Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dyer to decide before start of school ....

Started by Philip Seaton, July 13, 2009, 01:00:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog on the Hill

Quote from: sickboy1138.2 on July 14, 2009, 02:59:39 am
You act like Arkansas is the Harvard of the South. It's not even a top 100 school. I mean, Auburn and Oklahoma are both higher ranked Universities according to USAToday. LSU only trails us by a few spots. 

Don't get me wrong, I love the Hogs and all...but overall it's an average state school. 
Has nothing to do with academics if you are an Arkansas kid playing at Arkansas... like hawgsmellgud said, if you are from Arkansas and you play at UA, then you are set for life in the state of Arkansas.  Everyone will want to hire you.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: nutted on July 13, 2009, 09:20:45 pm
I just dont see the appeal of Auburn for a kid from Arkansas right now.

BP is the best coach the hogs have had in 30 years....you can't say that about Chizik.

Its the Auburn RB Coach & the former Arkansas Asst. Coach that are pulling him in that direction... (Not Chizik)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

oldman1015

Quote from: hawgsmellgud on July 14, 2009, 07:12:10 am

Connections, its all about connections for the hometown (state) guy. If he goes to LSU and gets hurt he will be an afterthought. If he plays a season at AR, but god forbid, he suffers a career ending injury he will have plenty of connections to make a good living within the state.
exactly the point i was going to make. he will be guaranteed a great job after football in the state of arkansas. i also like the part about a coach who cares for him as a person. you won't find a nicer man than tim horton.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

Corkscrew Johnson

Going to Auburn to play for GM is a mistake. 

No way Gus is there for more than 3 years, he's on the short list of OCs for head coaching positions.  Given that Dyer will be a high school senior for the first year of that tenure, that gives him (at most), 2 years with Gus.  More than likely, 1.  That's like following your high school girlfriend to college, only to find that she's been dating half the fraternity, and youre left behind holding hands with Gene Chizik 

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on July 14, 2009, 09:23:36 am
Going to Auburn to play for GM is a mistake. 

No way Gus is there for more than 3 years, he's on the short list of OCs for head coaching positions.  Given that Dyer will be a high school senior for the first year of that tenure, that gives him (at most), 2 years with Gus.  More than likely, 1.  That's like following your high school girlfriend to college, only to find that she's been dating half the fraternity, and youre left behind holding hands with Gene Chizik 
lol well you're assuming he's successful at auburn.  the other possibility is that gus isn't successful which wouldn't work out so well for md either.  either way, it's a losing situation.
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

SEdrhawg

July 14, 2009, 10:25:51 am #56 Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 10:33:25 am by SEdrhawg
You act like Arkansas is the Harvard of the South. It's not even a top 100 school. I mean, Auburn and Oklahoma are both higher ranked Universities according to USAToday. LSU only trails us by a few spots. 

Don't get me wrong, I love the Hogs and all...but overall it's an average state school.

Exactly.... Auburn is a better academic school than U of A.  If academics are his main concern, I think Auburn wins this battle.

Auburn = #96
Oklahoma = #108
Arkansas = #125
LSU = #130

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/college/national-search

Porkette

That all depends on your major and a lot of other factors. In reality, educational "quality" varies enormously within every school. It simply depends on each individual class and professor, and which school offers a degree program in your major.
GO HOGS GO!

The Hogfather

Quote from: SEdrhawg on July 14, 2009, 10:25:51 am
Exactly.... Auburn is a better academic school than U of A.  If academics are his main concern, I think Auburn wins this battle.

Auburn = #96
Oklahoma = #108
Arkansas = #125
LSU = #130

You guys are missing the point.........................................................

farmhawg

If he wants to go to the NFL, then the decision is easy. He would come here because of our style of offense. If there were 2 equally talented players being drafted the NFL would choose the one that had experience in a pro-style offense every time. They are better prepared and will catch on quicker.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

donewithdale

Auburn = #96
Oklahoma = #108
Arkansas = #125
LSU = #130

There is little difference in the colleges you listed.

