Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

QB(s) this Saturday...

Started by Swino, October 19, 2005, 08:56:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JDW

Quote from: jblack19 on October 20, 2005, 12:45:47 am
Quote from: mikeirwin on October 19, 2005, 09:53:17 pm
Nutt has plenty of problems but some of you guys would blame him if a meteor hit Fayetteville tomorrow.
I blame him for not realizing that Robert Johnson doesn't handle pressure well. It was obvious last year that he had a problem with it. Why not go out and recruit a juco QB last year? He bet the farm that RJ would magically get a lot better this year. He didn't and the result is another losing season.
Some of you would have the rest of us believe that RJ is really a very good player but Nutt has made him bad.
I'm not buying it.
Nutt didn't make RJ bounce a five yard pass at Hillis' feet the other night. He didn't make the ball mysteriously fall out of his hand in the shadow of Auburn's goal line. When it comes to quarterbacking a football team some guys have it and some don't. I'm not saying that Johnson might not suddenly snap out of this funk. I've seen it happen before with other players. But I wouldn't bet the farm on it.
Good post. I totally agree. I just hope whomever QB's on Sat can handle the pressure.

Mike,

I heard your show the other day when you talked about interviewing Clint Stoner and his turn around at the LSU game. It can be done by anyone if and when they get their head right and in the game.

mikeirwin

Yes it can happen. But those are two really different situations. Clint was running a wide open spread offense and was being asked to do some pretty complicated stuff for a first time starter at QB. This offense is so plain vanilla it's hard to understand how Johnson can make so many mistakes if he really is a talented QB. It's possible if they stick with him he could suddenly get over the jitters and settle down but if I were HDN and my butt was on the line I'd make a change.

JDW

October 20, 2005, 10:54:54 am #102 Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 10:57:33 am by JDW

I agree. Maybe I said it wrong. I think the point I was trying to make is that a turn around can happen by anyone if they can get their head in the game. Being that we mainly throw short passes I don't think RJ can get his head in the game when it matters. Open WR's are not being hit therefore his mechanics of head & hands just aint happening. I may be off, and if so tell me, but that's what I'm getting.

PennHOG

Quote from: Feralhog on October 19, 2005, 09:14:14 am
Why do we go through this crap every year?  How is it that issues witnessed by Realtors, plumbers, electricians, mechanics, pharmicists, students, yada yada, you know the every day fan, how is it fans are able to sit in the stands and identify blatant friken FUNDAMENTAL weaknesses and the coaches can't?

It has to be our coaches either  do not address funamental problems, are clueless in how to address, or fail to  recognize a  problem exists?  It has to be one of the above!  We all friken see it and sit helplessly as we watch the team play half their friken games before these GLARING FRIKEN PROBLEMS ARE FRIKEN ADDRESSED! Usually by the coach kicking a kid to the curb. 

Below is portions of a message that I posted immedialy following the SMS game.  The mistakes by Johnson as witnessed by me back then, obviously have not been addressed. 

MJ is another example of this.  It was obvious to anyone that in Matt's freshmen year, he had very poor technique carrying the ball.  What was our solution?  Try and keep Matt from taking off.   

Nutt's approach to coaching is to figure out a way to avoid the problem.  Everything about this man is Mickey Mouse! 

You know I always wondered why MJ couldn't be taught how to protect the football.  But then I never played football so I don't know how hard it is to run and protect the football.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

GrizzledHogFan

Quote from: Razorback0918 on October 19, 2005, 09:32:16 pm
Is casey dick gonna start this saturday? If he is, how stupid could Nutt be to let an inexpereinced QB to start on the road against the best team in the SEC. By the way cabot Hog, that Donald Trump thingy is hilarious

Why not?  Robert Johnson certainly isn't the answer.
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

razorback4life

Quote from: clew on October 20, 2005, 08:56:18 am
when we called time out with 3rd and 20 from our own 10, I told the guy next to me that the next play better be stupendous for wasting that time out when (at the time) I thought it could be critical for our chances to win. I guess it was pretty stupendous. Stupendously stupid. you just DO NOT make that throw. Throw the ball away and punt for crying out loud.

