Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Shotgun Spread Offense is recipe for disaster - Robert Shields

Started by Robert Shields, February 06, 2006, 09:51:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Shields

Shotgun Spread Offense is Recipe for Disaster

Robert Shields

My spy on the Hill, who is more often right than wrong, tells me that the Hogs will run a spread offense mostly out of a shotgun next season. Maybe this is no big surprise, but if you have been keeping up with the Hogs' offense in years past, this is a huge departure for Houston Nutt – and for the program.

Other empirical facts also bear out that a spread offense is on the way -- the late commitments from many receivers including Damian Williams, the recommitting of Mitch Mustain after the hire of his high school coach Gus Malzahn who loves the spread, and the fact that no real running back was signed in this class unless you want to count the guy who is a combo linebacker.

The Hogs signed no less than six wide receivers. If you want to count Ben Cleveland and the guy they have listed as "athlete" (Ramon Broadway), you can make it eight. You probably have also seen stories of Darren McFadden being assured that the running game is not being scraped. I am sure Terry Bowden told Stephen Davis the same thing. Sometime after that Auburn went into the tank only to be revived when Tommy Tuberville resurrected the running game.

The Hogs already also have Cedric Logan, Cedric Washington, Rod Coleman, Reggie Fish, Chris Baker, and Marcus Monk to play receiver. Maybe some of these guys can be moved to defensive end like Anthony Brown and Jamal Anderson. In fact, Damian Williams might make a great defensive end.

With really only Felix Jones and McFadden to take the hand offs or screens as a running back, the Hogs are one ACL injury away from being completely one dimensional. Nothing new for Hog fans.

But in the SEC, if you're going to be one dimensional, it better be with the running game. The Hogs found themselves in almost all their SEC games last season and it was because of its power running game, a very less-than-inventive running game where the option and toss sweep were used as trick plays. The Hogs still found a way to lead the SEC in running for the third time in four years, but the problem being the Hogs had absolutely no effective passing game. With such an effective running game, the play action should work but Houston Nutt found a way to make it not.

With some coaching, this team would have won more last year. Bizarre coaching moves cost the Hogs the Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Georgia, and LSU games. If you want you can add that the Alabama game was also a possible win. Nutt told us after the Alabama game that if only that John Aaron Rees kid had scooped up that blocked punt and carried it into the end zone -- spoken like a coach who had no faith in his offense.

Here is where I go negative once more, and this is a place for you to clip and mail to me when I am wrong. I know there is tremendous excitement over this class. But the Hogs going to a predominately passing attack is a formula for disaster. It could very easily lead to quick three and outs putting a shaky defense the last few years back quickly on the field. Reggie Herring improved the defense last year but he is not a miracle worker and recruiting on the defensive side has been suspect for years besides the guys signed from Central High. Seems dangerous to stick them out on the field too often.

The Hogs' history is having great running backs, many going to the professional ranks, not quarterbacks and receivers. Backs such as Jerry Eckwood, Ben Cowins, Ike Forte, Gary Anderson, Jesse Clark, Roland Sales, Marshall Foreman, James Rouse, Derrick Thomas, Barry Foster, E.D. Jackson, Madre Hill, Chrys Chukwuma, Micheal Jenkins, and Cedric Cobbs. Now comes Felix Jones, Peyton Hillis, and Darren McFadden. The Hogs have also had their success when they had running quarterbacks, not drop-back quarterbacks.

This is like asking BYU to insert a running attack. This is a huge risk. And even if successful, be ready for excuses that this will take time to implement, which is very true. And there will be growing and learning pains.

The last time the Hogs got really, really enamored with the passing game and thought it was the way to go was following the run and shoot era of the Houston Cougars. Anyone remember when Jack Crowe tried to institute the one-back "super back" set with a more wide-open passing game?

The Hogs opened that season at home with a shocking loss to the Citadel.

USC will be starting a new quarterback, but USC's coaching staff sees different passing attacks every week from Cal to Oregon to Oregon State to Stanford to on and on. This very well could be history repeating itself -- an experiment gone bad as much of Houston Nutt's coaching career is turning out to be at Arkansas. I guess the loss couldn't possibly be as shocking as last season's, though.