Stanford wins if it is based on academics.  If he hasn't visited there, he really should.  The campus is great as well as the academics.  He would have plenty of opportunities by going there and he would grow as a person from experiencing something much different than Arkansas.  The drawbacks would be it is a very different place from the South.  I like the people and the weather but it is different.  Their football following is also very different than what it is in the South.  If he is wanting a big time football atmosphere then it wouldn't be the right place. 

Cajun Hog

Auburn = #96
Oklahoma = #108
Arkansas = #125
LSU = #130

BS...... Every school is known for something ie: business school, engineering or something else.  It all depends on what the major is to find the best fit.

donewithdale

Quote from: The Hogfather on July 14, 2009, 10:42:19 am
You guys are missing the point.........................................................

He is just a Wal-Mart t shirt fan who didn't attend the UA but finds it easy to put down the UA.

wholehog92

Quote from: Triple P on July 14, 2009, 11:08:29 am
BS...... Every school is known for something ie: business school, engineering or something else.  It all depends on what the major is to find the best fit.

We were a top 50 grad program in engineering when I was there and a top 100 undergrad program.  Just 4 years ago.  When you looked at just state schools, we were very impressive, though I don't remember specifics.  Our business school is very well regarded.  I have a minor in Business so I see what that does as well.

Like most have said, getting a job is about who you know and name recognition.  Not much better name recognition than playing football for the hogs in the state.  If you are basing solely on academics, Stanford wins of those mentioned.  If a person has an out of state degree, and in front of me for a job and his qualifications were equal to a guy with a U of A degree, I'm hiring the U of A guy.  High school football stars included.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

TX HOG

Quote from: NolanForAD on July 14, 2009, 12:34:04 am
If Chizik steals the best player out of Arkansas, I'll run around my block naked.

For me a Razorback fan I hope he chooses Arkansas. 

For your neighbors I hope he chooses Arkansas.

keithh1999

Quote from: TX HOG on July 14, 2009, 11:30:43 am
For me a Razorback fan I hope he chooses Arkansas. 

For your neighbors I hope he chooses Arkansas.

LOL- DITTO!!!
Pig Farmers are cool.

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: Kenny Hawgins on July 14, 2009, 10:03:30 am
lol well you're assuming he's successful at auburn.  the other possibility is that gus isn't successful which wouldn't work out so well for md either.  either way, it's a losing situation.

I agree.  If Frank was ultimately right, and the spread offense gets grounded by SEC defenses, GM (and especially Chizik) won't last 2 years.  Their fanbase has a short leash with the Chizik experiment.  Regardless...lose-lose if Dyer is going to Auburn to play for Gus

pigs rule

Quote from: jdevers on July 13, 2009, 02:27:24 pm
The list was alphabetical, even to the point of putting Ar in front of Au.
Hmmm...Oklahoma in front of Notre Dame??? Kinda dispels the alphabetical sorting theory, huh?
Regardless, I really hope he stays home and plays for the Hogs!

LJHOG

Overall might be average.  But, the Walton School of Business is top notch.  One of only 5 contacted by CNBC to provide a stock recommendation during their business school highlight week.

sickboy

Quote from: Hog on the Hill on July 14, 2009, 08:43:58 am
Has nothing to do with academics if you are an Arkansas kid playing at Arkansas... like hawgsmellgud said, if you are from Arkansas and you play at UA, then you are set for life in the state of Arkansas.  Everyone will want to hire you.

You don't think that if Michael Dyer goes to Stanford or Notre Dame that he's not going to be able to find a job through connections he's made there? 

sickboy

Quote from: LJHOG on July 14, 2009, 12:58:24 pm
Overall might be average.  But, the Walton School of Business is top notch.  One of only 5 contacted by CNBC to provide a stock recommendation during their business school highlight week.

Agreed. The value of your degree at most public colleges in America depends greatly on what College you study in at that University.  Arkansas no doubt has a great business school and engineering program right?  They used to have great architectural programs from what I can remember. 

wholehog92

Quote from: sickboy1138.2 on July 14, 2009, 02:46:37 pm
Agreed. The value of your degree at most public colleges in America depends greatly on what College you study in at that University.  Arkansas no doubt has a great business school and engineering program right?  They used to have great architectural programs from what I can remember. 
As an engineer, I hate to give any credit to the archis, but the program is well regarded to those in the know.  Not sure of actual ranking.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

wholehog92

Quote from: sickboy1138.2 on July 14, 2009, 02:44:52 pm
You don't think that if Michael Dyer goes to Stanford or Notre Dame that he's not going to be able to find a job through connections he's made there?  