The part about that play that really pissed me off is it was an obvious passing down and we take a time out on 3rd and 20.  I am thinking to myself, "Ok Nutt has to be able to pull out a play that we can get a WR the ball."  They come back out on the field after the time out and they line up with 2.....2 friggin receivers  on an obvious passing down.  I was so mad that I started screaming at Nutt and Markuson before the play was even over.  What a joke, but I guess it could have been worse.  THey could have run the draw.  ::)

The_Bionic_Pig

October 20, 2005, 12:55:55 pm #106 Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 01:15:11 pm by Woo_Pig_Stewie
depending upon who is hot between he and Robert Johnson during the game will probably remain the starter the remainder of that particular game.  I also would like to inform you guys/gals that Robert Johnson position at QB was not his best position in High School. (Kinda like Reggie Fish at Mesquite until he got hurt)   He was a freaking stud at WR.  I know from watching him during the TEXAS All-STAR game he would be the 2nd best WR behind Marcus Monk on the current roster.

Robert can easily convert to WR and be just fine which would give us some much needed elbow room at the QB position next season with the arrival of Mitchell Mustain.  Especially if we are going to be persue-ing Ryan Mallet , Nathan Dick, Kodi Burns in 2006. 

For the one's worried about putting a Freshman QB in a hostile enviroment halfway through the season I think once you see him he will remind you of Barry Lunney Jr. in 1992 @ Neyland Stadium 100,000+ Orange Fans.   Except Casey is far more elusive but will stay in the pocket until the last possible second unlike Robert Johnson who will rely more on his feet.

All in all I look for Arkansas fans to be pleasently suprized with this freshman, not saying we will win but we will see a much needed improvement in the passing game compared to last weeks dismall performance. 

Stewie Out ;)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

junkyardhog

Still sounds like RJ will get the start. And knowing HDN, will be to afraid to commit to the actual game plan.

It's funny how Stewie has more insight than HDN. I kind of like the idea of RJ at WR. Is he tall enough? Bring Dick in and let Mort and Barthel play mop up.

jtnhogs

I don't think I remember seeing Lunney play in Leyland stadium...  Remind me where that one is again.  ;)

Special Delivery Jones

Lunney as a 17 year old freshman got his first start and led the Hogs to an upset over the Vols.

The_Bionic_Pig

October 20, 2005, 01:11:28 pm #110 Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 01:13:06 pm by Woo_Pig_Stewie
Quote from: jtnhogs on October 20, 2005, 01:03:46 pm
I don't think I remember seeing Lunney play in Leyland stadium... Remind me where that one is again. ;)

Hmm I think 25-24 upset at Neyland Stadium In 1992 on a Todd Wright field goal in the final seconds.  Tennessee was #4 Ranked Team at that time.[/b]
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

TulsaHawg

Quote from: not ray on October 20, 2005, 01:10:40 pm
Lunney as a 17 year old freshman got his first start and led the Hogs to an upset over the Vols.

I think JT's point was that the game did not occur at "Leyland" Stadium.

TulsaHawg

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on October 20, 2005, 12:55:55 pm
depending upon who is hot between he and Robert Johnson during the game will probably remain the starter the remainder of that particular game. I also would like to inform you guys/gals that Robert Johnson position at QB was not his best position in High School. (Kinda like Reggie Fish at Mesquite until he got hurt) He was a freaking stud at WR. I know from watching him during the TEXAS All-STAR game he would be the 2nd best WR behind Marcus Monk on the current roster.

Robert can easily convert to WR and be just fine which would give us some much needed elbow room at the QB position next season with the arrival of Mitchell Mustain. Especially if we are going to be persue-ing Ryan Mallet , Nathan Dick, Kodi Burns in 2006.

