Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC pride vs. Big 12 pride

Started by Lanny, July 11, 2009, 07:16:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Slacker

I believe this guy nails it pretty well.

I've attended schools in both conferences, and been to just about every venue in both. It's tough to peg why there is more SEC pride than Big 12 pride, but there definitely is.

One thing is that football is of the highest importance to every school in the SEC. We have schools in the Big 12 that are just "whatever" about football.

Also every school in the SEC (except vandy) has competed for the conference crown at one point or another fairly recently. The Big 12 it would seem only has 2 schools that might actually win the conference.

Last and very important in my mind is tailgating. To SEC fans this is more sacred than baptism. It is something of great pride to ALL of them, and they all go and take their kids. Not 1 or 2 games a year, but at least 5 games a year every year no matter how long they have been out of school. They LOVE to tailgate and sometimes start on Thursday even if they are the away team. Big 12 schools just do not travel very well and tailgating is not nearly as important to Big 12 fans as it is to SEC fans.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Lanny on July 11, 2009, 07:16:07 am
Interesting thread on TexAgs.com Click Here

I think that in the Big 12, that pulling for another conference team thing, tends to be confined to state boundaries/loyalty for some reason. If KU and K-State are playing in bowl games or against OOC teams, I think most Kansas residents pull for the other state school. I believe the same can be said for Oklahoma and even Texas to some extent, though I think that Texas, A&M and Baylor all seem to hate Tech. You don't see this in Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado or Missouri because they are the lone Big 12 schools in their states. However, I do think that some Missouri and Nebraska fans, as well as some Texas and Oklahoma fans pull for each other at times. No one cares about Iowa and I am not sure they even care about themselves. Colorado seems to just hate everyone and from what I have seen, the feeling is mutual across that conference, regardless of who Colorado is playing.

There is no doubt that the conference loyalty across the board is not as great as it is in the SEC, unless a Big 12 team is playing a Pac 10 team.
Go Hogs Go!

Pa-Paw

Well, you don't hear them at the drop of a hat chanting "Big12-Big12-Big12".

usnavyhogfan

SEC pride trancends all sports. I was watching a fishing show today and a tournament was being held on lake Dardanelle. There was a guy from Alabama fishing and he said something along the lines of hoping we would have a successful day in Arkansas because " at least Arkansas is in the SEC."
The dream is free, the journey is not.

hogansas

I think a lot of that pride comes from the fact that all SEC schools understand what each other school in the conference has to face week in and week out.  When your every year schedule includes teams like Florida, LSU, Georgia, and Alabama who are consistantly in the top 10.  Not to mention, Arkanasas, Auburn, Tennessee, and South Carolina who are all in the top 20 consistantly.  Now, throw in Ole Miss who is contending.  Mississipppi State, Kentucky, and Vandy are all good for at least one big upset each per year.  What other conference has all these equations on this level.  Plus, the SEC teams don't run out and fill empty spots with dinky talent.  Heck, our OOC games have included USC, Texas, and now Texas A&M.  LSU had a series with Virginia Tech a couple of years ago.  Florida and Florida State is always a big time game.  Personally, I like to cheer for teams who don't shy away from competition rather than teams who try to manipulate the system by running through a weak conference and padding their schedules with wins to boost their BCS rankings.
"You can't trust every quote you read on the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 11, 2009, 07:58:50 am
Colorado seems to just hate everyone and from what I have seen, the feeling is mutual across that conference, regardless of who Colorado is playing.

Colorado seems to be a relocated group of folks from Cal and Utah.  They really don't fit the "Big 12" mode very well.  I say that based upon the number of Colorado folks I've known over the years.  Talking to them at times is like talking to Jeff Spicoli.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

Table Rocker

Sounds like El Agglos has an inferiority complex, or he's just mad that we left the SWC for greener pastures. Someone show that fool a link to the new ESPN deal the SEC just signed and the revenue it will bring to each conference school, THAT is why we are happy to be where we are.

