Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Did Nolan really leave the cupboard this bare?!!?

Started by taintlint, January 07, 2006, 09:41:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

taintlint

Quote from: taintlint on January 08, 2006, 08:42:19 pm
Quote from: silvertip on January 08, 2006, 08:35:27 pm
dhornjr1, don't give me you self-pitying, "Don't you dare call me a redneck SOB" indignation. No one said a damn thing about you, & for the record, I have zero interest in what color your wife is.

You want to compare Nolan's & Heath's records? Okay, let's do that:

Nolan's FIRST 4 years---ONE NCAAT win. ONE NIT win vs almighty ArkSt. One SWC title.
Nolan's LAST 4 years---ONE NCAAT win. One SECtourny title, zero SEC titles.

Now, Stan in his FIRST 3 years has ONE NIT invite. (and I really sincerely believe we could have beat Ark St)

Now, in Stan's 4th year, all he has to get is ONE NCAAT win to equal Nolan's NCAAT success in either Nolan's First 4 years OR his Last 4 years. Should Stan actually get a whopping TWO NCAAT wins this year, he would equal Nolan's NCAAT success in those EIGHT YEARS combined.

About the players Nolan got from Sutton? Andrew Lang had a very good & long NBA career. Allie Freeman, Kenny Hutchison, William Mills, Stephan Moore, and Eric Poerschke were each & every one better than anyone Heath inherited. Heath took the basket cases that finished -8.5 RB margin in Nolan's last year & turned that into +5.5 RB margin the next year.

You can discount the damage that Nolan did all you want. Fact is, Nolan had a much easier time (player wise) than Heath had to start & Nolan is exactly the reason why. Now, Heath can equal Nolan's first four years, or last four years, with a whopping ONE NCAAT win. If Heath stayed 15 years, does anyone think the program would be such a disaster at that time?

My conclusion is that Heath has done a better job in his first 4yrs than Nolan did.
And my conclusion is that SOME of the people giving Heath a hard time are SOME of the same ones that did it to Nolan for the SAME reason.

I totally understand your logic and what you say is making sense. Regardless, is all future success based on a 4 year grace period? Should our next football coach get AT LEAST 8 years to prove himself? What if it had taken Nolan 10 years to turn out wins? Would that be the measuring stick? Sure, if Nolan and his timetable of success is the measuring standard, then Heath should stay. That is simply not the case though. Changes should be made without refering to how long it took your PREVIOUS coach.

Forget everything I have ever said!! These exact words posted above are the words I have been looking for for 4 years! Excellent post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

taintlint

camelt

Quote from: taintlint on January 08, 2006, 08:45:00 pm
Quote from: cameltoe on January 08, 2006, 08:38:18 pm
I smell what your cookin tip. The sky is not falling. We missed some freethrows, that's all. We need 4-5 conference road wins and to take care of business at home to win the west.

The sky is not falling because you are in outer space and it's already a mile beneath your feet. Something tells me that if you wrote checks to the Foundation and actually bought season tickets you might place a higher value on some "Missed Free Throws" and 2 SEC road wins in the past 4 million years.

So tell me, what would satisfy you this year?  Whom ever wins the west will lose at least half their road games this year.  Are you saying that all the coaches in the SEC west should be canned? 

Parity, that is all I am saying. Not just in regards to the Hogs, but virtually all D1 teams.  I hate to lose and we should have won that game, but I strongly feel we will have a successful year.

I just want to know your definition of a successful year with the roster we have and the lack of a true point guard.

taintlint

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 08, 2006, 08:47:00 pm
Nolan left a LOT more talent behind for Heath than he inherited from Eddie. Sullinger, Iggy, Modica...that's as good a top 3 as anything Heath has had, current team included.

I had the privilege of meeting Nolan early in his UA career, spent some time with him on out-of-town hoops trips. He's a kind, caring, gentle man...who never tolerated racism on any terms. Remember, he had a Mexican grandmother! Do you folks remember the story of the prominent UA booster who sent the letter to Nolan after the NC in 94, the one that shared she was pulling her families financial support of the basketball program because the NC was tainted by that N----- being the coach. What about his farm animals being spray painted with racist words? Nolan was proud of who he was, proud of what he had accomplished, and deserved to NOT be baited into going off the deep end. Hey, you push any of us hard enough, for a long enough period of time, and we'll snap, too. No one knows what he endured.

