Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dyer to decide before start of school ....

Started by Philip Seaton, July 13, 2009, 01:00:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Bionic_Pig

16 seconds before you posted this I mentioned it at the bottom of  this post...lol click me
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

The Hogfather

Sounds like he's going to make a well informed, well thought out decision.  I'll wish him luck if he ends up choosing somewhere other than Arkansas.  It would be hard to wish him too well if he ended up at Auburn or LSU.

Hog on the Hill

He's obviously a smart kid based on how he describes his decision-making process, and he wants to be a real student athlete (not just an athlete) based on his 3.5 GPA.  That just makes him that much better of a recruit.

I sure hope he decides to come to Arkansas.  I really see him becoming a great team leader by the time he's a junior or senior (if he stays his senior year).

But if he doesn't come here then I REALLY hope he goes to Notre Dame or Stanford... lol.

BigErn

I like that hw listed the UA first in his casual listing of possible scholls... I wish we were his #1 and others were trailing.

But I think he will be a Hog b/c Tim Horton is not only a good coach he is a great person. And I think that is what Dyer is looking for.

I believe that TH and Dyer's Uncle knew each other way before Dyer hit the news stands and obviously Dyer thinks a lot of his uncle... so there you go.

Hog on the Hill

Quote from: The Boar War on July 13, 2009, 01:10:17 pm
Stanford?
Even if Stanford isn't a great football school, you really can't go wrong with accepting a full scholarship to Stanford.  Michael seems to be a smart kid.

The Boar War

Quote from: Hog on the Hill on July 13, 2009, 01:11:45 pm
Even if Stanford isn't a great football school, you really can't go wrong with accepting a full scholarship to Stanford.  Michael seems to be a smart kid.

There's no doubt that Stanford's a great school.  I just hadn't heard it before. 

Michael could be a great back in Petrino's system.  I really hope he chooses us.

Country Stylz

July 13, 2009, 01:15:18 pm #10 Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 01:17:13 pm by Country Stylz
Good luck to him wherever he chooses to go. Hope it's Arkansas.

gohogsgo006

Let's do a why he will/wont be a hog:

WILL: Because he is an Arkansas boy, and wants to be the face of the turnaround of our program for the next 3-4 years

WON'T: Because someone has sweet talked him into being the "main" guy, whilst they are going after other "main guys"

I really hope he stays home, but if he doesnt, wish him best of luck.
Hogville- Where realism somehow equals pessimism

Zen_Hog

Hmm weird. Most on the boards said that the longer Dyer waited, the better our chances.

Hopefully this doesn't mean what I think it means. I do think he will be a Hog just because it makes the most sense.

h0gfan6

Quote from: BigErn on July 13, 2009, 01:10:25 pm
I like that hw listed the UA first in his casual listing of possible scholls... I wish we were his #1 and others were trailing.

But I think he will be a Hog b/c Tim Horton is not only a good coach he is a great person. And I think that is what Dyer is looking for.

I believe that TH and Dyer's Uncle knew each other way before Dyer hit the news stands and obviously Dyer thinks a lot of his uncle... so there you go.

I like this reasoning :D

gohogsgo006

Hogville- Where realism somehow equals pessimism

El Puerco

I'm guessing it won't be us...to start with at least.

COCHISE

July 13, 2009, 02:20:51 pm #16 Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 02:41:37 pm by 870 RZR
Dyer will be a Hog.  He predicted all this hoopla in an article several months ago.  Dyer said he was going to enjoy the recruiting process and pretty much said it was going to be a wild ride.  Does anyone have a link to the article, I think it was the same one in which he said that if the fans prayed hard enough good things would happen.

It was this interview..

http://nwahomepage.com/content/fulltextsports?cid=72071

"We don't have that many great players coming out of Arkansas so I want to make it a big deal."  "I want to make it a huge, huge deal"

Michael called it, if you believe him, he's doing all this to get Arkansas some publicity.

jdevers

Quote from: BigErn on July 13, 2009, 01:10:25 pm

The list was alphabetical, even to the point of putting Ar in front of Au.

DeuceHawg

The fact that he is making a choice before the season sounds good for us.  Even if he doesn't pick arkansas off the bat (he has had a lot of interest in other schools), you know we won't give up on him.  Plus, every friday night there will be fans wanting him to go to arkansas.  I think the sooner he makes a choice the better.  At least we will know where we stand.

DeuceHawg

Hey also he can wear arkansas stuff and still not pick us.  He can be a fan and still not think it is his best option.  Anyway, he's who I've had my eye on for about a year and a half now so I REALLY want him.  Get the signs ready!

stchane

If it does happen to be us, that means we have the best back in the nation recruiting for us for the next 6 months.  Players recruiting other players is more effective than than anything a coach can do, no matter who the coach is IMHO. 