Also tell him we're gonna beat their ass in October.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Table Rocker on July 11, 2009, 09:58:22 am
Sounds like El Agglos has an inferiority complex, or he's just mad that we left the SWC for greener pastures. Someone show that fool a link to the new ESPN deal the SEC just signed and the revenue it will bring to each conference school, THAT is why we are happy to be where we are.

Also tell him we're gonna beat their ass in October.

12.5 mil per year to each school for 15 years straight just insures that the rich get richer...and better. Better facilities, better everything which equates to greater exposure and still better recruiting. The SEC may be ahead now, but it is going to pull even further away as time goes by. I think A&M will be improved this year but not by the same percentage of improvement that we will be. I predict we hand them their heads and that they will be sorry that signed off on this deal in the long run.
Go Hogs Go!

Jborohog09

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 11, 2009, 07:58:50 am
I think that in the Big 12, that pulling for another conference team thing, tends to be confined to state boundaries/loyalty for some reason. If KU and K-State are playing in bowl games or against OOC teams, I think most Kansas residents pull for the other state school. I believe the same can be said for Oklahoma and even Texas to some extent, though I think that Texas, A&M and Baylor all seem to hate Tech. You don't see this in Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado or Missouri because they are the lone Big 12 schools in their states. However, I do think that some Missouri and Nebraska fans, as well as some Texas and Oklahoma fans pull for each other at times. No one cares about Iowa and I am not sure they even care about themselves. Colorado seems to just hate everyone and from what I have seen, the feeling is mutual across that conference, regardless of who Colorado is playing.

There is no doubt that the conference loyalty across the board is not as great as it is in the SEC, unless a Big 12 team is playing a Pac 10 team.

I agree, and I take it you meant Iowa State right?

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

Jabroni

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on July 11, 2009, 09:49:37 am
Colorado seems to be a relocated group of folks from Cal and Utah.  They really don't fit the "Big 12" mode very well.  I say that based upon the number of Colorado folks I've known over the years.  Talking to them at times is like talking to Jeff Spicoli.

I spent a week in March in Steamboat Springs, CO. Literally laughed out loud at that one. Thank you.

Nate-Hawg

When the other SEC schools look good we look good. How would Bama feel If we beat them this year but then lose to Texas A&M? When your conference is the best in the country then you can feel great about your conference wins and sort of justify your losses. This is why I cheer for my conference, pure selfishness.

Root66

That's why I can never understand in those "Which schools do you root against" threads, anybody, ANYBODY who is a fan of an SEC team listing any or all other SEC teams. People who do that are a little bit touched in the head and really don't have a clue.

Heck, I keep rooting for Texas, T-A&M, Baylor and Tech to dominate the Big XII just because we were members of the SWC not too many years ago. But when we meet one of them head to head, all feel-good crap is off and I hope we beat the living schit out of them.

Pa-Paw

You will not find too much conference pride in the B12. It's just too political. To some extent the B12 is split along the old Big8 and the B12 lines, the exceptions being OU and OSU which wound up in the B12 South. Nebraska, who at one time was a big dog, has diminished with the advent of the B12 and blames Texas in particular for their problems.  Nebraska's and the other B12 North teams lost their recruiting pipe lines into Texas when the conference was formed.  On the other hand OU and OSU have prospered.

NWASooner

It has more to do with culture than football.  The South has a culture that ties it all together and the SEC is a regionally exclusive conference.  The only exception is the state of Florida.  The farther South you get in Florida, the less Southern it is and the less amped they get about the SEC.

The Big 12, however, is spread across the Midwest and Texas.  Texans are pretty excited about being Texans but outside of that, no one really cares in Big 12 country.

The SEC chest beating has more to do with Southern pride and defiance than anything else.

ncnd

SRFL a known Hogville.net homer is over there stirring up crap. You guys point out Solomwi or RebelBruiser or Landshark well ladies and gentleman the 8th best educational college in the SEC has: SRFL

This is not rocket science. This thread has already nailed the answer IMO.