That said, I can't condone his backlash at the University. He can say what he wants about the people, but the University stood with him more often than not. They welcomed a black HC when that just didn't happen in the South and stood behind him those first few years when they could have bailed on him. He should have remembered that, and worked harder behind the scenes to mend the fences that needed mending.

Nolan found people to rebound--Lenzy Howell, Nicky Davis. Nolan found point guards that NO ONE else wanted, and turned them into fine players. He found pure scorers, or at the least versatile playmakers, and created sets to get them the ball so they could do their thing. I'd love to see Brewer in Nolan's double post set at the free throw line, the one used by Todd Day and later Scotty Thurman and even later by Sullinger to create opportunities.

Nolan never accepted laziness on the court.

Nolan was wearing out late in his career, but also he was learing to be an administrator. He was delegating authority to a great assistant, Mike Anderson. I didn't think Anderson had it in him to be a plus HC in NCAA level play. He is. Anderson would have put Heath's second team in the NIT, probably deep in the run to NYC, and would have been in the NCAA last year. He'd have this bunch in the top 15 right now.

For those who like to compare, Heath is a shadow of what Nutt is as a coach. And, the hired-gun assistant has not had the impact for Heath that Herring had for Nutt this year. Watch: Heath will have Ronnie Brewer (one of the 5 greatest Hogs since his Daddy played for Sutton) and not one NCAA tourney game to show for it. Totally inexcuseable. The Showplace of NW Arkansas will be a very quiet place for a very long time.

This is the quote I meant to grab. Excellent post!! Hit the nail on the head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jkcrunch

Two thoughts to maybe simple state my opinion.   Stan was given a 5 year deal I would to see him be given that time.  Honor his contract and let him go if he is not taking the program where it should go until that is up I going to be positive and keep rooting for the guys to pull it off this and make the Dance.  Secondly Nolan took this team to the pinnacle and that is how a choose to remember his tenure as coach.

taintlint

Quote from: cameltoe on January 08, 2006, 08:52:49 pm
Quote from: taintlint on January 08, 2006, 08:45:00 pm
Quote from: cameltoe on January 08, 2006, 08:38:18 pm
I smell what your cookin tip. The sky is not falling. We missed some freethrows, that's all. We need 4-5 conference road wins and to take care of business at home to win the west.

The sky is not falling because you are in outer space and it's already a mile beneath your feet. Something tells me that if you wrote checks to the Foundation and actually bought season tickets you might place a higher value on some "Missed Free Throws" and 2 SEC road wins in the past 4 million years.

So tell me, what would satisfy you this year? Whom ever wins the west will lose at least half their road games this year. Are you saying that all the coaches in the SEC west should be canned?

Parity, that is all I am saying. Not just in regards to the Hogs, but virtually all D1 teams. I hate to lose and we should have won that game, but I strongly feel we will have a successful year.

I just want to know your definition of a successful year with the roster we have and the lack of a true point guard.

I answered this above........
, is all future success based on a 4 year grace period? Should our next football coach get AT LEAST 8 years to prove himself? What if it had taken Nolan 10 years to turn out wins? Would that be the measuring stick? Sure, if Nolan and his timetable of success is the measuring standard, then Heath should stay. That is simply not the case though. Changes should be made without refering to how long it took your PREVIOUS coach.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Oklahawg, thanks for that post.  I was trying to remember some of the racist stuff that had been done to Nolan.  Those that think that kind of stuff doesn't exist anymore and that nothing bad ever really happened to Nolan have been smokin' too much wacky tabacky. 

However, I don't think not firing Nutt has anything to do with race.  It is just pure cluelessness on the part of the Hill.

I am starting to wonder about Heath.  I keep thinking he'll turn it around...just don't know anymore.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

camelt

Quote from: taintlint on January 08, 2006, 08:53:40 pm
Quote from: Oklahawg on January 08, 2006, 08:47:00 pm
Nolan left a LOT more talent behind for Heath than he inherited from Eddie. Sullinger, Iggy, Modica...that's as good a top 3 as anything Heath has had, current team included.

You have got tp be kidding me.  Sull transfered, Iggy went to AZ, and Modica was a freshman.  Everyone and I mean everyone else left was absolutely horrible.  Im not sure we had 1 or 2 that could be considered D1 talent.  Nolan did leave the cubbard bare and Heath only had 2-3 weeks to recruit when he arrived. 