Like I said:

Quote from: wholehog92 on July 14, 2009, 11:29:22 am
Like most have said, getting a job is about who you know and name recognition.  Not much better name recognition than playing football for the hogs in the state.  If you are basing solely on academics, Stanford wins of those mentioned.  If a person has an out of state degree, and in front of me for a job and his qualifications were equal to a guy with a U of A degree, I'm hiring the U of A guy.  High school football stars included.

Wildhog

Commitment switches are epic on NSD...on ESPN.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

pigzwillrise

Quote from: sickboy1138.2 on July 14, 2009, 02:46:37 pm
IMO it would rank: 1.engineering, 2. architecture, 3. business... in that order.. and if it werent for the walton family the business program would probably be average at best... i never thought academia was taken very serious at the UofA outside of a few departments (at least compared to the other SEC schools)

pigzwillrise

Quote from: sickboy1138.2 on July 14, 2009, 02:44:52 pm

dyer should be focused on making his living on sundays and occasional mondays.... but yes as a fall back plan, if he goes to arkansas he will always have a job waiting for him in arkansas (its pretty much a given... look at all past razorbacks who didnt make the pros)

The_Bionic_Pig

July 14, 2009, 07:17:31 pm #76 Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 07:20:11 pm by Woo_Pig_Stewie
All I can say is don't get your hopes up... Its becoming quite obvious that Michael is enamored with the Auburn coaching staff and if any decision is made anytime soon before he watches both teams perform on the field that he will be a Auburn verbal. 

On the other hand I think Auburn will have to Outscore teams this season to beat them on the field.  Muschamp is no longer their but they have what may appear to be a soft early schedule on paper before they play Arkansas. 

Sept. 5, 2009   Louisiana Tech          
Sept. 12, 2009   Miss. State          
Sept. 19, 2009   West Virginia          
Sept. 26, 2009   Ball State          
Oct. 3, 2009   at Tennessee   

But Mississippi State is the weakness team of the above.  Louisiana Tech finished 2nd in the WAC only behind Boise St. and won their bowl game.  West Virginia may not have Pat White but they still a very dangerous team as is Ball St. (Turner Gill) finished 12-1 regular season.   Tennessee's Monte Kiffin is as much of a Defensive Genius as we think Petrino is a Offensive Genius.

They could easily enter the Arkansas game 1-3 w/ embarrassing losses.

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Clint Alan

If something does happen before the season not in our favor, I just hope this board doesn't go on the defensive, and remembers that there are still 7 months,& a full football season left until NSD....
"It isn't hard to be good from time to time in sports. What's tough is being good every day." - Willie Mays

heathtits

I say he commits to Auburn, but naturally I'd love to be wrong.

stchane

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on July 14, 2009, 07:17:31 pm
West Virginia may not have Pat White but they still a very dangerous team as is Ball St. (Turner Gill) finished 12-1 regular season.   

Turner Gill finished 12-1 at Buffalo last year.  However, Ball State did have a very good year behind Nate Davis, who got drafted I think by Tampa Bay.  I doubt they'll be able to challenge Auburn next year. 
For all your Razorback Football Needs: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=stchane

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: stchane on July 14, 2009, 07:35:26 pm
Turner Gill finished 12-1 at Buffalo last year.  However, Ball State did have a very good year behind Nate Davis, who got drafted I think by Tampa Bay.  I doubt they'll be able to challenge Auburn next year. 

Good Catch.... I sometimes have these "dumb attacks" not to worry I am taking medication for it stchane  ;)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

WilsonHog

If the young man's heart is at Auburn (and none of us knows that), then that is where he needs to go.

Each of us only gets one college experience.

heathtits

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 14, 2009, 08:01:00 pm
Each of us only gets one college experience.

Except for Alex Mortenson. He's had about 10 by now hasn't he?