--"The South" us v them mentality
--Many bandwagon schools
--The teams are actually good
--The schools aren't that "academic" as a whole
--Old Conference
--Old rivalries
--Hot girls in stands(ok..a stretch, but it always bears repeating)

In terms of pure college football the SEC is the best conference.

Now you can argue that academic standards or other factors should be considered, but the fact of the matter is the SEC is how god intended college football to be. Great tailgating, hot women, passionate fanbase, good football.

-----------

--Many bandwagon schools
    --The teams are actually good
    --The schools aren't that "academic" as a whole

i disagree with these points

how are you defining bandwagon schools/fans?

we have good teams in the bigXII too. maybe not us- but ou/tu have proven they can play with the best. they do have bottom feeders in the SEC, too.

the academic line is a cop out. you know its BS when conference academics gets thrown around when we have ou and tech staring us in the face. conference academics is a big10 line- lets let them keep it

------------
SRFL

You guys consistently revert back to lame academic arguments every chance you get.

Fact is, the SEC has 3 schools ranked higher than Agy and each would BTSO of your football team.

Vandy
Florida
UGA

Bama, Tenner, Aubbie and Arkansas are all within sight of your rankings as well (and all ahead of some B12 schools).

What's the deal? Why can't a football argument simply be about football with you guys? You'll get your chance to chant B12 B12 B12 in October...or will you hear SEC SEC SEC? Prove something then and we'll talk more about where YOU fit into the conference arguments.

-----------------
notice how wrong he is The academic knock at the SEC is tired and flat wrong.
Going by US News

Vandy 18, FL 49, UGA 58, Bama 83, Auburn 96, South Car 108, Tenn 108, UK 116

UT 47, A&M 64, Baylor 76, CU 77, ISU 89, KU 89, Neb 89, Mizzou 96

Notice Arkansas is not in those rankings at all
---------------

The SEC fans truly hate each other. Drive through the SEC any time of the year and turn on the local sports talk radio shows. 365 days a year, it's a bunch of gap toothed retards spewing smack & venom about the gap toothed retards who follow the other 10 schools (Vandy excluded from the retard count). LSU may be the worst, but there are plenty of examples of vile fan behavior from Arkansas, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, etc.

BTW, alot of that applies to Big 10 fans as well. Bunch of *******s with different accents.

---------------------------

ncnd

an actual fan posted this
posted 7:32a, 07/10/09this user's public profilesend private message to useredit this replyobject to this reply

quote:UT and A&M need to come over to the dark side of the SEC. We'll get rid of USC and Ark to make room.

We'd be glad to come. A&M, and to a lesser extent Texass, are more like SEC schools and fans than Big 12 schools.

I'm still pissed we didn't join the SEC in 1995. It would have meant more money, more exposure, better roadtrips and a big F U to Ann Richards.

ncnd

Aggies are [CENSORED] pissing me off

-------------------------
I will thank arkansas for defeating santa anna after they apologize for not being able to defend their own state during the civil war. Texas was the ONLY unconquered state when the civil war ended (see Palmito Ranch). We only surrendered months after the war ended (june 19th) because 12 other LOSER sec states like arkansas couldn't prevent the yankees from overrunning their LOSER states and it was pointless to be a confederacy of 1 state.

The moral: TEXAS >>>>>>> sec states.

Also, arky fans, don't you hate it when schools that have only been sec members for 20 years and spent most of their history in a different conference act as if they have always been in the sec and have a big history with other sec schools?

ncnd

Could this be the guy that tagged DRRS
---------------------------

OrangeBlue
user level: Pro   posted 7:59p, 07/10/09this user's public profilesend private message to useredit this replyobject to this reply

quote:There really isn't an SEC fanbase that truly thinks its better than everyone else, like the sips do.

Uhh....really? Been around any bama fans?
Apparently not.

ncnd

Sad but true
----------------

El Agglos
user level: Rookie   posted 2:50p, 07/11/09this user's public profilesend private message to useredit this replyobject to this reply

We don't look forward to playing northern teams, except iowa state right now, either. I will point out akrie and Mizzou would be a big rivalry game. I already explained in my previous post the whole recruiting reason why arky would have been better off in the big 12. Also If a&m is struggling against baylor and k-state why would i rather be in the SEC? The difference between normal fans and sec fans is simple. Arky fans will brag SEC when their rival LSU won the cws. An aggie would never brag big 12 when the sips destroyed arky last season. All that matters is what A&M accomplishes, not other teams in our conference and especially not our rivals.

