Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Players playing out of position

Started by davehog, October 19, 2005, 03:02:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

davehog

A lot has been made about players playing out of position.  This thing of moving players from where they were recruited to play in to new positions is bad for team morale and recruiting.  I agree that SOME players should be moved for the right reasons, but I think we have had too many players move, and I would bet more than a few of them are really upset about it. And, for the most part, you can deduct that the player moves are for overcoming recruiting/evaluation mistakes of the coaches, not on the players themselves.  Here is a list of the players, in order of most out of position, that I think. 
1. Anthony Brown-we are short on WRs no deep threat and this guy was a 2nd team all Juco WR.  Had the best spring of all the WRs.  Two 6'6" WRs on the field at the same time might cause some matchup problems.
2. Jamaal Anderson-Am I the only one who thinks he would be a great TE at 6'6" 262, can run, played WR in HS
3. Michael Tate-TN wanted him as a DE.  They have had some decent success with their recruiting evaluations in the past, and wow, we are short on DEs. What a coincidence!!!!!
4. Desmond Williams-now this one I don't get.  He was recruited at S, but is buried on the depth chart.  I might move this guy to LB to help with our depth there.  He was a highly rated recruit, I thought for sure he would be in the 2 deep.
5. Jeremy Harrell-if RH won't play him for whatever reason, move his to Guard, worked for Chase Pressley
6. Bledsoe-after watching him get pancaked (not even double-teamed) over and over last Saturday, I think he should try out for kicker or punter.  Guess TN missed on their eval of this guy. 
7. Wes Murphy-this guy is too slow to play TE, but the TE in this offense is just a OT anyway
8. Marcus Shavers-was a 5 star DE out of Texas.  And again, we are short on DEs.   He burned his redshirt for a few snaps on the DL.  Amazing, just amazing
9. Marcus Harrison-maybe, maybe not.  He was a DT in HS. 
10. Michael Coe-he just isn't an SEC CB
11. Zach Snider-maybe, maybe not.  I think speed is the #1 thing for LBs and maybe this guy isn't that fast
12. Robert Felton-this guy is a Guard and not a Tackle. But who would play RT if it wasn't him?
Are there any more that I left out? Thoughts, opinions?

Illinihog

Harrison should be playing DE.  No questions asked.  One thing I disagree with Reggie on is you have to have some fat asses in at the DT spot in the SEC.  Look at Alabama, their front 2 should have wide load signs on their asses.  This isn't a knock on them but you have to have someone who has some girth to clog the running lanes...That is something Harrell and Jackson do.   Harrison is one hell of a pass rusher and should be on the End.  Dont' know why he was moved but whatever.  As far as some of the others I agree with you on majority of them.  Some of the new guys I don't know to much about because I haven't seen them as much.  Felton is a great O-Line man, playing out of position. 

CarolinaHog1176

I think you've made good points on some of the players, but in all actuality who's to say that reggie herring doesn't know what he's doing?  apparently he had more talent to work with at NC State last year than he does this year, but isn't the example of a good coach one who can adapt to the players that they currently have instead of stubbornly running your system without your kind of players?  even though it didn't work out very well last year, Wommack switched from a 4-3 to a 4-2-5 to help out our inexperienced DB's (also because we didn't have very good LB depth).  he was working with what he had.

herring is a good coach... no doubt.  he's definitely what we needed here at arkansas... a hard nosed coach who doesn't take darn from nobody.  we're just young and not very good right now on defense.  I understand the speed DE's because if you can force everything back inside then you've got the rest of your team there to clean it up, but I don't really get the "280" rule for our DT's.  yea, they can move better and in theory should be able to play longer, but when you get no run support from the DE's, don't you need a couple of pluggers inside to eat up as much of the OL as possible?  Harrison is 300 I think, but everybody else is 260-280 (again, I think).  and you're right, there's no need for Shavers to be playing DT this year.  if he's going to be a DT in the future, that's great, but he's a 260 DE fresh out of high school playing inside against 330.  I guess burning his redshirt year is more valuable than giving F. Bledsoe PT when he doesn't deserve it
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

silvertip

Well, I wonder if Herring has had to learn a few things about making so many changes so fast.

He might need to learn that an Arkansas O-line is not a good test for evaluating a pass-rusher. Herring was downright giddy last spring about A Brown's sacking skills. He had 0.5 in 6 games vs o-lines in actual games. Meanwhile, we're told we're in need of WRs. After last season, I felt good about our returning DEs Harrison & Anderson. I count the moves of Harrison & A Brown as a bust & the entire D-line a disappointment.

I may not have this quite right, but I think Herring also was not happy with 'Butu & Clarke Moore as LBs. Tried to move Moore to DE? Well, I think he was wrong on those 2 as well.

We all like Herring's attitude. I wonder about all his player evaluations. I expected an improved D this year & so far I don't see it.   

ki285

robert johnson is playing out of position.. i dont know what he should be playin but it sure as hell aint qb

Flatline

Quote from: ki285 on October 19, 2005, 06:37:30 pm
robert johnson is playing out of position.. i dont know what he should be playin but it sure as hell aint qb

Move him to LB.  Why not, they move everyone else.

razorburn

robert johnson is playing out of position.. i dont know what he should be playin but it sure as hell aint qb....  JUST SPEWED MY DRINK ALL OVER THE SCREEN!  LOL

PIGINAPOKE

Robert Jonhnson should play the blues.. it is in stone
The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

Kevin

the only move i question is harrison. he was an all-freshman sec de. leave him there, he may make plays there.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Wess Moore

Apparently, Houston and staff believe at least two of your players are out of position.  Fred Bledsoe and Jeremy Harrell were moved to OL today.  I've got a call in to Bledsoe to see what he thinks.  I'll pass it along.

RebelHawg

Harrison is too slow for DE....Does anyone rememeber the LSU game last year when even the TV anouncers said he was too slow.