Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Observations from Sr Camp

Started by The Galloping Ghost, July 19, 2009, 10:33:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jdevers

I would be fine with that.  I REALLY like our offensive staff, but I personally think some of the defensive staff could be improved.  Caldwell is used to being in a situation where the staff recruits nationally as that is what TN has done for years.
I would rather give the current staff another year though, last year would have sucked no matter who was coaching.  This year there should be significant improvement in execution (middle of the SEC or so, we won't ever have the FL defense...) for everyone to be kept. 

Oliverhogman

Quote from: jdevers on July 20, 2009, 10:34:30 am
I would be fine with that.  I REALLY like our offensive staff, but I personally think some of the defensive staff could be improved.  Caldwell is used to being in a situation where the staff recruits nationally as that is what TN has done for years.
I would rather give the current staff another year though, last year would have sucked no matter who was coaching.  This year there should be significant improvement in execution (middle of the SEC or so, we won't ever have the FL defense...) for everyone to be kept. 

Are you saying if we are in the middle of the SEC on defense that you would be ok with the defensive coaches alll be kept? WHY would we NEVER have the Florida defense? 

prodigalhawg

I believe it was Jeremiah Jackson (new DT commit from Spain Park, AL) who said that Bobby Allen was a large reason why he committed to Arkansas.  As his position coach,  Allen was the one that showed Jackson and his family around campus, and they were very impressed with him. 

I'd say Bobby is earning his keep, great QB for a son or no.

razorback44

Any big time WR's at the camp? 
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

TX HOG

Quote from: razorback44 on July 20, 2009, 01:51:09 pm
Any big time WR's at the camp? 

Marcus Lucas big 4 star kid from Missouri.  He was hanging with Cobi and Wingo

Hogs12

Quote from: prodigalhawg on July 20, 2009, 01:06:22 pm
I believe it was Jeremiah Jackson (new DT commit from Spain Park, AL) who said that Bobby Allen was a large reason why he committed to Arkansas.  As his position coach,  Allen was the one that showed Jackson and his family around campus, and they were very impressed with him. 

I'd say Bobby is earning his keep, great QB for a son or no.
I know his mentioned Coach Allen. I believe he also said that Coach Johnson had a big impact in why he committed to Arkansas.

Oliverhogman

Possibly because Coach Johnson is the one that recruited him.  Bobby showed him around campus.  Who do you think should get the credit?

jdevers

July 20, 2009, 02:09:10 pm #107 Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 02:19:54 pm by jdevers
Quote from: Oliverhogman on July 20, 2009, 12:02:16 pm
Are you saying if we are in the middle of the SEC on defense that you would be ok with the defensive coaches alll be kept? WHY would we NEVER have the Florida defense? 

Not permanently,but this year, yea I would be happy with that.  Last year we completely sucked and were dead last in most categories.  To go from last to middle is a big jump in one year, we aren't talking about basketball where some 18 year old kid can step on the court and instantly take you from worst to first.  We have a lot of talent coming in, especially in the secondary, but most schools in the SEC have been getting top 10 ranked secondary classes for YEARS.  We can't overcome that overnight. 

Florida's defense this year has the potential to be one of the most devastating weapons ever wielded in college football.  They have massive quantities of instate talent to pick from in addition to a huge amount of national exposure over the last 10 years.  We could in theory get to this level, but it will not happen within the next 10 years.  We all jump all over kids from FL that don't even have offers from Florida, until our entire 3 deep is 4 star or better kids we just WON'T have this kind of defense.  I like blind ambition as much as the next person, but a bit of perspective is in order.  Rome wasn't built in a day, a football team just doesn't go from 5-7 with multiple close wins to national championship caliber in a year.

I think our best shot at winning a national championship will come from having a top 20 defense and a top 5 offense, that is much more attainable with our coaching staff than vice versa. 

Think about this, Nick Sabin will NEVER have a top 5 offense but will eventually have a top 5 defense.  We have an offensive minded HC, we will succeed on O before D.  The only programs in the country that ever really have the ability to be top 5 in BOTH categories are teams with HUGE recruiting advantages, think USC, Texas, and Florida.  That is about it, even those teams are very unlikely to do it.

Oklahawg

I cleaned some of the garbage out of the thread.

Let's enjoy a (generally) great thread about what appears to be a successful camp.

Go piss and moan elsewhere.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

keithh1999

Quote from: Oklahawg on July 21, 2009, 01:22:12 am
I cleaned some of the garbage out of the thread.

Let's enjoy a (generally) great thread about what appears to be a successful camp.

Go piss and moan elsewhere.

thank you. It is actually readable again.
Pig Farmers are cool.

razorback44

Quote from: TX HOG on July 20, 2009, 01:52:02 pm
Marcus Lucas big 4 star kid from Missouri.  He was hanging with Cobi and Wingo

How are we looking with him?
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: jdevers on July 20, 2009, 02:09:10 pm
Not permanently,but this year, yea I would be happy with that.  Last year we completely sucked and were dead last in most categories.  To go from last to middle is a big jump in one year, we aren't talking about basketball where some 18 year old kid can step on the court and instantly take you from worst to first.  We have a lot of talent coming in, especially in the secondary, but most schools in the SEC have been getting top 10 ranked secondary classes for YEARS.  We can't overcome that overnight. 

Florida's defense this year has the potential to be one of the most devastating weapons ever wielded in college football.  They have massive quantities of instate talent to pick from in addition to a huge amount of national exposure over the last 10 years.  We could in theory get to this level, but it will not happen within the next 10 years.  We all jump all over kids from FL that don't even have offers from Florida, until our entire 3 deep is 4 star or better kids we just WON'T have this kind of defense.  I like blind ambition as much as the next person, but a bit of perspective is in order.  Rome wasn't built in a day, a football team just doesn't go from 5-7 with multiple close wins to national championship caliber in a year.

I think our best shot at winning a national championship will come from having a top 20 defense and a top 5 offense, that is much more attainable with our coaching staff than vice versa. 

Think about this, Nick Sabin will NEVER have a top 5 offense but will eventually have a top 5 defense.  We have an offensive minded HC, we will succeed on O before D.  The only programs in the country that ever really have the ability to be top 5 in BOTH categories are teams with HUGE recruiting advantages, think USC, Texas, and Florida.  That is about it, even those teams are very unlikely to do it.

+1 for being realistic without the negativity.

prodigalhawg

Quote from: Hogs12 on July 20, 2009, 01:54:57 pm
I know his mentioned Coach Allen. I believe he also said that Coach Johnson had a big impact in why he committed to Arkansas.

You are right, but I am just trying to show that Coach Allen is a valuable asset.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/adg/261942

Jackson, 6-2, 265, 5.0 seconds in the 40-yard dash, chose Arkansas over Auburn, Mississippi and eight or nine others. Jackson left Fayetteville with his family Saturday morning and said he did so feeling good about his commitment after spending Friday visiting the University of Arkansas.

"The campus is big, but not too big to get around," Jackson said. "The studentteacher ratio was something I liked."

Jackson said linebackers coach Reggie Johnson was an effective tour guide but defensive tackles coach Bobby Allen was even more persuasive.

"The visit was going great, but when I met with Coach Allen that sealed the deal," Jackson said.

AirForceHog

Hey everyone one contributing to this thread. Thanks for keeping us out of staters in the loop. I have really enjoyed reading about the camp and possible recruits. Thanks.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.