-----------------------
B.t.w. what are sips

VenturaHog

ncnd

Quote from: ROAD HOGG on July 11, 2009, 03:33:55 pm
This is a very good Thread and for the most part is true about "The South." The South is still united as a group of 'CONSERVATIVE STATES' Politically speaking. One could make a argument that Arkansas is unlike the other Southern States, politically, but the South remains solid in standing for Freedom and Personal Rights. We are the most productive part of the nation with Texas being counted.

We have the Best Looking Women, Best Football and most other sports, Best Food and some great people! I value my Southern Heritage more than any association with the likes of CA, NY, NJ, IL, RI, MN, CT, NH, PA, DE and other states filled with Political Parasites. Let The South Remain FREE!!

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0609/Sanford_confesses_infidelity_asks_forgiveness.html

This years NCAA National Football Champion will be the Winner of the SEC Championship Game, one more time. Either Florida or Bama! Go SEC, the best Football that is not Played on Sunday....

A choked-up South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford issued a raw apology to his wife, family, staff, friends, in-laws, people of faith, and South Carolinians for "creating a fiction with regard to where I was going" and cheating on his wife.

Jabroni

July 11, 2009, 05:02:42 pm #23 Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 05:05:08 pm by HawgWildFan
Quote from: NWASooner on July 11, 2009, 02:25:45 pm
The Big 12, however, is spread across the Midwest and Texas.  Texans are pretty excited about being Texans but outside of that, no one really cares in Big 12 country.

The SEC chest beating has more to do with Southern pride and defiance than anything else.

I lived in Texas for almost a year. This is the truest statement I've heard in a long time.

Quote from: ncnd on July 11, 2009, 03:01:25 pm
Sad but true
----------------

El Agglos
user level: Rookie   posted 2:50p, 07/11/09

We don't look forward to playing northern teams, except iowa state right now, either. I will point out akrie and Mizzou would be a big rivalry game. I already explained in my previous post the whole recruiting reason why arky would have been better off in the big 12. Also If a&m is struggling against baylor and k-state why would i rather be in the SEC? The difference between normal fans and sec fans is simple. Arky fans will brag SEC when their rival LSU won the cws. An aggie would never brag big 12 when the sips destroyed arky last season. All that matters is what A&M accomplishes, not other teams in our conference and especially not our rivals.
-----------------------

August 30, 2008
Kyle Field - College Station, TX
Arkansas State Redwolves - W - 18
Texas A&M Aggies            - L  - 14

That is all.
Thank you.

Jborohog09

Quote from: HawgWildFan on July 11, 2009, 05:02:42 pm
August 30, 2008
Kyle Field - College Station, TX
Arkansas State Redwolves - W - 18
Texas A&M Aggies            - L  - 14

That is all.
Thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8ac6dhhVvo

SRFL

NCND, I don't stir or troll TA.com.  I've been there a long long time only the normal userID is not SRFL.  Second point/question is this:  What's it to ya?  I represent Arkansas...no one else.  Can you say the same?

SRFL

BTW, http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/college/national-top-public

Did I misrepresent us in any rankings?

Now, if you want to go off of ALL schools, including those that do no play football...

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/college/national-search

So if ATM (and NCND) wants to bicker about Carnegie Mellon and MIT being in front of all of us...so be it.

rogersvillemohog

QuoteBecause fans in the Big XII kill each other, rip each other's testicles off, make fun of rival's tragedies and generally dislike each other. Oh and they are smarter than most SEC fans.

Poor ag... He thinks we don't do that in the SEC.... HAHAHA!!!
Arkansas Football: It's the players running through the A, Hog Hats, and Big Red. It's more than 70,000 fans calling, "WOO PIG SOOIE!"