Send your favorite Houston Nutt play to fromthebench@yahoo.com

hogsanity

So now the State media is going to start whining about TOO much reliance on passing.  Did it take Mr Shiedls this long to figure out that we would be in some sort of spread this season?  I figured it out about 1 second after Gus was hired. 

I dont know if I can take 8 more months of the constant search for what wrong, what could be wrong, and what would be wrong if only it did not go right.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HogHeathen

blah blah blah....pure speculation on what he thinks is going to happen...

HogHillbilly

I'm just happy that we won't see 3rd and 8 with a draw play...................I hope !
Pain heals.......Chicks dig scars.......Glory lasts forever.......GHG

TulsaHawg

Response to Mr. Shields:

You need a spy to inform you we are going to run a spread offense? Did you happen to catch the news that Gus Malzahn is the new Offensive Coordinator, and that he has stated that we will run spread offense?

Have you heard of Peyton Hillis and Michael Smith?  They are a couple of RB's who are still on the team if something happened to DMac or Felix.

As for passing all the time..... you might want to go back and check the stats on the type of balance Gus utilized while at Springdale.

IMHO, this article is not one of your better efforts.

DOGALUM

Shields is a woofag.net-bag.  So is anyone else that wants to label Gus' offense a gimmick or predict it will be a failure before they've even seen it.  Fact is, it's been a winner at every level he's used it at so far.  I understand the SEC is a little different, but until he fails, I've got no reason to doubt.

That's pronounced "doosh bag". Sorry the filter got it.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

BigHog396

Complete and total moron.  I guess he didn't watch a SINGLE game that Springdale played last season.  If he did, and he were such an expert, he would know that Springdale ran the ball OVER 50% of it's plays... I don't really see how anyone could define that as "one dimensional."

Next time, dude needs to put a little research into his article, before he makes himself look like such a fool.

PigPusher

Surely none of us are so naive that we would believe Coach Malzahn is so severely one dimensional that he brings only one offensive approach to our program. Those of you that do including the rest of the SEC is going to be very surprised.  The man is not known as an offensive genius for nothing. We have the real deal in charge as we have wanted for a long time.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

bigt54

A couple of things:
The spread and its running plays are already in our playbook.  Sure it is different, but it was added for MJ to run that radar option.  What we will see different will be the quicker passes and we will see a lot more of it.

Also a lot of great running backs have done well in the spread, recently DeAngelo Williams, although Memphis ended the year not running the spread so much because of injuries but he got most of his career yards out of the spread.

What I think we will see is that Felix Jones will do much better and prove even with or better than DM.  RB's that can make quick cuts tend to do better out of the spread. 
I don't think this transition is anything like Crowe did.  This will be less of a jump and the players are in place to make the transition happen, like two QB's that ran it in High School.
"I was not the best cause I killed quickly, I was the best because the crowd loved me."

hogfan064

I think we'll see alot of DMac and Felix early.  Once the QBs gain confidence you'll see more of a passing game.  I think we'll be very balanced, but still with a strong emphasis on the run.  Probably alot like the late 90s Tennessee teams(hopefully same results).

pfrg999

Uhhhh.... has he never heard of Gus.... His "Spy" ...I live in Kansas and I didn't need a spy....  That was a stupid... column... I understand the basics of it...  They b1tch and not passing and now too much ....and it is still Feb ???  He knows about as much on how the season will go about as much as I know about Physics.... I think a combo of the Power running game and the spread would be awesome.... and that is what he was trying to say in his doom and gloom way....
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

HouTxRzbck

I think Gus is smart enough to know what kind RB's we have.  This will give us balance.  With a spread offense, this will spread the defense.  RB's can run in a spread offense.  Being number one (in SEC) in rushing isn't helping us.  I think being 115th in the nation in passing, is worse on us.  If we drop a little in rushing to like 15th but get to about 30th in passing.  I think that will be a better team that the 5th in rushing and 115th in passing.  Of course this is just my opinion.  It seems balance is what we need.
"Do you do drugs Danny...?"

"...Every Day"

"So what's the problem...?"

RealSmartGuy

hmmmmmmmmmmm, you are an idiot, someone who obviously does not know anything about football, yet writes about it, I am a Darksider for your writing, you suck.

LordStanleysHog

If just goes to show you that Mr. Shields is nothing but a dog wagger, he's trying to stir up crap so people will read his articles.  This man has lost all credibility as a "journalist," I for one hope they find the "spy" and hang him for treason.