For the one's worried about putting a Freshman QB in a hostile enviroment halfway through the season I think once you see him he will remind you of Barry Lunney Jr. in 1992 @ Leyland Stadium 100,000+ Orange Fans. Except Casey is far more elusive but will stay in the pocket until the last possible second unlike Robert Johnson who will rely more on his feet.

All in all I look for Arkansas fans to be pleasently suprized with this freshman, not saying we will win but we will see a much needed improvement in the passing game compared to last weeks dismall performance.

Stewie Out ;)

Hey Woo, where are you getting your insights for this Saturday's game?

JDHogg

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on October 20, 2005, 01:11:28 pm
Quote from: jtnhogs on October 20, 2005, 01:03:46 pm
I don't think I remember seeing Lunney play in Leyland stadium... Remind me where that one is again. ;)

Hmm I think 25-24 upset at Neyland Stadium In 1992 on a Todd Wright field goal in the final seconds.  Tennessee was #4 Ranked Team at that time.[/b]

Yes it was.  I laid hands on the TV and intervened with the Almighty while Todd gunned it through!!
"That's why you want something a little different", says Nutt entering his 9th season on the hill.
"You look at Florida last year," Nutt says.  "They struggled with their offense because of change...overhaul change.  Change is hard."

Quoted from August 2006 Hootens's Arkansas Football.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: TulsaHawg on October 20, 2005, 01:13:06 pm
Quote from: not ray on October 20, 2005, 01:10:40 pm

I think JT's point was that the game did not occur at "Leyland" Stadium.

Ooops didn't catch that... :-\ feel kinda "duhh" right now  :D Thanks for the correction.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

toshortrock

should he start this week,,yes or no?

i say why not,,hell yeah,,give him a shot :razorback:
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

HogPsych

No, he doesn't even have serious practice experience.  True, he can't really play much worse than RJ, but I say exhaust options of Mort and Barthel 1st. 

JDHogg

Quote from: Since 1894 on October 19, 2005, 05:25:07 pm
Good Luck to Mr. Dick and Mr. Nutt!!

Can you hear it now?:  JP commentator:  I understand 'Nutt' has made some changes at QB this week.  'Johnson' had a control issue and he hopes 'Dick' will stay in the pocket and not force anything.
"That's why you want something a little different", says Nutt entering his 9th season on the hill.
"You look at Florida last year," Nutt says.  "They struggled with their offense because of change...overhaul change.  Change is hard."

Cajun Hog

Quote from: HogPsych on October 20, 2005, 01:47:08 pm
No, he doesn't even have serious practice experience. True, he can't really play much worse than RJ, but I say exhaust options of Mort and Barthel 1st.

Robert will start on Saturday   ::)   :-[and Casey is the back-up  >:(.  If Casey doesn't play this week, he will stay redshirted.    :razorback:

PennHOG

Quote from: JDHogg on October 20, 2005, 02:15:31 pm
'Dick' will stay in the pocket and not force anything.

Heh heh Hm he hm.  He said "Dick".
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

JDHogg

Quote from: PennHOG on October 20, 2005, 02:26:16 pm

Heh heh Hm he hm. He said "Dick".

I said "nutt" and "Johnson", too. heh heh

JDHogg

October 20, 2005, 02:48:57 pm #121 Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 02:50:49 pm by JDHogg
Quote from: JDHogg on October 20, 2005, 02:29:54 pm
Quote from: PennHOG on October 20, 2005, 02:26:16 pm

Heh heh Hm he hm. He said "Dick".

I said "nutt" and "Johnson", too. heh heh

Okay, last one:

JP commentator:
"Looks like 'Nutt' is pulling 'Johnson' and is going to insert 'Dick'".  This is aDizzy Dean classic waiting to happen.

Special Delivery Jones

I have had the opportunity to speak with Lunney quite a few times.  My brother is on staff with him at Bentonville.  He has told the story about how it felt to walk out on the field as a 17 year in front of that many people.  Just absolutely intense. 

jabohog

All this QB switching crap will probably wind up being the fodder for firing Wittke at the end of the season. This may just be the beginning of the end for our current QB coach.
If there is a change, I hope it is Casey.