage doesn't mean a whole lot, if anything.
It lends a little credence that he is expected to be the leading scorer for UK this year.

No argument on him being a premier SG. And I'm sure he'll improve defensively. It's just that the data over the last 6 drafts (the age limit era) shows that, generally, about 1 SG per draft is taken. A lot of combo guards are taken, but very few true SGs like Archie. Doesn't mean he won't be a lottery pick. I'm just skeptical based on the data.
I can understand that, but I'll stick to my guns ;)
Team Economics

cityhog

Quote from: Breems on October 25, 2012, 02:21:00 pm

Lol. Pretty good chance?  Really? You think?  KY is our Bama in basketball. Heck, lately Bama has been our Bama in basketball.

Breems

Quote from: cityhog on October 30, 2012, 06:56:37 pm
Lol. Pretty good chance?  Really? You think?  KY is our Bama in basketball. Heck, lately Bama has been our Bama in basketball.

Nope.  Ole Miss is our Bama in basketball. 
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: cityhog on October 30, 2012, 06:56:37 pm

We've beaten Kentucky with Calipari as HC. So, no, they're not our Bama in basketball.

If the Arkansas team that beat Kentucky two years ago (team that went on to the Final 4) could be Kentucky, this Arkansas can definitely beat Kentucky. Kentucky won't be nearly as good as they were last year and we'll be much, much better, and playing in front of our home crowd.

cityhog

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on October 30, 2012, 08:40:58 pm
We've beaten Kentucky with Calipari as HC. So, no, they're not our Bama in basketball.

If the Arkansas team that beat Kentucky two years ago (team that went on to the Final 4) could be Kentucky, this Arkansas can definitely beat Kentucky. Kentucky won't be nearly as good as they were last year and we'll be much, much better, and playing in front of our home crowd.

Ok. I guess we will see.