HouTxRzbck

Quote from: RealSmartGuy on February 06, 2006, 10:13:40 am
hmmmmmmmmmmm, you are an idiot, someone who obviously does not know anything about football, yet writes about it, I am a Darksider for your writing, you suck.

I'm assuming that is a response to me.  I'm glad you are contributing to the conversation.  What do you think they should do genius?

"...Every Day"

LordStanleysHog

WILL CLINTON

The way I see it, we could have 2 Reggie Bush types in Jones and D-Mac (not talent wise, just utilized the same way as receivers, RB's etc.) and Hillis could be our LenDale White.  We must utilize the tight end to have an effective passing game, and having a tight end that could run higher than a 5.8 40 would help. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

HouTxRzbck

Quote from: LordStanleysHog on February 06, 2006, 10:23:27 am
HouTxRzbck, I think he is talking about Shields...

I couldn't tell.  I figured he would let me know who he was talking to.  If it was for Shields, then you go boy :)

"...Every Day"

hog caller

good grief fullmetal, have a cup of coffee or even a beer  and weake up before you write something slike this. Gus won't theow all the time . his phylosophy is if theew are 8 in the box throw it if the line backes are backed up run it.. i don'rt see the spread killing us . it will take more than 3 recievers to run this paln if you plan on kleeping them fresh. even FAla knows that.

hogsanity

GUs is going to do what his talent is best suited for.  If he thinks running 65% of th time is right, thats what they will do.  Likewise if he feels they need to throw it 35+ times a game he will call that.  Balance is calling the right plays to win the game.  It sint 50/50 run-pass.  It isnt trying to keep the run and pass yds the same.  Balance on offense is whatever it takes to keep the defense OFF BALANCE. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DirkPiggler

Quote from: FullMetalPiglet on February 06, 2006, 09:51:52 am
Shotgun Spread Offense is Recipe for Disaster

Robert Shields

My spy on the Hill, who is more often right than wrong, tells me that the Hogs will run a spread offense mostly out of a shotgun next season. Maybe this is no big surprise, but if you have been keeping up with the Hogs’ offense in years past, this is a huge departure for Houston Nutt – and for the program.

Other empirical facts also bear out that a spread offense is on the way -- the late commitments from many receivers including Damian Williams, the recommitting of Mitch Mustain after the hire of his high school coach Gus Malzahn who loves the spread, and the fact that no real running back was signed in this class unless you want to count the guy who is a combo linebacker.

The Hogs signed no less than six wide receivers. If you want to count Ben Cleveland and the guy they have listed as “athlete” (Ramon Broadway), you can make it eight. You probably have also seen stories of Darren McFadden being assured that the running game is not being scraped. I am sure Terry Bowden told Stephen Davis the same thing. Sometime after that Auburn went into the tank only to be revived when Tommy Tuberville resurrected the running game.

The Hogs already also have Cedric Logan, Cedric Washington, Rod Coleman, Reggie Fish, Chris Baker, and Marcus Monk to play receiver. Maybe some of these guys can be moved to defensive end like Anthony Brown and Jamal Anderson. In fact, Damian Williams might make a great defensive end.

With really only Felix Jones and McFadden to take the hand offs or screens as a running back, the Hogs are one ACL injury away from being completely one dimensional. Nothing new for Hog fans.

But in the SEC, if you’re going to be one dimensional, it better be with the running game. The Hogs found themselves in almost all their SEC games last season and it was because of its power running game, a very less-than-inventive running game where the option and toss sweep were used as trick plays. The Hogs still found a way to lead the SEC in running for the third time in four years, but the problem being the Hogs had absolutely no effective passing game. With such an effective running game, the play action should work but Houston Nutt found a way to make it not.

With some coaching, this team would have won more last year. Bizarre coaching moves cost the Hogs the Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Georgia, and LSU games. If you want you can add that the Alabama game was also a possible win. Nutt told us after the Alabama game that if only that John Aaron Rees kid had scooped up that blocked punt and carried it into the end zone -- spoken like a coach who had no faith in his offense.