Arkansas Football: It's the State of Arkansas banding together behind one team, and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are... chosen. They wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks.

Together we stand as tall as the towers of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walk. And our blood flows Razorbacks Red. For 100 years we've been Hogwild and today we continue the tradition.

We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

Root66

Quote from: SRFL on July 11, 2009, 05:43:23 pm
BTW, http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/college/national-top-public

Did I misrepresent us in any rankings?

Now, if you want to go off of ALL schools, including those that do no play football...

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/college/national-search

So if ATM (and NCND) wants to bicker about Carnegie Mellon and MIT being in front of all of us...so be it.

SRFL...don't worry about what NCND says, thinks or farts. I found out all about NCND and how much he knows about college football with this post right here.

Quote from: ncnd on July 01, 2009, 12:38:32 pm
Which is Odd because once Hatfield bolted to Clemson he actually won a national championship. At this point I along with Broyles realized Arkansas was not a school that was possible to win a national championship at. Therefore he moved us from the now defunct SWC because he saw the writing on the wall. Stop blaming coaches and realize in 1990 We WERE POOR OLD ARKANSAS.
How else does a mediocre coach go less than .5000 during his stint at Arkansas and win a NC in Clemson: through piss poor recruiting and falling into talent.

This guy (or maybe girl) is a 22 year old college football illiterate, who will copy and paste practically an entire thread from another forum to try and impress somebody. GEESUS.

Root66

By the way, when Ken Hatfield bolted for Clemson in January, 1990 the 22 year old ncnd would have be 3 years old and no older than age seven when Hatfield departed Clemson after "winning a national championship" after the 1993 season. This guy ncnd cannot be taken seriously.

SRFL

IMO, SEC pride stems not only from pride itself but from a determination to continue what all others now know.  We are the best.  To be able for all SEC teams to chant, period, all 12 have to do their part.  Each of the other 11 see "we" have held up our end of the bargain in OOC games and tout "us" and the SEC as a whole as superior.  So we chant.  And we love it.  All 12 of us.

Relative to "SEC Pride" the best win of my time as an SEC Hog fan came just last year.  Vandy.  We all know Vandy is a perennial football lag behind but 101% of the SEC ROARED when they won their bowl game.  It was incredibly moving to watch Vandy do something they haven't in such a long time.  They represented the SEC well that night and I have a feeling they not only felt Vandy pride but SEC pride when lifting that trophy.  The Big 12 teams can't feel that same feeling and, well, it's their loss. 

And that is what sets us apart.  We will all fight you tooth and nail for the right to chant...loudly and proudly.

Fisticuffs

I gotta say i was pullin for LSU in the CWS because theyre SEC but if they were playin anyone other than Texas I probably wouldve been for that team.

31to6

Quote from: NWASooner on July 11, 2009, 02:25:45 pm
The only exception is the state of Florida.  The farther South you get in Florida, the less Southern it is and the less amped they get about the SEC.
Driving south in Florida is a geological oddity. The further south you drive the more rude yankees you have to deal with. The panhandle and central inland areas are all Gator and Seminole country.

McKdaddy

July 11, 2009, 09:14:30 pm #33 Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 09:16:26 pm by McKdaddy
Quote from: NolanForAD on July 11, 2009, 05:19:36 pm
("sips" are Texas fans.  It stands for Tea-sipper which is an excellent description or those arrogant imbeciles.)

I love the term "sip". It began during WW2, when supposedly many t.u. students were able to avoid war thanks to the silver spoon they were born with.

Meanwhile, A&M had more students go to fight in WW2 than any other non-academy school. It was juxtaposed that the t.u. young men were sipping tea while the fightin' texas aggie was off defending the country.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

The real Hogules

For those to young to remember when we were leaving the SWC our last season in football was miserable and almost to a team as our Razorbacks were exiting the field after each defeat our players got an ear full from our SWC opponents fans chanting "SEC SEC SEC".

I find it quite humorous that now we're the ones doing the chanting and it seems to bother Big12 schools, such as Texas A&M a wole lot.