Rayzor

silvertip, your wrong about Nolans first 4 years vs Heaths...Nolans was WAY WAY Better:

Wins   Losses   Tourney
1985-86   12   16   none
1986-87   19   14   NIT
1987-88   21   9   NCAA
1988-89   25   7   SWC Champs
1989-90   30   5   Final 4
1990-91   34   4   El. 8
1991-92   26   8   Sweet 16
1992-93   22   9   Sweet 16
1993-94   31   3   National Champs
1994-95   32   7   Runner-up
1995-96   20   13   NCAA
1996-97   18   18   NIT
1997-98   24   9   NCAA
1998-99   23   11   NCAA
1999-2000   19   15   Won SEC Tourney;NCAA
2000-01   14   15   Incomplete season

WilsonHog

Four years is long enough to rebuild a basketball program. For that matter, three years might be long enough.

We took a chance on a guy based on one well-publicized NCAA run.

We're getting what we deserve.

jkcrunch

Fyi I have also made every home game in basketball since 82.    And if I have one regret is that our fans took home court for granted and we have lost the zeal we had.   And dont say it is because we are losing,  early in Nolan' tenure we were not winning but fans still knew they made a difference.   Since we built the BUD year by year the fans that just watch the game became a larger group than the fans who particpate in the game maybe one day those that particpate we out number the voyeurs.

silvertip

Quote from: taintlint on January 08, 2006, 08:30:03 pm
Quote from: Rayzor on January 08, 2006, 08:11:52 pm
Heath got a better team than Nolan was handed. The problem is the style of play. Slow down ball does not fit this team. Like him or not, Nolan could take this group and win.

Even when this team wins its pretty boring to watch!!

That sums this entire thread up. I can not think of a single teenager that would for even 3 seconds of his entire young life ever dream of going off to college and playing some of the slowest, most boring, non fundamentally sound, winless basketball known to man. Regardless, Heath somehow talks these kids into coming to UA but once they get here, it's like trying to put a square peg into a triangle hole. Like it or not, the days of strong fundamentals and slow paced basketball are over. Not many kids now can play defense and they damn sure can't handle basic offensive fundamentals. With that said, Nolan or Mike Anderson could take this exact same group of kids and blow some opposing teams flat out of the gym. They would simply recognize their strengths and go from there. These kids could press that court all night long, would enjoy it by the way, and be much more successful if only given the chance. Heath chooses to force a style of play on these players that just wont work. Heath likes to be Mr. Nice Guy and conservative, and that's ok, but at the same time we will have to expect similar results year in and year out.

So, you "can't think of a single teenager" who would like to play Heath's style, huh? Maybe you ought to start paying attention.

No one is fooled about what style Heath wants to play. It's real similar to what Heathcote did to take Mich St to 3 Final Fours & one NCAA Championship.

Townes, Hill, Brewer,Thomas & incoming Weems & Washington could all pretty much pick who they wanted to play for. You think Nolan could take these same players & do better? Fact is, Nolan would not have been able to get most of these same players. BIG MEN would not come & play for Nolan anymore once he ruined the careers of #1-in-the-history-of California Robinson & #1-in-the-history-of-Texas Wilson. That was it for Hawg BB---we were not going to get anymore blue-chip big men as long as Nolan was there. It's called a "pattern." It was because of his style of play.

Similar to Hawgs would not get a blue-chip TE in FB to play for HDN. Gee, wonder why? It's called a "pattern." It's because of his style of play.

taintlint

Quote from: silvertip on January 08, 2006, 09:02:32 pm
Quote from: taintlint on January 08, 2006, 08:30:03 pm
Quote from: Rayzor on January 08, 2006, 08:11:52 pm
Heath got a better team than Nolan was handed. The problem is the style of play. Slow down ball does not fit this team. Like him or not, Nolan could take this group and win.

Even when this team wins its pretty boring to watch!!

That sums this entire thread up. I can not think of a single teenager that would for even 3 seconds of his entire young life ever dream of going off to college and playing some of the slowest, most boring, non fundamentally sound, winless basketball known to man. Regardless, Heath somehow talks these kids into coming to UA but once they get here, it's like trying to put a square peg into a triangle hole. Like it or not, the days of strong fundamentals and slow paced basketball are over. Not many kids now can play defense and they damn sure can't handle basic offensive fundamentals. With that said, Nolan or Mike Anderson could take this exact same group of kids and blow some opposing teams flat out of the gym. They would simply recognize their strengths and go from there. These kids could press that court all night long, would enjoy it by the way, and be much more successful if only given the chance. Heath chooses to force a style of play on these players that just wont work. Heath likes to be Mr. Nice Guy and conservative, and that's ok, but at the same time we will have to expect similar results year in and year out.

