Started by musiccityhog, January 09, 2006, 10:39:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hoggystyle78

redsnapper

RideTillIDieHawg

Letsroll1200

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Who dusted this moldy oldy off?   ;D ;D

I would say in about one year it will be Gafford.  But as of right now I still say Oliver Miller

AlmaHog2011

AlmaHog2011

AlmaHog2011

My alltime favorite is Corliss..No doubt the most fun to watch.

jchill

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on January 10, 2006, 02:11:20 am
That is a great story.

I love Corliss.

But I don't guess anyone has heard of Mr. Andrew Lang.

He blocked 22 shots against my high school!

BannerMountainMan

Marshawn Powell was the best shooter big man I've seen. His injury just messed his career up.
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

zenchow

3of5-2

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on December 20, 2017, 09:45:14 pm
Marshawn Powell was the best shooter big man I've seen. His injury just messed his career up.
He is playing in Italy and doing well. Still making good money, so his career is still happening, just a different turn.

3of5-2

Corliss, and it's not even close. He would would beat, and I mean beat, any of those other guys.

nesjunk

Steven Hill still has the best NBA FG percentage of all Razorbacks... :-)

CallMeAl

Hog since birth.

RedBird5

ThundrHawg

Funny story, talking about big men. During my time on the hill, the team would come and "practice" before the actual time they were allowed to. No coaches were allowed so Beck was in charge and it was obvious he had his marching orders, because they split into two teams of five and whenever anyone on either team would mess up Beck would stop the game and chew their ass. Apparently Lee Wilson was supposed to work on being aggressive, because whenever he got the ball down low, if he did anything besides try and power it to the hole Beck would stop the game and scream at him "Dunk that s&!t Lee, dunk it! WTH are you doing." He finally got mad and started playing super aggressive, I can't remember if it was Corliss or Darnell but he DOMINATED them the rest of that scrimmage. I never saw that side of him before or since in a scrimmage or game, but when he got really pissed and played physical, no one on the team could handle him. Would have loved to see that in a game.

I know, I know, CSB.

Cambridge Hog

RideTillIDieHawg

Quote from: 3of5-2 on December 20, 2017, 10:07:01 pm
He is playing in Italy and doing well. Still making good money, so his career is still happening, just a different turn.

Good for him, one of my favorite Hogs.

opineonswine

Little Lady Back

Corliss or Big O. Gafford could very well surpass them though.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: opineonswine on December 21, 2017, 08:20:33 am
Oliver Miller....hands down.
Him outplaying Shaq is something I will always remember.  One of the all time greatest performances by any Razorback in any sport IMO.  Big O showed Shaq what he was made of.   
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

rzrbackramsfan

NoogaHog

Favorite Big man would be Rosie Wallace.

Best would be Miller or Lang.

I went to high school with Lang. There was no one that could touch him then. In college, he was the best player on some not very good Hog teams (PG Scott Rose anybody?). He had a decent pro career. Always had a smallish upper body. I always thought that if he would bulk up and get stronger he could have been an amazing pro.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

NoogaHog

k.c.hawg

December 21, 2017, 09:34:14 am #76 Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 11:43:33 am by k.c.hawg
When I first got into the Runnin Razorbacks Dean Tolson was a Jr that had averaged 15.9 pts and 9.9 rebounds per game as a soph. As a Jr he went 17.6 and 12.4 as a Sr 22.5 and 13.2. Rumor was someone got on a ladder and placed a $100 bill on top of the backboard and told Dean he could have it if he could grab it.................SWC wasn't very good then but Dean and Martin Terry were aweson players under Van Eman. Dean had 6 20+ rebound games and 6 30+ points games with 2 40+ point games.

Big O was definitely the most skilled center we've had, Scott Hastings was a stretch 4 before there were stretch 4's. Joe Klein was a great back to the basket center that played against 2 longtime NBA centers on a regular basis and more than held his own. Corliss was a little big man that got it done time and time again on the biggest stage.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

hobhog

FineAsSwine

Quote from: NoogaHog on December 21, 2017, 09:22:24 am
Favorite Big man would be Rosie Wallace.

To this very day I am slightly miffed that Coach Richardson wasn't starting Rosie over IBM. Rosie was clearly better, in my view. Of course, Rosie never made it to the league so I guess the NBA scouts also agreed with Coach Richardson's assessment.
Hogs up! Covid down!

NoogaHog

Quote from: FineAsSwine on December 21, 2017, 09:43:41 am
To this very day I am slightly miffed that Coach Richardson wasn't starting Rosie over IBM. Rosie was clearly better, in my view. Of course, Rosie never made it to the league so I guess the NBA scouts also agreed with Coach Richardson's assessment.

He wasn't very skilled, just extremely physical and fearless. Think Michael Sanchez with a death wish.

PonderinHog

NoogaHog

GuvHog

Quote from: RazrBakr on January 09, 2006, 11:20:52 pm
What ever happened to Darnell Robinson?  Wasn't he "the all-time scorer" in California in high school?"  were there no tall kids in California high schools?

