• 382,432 Topics
• 21,385 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Season Starts Saturday  (Read 1900 times)

bphi11ips

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
Re: New Season Starts Saturday
« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2017, 09:26:27 pm »

Defense is no better now than it ever has been in the Bert era.......if anything it's worst.......you're one of the ones on here always defending Bert and his system, saying it's okay things are the way they are, this is what we expected.....no it's not.....we didn't expect to just give up the TCU game.......that's when things really began to just suck.........it was 14-7 until like the final three minutes then the final score was what, 28-7.........I mean, that was bad.....losing to A&M in overtime again was worst......South Carolina was just the freaking cherry on top........This team is much worst than anyone thought.......ESPN analysts were saying our offense should've been a top notch unit, despite the losses at reciever......Allen was going to be just talented enough to help lead them into the season, and our running unit would talented enough to take some of the burden off of the Passing game......sure we weren't in contention for a Natty or an SEC West title, but we were expected to be an 8-4, 9-3 Dark horse, and now we simply just give up and lose in embarassing fashion every freaking game.......that's not okay.......and I don't care how hard they fight, Auburn, LSU, Miss State, and Ole Miss have just as much reason to fight as we do......especially Auburn, LSU, and even Ole Miss, their 3-3 now.....they could very easily shock us all and run the table and finish 9-3 to everyone's surprise.....Maybe LSU shocks the world and upsets 'Bama.......Miss state is 4-2, they could be the team that shocks everyone out there......let's not forget no one thought Johnny Football and A&M were going to knock of Bama that year until the clock reached 00:00.........These other teams have just as much reason if not MORE to fight than we do.......If I stood a chance to finish out 9-3 or 10-2, you bet I'd be giving it heart and soul to win every game.......so we aren't going to be the only one's dishing it out, everyone else is going to be fired up too...........and we are not going to be ready for it.........

Now, now. Take a deep breath.

Arkansas finished 79 in Total Defense in 2016.  Right now they are 56.

TCU is undefeated and ranked 4th in the country. They were a 6 point favorite in our house. They are a better football team than Arkansas this year.

Ole Miss is 3-3. With wins over South Alabama, UT Martin and Vanderbilt. Did I say anyone is going to roll over?  No, but Arkansas is better than Ole Miss.

Arkansas has lost 4 games to teams with a combined record of 24-4. It gets easier after Auburn. That was the OP’s point.

WilsonHog

• Administrator
  • Classes of '85 and '87
« Reply #101 on: October 16, 2017, 09:40:59 pm »

Not all wins or losses are equal. Take last weekend as an example. Even though it was 41-9, I took some positives away based on how we got after it. We played hard. Had we lost 66-3, I wouldn't have felt that way.

By the same token, we let New Mexico State hang around and beat them by a couple of touchdowns. Had that been a 49-7 type of game, fans likely would have taken a completely different vibe away from it.

Against South Carolina, we did nothing offensively in the second half. Nothing. Frank Ragnow all but said that we quit. Consequently, I came away with a totally different feeling than I would have had if we had played our asses off and lost 24-21.

Context doesn't matter in a won/loss record; it does in how those wins and losses are perceived.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

bphi11ips

« Reply #102 on: October 16, 2017, 09:55:23 pm »

Not all wins or losses are equal. Take last weekend as an example. Even though it was 41-9, I took some positives away based on how we got after it. We played hard. Had we lost 66-3, I wouldn't have felt that way.

By the same token, we let New Mexico State hang around and beat them by a couple of touchdowns. Had that been a 49-7 type of game, fans likely would have taken a completely different vibe away from it.

Against South Carolina, we did nothing offensively in the second half. Nothing. Frank Ragnow all but said that we quit. Consequently, I came away with a totally different feeling than I would have had if we had played our asses off and lost 24-21.

Context doesn't matter in a won/loss record; it does in how those wins and losses are perceived.

Agreed.

New Mexico State has its best team in 50 years.

Our offense gave up 24 points to SC.

TCU wasn’t over until 3 minutes to go in the game. They are undefeated and ranked 4th in the country.

A&M is a good team. We lost in OT when AA threw an ill advised pass. AA has been the biggest head scratcher this year. It’s not all WRs and O-line. His mechanics have been poor and so has his decision making. Who knows why? 

I wasn’t overly impressed by our game against Alabama. Better effort at times, but same old same old at others. What Alabama underscored for me was how superior Alabama’s athletes are at every position. And that will be the case most of the time they step on the field.

Roaringboar

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #103 on: October 16, 2017, 09:57:16 pm »

Now, now. Take a deep breath.

Arkansas finished 79 in Total Defense in 2016.  Right now they are 56.

TCU is undefeated and ranked 4th in the country. They were a 6 point favorite in our house. They are a better football team than Arkansas this year.

Ole Miss is 3-3. With wins over South Alabama, UT Martin and Vanderbilt. Did I say anyone is going to roll over?  No, but Arkansas is better than Ole Miss.

Arkansas has lost 4 games to teams with a combined record of 24-4. It gets easier after Auburn. That was the OP’s point.