So, you "can't think of a single teenager" who would like to play Heath's style, huh? Maybe you ought to start paying attention.

No one is fooled about what style Heath wants to play. It's real similar to what Heathcote did to take Mich St to 3 Final Fours & one NCAA Championship.

Townes, Hill, Brewer,Thomas & incoming Weems & Washington could all pretty much pick who they wanted to play for. You think Nolan could take these same players & do better? Fact is, Nolan would not have been able to get most of these same players. BIG MEN would not come & play for Nolan anymore once he ruined the careers of #1-in-the-history-of California Robinson & #1-in-the-history-of-Texas Wilson. That was it for Hawg BB---we were not going to get anymore blue-chip big men as long as Nolan was there. It's called a "pattern." It was because of his style of play.

Similar to Hawgs would not get a blue-chip TE in FB to play for HDN. Gee, wonder why? It's called a "pattern." It's because of his style of play.

Well, you take your "Big Men" and Heath style of play and lets magically put them up against Anderson and/or Richardson. I think we know how that would end up. Hell, I went to West Point. Was I a typical cadet? Hell no. I was way to much of a free spirit and "individual". I say that only to point out that a slick tounged recruiter (Heath) can talk you into doing or joining just about anything. I'll shut up when Heath starts winning. Bottom line.

taintlint

Quote from: WilsonHog on January 08, 2006, 09:01:38 pm
Four years is long enough to rebuild a basketball program. For that matter, three years might be long enough.

Another rock solid post that explains everything! I agree 100%.

camelt

Quote from: taintlint on January 08, 2006, 09:14:53 pm
Quote from: WilsonHog on January 08, 2006, 09:01:38 pm

Another rock solid post that explains everything! I agree 100%.

Who would you hire?  Not being a jerk, just curious.  Is it just the style of play you don't like?

A succesful takeover that I can think of is Caliperi @ Memphis.  This is his first good year and has done it with young talent.  Isn't this his 5th year?  It takes time.  Considereing where we were when Nolan left (limited TV and no NCAA's) Heath has been a beast on the recruting trail. 

Razorod

Another point, though it is subjective, is that the SEC is not nearly as difficult a bb conference as it is a fb. I admit, I can't prove that point, but I believe it to be true. We should be the dominant program in the SEC west in bb. No excuses. In football--there is Bama (if they ever hire the right coach watch out), Auburn and LSU all with better tradition than us. In BB--no one is close to us.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Oklahawg

My point may not be clear--Nolan would have had a top 3 of Sullinger, Iggy and Modica, and that is a better top 3 than Brewer, Townes and Modica. The number of kids bailing on UA when Heath was hired should tell us that the turmoil described had some merit--kids just don't transfer like that.

A great coach could have talked Sullinger into staying and getting Iggy here. Not going to happen with a greenhorn.

Who else could we have had? I was dying to get Dennis Felton. He was running through the tourney with Western Kentucky and had some tenure. Met all the pre-requisites except his starting pay would be quite a bit higher. Too bad.

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Razorod

Dennis Felton is still a name that I like. If you think Heath inherited a mess, look what he got following Harrick.

Maybe next time, we'll spend the money necessary for a good coach and I think Felton fits the bill. M. Anderson won't be the coach here because of Broyles and White, might as well forget that one.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Oklahawg

You're right, and I don't think Mike would wander back this way. He's home. I'm not sure he'll even leave UAB.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hog caller

what does Ronnie Thompson do?does anyone there know how to teach hill how to play center?

camelt

You can lead a horse to water as they say.  Sombody needs to stand on a stool and grab Hill by the jersey and convince him he is 7' tall.  At least he doesn't try and shoot 3's like Darnell Robinson used to.

BentonvilleJeff

Oklahawg, I like what you are saying and agree with you.

Since we can't get Mike Anderson, I think we need to get an up and comer that people don't think about too much. Scott Sutton. Not Sean, he is with Eddie and is lined up to take over Ok St. Scott is ten million times a better people person and will be a better coach than Sean. Just wait and see. He is a tremendous talent. He is now proving himself at ORU and is getting the experience that he didn't have when we hired Stan. We probably won't get him but I would love that and I'm no Eddie fan anymore after he crawled to Ky, I just think this would be a great hire no matter what his name is.