Is there an article or thread (sorry, I'm being lazy) out there about the things he's had to go through to get to this point?  The article said he's overcome alot, but I haven't heard of any of that kind of stuff.
For all your Razorback Football Needs: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=stchane

hog_fan

What page was it on where it said he would decide before the season starts?

The Boar War

Quote from: jdevers on July 13, 2009, 02:27:24 pm
The list was alphabetical, even to the point of putting Ar in front of Au.

He also had Oklahoma in front of Notre Dame.  Personally I think we're putting too much emphasis on every statement. 

AnthroHog

Quote from: hog_fan on July 13, 2009, 02:45:59 pm
What page was it on where it said he would decide before the season starts?

It is on the third page.  The paragraph before the section "Well Versed".

hog19911

It's hard to root against Dyer regardless of what school he picks. It's obvious he is a very hard worker, and an exeptional talent. He could do miracles for us, but if not all you can do is wish him the best. It would suck to lose such an elite talent since so few come through Arkansas. But in the end he has to do what he believes is best for him.

RazorBassin

I have to say it would be an honor to see him in a Razorback uniform, but if he does decide to go elsewhere, I wish him the best of luck and hope it is not an SEC team.

Darren DeLoach

It seems things are favoring the folks on the Plain. Hope to be wrong. He is a kid with a good head on his shoulders, high moral standards, great family support, and a phenom on the field. Those are rare attributes to find in any young man, much less a rare talent like Dyer.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

The Boar War

Has MD talked about Auburn much recently (besides mentioning them in a list)?

COCHISE

I'm not concerned about Auburn, their limo riding assistants may be talking a good game to these kids, but once they witness this year's Gene Chizik coached Auburn team and compare that to Petrino's Hogs....that's going to be a much more powerful statement than anything they hear from an AU coach.

cypert2

As long as he picks the Hogs, I wish him well.
Swinging on the two and the four.

PorkSoda

Quote from: stchane on July 13, 2009, 02:43:30 pm
If it does happen to be us, that means we have the best back in the nation recruiting for us for the next 6 months.  Players recruiting other players is more effective than than anything a coach can do, no matter who the coach is IMHO. 

Is there an article or thread (sorry, I'm being lazy) out there about the things he's had to go through to get to this point?  The article said he's overcome alot, but I haven't heard of any of that kind of stuff.
effective but I wouldn't say more effective.  The coaches are the ones putting in 12 hour days to get these recruits.  but regardless I see your point.  Getting Dyer could really jump start the recruiting effort, and the dominos could start to fall pretty fast after that.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

stchane

Quote from: PorkSoda on July 13, 2009, 05:36:07 pm
effective but I wouldn't say more effective.  The coaches are the ones putting in 12 hour days to get these recruits.  but regardless I see your point.  Getting Dyer could really jump start the recruiting effort, and the dominos could start to fall pretty fast after that.

Exactly; but the coaches aren't putting 12 hours a day into 1 guy.  Recruits can do that... and for as long as they want without NCAA restrictions.  Its one thing for a coach to say something to a recruit, but its a whole different ballgame when you've got a recruit legitimizing something to another recruit when talking about a program.  They both have been there and seen that, so the potential commitment would probably take the commitment at his word when they talk (the commitment has credibility beyond what a coach might have). 
For all your Razorback Football Needs: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=stchane

hawgsav1

And they say recruits don't read message boards...
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

keithh1999

Since he says he reads message boards ...

Michael -- you know that The Razorbacks would love to have you.
The fans would love for you to be a Hog.
And you know that after playing at Arkansas, you can pretty much
write your own ticket here at home.

So why play anywhere else? PIG SOOOOOIE
Pig Farmers are cool.

TX HOG

Quote from: keithh1999 on July 13, 2009, 07:21:42 pm
Since he says he reads message boards ...

Michael -- you know that The Razorbacks would love to have you.
The fans would love for you to be a Hog.
And you know that after playing at Arkansas, you can pretty much
write your own ticket here at home.

So why play anywhere else? PIG SOOOOOIE

I'll second that...

HamShank

I've never understood this.  Why would recruits NOT read message boards??  If someone was posting something about YOU on the internet all the time and you had access to it, would you not look?

Zen_Hog

Quote from: HamShank on July 13, 2009, 07:37:09 pm
I've never understood this.  Why would recruits NOT read message boards??  If someone was posting something about YOU on the internet all the time and you had access to it, would you not look?

A lot of recruits read message boards, if not all.

heathtits

If we can get him to commit early that would be unbelievably huge for the rest of the class. Having a blue chipper like that gives us tons of momentum and boosts confidence for other guys on the fence.