Here is where I go negative once more, and this is a place for you to clip and mail to me when I am wrong. I know there is tremendous excitement over this class. But the Hogs going to a predominately passing attack is a formula for disaster. It could very easily lead to quick three and outs putting a shaky defense the last few years back quickly on the field. Reggie Herring improved the defense last year but he is not a miracle worker and recruiting on the defensive side has been suspect for years besides the guys signed from Central High. Seems dangerous to stick them out on the field too often.

The Hogs’ history is having great running backs, many going to the professional ranks, not quarterbacks and receivers. Backs such as Jerry Eckwood, Ben Cowins, Ike Forte, Gary Anderson, Jesse Clark, Roland Sales, Marshall Foreman, James Rouse, Derrick Thomas, Barry Foster, E.D. Jackson, Madre Hill, Chrys Chukwuma, Micheal Jenkins, and Cedric Cobbs. Now comes Felix Jones, Peyton Hillis, and Darren McFadden. The Hogs have also had their success when they had running quarterbacks, not drop-back quarterbacks.

This is like asking BYU to insert a running attack. This is a huge risk. And even if successful, be ready for excuses that this will take time to implement, which is very true. And there will be growing and learning pains.

The last time the Hogs got really, really enamored with the passing game and thought it was the way to go was following the run and shoot era of the Houston Cougars. Anyone remember when Jack Crowe tried to institute the one-back "super back" set with a more wide-open passing game?

The Hogs opened that season at home with a shocking loss to the Citadel.

USC will be starting a new quarterback, but USC’s coaching staff sees different passing attacks every week from Cal to Oregon to Oregon State to Stanford to on and on. This very well could be history repeating itself -- an experiment gone bad as much of Houston Nutt's coaching career is turning out to be at Arkansas. I guess the loss couldn’t possibly be as shocking as last season’s, though.

Send your favorite Houston Nutt play to fromthebench@yahoo.com

Robert,

Perhaps you and your spy should take a look at the Alabama offense from the 1999 season.  Most of their offense came out of the spread formation, yet they were predominantly a running team.   They ended the season as SEC champions.  Not too bad, huh?

Spreading the field with four wide receivers (if you use them occasionally) forces the defense to commit more resources to defending those receivers, which in turn opens running lanes for our backs and gives us fewer defenders to block on any given run play. 
"They've forced my hand on that one."  -  Houston Nutt, November 2005 regarding his future hiring of Gus Mal-a-zahn

Call Mr. Sow

Sometimes I agree with Shields (like when he attacks Nutt), and sometimes I don't.  This article is so ill-conceived as to not be worth griping about.  Just one example...

QuoteWith really only Felix Jones and McFadden to take the hand offs or screens as a running back, the Hogs are one ACL injury away from being completely one dimensional.

Pretty devastating ACL injury to take out both of them.

TopHawwgg

Quote from: FullMetalPiglet on February 06, 2006, 09:51:52 am

The Hogs’ history is having great running backs, many going to the professional ranks, not quarterbacks and receivers. Backs such as Jerry Eckwood, Ben Cowins, Ike Forte, Gary Anderson, Jesse Clark, Roland Sales, Marshall Foreman, James Rouse, Derrick Thomas, Barry Foster, E.D. Jackson, Madre Hill, Chrys Chukwuma, Micheal Jenkins, and Cedric Cobbs. Now comes Felix Jones, Peyton Hillis, and Darren McFadden. The Hogs have also had their success when they had running quarterbacks, not drop-back quarterbacks.

Well up until Stoops arrived at Zero U  they had never been known for the pass and all they had were famous running backs.   So I guess he is saying that once your known as a running team there is no way that you can ever be a good passing team.    What a moron.    We may or may not succeed with this offense.   I think that we can do quite well with it.   Stoops didn't have the QB's with the talent and knowledge of this offense that we have in Dick and Mustian.    At the time the wide open spread was just taking off in the college world and there were very few folks like Gus out there coaching it in High schools......but now its everywhere and both of our top 2 QB's have operated in it before.   Stoops had a Junior college QB if memory serves me correctly who had a dead fish of a arm.....and still won a NC in his second year with this offense.