Kilgor

Quote from: pigzwillrise on July 14, 2009, 07:05:30 pm
IMO it would rank: 1.engineering, 2. architecture, 3. business... in that order.. and if it werent for the walton family the business program would probably be average at best... i never thought academia was taken very serious at the UofA outside of a few departments (at least compared to the other SEC schools)

U of A has the #1 ranked Poultry Science program in the country.
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

yraciv

Quote from: nutted on July 13, 2009, 09:20:45 pm
I just dont see the appeal of Auburn for a kid from Arkansas right now.

BP is the best coach the hogs have had in 30 years....you can't say that about Chizik.

It clearly is Gus Malzahn's offense, which is similar to what Dyer runs in high school.  I do feel Chizik will bring the program down, but the name Malzahn automatically generates interest in his home state.

ml2200

To anyone who may know, does having his friends and family at every home game watching him play matter?  Just wondering, I would want my family to be able to be at every game.  Is that something his family will do no matter where he plays? Thanks in advance.

RT1941

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on July 14, 2009, 12:02:24 pm
I agree.  If Frank was ultimately right, and the spread offense gets grounded by SEC defenses, GM (and especially Chizik) won't last 2 years.  Their fanbase has a short leash with the Chizik experiment.  Regardless...lose-lose if Dyer is going to Auburn to play for Gus

I agree  100%.  GM is a good OC, but Chizit has PROVEN that he is a horrible HC.  He ran an already bad program further into the ground at ISU.  He is HORRIBLE at game management and has no idea how to run a football program.  He lost to Kent St for crying out loud. 

Dyer is smart, he should be able to see through the AU smoke screens.  Regardless of what Gus is telling him, everyone in the country knows that Petrino is head and shoulders above Chizik as a HC.  Dyer will make the right decision. 
RazorTusk!!!!

The Hogfather

Quote from: yraciv on July 15, 2009, 09:43:33 am
It clearly is Gus Malzahn's offense, which is similar to what Dyer runs in high school.  I do feel Chizik will bring the program down, but the name Malzahn automatically generates interest in his home state.

What he doesn't need, if he wants to get to the NFL (and get drafted as highly as possible, when the time comes) is an extension of high school football.  If he wants to learn, in college, what it takes to play RB in the NFL, he should/would choose Arkansas.  If he wants to play in an offense that he doesn't have to learn anything new, he should choose Auburn.  Well, that, and if he wants to lose to Arkansas for 3 or 4 straight years and play for a HC who will go 5-19 and then get fired, he should choose Auburn.  Not to mention the fact that Malzahn will jump at the first chance to become a D1 head coach, leaving everyone high and dry.

Yeah, sounds really appealing...

R-VilleHog

Quote from: Kilgor on July 15, 2009, 09:00:38 am
U of A has the #1 ranked Poultry Science program in the country.

My level of surprise on that is zero.  thanx though, i didn't know it was true.

UltimateHog

Quote from: cityhog on January 14, 2012, 04:48:21 pm
I'll honestly be shocked if CMA ever goes above .500 in conference play as coach here.

Porkahontas

Christ, it's a good 8 months until national signing day. He may commit to Auburn early but when AU limps into a 4-8 season while Petrino takes the Hogs to a NYE or NYD bowl game, he'll be pulling the switch-a-roo.

Dyer will likely end up with the Razorbacks. It's much too early to sweat it on this kid.

Anyways, if we miss out on him, it wouldn't be the end of the world. We're stacked at RB and I'm confident Petrino can go out and land another high caliber RB like Wingo or Kniles Davis.

Iwastherein1969

I'm sick of the daily fretting over Michael Dyer ..roll on down to the Cow College and be the big fish in a little pond...as far as begging ANYONE to play for the HOGS, those days are long since past with the arrival of one Bob Petrino
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

UltimateHog

When Auburn goes 5-7 or 4-8 and the fire Chizik rumors pop up all over that fan base, Dyer will eliminate Aubie.
Quote from: cityhog on January 14, 2012, 04:48:21 pm
I'll honestly be shocked if CMA ever goes above .500 in conference play as coach here.

Fisticuffs

He seems like the kind of guy that doesnt sly away from competition. But if we end up having 2 or 3 studs at runningback by the end of the year then maybe he will go out of state. As of now, I think hes a Hog and wants to be one and he will be successful where ever he goes so we need to keep him here.