Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Would you be mediocre in the SEC or 3rd or 4th in the Big 12?

Started by counsellorhog, October 20, 2005, 09:40:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

counsellorhog

Just felt the need to point this out.  Texas Tech used to be one of those games in the old SWC we would mark down as a win before the season.  My how far we've come...

JJHog

Tech is better last year and this. It is a temporary deal.
" Think Right, Do Right"

Swino

Turnberry

Quote from: JJHog on October 20, 2005, 09:55:46 am

And how exactly do you know that it's only temporary?

aka PlanoHog

ruzzman3

they have been to a bowl the past 3 years and smoked cal last year. they have 2 great quaterbacks waiting in the wings

3kgthog

But, like Arkansas, Texas Tech will never win a conference championship or a national title.  The system and the weak conference can only take you so far. Ask Houston and BYU. 

mikeirwin

Quote from: 3kgthog on October 20, 2005, 10:43:41 am
But, like Arkansas, Texas Tech will never win a conference championship or a national title. The system and the weak conference can only take you so far. Ask Houston and BYU.
I don't agree at all. The  longer Leach has been there they better they've been. Some of you are no naming here. That is, if the school doesn't have a rep they can't possibly be very good.
If Leach stays at Tech the Red Raiders will win the Big 12 a year or two down the road. Wait and see.
BTW Tech has a much bigger fan base and much better facilities that UH.

Adam Stokes

Poor BYU.  I love BYU, they're my second favorite team behind Arkansas.  I hope to attend college there because I like the atmosphere.  Teams like BYU, Boise State, TCU, Utah, and other teams have to (or have) switch conferences because they will never get to the national championship game no matter how good they are.  TCU switched conferences which will help them, but I think BYU and Utah need to join the Pac-10.  Utah had a great shot at the Title last year with Alex Smith, and won their BCS Bowl Game.  BYU won a share of the National Championship in the 80's because there was no BCS.

Who's up for a playoff?

AJS15Swada

sooie dog

But, like Arkansas, Texas Tech will never win a conference championship or a national title. The system and the weak conference can only take you so far. Ask Houston and BYU.

If they were to beat tejas Saturday you might have to eat those words.  I get so sick of hearing we can't.  Hell, Nutt had us at 8-0.  We all know how well he can coach.

wacohog

I believe that Leach is a much better coach than what we have here. I've asked before(and not been answered) what exactly are people refering to when they say Leach is " not a good fit for Ark)

Is there some flaw I don't know about? I'd really like to know.

Rich

silvertip

I agree Tech's succes will be temporary because it is a product of Leach's high powered passing game.

Tech and Arkansas are similar in that they can both usually expect to be out-manned talent-wise by the top schools in their conference.

The difference is that Leach knows you have to use the passing game to have a chance to compete under those conditions. That's why Leach's offense can play above their talent level, but their defense struggles with the same out-manned level of talent. I don't know of anyone who has yet devised a defensive scheme that can rise above more talented opponents, as the passing game can on offense

Once Leach moves on, I think Tech will decline to their talent level. Unless they find another coach who runs a similar offense.

WILL CLINTON

What happened is that Tech realizes that we are in 2005, not 1955, and the forward pass is not only legal, but a necessary part of the game, a necessary "evil" if you will. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

hogsanity

Quote from: dubyacee on October 20, 2005, 11:56:02 am
What happened is that Tech realizes that we are in 2005, not 1955, and the forward pass is not only legal, but a necessary part of the game, a necessary "evil" if you will.

Will someone please tell the vast majority of Ark HS FB coaches that please.

Also, TT will be temporary because it is the coach and the system.  And, someone will hire him away from TT.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

junkyardhog

Quote from: ajs15razorman on October 20, 2005, 11:10:04 am
Poor BYU. I love BYU, they're my second favorite team behind Arkansas. I hope to attend college there because I like the atmosphere. Teams like BYU, Boise State, TCU, Utah, and other teams have to (or have) switch conferences because they will never get to the national championship game no matter how good they are. TCU switched conferences which will help them, but I think BYU and Utah need to join the Pac-10. Utah had a great shot at the Title last year with Alex Smith, and won their BCS Bowl Game. BYU won a share of the National Championship in the 80's because there was no BCS.

Who's up for a playoff?

AJS15Swada

Are you a member?

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: counsellorhog on October 20, 2005, 09:40:05 am
Just felt the need to point this out. Texas Tech used to be one of those games in the old SWC we would mark down as a win before the season. My how far we've come...

Why? They got Leech we got Nutt, nuff said.  They will always be better than us if the two coaches remain the same,

Anti-OtisII

Quote from: JJHog on October 20, 2005, 09:55:46 am

Kind of like HDN's success as head coach in his first two seasons when those were the only 2 years for the Razorbacks to finish in the final Top 25 poll.  TT's biggest obstacle is that they play in the Big XII South with Texas, OU, and aTm.  If they could play in the North Div. then they would have an even better chance.  Of course, they can hope that they get to the Big XII championship game by finishing in a 3 way tie for 2nd place and that 1st place team is ineligible because of NCAA sanctions.  That is what it took for us to play in the SEC Championship game in 2002.

CorningHog

I get a kick out of some people who continually whine and complain about the Hogs not needing to be in the SEC.

I for one would probably lose interest by a large margin if Arkansas started going back to play Texas Tech, Baylor, A&M, Iowa St, Kansas, K St, etc.....

How many of you actually think the solution to our losing games is that we are in the wrong conference?

