Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aubrey Phillips...remember him?

Started by Music City Hog, July 15, 2009, 05:06:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Music City Hog

I havent looked for a link because I am about to walk out the door, but I just got this text from my old boss who is a big FSU booster and always in the know of FSU sports:

"Aubrey Phillips already leaving FSU.  Showed up overweight, had trouble keeping up in workouts, and is bailing.  Maybe u get him after all."

Like I said, havent checked into the written story yet, but thought maybe some of you would want an update on a guy we were all clamoring for a few months ago.  Who knows, maybe he can get his act together and end up on the Hogs line at some point in the future. 

DoubleJ

No more room at the Inn I'm afraid.

The Hog

This kid was looking for the free stuff without any effort.
Automatic RUN!

Table Rocker

farmhawg

Quote from: Music City Hog on July 15, 2009, 05:06:51 pm
I havent looked for a link because I am about to walk out the door, but I just got this text from my old boss who is a big FSU booster and always in the know of FSU sports:

"Aubrey Phillips already leaving FSU.  Showed up overweight, had trouble keeping up in workouts, and is bailing.  Maybe u get him after all."

Like I said, havent checked into the written story yet, but thought maybe some of you would want an update on a guy we were all clamoring for a few months ago.  Who knows, maybe he can get his act together and end up on the Hogs line at some point in the future. 
He wouldn't make it a day here.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Seebs

I am so proud of the attitudes of most Hog Fans now - I believe a few years ago we'd all be clamoring 'we Have to have this stud!'

The bar has been raised indeed.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Music City Hog

I know not many people really care, but just to make it offical and so I didnt put out an unsubstantiated piece of info.  Here is the link:

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2009/jul/16/former-ut-commit-phillips-leaves-florida-state/

The Boar War

July 16, 2009, 02:10:53 pm #7 Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 03:38:03 pm by The Boar War
Quote from: Music City Hog on July 15, 2009, 05:06:51 pm

pedrothelion

Supposedly there is a high probability of him going AR.

hogdiggity

FWIW, it is reported on a site we can't mention by name here that he is already talking to our coaches.

Music City Hog

Quote from: pedrothelion on July 16, 2009, 02:14:36 pm
Supposedly there is a high probability of him going AR.

where did u hear that?  Id only want him if he were to seriously get his butt in gear and if he would play on the DL.

Conway Cool Daddy

Good chance he'll be a Hog.

I'm hoping he comes, I know we were on hm hard up until signing day.

Plus, we'll get a foot in the door at Olive Branch.

pedrothelion

Quote from: Music City Hog on July 16, 2009, 02:17:21 pm

where did u hear that?  Id only want him if he were to seriously get his butt in gear and if he would play on the DL.
A site that can't be named has a poster who I believe is coach at Olive Branch who is saying that he is 70% to AR and has already talked to the coaches.  Apparently Saban is also in the picture.  Supposedly he has been released from his LOI and will not need to RS.

beansandtaters

Quote from: pedrothelion on July 16, 2009, 02:19:38 pm
A site that can't be named has a poster who I believe is coach at Olive Branch who is saying that he is 70% to AR and has already talked to the coaches.  Apparently Saban is also in the picture.  Supposedly he has been released from his LOI and will not need to RS.

Despite his reporting overweight, this kid would be a good get. There was some discussion over him playing DT or OT and a season in our weightroom could make him a great pair with DD Jones for years to come. Come on home Aubrey !!!!

Music City Hog

July 16, 2009, 02:22:17 pm #14 Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 06:05:28 pm by Music City Hog

b

Music City Hog

Is there even a schollie from this past class available?

pedrothelion

Quote from: beansandtaters on July 16, 2009, 02:21:19 pm
Despite his reporting overweight, this kid would be a good get. There was some discussion over him playing DT or OT and a season in our weightroom could make him a great pair with DD Jones for years to come. Come on home Aubrey !!!!
I wonder if any of the talk about him being overweight/out of shape was FSU spin as they knew that he would be leaving the program.  Regardless he has to know that things aren't going to be any easier for him at AR.

Also, I think they are looking to use the sholie that John Henderson(I think that was his name) would have had.

Kenny Hawgins

this would be a good get even if he did show up out of shape.  with a redshirt year, veltkamp would have him in good shape and it could do nothing but help us at a school that's putting out d1 players every year.
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

Theolesnort

Our coaches will probably want him because it lets them get a foot in the door of a high school that churns out blue chippers.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

gohogsgo006

Quote from: rzrbaks on July 16, 2009, 02:25:32 pm

He's not a coach at OB but has proved extensive knowledge of the recruitment of these kids.

Newbie, you should delete the url/link.... not supposed to bring another hog fourms info to this board (at least so bluntly)  FYI
Hogville- Where realism somehow equals pessimism

Olive_Branch_Hog

Quote from: Music City Hog on July 16, 2009, 02:17:21 pm

Why are negative comments about potential recruits allowed on this site?

LaidOutHog

A 6'6" 340lb DT sounds good to me!!    :razorback:

hawgsmellgud

Quote from: Olive_Branch_Hog on July 16, 2009, 02:51:49 pm

+1 by the way, but man you will get used to it, everybody here is a coach. I know I will get smited for this but it is what it is.
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

Music City Hog

That isnt a negative comment.  I think if he gets in here and works hard he could be a stud on the DL.  Id love for him to do just that in a hog uni.

rzrbaks

Quote from: gohogsgo006 on July 16, 2009, 02:50:43 pm
Newbie, you should delete the url/link.... not supposed to bring another hog fourms info to this board (at least so bluntly)  FYI

Oh, I guess only if you dont cite them its ok....