BUTTT, my gut feeling tells me him committing this early won't necessarily be to us.

From what I hear, and just what my gut feels, I think Dyer commits to Auburn and then gauges how we continue to pursue him after that. This whole "handler" issue has me slightly concerned. But we obviously have just about every advantage leaning our way, so probability would suggest we will have a great shot all the way up until NSD.

Sounds bad, but these coaches have set precedents last year on getting guys to flip from other big time offers. The Adams, Hamilton and Winston recruitments makes me feel MUCH better about the entire situation. But from all of his interviews, Dyer seems quite level headed and doesn't strike me as the type who would get "scammed" into doing what he didn't feel was best for him.

So regardless of what he chooses, I really doubt it's going to come down to message boards, dirty recruiting or other "behind the scenes" stuff. Hopefully it is strictly coaching relationships, location comfort and suitability into whatever system is being offered.

Tomhog™

It's simple. To get to the next level, Petrino HAS to land the best in state to go with good out-of-state recruits. The Hogs need Dyer worse than Dyer needs the Hogs to be honest. I hope he isn't one that goes elsewhere, especially to a division rival. 

TheArkansasTraveller

Micheal, we wish you well if you pick the Hogs.  It looks like you're bound and determined to play in the SECW, that's fine.  BUT, don't expect us to wish you well if you choose to play for an Arkansas rival, because you will be trying to beat the Hogs.   Nothing personal. 

I'm sure you will make the right decision.

razorbackkid

July 13, 2009, 09:17:53 pm #40 Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 09:20:33 pm by razorbackid
Michael Dyer!  Stay home, be a Razorback, make ALL Razorback fans proud and enjoy the blessing that are sure to come. 

Go Hogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Tusks

I just dont see the appeal of Auburn for a kid from Arkansas right now.

BP is the best coach the hogs have had in 30 years....you can't say that about Chizik.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Love those Hogs

Michael Dyer is an awesome player and seems to be a good person and will pick who he feels the most comfortable.  Having said that, I hope he chooses to play at Arkansas and rewrite the record books at home.  He would be a hometown hero here, and just another "good player" elsewhere.  Stay home Michael and help the Hogs win an SEC title and a National Champoinship.
Hogs 4 Life!

Fisticuffs

I hope he chooses Arkansas he would be one of the greats

Fisticuffs

Quote from: nutted on July 13, 2009, 09:20:45 pm

BP is the best coach the hogs have had in 30 years....you can't say that about Chizik.
I agree

jgphillips3

Given the way recruits are today, even if he picks Arkansas I don't know if I will believe it until the ink dries.  That said, I hope he sees his future in Razorback red.

The Boar War

Quote from: nutted on July 13, 2009, 09:20:45 pm

I agree.  Even Auburn understands that and went after Petrino several times before deciding to settle for Chizick.  If it's Malzahn he's committing to, he should understand that Gus probably won't be there by the time his freshman year is over.  Nothing personal against Malzahn but he's an assistant coach looking for a head coaching job.

sickboy

Quote from: PorkOpine on July 13, 2009, 11:59:33 pm
Dyers education is presumably the most important aspect in his life considering he sports a 3.5 GPA.  He is not relying on potential NFL riches to make himself whole.  I think Michael understands the fact his football career could end tomorrow.

LSU, Auburn and Oklahoma wouldn't provide him with much outside the realm of football.  If he blew out a knee while attending any of those schools he would soon become an afterthought.  On the other hand, should Dyer opt to attend Arkansas and get a degree, there's a good chance he would be set for life regardless of injury.  

You act like Arkansas is the Harvard of the South. It's not even a top 100 school. I mean, Auburn and Oklahoma are both higher ranked Universities according to USAToday. LSU only trails us by a few spots. 

Don't get me wrong, I love the Hogs and all...but overall it's an average state school. 

hawgsmellgud

Quote from: sickboy1138.2 on July 14, 2009, 02:59:39 am
You act like Arkansas is the Harvard of the South. It's not even a top 100 school. I mean, Auburn and Oklahoma are both higher ranked Universities according to USAToday. LSU only trails us by a few spots. 

Don't get me wrong, I love the Hogs and all...but overall it's an average state school.

Connections, its all about connections for the hometown (state) guy. If he goes to LSU and gets hurt he will be an afterthought. If he plays a season at AR, but god forbid, he suffers a career ending injury he will have plenty of connections to make a good living within the state.
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

heathtits

Passing up instant celebrity status would be a tough call I would think. Sans exchange students and the "anti" football eclectic crowd, literally EVERYONE will know who Dyer is before he plays a down for the hogs.

At Auburn, OU, and LSU, to everyone but the football nuts, he'll just be another football player wearing that schools gear to class and around campus.