I think it is stupid and lame to point to the SEC as our problem.  Our problem is coaching and the ability to recruit, teach and bring a solid team on the field to compete.  A new coach with new assistants that want to prove themselves would be a step in the right direction.  I think one or two young coaches, as well as a Butch Davis, Mike Leach, etc...would like the chance too.
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

kremlinhog

i would lose interest fast if we moved to the big twelve, but i dont assume we would be much better there.
nutt is not only a sorry coach but he is snakebitten with horrible luck, ie the pass we had intercepted last week but managed to let the
reciever take it from him, not that made any difference in the outcome, just appears he is very unlucky also.i

kuhog

Unfortunately, we would be mediocre in any large conference this year. However, we would be more competitive this year in the Big -12, than the SEC. I still don't believe we would be a top 4 team in a down Big-12 conference. Maybe a top 6 would be expected. Teams within the Big-12 that are clearly better than us are: Texas, and Texas Tech. Teams that have shown they are better: Nebraska, Texas A&M, and Colorado. Teams that Arkansas compare to (in terms of athleticism & experience) are: K-State, Iowa State, and maybe Oklahoma.

DukeOfPork

This thread is a complete waste.  Let me correct a few points made thus far:

1.  Butch Davis will not take the UA job so just drop it.

2.  Houston Nutt is not "unlucky".

3.  We are not equal to OU.  OU is mediocre this year; we are awful.

corndo

Quote from: CorningHog on October 20, 2005, 01:28:46 pm
I get a kick out of some people who continually whine and complain about the Hogs not needing to be in the SEC.

I for one would probably lose interest by a large margin if Arkansas started going back to play Texas Tech, Baylor, A&M, Iowa St, Kansas, K St, etc.....

How many of you actually think the solution to our losing games is that we are in the wrong conference?

I think it is stupid and lame to point to the SEC as our problem. Our problem is coaching and the ability to recruit, teach and bring a solid team on the field to compete. A new coach with new assistants that want to prove themselves would be a step in the right direction. I think one or two young coaches, as well as a Butch Davis, Mike Leach, etc...would like the chance too.

Well said, couldn't agree more.

Inigo Montoya

Since when did we become even mediocre this year.  We suck!!! But still... GO HOGS!!!

Nutt_Hate_Me

October 20, 2005, 04:32:24 pm #22 Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 09:27:03 pm by Nutt_Hate_Me
Quote from: mikeirwin on October 20, 2005, 11:01:42 am
I don't agree at all. The  longer Leach has been there they better they've been. Some of you are no naming here. That is, if the school doesn't have a rep they can't possibly be very good.
If Leach stays at Tech the Red Raiders will win the Big 12 a year or two down the road. Wait and see.
BTW Tech has a much bigger fan base and much better facilities that UH.

Irwin reminds me of Red Foreman.  Always standing by with a good "Dumb A$$".  Like Red, Irwin is wise and ready to guide the young hemp smoking punks down the road of the straight and narrow.  Irwin's just more diplomatic.  Come to think of it Bo kind of reminds me of Fez.

It's great to be home.

Ark Blitz

Quote from: CorningHog on October 20, 2005, 01:28:46 pm

I think it is stupid and lame to point to the SEC as our problem. Our problem is coaching and the ability to recruit, teach and bring a solid team on the field to compete. A new coach with new assistants that want to prove themselves would be a step in the right direction. I think one or two young coaches, as well as a Butch Davis, Mike Leach, etc...would like the chance too.

I agree...it is not the SEC that makes us suck.

Boner

Quote from: ruzzman3 on October 20, 2005, 10:36:58 am
they have been to a bowl the past 3 years and smoked cal last year. they have 2 great quaterbacks waiting in the wings

That is the scary thing most people around here don't know about.  All the QB's who have been running things the last few years weren't highly recruited.  They actually have guys coming up that were. 

Also, their recruiting as a whole has picked up tremendously over the last few years.  The system has proved to be more than a gimmick.  With the influx of new talent, Leach is able to put talented guys on BOTH sides of the ball instead of just on offense.  Each year their defense is getting better and they've been able to land some decent defensive recruits the last few years.

This program has certainly passed us (pun intended) and they show no signs of coming back down soon.  The only thing that will slow them down is if A&M gets back to where they should be and OU will be back.

Boner

And you want me to really piss you off?

Mike Leach was an outstanding OC at Kentucky and later OU.  He then left to be HC coach at Texas Tech.  So what does this offensive genius do?  Does he hire an offensive coordinator?  Hell no.  He hires TWO.

Kind of like his old boss, Bob Stoops, who although is a defensive wiz, always keeps TWO defensive coordinators on his staff.

Those guys don't know anything.  Think of all the power they're giving up.

MajorHog

the Tech comparison hurts only because it is true.

whatever the reason for Tech's success there is no doubt they are having it in spades, are nationally ranked and have a real chance to make some waves Saturday.

wouldn't it be great if we could do that some year?  maybe catch a year where there is really only one other great team in our division, that team (say LSU) is ranked #2 in the country, we get to go down there and knock them off, gain national prominence and go to a big bowl?

Leach and his gimmick offense can be kicked around all you want - but he's getting to do it while we sit home and watch our team go further down the drain.  right now I'll bet it's a lot more fun to be a Red Raider fan than to be a Razorback fan! 

if he beats Texas Saturday it'll be a lot of fun to go to a BCS bowlgame too, won't it?  more fun that Hog fans will never know under HDN...
You will salute these Hog Clusters, Mister!

Hate'em?  Tell'em so!

www.HornHater.com - an official sponsor of Hogville.net

Boner

Thye have a very good chance of going to a BCS game even if they lose.  They're currently #7 in the BCS.  Losing to #2 isn't going to hurt them that badly.  If they win out, they'll be one of a handful of teams with a great chance to be an at-large pick.