Chinese Emperor

I'm afraid I'm on board with what FullMetal is saying.  As I watch Texas Tech play, I enjoy it.  It's balls to the wall football, kinda' like Canadian football.  They move up and down the field.  However, if they ever get inside the 10 yard line, they often are forced to take the 3 instead of the seven because they just can't punch it in.  Once you get down there, you have to be able to run because the field shrinks and DB's don't have to cover as much space.  You at least have to have the threat of a run so the defense has to commit 9-10 guys to stopping it so you can pass down there. 

Also I've noticed when TT plays a team with exceptional DB's, such as are present in abundance on most SEC teams, or a team that can plug in the extra DB and still dominate the line of scrimmage because they have great DL's, such as are present in abundance in the SEC, that their offense bogs down.  Just check out this year's Cotton Bowl for an example of what I'm talking about.  If a team plugs in an extra DB, you have to be able to run the football.  You can't do that out of the spread. 

One other aspect of a team like TT is that I never see them recruiting a big dog RB on campus.  That only adds to the dilemma of a weak running game.

I'll be honest and say up front I never watched Springdale play.  However, it can't be that much different than other spread offenses.  I doubt they ever had to punch anyone in the mouth to  win a game.  In the SEC you're gonna' have to be able to punch people in the mouth to win games.

So, I hope that HDN is not going to abandon the power running game.  I'm hoping that he and Malzahn are going to just come to a sort of hybridization of what each brings to the table:  incorporate spread formations along with the power I;  improve routes and involve more receivers on the passing plays we do run.  However, I certainly don't want to see us lining up in the spread formation each time we break the huddle.  I don't even want to see that the majority of the time. 

The SEC is not the WAC or even the PAC 10.  It has the top defenses and the best defensive players in the country year in and year out.  You can't beat those kinds of defense with fluff.  You got to have some serious substance to beat those kinds of defenses.

Landonhog

I hope you don't write about sports for a living....
If so, tell your kids to get ready for some of that delicious government cheese!  That article was untimely and inaccurate...    A spy???  I call that my eyes and ears...  What a winner. 

Calvin N Hawgs

I think Jarrell Williams and the Springdale Bulldogs were pretty "run oriented" for a few years.  Till Gus came alone...I think he did alright.

twistitup

We signed athletes that could help us at RB if we need it due to injury. No need to worry about the O next year- I think we will BLOW IT UP!!
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

RealSmartGuy

houston TX Razorback, I was responding to the idiot writer, your post makes sense, I thought the entire posts were to trash that guy, i hope you did not smite me, if so, equalize it!! 

Mike Tencleve

People this is a spread offense, that doesn't mean we won't run the ball. TT is only a passing team, Gus ran the ball as much as he passed it at springdale. and with the backs we have now do you really think that we won't run the hell out of the ball. Don't compare TT and the spread offense, it isn't the same, TT doesn't try and doesn't care to run the football. Totally different.

silvertip

Shield's just delivered about the dumbest analysis of football offense I've ever read. Too much to respond to, but here's a choice tidbit:

"But in the SEC, if you're going to be one dimensional, it better be with the running game."

Oh yeah. We've seen the last 6 years how well that works. What an idiot.

porque

Shields is showing how uninformed he actually is.  By all accounts we have 3 SEC level RB's.  MeFadden, Jones and Michael Smith.

TopHawwgg

TT does not have the athletes we have.   They cant get those blue chip RB's to go to west Texas.    Plus they cant get the kind of offensive linemen that we get so even if they did get a stud RB they cant get a sustained running game.   So they stick with a quick passing game scheme out of the shotgun to makeup for their lack of stud offensive linemen.   We will not have to do that simply because we have a O-line and RB's and can sustain a running game.

silvertip

Quote from: Chinese Emperor on February 06, 2006, 10:37:02 am
I'm afraid I'm on board with what FullMetal is saying.  As I watch Texas Tech play, I enjoy it.  It's balls to the wall football, kinda' like Canadian football.  They move up and down the field.  However, if they ever get inside the 10 yard line, they often are forced to take the 3 instead of the seven because they just can't punch it in.  Once you get down there, you have to be able to run because the field shrinks and DB's don't have to cover as much space.  You at least have to have the threat of a run so the defense has to commit 9-10 guys to stopping it so you can pass down there. 