HawgAdvocate

You should come to the Jump Ball forum sometime. A few of the regular posters crap all over our coaches' recruiting and our newest players without giving it a second thought (or reasoning as to why their opinions have any validity whatsoever).
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Music City Hog

Im gonna defend myself here.   I wanted Phillips the first time and I want him again this time.  I think he could come be a great Hog.  However, there are printed news reports as to why he isnt going to FSU.  Are we suppose to just ignore the news or pretend like it doesn't exist?  I should be able to make a comment about a confirmed reason without it being "negative comments about recruits".  I dont have a history of negative comments about recruits at all.  I want the kid, but the fact is if he didnt report overweight then he wouldn't even be available to the Hogs.

He has HUGE potential.  Let's go get him and make him a fixture on the Hogs line, preferably D line!

gohogsgo006

Quote from: rzrbaks on July 16, 2009, 03:13:41 pm
Oh, I guess only if you dont cite them its ok....

well you're not a newbie, but Mods dont like you to spread other forums info here and link the cite, it is bad for business

Conway Cool Daddy

Yeah, it would be a shame for information to be shared bewteen sites without somebody being a jack ass.

I never realized there was a competition going on.

As for Phillips, calling him an overweight quitter that needs to go to Ole Miss is really over the line.

rzrbaks

Phillips would help with the other guys at the school, OB is one school that doesnt like Ole Miss.

El Puerco

The Boar War

July 16, 2009, 03:37:00 pm #31 Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 03:50:58 pm by The Boar War
Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on July 16, 2009, 03:30:17 pm

As for Phillips, calling him an overweight quitter that needs to go to Ole Miss is really over the line.

Good point.  I'll take it down.  It was meant as a joke towards Ole Miss but when it's put that way it looks bad.

SquidBilly

If we have the scholarship available in this class then why not bring him onboard.  If he works out then we got a good lineman for years to come, if he doesn't then it opens up a scholarship for a transfer, a walk, or that can be used next year.  I really don't see where we have anything to lose by taking a shot with him.

DoubleJ

Are we going to have a schollie open?

The Boar War

Quote from: DoubleJ on July 16, 2009, 04:58:40 pm
Are we going to have a schollie open?

I think Caleb Evans took the John Henderson scholarship but I don't think we've used Khiry Battle's yet.

Country Stylz

I'll have the 6'6 340 pound 4star lineman if you don't mind. Thnxs. Make it happen BP!

rzrbaks

Quote from: The Boar War on July 16, 2009, 05:00:40 pm
I think Caleb Evans took the John Henderson scholarship but I don't think we've used Khiry Battle's yet.

Not the 85 rule to worry about its the 25 in one class.

Tomhog™

I'm not going to police the forum so that any mention of RT outlawed entirely.  Personally, I don't have a problem with that.  It is the link to the site (use of tinyurl to sneak it in) and starting threads over other sites that I try to police.  It is just the obvious plugs of other boards that I tend to eliminate (i.e. - posting that another site scoops it when it was already scooped by Mr. Davenport)

OKhogfan1959

Hey Olive Branch I want that kid badly!!! He's a monster and we would love for him to be a Hog!!

Don't let a couple of bad apples or one have any bearing on things.

Wildhog

I haven't seen any negative comments about the kid...
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

HgH

COCHISE

beansandtaters

gohogsgo006

beansandtaters

Quote from: gohogsgo006 on July 17, 2009, 09:10:21 am
ya, he's huge

sure would be nice to have that size in the middle of the D-line

Bubba's Bruisers

July 17, 2009, 09:19:36 am #45 Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 10:33:43 am by Bubba's Bruisers
If he's supposedly home sick, why would he even want to come to UA assuming BP wanted him?

Also, what would be his status with the NCAA?  Would he lose any eligibility by transferring to UA?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Hollywood_HOGan45

Guys, we have a chance to get ANOTHER 4* out of state lineman! Arkansas fans need to accept him with open arms, you know why?

We are coming off a 5-7 season in which we got rocked by all the national title contenders!!!!!!!
We havent had a national title since the 60s!!!! Players like Phillips can help us dominate the SEC at some point in the future!!!

I remember 4* Michael Grant fell into our lap in the summer of 04 and he helped us tremendously.

I hope our coaches accept him and help him get into shape. PLayers like these can only help this football program get back in the picture.

Holy City Hog

Grant was an entirely different situation. Admissions policies kept him from enrolling at UGa. UGa staff wanted Grant & he wanted to be there, outcome was out of their control so Richt facilitated Grant's move to UA.

Phillips left FSU based on his experience during "voluntary" workouts with strength coach. He was not motivated to stay & FSU is apparently ok with releasing him unconditionally.

Lot of young OL's battle off-season weight issues, Shawn Andrews comes to mind. Conditioning/talent is not the issue.

jdevers

Possibly him seeing that he is required to do the same off season workouts here as at FSU will make him see reality.

Razorod

best thing for phillips may be not to show up until August and then simply take a redshirt year to get acclimated to life away from home in college and the workouts that go along with D1 football. It doesn't appear that he is ready to contribute to any team this year anyway, plus it would give the coaches a year to sort out whether he's a better suited for d-line or o-line without being in any particular rush.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.