That just gives me one more reason to shout it out loud and proud, after we hand A&M their head in Dallas this Fall!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

NWASooner

Quote from: NolanForAD on July 11, 2009, 07:15:25 pm
Have to agree with that analysis.  What do you think of NWASooner?

You're thinking of me on a Saturday night.  I'm not sure how I feel about that.

NWASooner

Quote from: 31to6 on July 11, 2009, 08:11:21 pm
Driving south in Florida is a geological oddity. The further south you drive the more rude yankees you have to deal with. The panhandle and central inland areas are all Gator and Seminole country.

The weird thing about Florida to me is that the western part of the state is almost exclusively Midwestern transplants and the east coast is transplants from the Northeast and there's VERY little overlap.  You don't see New Yorkers in Tampa or Ft. Myers and you don't see people from Michigan in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale.  However, if you get into Central Florida it gets VERY southern.

In general, though, Florida sucks.  I'm not a fan.

Root66

Quote from: NolanForAD on July 11, 2009, 07:15:25 pm
Have to agree with that analysis.  What do you think of NWASooner?

I haven't paid enough attention to his posts to form an opinion, one way or the other.

mizzousteve

Quote from: NolanForAD on July 11, 2009, 06:48:09 pm
The REAL reason the you hear S-E-C chants is because it hurts.   It conjures up the image of playing in front of 75,000 to 110,000 fans at Alabama, Tennessee, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Florida, Arkansas, South Carolina, etc...  No one would chant Big12 because that would conjure up the image of half-empty 50,000 seat stadiums from Iowa State to Waco and all in-between.

I don't think that is the reason. If it were the case then Big Ten fans would chant their conference's name because there have very large stadiums in that league too. Personally I just don't get the chant, I'd take more pride in my schools accomplishment than whatever league you are a part of. When the Steelers won the Super Bowl their fans weren't chanting "AFC North." Nor did Phillies fans chant "NL East" when they won the World Series. Geographically the SEC seems to have more of a common identity so I am sure that aids in the unity, but still it seems silly. I have nothing against most other Big XII schools but I don't really ever pull for them in non-conference play.

rogersvillemohog

Quote from: mizzousteve on July 11, 2009, 11:21:48 pm
I don't think that is the reason. If it were the case then Big Ten fans would chant their conference's name because there have very large stadiums in that league too. Personally I just don't get the chant, I'd take more pride in my schools accomplishment than whatever league you are a part of. When the Steelers won the Super Bowl their fans weren't chanting "AFC North." Nor did Phillies fans chant "NL East" when they won the World Series. Geographically the SEC seems to have more of a common identity so I am sure that aids in the unity, but still it seems silly. I have nothing against most other Big XII schools but I don't really ever pull for them in non-conference play.
You bring up a good point...
Arkansas Football: It's the players running through the A, Hog Hats, and Big Red. It's more than 70,000 fans calling, "WOO PIG SOOIE!"

Arkansas Football: It's the State of Arkansas banding together behind one team, and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are... chosen. They wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks.

Together we stand as tall as the towers of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walk. And our blood flows Razorbacks Red. For 100 years we've been Hogwild and today we continue the tradition.

Root66

Quote from: mizzousteve on July 11, 2009, 11:21:48 pm
Personally I just don't get the chant,

Well of course you don't. You never will either. It's just a matter of pride to be part of the best there is and you ain't.

mizzousteve

Quote from: NolanForAD on July 11, 2009, 11:30:09 pm
The stadiums are incidental.  It about the BIG-TIME rubbing it in the nose of the small-potatoes.

That doesn't seem too terribly classy if that is the case.

mizzousteve

Quote from: NolanForAD on July 11, 2009, 11:39:22 pm
Want to know the truth?   Its really pretty obvious.  S-E-C makes for a good chant.  Trying to chant BIG - TWELVE would sound goofier than that "TEXAS - FIGHT" thing they do in Austin.  Otherwise, they would do it too.