Razorback88

QuoteI'll shut up when Heath starts winning. Bottom line.
Is that why you didn't post anything about the basketball program for the 46 days since our last loss??  I knew you would be back.

camelt

Quote from: Razorback88 on January 08, 2006, 10:30:53 pm
QuoteI'll shut up when Heath starts winning. Bottom line.
Is that why you didn't post anything about the basketball program for the 46 days since our last loss?? I knew you would be back.

PHACE

Hawg414

Quote from: silvertip on January 08, 2006, 12:05:05 am
Quote from: Niels Boar on January 07, 2006, 11:04:54 pm
Quote from: silvertip on January 07, 2006, 10:55:21 pm
Good to see you back, taintlint. (not really) Did Nolan really leave the cupboard this bare? One word---YES.

I'm really pissed about tonight. But I'll tell you one thing, Mrs Richardson. Every year since Heath has been here has been better than what your old man left. Comprende?

Yeah, it's all creative criticism of Heath. You're full of crap as usual.

OK, Niels. You're better at research than I am. How about you back up your disastifaction with Heath by comparing his record with Nolan. Tell us how many NCAAT tourney games Nolan won from '98 thru '02 as compared to Stan's NCAAT record in Stan's first 4 years. I would really like to see those #s as I looked at that a year ago & as usual my memory is not good. Give us the #s, chief.

And then, how about you tell us about Nolan's record in his first 4 years in the pitiful SWC as compared to Stan's first 4 years in the almighty SEC.

It being 11:30 on Sat night & myself about about 5 beers & 3 shots of Jack Daniels into the wind---I'm just going to go ahead & quit tap-dancing around & say what I REALLY think. Do not take this personal Niels, as I am not talking about you.

The first couple of years when Nolan showed up, his teams were not that good & he was struggling with a daughter dying with leukemia. At that time, there were a lot of fans who would just not cut him any slack at all & said he could not hold a candle to Eddie Sutton. As far as I'm concerned a lot of that was racism.

Now, Heath can't do anything right in some people's mind, and as far as I'm concerned it's the same damn problem
. I DESPISE Nolan's lawsuit claiming that racism led him to be treated more harshly than HDN. I am disgusted by Nolan's assertion that HDN was treated better than Nolan because of race.

But I will lay it right out on the line. I think that a lot of the criticism I see of Heath is pure & simple racism. I think a lot off the people razzin on Heath's ass right now are a lot of of the same people who were razzin on Nolan when he first got here. What Nolan correctly called "Redneck SOBs." And I don't even like Nolan. But I saw it then, and I see it now. Some of the same people who worship HDN now just can't stand Stan.

Make of it what you want. Not you, Niels. But there are a bunch of people around here who just can't stand Stan---but really can't tell you why.

Now, I'll hang up & listen. Should be interesting. 

Quote from: silvertip on January 08, 2006, 08:06:03 pm
Quote from: Hawg414 on January 08, 2006, 03:41:31 am
and for the record... i feel this way because i feel this way... not because i am white and he is black...as you seem to suggest for everyone who is not tickled to death with heaths overwhelming success.

I did not in any way, shape, or form suggest that "everyone" unhappy with Heath has racial motivations. Go find something else to whine about.
I was not thinking about Hawg414 or any other particular poster nor did I mention anyone by name, you poor little baby.

my bad silver... apparently i somehow misinterpreted the above very clear comments.  i guess when i read you to say "a lot of the criticism i see of heath is pure and simple racism" i somehow mistakenly interpreted that as meaning a lot of the criticism you see of heath is pure and simple racism. 

Ugly Uncle

Retired Radio Host

dhornjr1

Quote from: silvertip on January 08, 2006, 08:35:27 pm
dhornjr1, don't give me you self-pitying, "Don't you dare call me a redneck SOB" indignation. No one said a damn thing about you, & for the record, I have zero interest in what color your wife is.

You want to compare Nolan's & Heath's records? Okay, let's do that:

Nolan's FIRST 4 years---ONE NCAAT win. ONE NIT win vs almighty ArkSt. One SWC title.
Nolan's LAST 4 years---ONE NCAAT win. One SECtourny title, zero SEC titles.

Now, Stan in his FIRST 3 years has ONE NIT invite. (and I really sincerely believe we could have beat Ark St)

Now, in Stan's 4th year, all he has to get is ONE NCAAT win to equal Nolan's NCAAT success in either Nolan's First 4 years OR his Last 4 years. Should Stan actually get a whopping TWO NCAAT wins this year, he would equal Nolan's NCAAT success in those EIGHT YEARS combined.

