Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where are these new assistants going to come from?

Started by ThisTeetsTaken, October 18, 2005, 06:09:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ThisTeetsTaken

Since it is widely accepted that HDN is going to fire some assistants this year, answer me these questions.
  1. Where would HDN pull any quality assistants from?
  2. Why would any quality assistant want to work for a potentially lame-duck head coach who just canned assistants to save his own ass?
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

DevilHog

One of the new assistants is a local HS coach. One is a GA on the staff right now. There are many other possibilities, most of which will shake out after the season ends.
Coaches have to go to work if there is a staff change where they are, and they have a tendency to move around as assistants. Arkansas is an SEC school so many people would be interested if it was a move up. Say from a smaller school.

WilsonHog

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: DevilHog on October 18, 2005, 06:21:35 pm
One of the new assistants is a local HS coach. One is a GA on the staff right now. There are many other possibilities, most of which will shake out after the season ends.
Coaches have to go to work if there is a staff change where they are, and they have a tendency to move around as assistants. Arkansas is an SEC school so many people would be interested if it was a move up. Say from a smaller school.
Who is this GA you're referring to?
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

DevilHog

James Aurthur. He came with Herring from N.C. State. He functions as Herring's right hand man so to speak.

lumphog

Quote from: Thehammer on October 18, 2005, 07:03:46 pm
Quote from: DevilHog on October 18, 2005, 06:21:35 pm

Herring would probably do the hiring of his guys on defense. He's has some connections in the NFL and could possibly persuade some coaches from NC State to join him.

On offense; I think Malazan is a sure bet. Other than that, I'm stumped. I guess Nutt could ask for Broyles to make some calls and talk to different people like Lacefield, former assistants Joe Gibbs, Barry Switzer etc. I'm not sure I would just leave all the hiring to Nutt. We could get more of the same.
A-men to that!

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: John Wesley Hardin on October 18, 2005, 07:22:36 pm
Aren't there any Junior High Schools in Arkansas? ;D ;D ;D

Funny.................................................................................ass

lol

Oklahawg

There are some mid-major assistants who do really great teaching/coaching. Charlie Stubbs is the QB coach at Tulsa and he gets rave reviews weekly in the paper. He has taken a green QB in Paul Smith and made him look all-conference. Tulsa would beat OU today--just like in September--IF Adrian Peterson doesn't come back from a bum ankle. Tulsa might beat Arkansas, the same way Vandy did--outscoring us at the end.

I realize that Malzahn might get first shot at QB coach if that position opens but a guy like Stubbs is worth the consideration.

Pluck a coach away from Fresno State or Bowling Green, places where they make half what they'd make at UA.

Better find assistants who (a) knows Texas like the back of his hand; (b) knows Louisiana like the back of his hand; and/or (c) know Atlanta and Alabama like the back of their hand. Vaughn's territory? Houston. Allen's territory? Texas and Oklahoma. Ealy's territory? Louisiana and East Texas. Markuson's territory? Atlanta. Rocker's territory? West Georgia and East Alabama.

We are getting ready to purge our "contacts" in our most vital recruiting areas. Danny Nutt's work as a recruiter is the easiest gig of the bunch--recruiting in-state. Easy? No, but the easiest when you compare them.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

silvertip

There's never any shortage of good Acs every winter. All these guys "network" & Ark wouldn't have to worry about filling slots.

mikeirwin

They will zero in on aggressive young coaches who want to become head coaches. I can guarantee you that Malzahn is not coming to Arkansas to become a career assistant coach. Within a few years he'll be a head coach somewhere. There are coaches on Nutt's staff who have turned down opportunites to become head coaches.  JFB is out to change that. He doesn't want anyone who's out to get "comfortable." 

Swino

QuoteWhere are these new assistants going to come from?

From wherever the new coach brings them.

Jim Harris

Quote from: mikeirwin on October 20, 2005, 02:55:22 pm
They will zero in on aggressive young coaches who want to become head coaches. I can guarantee you that Malzahn is not coming to Arkansas to become a career assistant coach. Within a few years he'll be a head coach somewhere. There are coaches on Nutt's staff who have turned down opportunites to become head coaches.  JFB is out to change that. He doesn't want anyone who's out to get "comfortable."

one problem there, though, is that the three on Nutt's staff who have gone on to be head coaches went to dead-end jobs and lasted 2-3  years before the programs were even worse than when they arrived. That doesn't call out to many assistants, "Hey, work here at Arkansas and you can get a good head coaching job."
Broyles, on the other hand, sent his assistants on to be head caoches at Okahoma, Tennessee, Iowa State, Virginia Tech, Clemson, Vanderbilt (when it wasn't totally dead end), N.C. State, Georgia Tech, etc., etc. That sort of success begat more success. But Broyles' first staff was pretty much lifers as assistants. He found some good office jobs.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Cajun Hog

Quote from: WiilsonHog on October 18, 2005, 06:28:00 pm
I wonder how many constitutes "some"?

Three on Offense and two on Defense, with a outside chance of a fourth on offense.

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: mikeirwin on October 20, 2005, 02:55:22 pm

At what level did the coaches turn down jobs?  I believe you, but I find it hard to believe that any D1 school would offer any of those clowns a job.

bigt54

I think Gus should be WR coach.  If you watch his teams that is what makes them so special.  His recievers run very disciplined routes and are always where they are supposed to be. 
Also we should go after a proven OC that could end up being the next HC like Jimbo Fisher.  Tiger fans love him and many thought he got riped out of the HC position.  He seems to do well destroying our D's, oh wait who is Vandy's OC.
"I was not the best cause I killed quickly, I was the best because the crowd loved me."