Also I've noticed when TT plays a team with exceptional DB's, such as are present in abundance on most SEC teams, or a team that can plug in the extra DB and still dominate the line of scrimmage because they have great DL's, such as are present in abundance in the SEC, that their offense bogs down.  Just check out this year's Cotton Bowl for an example of what I'm talking about.  If a team plugs in an extra DB, you have to be able to run the football.  You can't do that out of the spread. 

One other aspect of a team like TT is that I never see them recruiting a big dog RB on campus.  That only adds to the dilemma of a weak running game.

I'll be honest and say up front I never watched Springdale play.  However, it can't be that much different than other spread offenses.  I doubt they ever had to punch anyone in the mouth to  win a game.  In the SEC you're gonna' have to be able to punch people in the mouth to win games.

So, I hope that HDN is not going to abandon the power running game.  I'm hoping that he and Malzahn are going to just come to a sort of hybridization of what each brings to the table:  incorporate spread formations along with the power I;  improve routes and involve more receivers on the passing plays we do run.  However, I certainly don't want to see us lining up in the spread formation each time we break the huddle.  I don't even want to see that the majority of the time. 

The SEC is not the WAC or even the PAC 10.  It has the top defenses and the best defensive players in the country year in and year out.  You can't beat those kinds of defense with fluff.  You got to have some serious substance to beat those kinds of defenses.

Thanks for your profound analysis of Texas Tech football. Hope you get to see a lot of their games next year.

Come back & tell us about Gus's O when you get a clue . He ran the ball 55% of the time last year, had a 1000yd RB.
There's 2 clues right there, free of charge.

FLKeysGuy

You at least have to have the threat of a run so the defense has to commit 9-10 guys to stopping it so you can pass down there. 

WTH?  Have any of you seen Gus' offense?  Texas Tech?  Good God!!!  For the record, during the regular season, Springdale's play calls were:  255 rushing; 200 passing.  It's just that the stats get so 'skewed' because Damian takes a 5 yard pattern and runs it for 75 additional yards.  Consequently, when you look at the yardage, it appears that Gus' offense is pass oriented.  However, if you actually WATCH the play calls, you'd see it's a VERY balanced approach.  The only reason the rushing attempts is much higher than the passing is due to the second half play calls; first half play calls are almost exactly 50-50! 

Again, in my signature line below, there is a link to Bulldog TV Online.  You can WATCH Gus' offense in action before commenting on "one dimensional" nonsense.

hogsanity

Face it ANY OFFENSE IS A RECEIPE FOR DISASTER IF IT DOES NOT WORK.  Spread, wishbone, veer, single wing, diamond T, I, etc. 

Chinese Emperor

But does TT not run the ball because they don't have the stud OL or do they not have the stud OL because they don't run the ball?  I believe it's a trickle down effect.  If you don't run the ball a lot, you not only don't get the bluchip RB, you also don't get the bluechip OL either. 

All this being said, I also watched Northwestern play this year.  Now that was a beautiful offense.  They did emphasize the run along with the pass.  That would work although I would still like to see more power formations thrown in every now and then. 

So tell me:  is Gus' offense more like TT's or is it more like Northwestern's?

Hardwork321

This guy has Gus knee pads

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on February 06, 2006, 10:54:16 am
You at least have to have the threat of a run so the defense has to commit 9-10 guys to stopping it so you can pass down there. 

WTH?  Have any of you seen Gus' offense?  Texas Tech?  Good God!!!  For the record, during the regular season, Springdale's play calls were:  255 rushing; 200 passing.  It's just that the stats get so 'skewed' because Damian takes a 5 yard pattern and runs it for 75 additional yards.  Consequently, when you look at the yardage, it appears that Gus' offense is pass oriented.  However, if you actually WATCH the play calls, you'd see it's a VERY balanced approach.  The only reason the rushing attempts is much higher than the passing is due to the second half play calls; first half play calls are almost exactly 50-50! 

Again, in my signature line below, there is a link to Bulldog TV Online.  You can WATCH Gus' offense in action before commenting on "one dimensional" nonsense.

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: Hardwork321 on February 06, 2006, 11:03:28 am
This guy has Gus knee pads

Uh, no.  I just happened to have seen almost every SHS game in person over the past 3 years.  When I see people rambling about Gus' passing bias, it's obvious they are working off of assumptions without knowing the facts.

http://www.springdalebulldogfootball.com/gamestats_2005.htm

Lando Calrissian

QuoteRobert Shields

Sounds like somebody is living in the past.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

TopHawwgg

Quote from: Chinese Emperor on February 06, 2006, 10:59:00 am
But does TT not run the ball because they don't have the stud OL or do they not have the stud OL because they don't run the ball?  I believe it's a trickle down effect.  If you don't run the ball a lot, you not only don't get the bluchip RB, you also don't get the bluechip OL either. 