About the players Nolan got from Sutton? Andrew Lang had a very good & long NBA career. Allie Freeman, Kenny Hutchison, William Mills, Stephan Moore, and Eric Poerschke were each & every one better than anyone Heath inherited. Heath took the basket cases that finished -8.5 RB margin in Nolan's last year & turned that into +5.5 RB margin the next year.

You can discount the damage that Nolan did all you want. Fact is, Nolan had a much easier time (player wise) than Heath had to start & Nolan is exactly the reason why. Now, Heath can equal Nolan's first four years, or last four years, with a whopping ONE NCAAT win. If Heath stayed 15 years, does anyone think the program would be such a disaster at that time?

My conclusion is that Heath has done a better job in his first 4yrs than Nolan did.
And my conclusion is that SOME of the people giving Heath a hard time are SOME of the same ones that did it to Nolan for the SAME reason.

So now "SOME" racists want Heath gone instead of "a lot". Great. I'm glad that's cleared up.

Andrew Lang had a very long & good NBA career? Riiiiiight.

I never said that Heath's inherited players were worse than Nolan's. I was merely saying that Eddie Sutton didn't exactly leave a roster bursting with talent. What are your facts to back up saying that Freeman, Poerschke, Mills, etc. were better than anything Heath inherited? The only fact I see is that our rebounding improved from -8.5 in Nolan's last year to 5.5 in Heath's first. Well, why didn't you say so before? That settles it!! Stan Heath is a freakin BASKETBALL GOD!!!

Since the SWC sucked in your estimation let's figure something up. In Nolan's fourth year, all with his players he went 25-7 overall and 12-4 in SWC play and won the SWC Tourney. Then won a game in the NCAA's. What would that equate to in the SEC this year? Right now they're 11-3 and 0-1. Hmmmm......Would 21-8 and 10-6 in the conference sound reasonable? It's not gonna happen, but that would probably be a fair assessment. We're probably realistically looking at 18-11 and 7-9 unless a damn miracle happens and three or four guys grow a heart.

In Nolan's fourth year, his roster included Todd Day, Lee Mayberry, Oliver Miller, Lenzie Howell, Mario Credit, and Ron Huery. In other words, the nucleus of the team that would go 30-5 in 1989-90, 14-2 in SWC play, storm through the SWC tourney and then streak to the Final Four. Then go 34-4, 15-1 in 1990-91 and advance to the Elite Eight. Then dominate the "Almighty" SEC in 1992 with two wins over Shaquille O'Neal and LSU, a win at Rupp Arena, and an overall SEC Championship. 40 MINUTES OF HELL WERE IN FULL SWING!!!! AH!! It was exhilarating!!

Who can forget Mike Nail's calls?

Nail: Shot blocked by Miller, outlet pass to Mayberry who lays it up and in!!! Ball stolen by Mayberry on the inbounds pass ahead to Todd Day for the slam dunk!!!Full court pressure again applied by Arkansas. Pass stolen by Huery ahead to Day on the right wing. DAY FOR THREE, GOOOOOD!!! And Tom Penders calls a timeout!!! Arkansas on an 18-2 run and leads it 55-38!!!

They sold the whole seat at Barnhill Arena but you only needed the edge. It was so crowded and hot in there, the noise was so deafening, it was unbelievable.

And now........well, it's sorta like reading one of your posts. It's long and slow and nobody really has any idea of where it's going.

Rick Schaeffer: The Hogs just can't hit an outside shot, Mike. They're gonna see a lot of zone this year and they need someone to step up and hit those open outside shots.

Nail: Shot blocked by Hill!!! Ahead to Dontell Jefferson for three!!! Barely draws iron. Rebound by Townes he loses it out of bounds. Possession Mississippi State. Ahead to Richard Delk for three, good.. UGH!!

Before you compare Heath's NCAA tourney record to Nolan's...LET HIM HAVE ONE FIRST!! Hell, let him go .500 in conference road games and then maybe he can carry Rose Richardson's purse.

Since the liquor and the relative security of these boards permit you to talk tough, I have "zero interest" in discussing this further with someone who has no facts to back up their talk. You remind me of an old saying...If you can't dazzle 'em with your brilliance then stun 'em with your BS. I am now going to make love to my very beautiful African-American wife.