Darnell was great coming off of the bench his Freshman year. He had a Huge impact on the Hogs play during the NCAA Tournament. Had he kept his weight at around 245 LBS like Nolan wanted him to, he would have been an All American by the time he left for the NBA. Unfortunately he listened to the wrong people and got bad advice, ballooning his weight to over 270 LBS and was never the same player he was as a freshman.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: ModestoHOG63 on December 21, 2017, 10:52:07 am
My personal favorite was Joe Kleine.  I use to run into him in the Sacramento bars when he was with the Kings.  We would talk some Hog sports and just hang out tossing a few brews with Pete Chilcott and sometimes Reggie Theus.

Joe was a great player. I remember the year Joe Transferred to Arkansas and had to sit out, there was a guy playing Center for the Hogs who was actually a Power Forward and had a bit of an NBA career (His name escapes me). Had Joe signed with the Hogs out of High school, that guy and Joe would have played together and they would have dominated the lane.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

texas tush hog

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on December 20, 2017, 09:31:13 pm
Dean Tolson..

Went to school with Dean (Tree) Tolson. Great player, but most on here were not even born then.

PonderinHog

December 21, 2017, 11:38:48 am #85 Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 11:56:08 am by PonderinHog
Hastings   ;)

Polecat

Gimme Oliver Miller. Underrated defense and probably the best outlet passer I can remember
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

Polecat

Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

k.c.hawg

Quote from: GuvHog on December 21, 2017, 11:08:51 am
Joe was a great player. I remember the year Joe Transferred to Arkansas and had to sit out, there was a guy playing Center for the Hogs who was actually a Power Forward and had a bit of an NBA career (His name escapes me). Had Joe signed with the Hogs out of High school, that guy and Joe would have played together and they would have dominated the lane.

We didn't really play with a true center. Scott Hastings was 6'10" and would post up some, but he had very nice jump shot. Walker, Robertson, Peterson, Downtown Tony Brown and Scotty Hastings. Hastings was like 19 pts 6 reb and if memory serves me went Top 10-15 to the Knicks.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Dominicanhog

The Big Nasty was a big man in the game but for centers while playing at Arkansas.. in no order.. Big Joe from Slater Mo, Big O and Scott Hastings... how many years combined NBA is that?  ....Conference Titles?  NCAA final 4's?  NBA Titles?

Dionysos25

"Once again we've hit philosophical bedrock with the shovel of a stupid question."

HogFoo

Some forget about Darrion townes.  Even tho he was kind of a wuss off the court, in the court he usually ended up being pretty dang good.  That one year Delvon Johnson came out of no where and was pretty dang good as well!  Corliss was a great college player.  If only he had been 6'8 Or 6'9. He'd been a true superstar in NBA.  He had a decent career tho, got 6th man of the year once.  Portis was pretty good.  Kingsley good, better his Jr. Year tho.   Oliver Miller if he could have just kept his weight under control, he'd been even better..  Kleine was good, I also tho Andrew Lang was awesome.  That's as far back as I go tho. 
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

cityhog

Quote from: FIRENUTZ on January 10, 2006, 07:16:11 am
Scott Hastings has to be somewhere in the rankings.

So I'm a Denver Nuggets fan (insert your snarky insults here), and Scott is the color guy on Altitude Sports. He's really good and pretty funny to boot. I'll tweet at him every now ad again with a deep cut hog reference.

porkchopsdontfloat

Holy necro-thread Batman!

Big O or Corliss, but Gafford is on his way...
The world will little note, nor long remember, the debates that distract us from what really matters, but it will remember that we wasted our lives calling strangers on the Internet retarded for liking the wrong things.

Boog41

I don't think of Corliss as being a big man, he is a forward to me.

Best big man to me has to be Joe Kleine. #6 over-all pick in the 85 draft, 15 year NBA career, US Olympian.

Big O and Scott Hastings would be next.

Gafford has the potential to be right there with theses guys.

RebHog

Quote from: Dionysos25 on December 21, 2017, 12:04:28 pm
Big Nasty. Then Miller.

This Miller was a true big with talent but Williamson anchored the middle undersized and dominated!

The next tier for me would be Wilson, Robinson and Big Stew.

kaiserhog

Steve Stroud and James "Rocket" Crockett.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: musiccityhog on January 09, 2006, 11:03:40 pm
Corliss may have not been a "Big" man , but he was the best we've had around the basket in a long time.
This....if Corliss had been an inch or two taller we win back to back national championships. UCLA 'gooned' Corliss from the jump start and the refs allowed UCLA to do so. But to answer the question of the thread, we are watching him right now. Daniel Gafford is a true #5 therefore he is the best BIG MAN ever for the Razorbacks.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: texas tush hog on December 21, 2017, 11:17:13 am

Went to school with Dean (Tree) Tolson. Great player, but most on here were not even born then.

I know you are right. Tolson was a great rebounder and scorer. Maybe the best we have had but it was a long time back. But damn he was really a great player.

sowmonella

Quote from: Boog41 on December 21, 2017, 05:02:14 pm
I don't think of Corliss as being a big man, he is a forward to me.

Best big man to me has to be Joe Kleine. #6 over-all pick in the 85 draft, 15 year NBA career, US Olympian.

Big O and Scott Hastings would be next.

Gafford has the potential to be right there with theses guys.

Boog you just nailed it.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003