Ha. You have a point there. I have nothing against the SEC, it clearly is superior to any other conference at the moment. The unity is pretty amazing too.

ncnd

Quote from: NWASooner on July 11, 2009, 10:30:54 pm
The weird thing about Florida to me is that the western part of the state is almost exclusively Midwestern transplants and the east coast is transplants from the Northeast and there's VERY little overlap.  You don't see New Yorkers in Tampa or Ft. Myers and you don't see people from Michigan in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale.  However, if you get into Central Florida it gets VERY southern.

In general, though, Florida sucks.  I'm not a fan.

Florida is the best D-I football state in the Union. Their top 3 teams can take any other state's top three teams in terms of tradition, power, and excellence. Their top 3 teams are all NC winning teams with winning history.

Florida Top 3: Florida Gators, Miami, FSU
California Top 3: USC, UCLA, Stanford
Texas Top 3: Texas Longhorns, Texas Tech, Texas A&M
Arkansas Top 3: Arkansas Razorbacks, UCA, ASU Redwolves

rogersvillemohog

Quote from: ncnd on July 11, 2009, 11:53:12 pm
Florida is the best D-I football state in the Union. Their top 3 teams can take any other state's top three teams in terms of tradition, power, and excellence. Their top 3 teams are all NC winning teams with winning history.

Arkansas Top 3: Arkansas Razorbacks, ASU, UCA
Fixed that for ya.

Fisticuffs

Quote from: ncnd on July 11, 2009, 11:53:12 pm

Arkansas Top 3: Arkansas Razorbacks, UCA, ASU Redwolves
tradition, power, and excellence are very important things to have... but just as important, i'd like to include prestige, superiority, and powerfulness as well

RedSatinHog

Quote from: ncnd on July 11, 2009, 02:58:35 pm

Also, arky fans, don't you hate it when schools that have only been sec members for 20 years and spent most of their history in a different conference act as if they have always been in the sec and have a big history with other sec schools?

No, we just take into consideration your remarks about Clemson winning an NC under Hatfield.  That tells us everything we need to know about your knowledge of CFB.

But look at it this way:  If A&M had joined the SEC, they'd be a perennial doormat in the conference. 
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

Michael Porkleone

Hogville members - don't push those guys over there...they respond with gay porn.
Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Uberanubis

A&M is mad because WE GOT AWAY FORM PLAYING TEXAS SCHOOLS. we were the bastard child of the SWC because we were not in Texas. i for one am proud we got out of that conference and away from those teams or we might be EXACTLY where A&M is.

Most of the S-E-C chants didn't really start until the last 5-6 years, around the time when really took over as the POWER conference.

oh and i for one always love to spin things in a positive perspective, i.e. LSU win the CWS, had we not been beaten by the champs then there's a really good shot we could have won it kind of attitude. IMO is the attitude of a lot of SEC schools.

plus with the power house names that can win a title year in and year out, depending on the bounce of a ball some times, why not chant S-E-C.

and last but not least, if im not mistaken, when it comes to polls in foot ball, a teams opponents win/loss record is also factored in? so any sec school for sure need to be perfect in non-conference games. except ole piss this year. they are the only exception for this year.

non-conference games aren't that important when it comes to a win loss record unless we have an actual BCS school scheduled. we do want a winning record but not as important.

Texas schools can keep playing Texas schools, that way you can stay right where you are when it comes to power rankings. sorry guys but when you only play out side the state like 2-3 times a year you don't get much exposure. have fun recruiting.

oh and..............

S-E-C S-E-C S-E-C
Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 31, 2015, 11:37:05 am
I think it's a common event whether it is in AR or around the world where a group of Hog fans get together.  I've seen it in TN, TX, LA and in Germany.  Being a Razorback is like being in a brotherhood.  When the brotherhood meet, they call the Hogs.

SRFL

July 12, 2009, 01:19:46 am #49 Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 01:21:58 am by SRFL
Quote from: Michael Porkleone on July 12, 2009, 12:51:51 am
Hogville members - don't push those guys over there...they respond with gay porn.

http://glbta.tamu.edu/main.php