Here are 2 reasons they dont have either and it does not have much to do with the offense.   #1 .....its still Texas Tech.....not much glamour in going to a school that not only is not a national power now.....but never has been in the past.    #2 ...the last time I checked the school was still in Lubbock. 

This is the same offense that Zero-U has.   The coach came from Zero-U if memeory serves me correctly.   Stoops is able to get the stud RB's and O-line in Norman for some reason.....there is no trickle down effect there for some reason.

PulledPork

Hog caller,
Are you drunk when you post?  I could swear that nearly every time you post, your spelling is horrible.....not just accidental spelling errors, but words that don't even come close!

Chinese Emperor

Just watched the first 2 series from the Jenks game.  Sure looks like the TT offense to me.  Maybe they just didn't emphasize the run against Jenks.  I'll watch more when I get home, but I do not want that full time.  I just don't think it will work in the SEC. 

Porky OLeary

TopHawwgg

Quote from: Chinese Emperor on February 06, 2006, 11:26:35 am
Just watched the first 2 series from the Jenks game.  Sure looks like the TT offense to me.  Maybe they just didn't emphasize the run against Jenks.  I'll watch more when I get home, but I do not want that full time.  I just don't think it will work in the SEC. 

So what your saying is that the stats about the run pass ratio in Gus's offense are in fact a fabrication.   Just like Texas Tech....never run unless its 4th and 1 or something.....   Guess we should get to investigating that statistician from Springdale guys.......

Now where is that sarcasm button at?.......

Chinese Emperor

Last I looked Zero U was pounding Peterson (sic) for about 30-40 carries a game.  That doesn't appear to be the Texas Tech offense to me. 

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: Chinese Emperor on February 06, 2006, 11:26:35 am

The play calling always reflected what the defense was giving.  In some games, the D was so concerned about the pass that SHS could run the ball right up the middle and get 5+ yards per carry.  Other games the D was stacked up at the line of scrimmage and SHS passed over the top.  I work in Rogers with parents of Rogers players -- they said their sons never knew whether it was a run or pass and always hesitated before committing.  Granted, it's not the SEC, but football is football.  If you can keep the defense off balance, you're gonna give McFadden the half step he needs to blow by.

pfrg999

Quote from: Landonhog on February 06, 2006, 10:37:33 am
I hope you don't write about sports for a living....
If so, tell your kids to get ready for some of that delicious government cheese!  That article was untimely and inaccurate...    A spy???  I call that my eyes and ears...  What a winner. 

Gov't Cheese.... That's funny... Shields F'd up on this one
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

Suidae

Agreement here that a one-dimensional spread is not the way to go.

Mizzou looked ridiculous trying to run the spread this year.

Play action from a successful running game is a necessity.

Not likely the Hogs will venture that far from the current offense.

By the way....how does anybody omit Fred Talley from a list of prominent Razorback RBs?
Hope it's just an oversight.

razorback3072

QuoteThe play calling always reflected what the defense was giving.  In some games, the D was so concerned about the pass that SHS could run the ball right up the middle and get 5+ yards per carry.  Other games the D was stacked up at the line of scrimmage and SHS passed over the top.  I work in Rogers with parents of Rogers players -- they said their sons never knew whether it was a run or pass and always hesitated before committing.  Granted, it's not the SEC, but football is football.  If you can keep the defense off balance, you're gonna give McFadden the half step he needs to blow by.

Exactly.  This is why GM will be successful.  He adapts to what the defenses give him and creates mismatches.  Clinkscales had several games where he was over 100yds this season.  I laugh when I see other boards talk about "he's just a highschool coach."  The man knows football.  If you want to see the balance, you can watch all the games from this season online.

http://www.bulldogtvonline.com/
A veteran is someone who at one point in his life wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for the amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor. There are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that.

http://www.nralifeofduty.tv/#/patriotprofiles

http://fearlessnavyseal.com/