Ole Miss still has one win more than we do, and it was against a Vandy D that has really improved....not Alabama or Auburn good, but it has gotten much better, and it was a game many thought Ole Miss might actually lose......And how does it get easier after Auburn......We still have LSU and Miss State, two 4-2 teams who still think they have a chance to make some noise.....man, I don't know what happened to fans after this Bama game, but just because we lost by a little over thirty points and not 60 doesn't mean crap......BAMA TOOK IT EASY ON US.........they scored a 75 yard TD with 13 minutes left in the first quarter.....if they could do that, they knew they could walk all over us.....that's why Saban was getting ticked I think because he wanted more fight out of his guys despite playing a cupcake in Arkansas........Malzan and Auburn just lost.....They won't make that mistake, Orgeron isn't going to make that mistake, Mullen really would like to show people he's a for real SEC west coach by finishing towards the top of the west, and according to this logic that, "Oh we'll fight to just prove we don't suck".....well if that's the case, we'd better be ready because Mizzou is going to be trying to deliver an grade A @$$-whooping that won't quit........this whole idea, "We'll win because we're going to fight harder....." Yeah right......I don't get where this sudden arrogance is coming from in the Hog base, but it sounds like everyone is treating the rest of our schedule like it's NMST, and, well, we didn't play that great in that one either, and that was Sun Belt program....

bphi11ips

« Reply #104 on: October 16, 2017, 10:13:11 pm »

Ole Miss still has one win more than we do, and it was against a Vandy D that has really improved....not Alabama or Auburn good, but it has gotten much better, and it was a game many thought Ole Miss might actually lose......And how does it get easier after Auburn......We still have LSU and Miss State, two 4-2 teams who still think they have a chance to make some noise.....man, I don't know what happened to fans after this Bama game, but just because we lost by a little over thirty points and not 60 doesn't mean crap......BAMA TOOK IT EASY ON US.........they scored a 75 yard TD with 13 minutes left in the first quarter.....if they could do that, they knew they could walk all over us.....that's why Saban was getting ticked I think because he wanted more fight out of his guys despite playing a cupcake in Arkansas........Malzan and Auburn just lost.....They won't make that mistake, Orgeron isn't going to make that mistake, Mullen really would like to show people he's a for real SEC west coach by finishing towards the top of the west, and according to this logic that, "Oh we'll fight to just prove we don't suck".....well if that's the case, we'd better be ready because Mizzou is going to be trying to deliver an grade A @$$-whooping that won't quit........this whole idea, "We'll win because we're going to fight harder....." Yeah right......I don't get where this sudden arrogance is coming from in the Hog base, but it sounds like everyone is treating the rest of our schedule like it's NMST, and, well, we didn't play that great in that one either, and that was Sun Belt program....

Vanderbilt has given up 199 points in its last 4 games.

Maybe you think the Hogs should pack it in. I doubt they will.

Roaringboar

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #105 on: October 16, 2017, 10:16:40 pm »

Vanderbilt has given up 199 points in its last 4 games.

Maybe you think the Hogs should pack it in. I doubt they will.

Not saying they will, but to say the rest of the SEC will and just crumble to our "fighting spirit" is just ridiculous.......the season doesn't start over Saturday.......the failure just continues on deeper into October.....

bphi11ips

« Reply #106 on: October 16, 2017, 10:23:59 pm »

Not saying they will, but to say the rest of the SEC will and just crumble to our "fighting spirit" is just ridiculous.......the season doesn't start over Saturday.......the failure just continues on deeper into October.....

Did someone say the rest of the SEC will crumble to the Hogs’ fighting spirit?  Link? 

You have no idea what will happen the rest of the season. Just an opinion like everyone else.

Dropkick

« Reply #107 on: October 16, 2017, 10:30:30 pm »

I think after going 2-4 in the first six we will come back and go 2-4 in this new season too. Hope I'm wrong.

rzrbackramsfan

• All-American Hogvillian
  • "Winners never quit, quitters never win"
« Reply #108 on: October 16, 2017, 10:32:17 pm »

We're heading into the 2nd half of the season Saturday. We have a new QB with swagger and a cannon where an arm should be. We have a new lineup on the offensive line that showed potential. As bad as things have gone thus far, WE CAN STILL FINISH WITH 9 WINS! That includes a bowl win of course. Everyone left on our schedule have had games where they looked just as bad if not worse than we have. The game against Auburn should be the most difficult of the bunch, but a win there could snowball into a successful finish! GO HOGS!

I don't even know if I want that.  I have 0 faith in Bret, even if he does that.  It'd just be another example of him taking too long to get a talented team playing at a high level. 

rzrbackramsfan

• All-American Hogvillian
  • "Winners never quit, quitters never win"
« Reply #109 on: October 16, 2017, 10:34:02 pm »

The thing about the Alabama game is that it's really easy to get up and play your best for that game.  You're pumped up to play the best, everyone thinks you will get dominated so nothing to lose, and the other team doesn't respect you. 

We had all three of those things going for us and Bama toyed with us to a tune of a 41-9. 

HoginMemphis

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #110 on: October 16, 2017, 11:05:48 pm »

Hold on to the rope..............
Love that helmet. One heartbeat.

HoginMemphis

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #111 on: October 16, 2017, 11:07:24 pm »

I hear you. The 56-3 loss to Auburn last year was enough of a show of lack of competence and control that I would have fired Bielema the next morning if I had been the AD. We would not be going through all of this right now if that had occurred.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas